What Are You "OCD" About?

Comments

• rjp217rjp217 Boston, MA 399WRX Points: 116Handicap: 3.7Members Posts: 399 Greens
    Three things come to mind:

1) Club cleaning

2) Divot fixing

3) Tees in the left pocket, divot tool in the right
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M3 9.5* (Tensei Pro White 70TX)
    P790UDI 2 (Aldila RIP Alpha 105X)
    Mizuno MP18: MMC FH 3-4 / MMC 5-6 / SC 7-8 / MB 9-PW (KBS Tour 130X)
    Cleveland RTX4 Black 50* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    Cleveland RTX3 Raw 54* / 60* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    '18 TM O-Works 7CH (Black Steel)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • chippa13chippa13  2519WRX Points: 327Members Posts: 2,519 Titanium Tees
    LeftDaddy wrote:

You should be OCD about your routine prior to hitting a shot. Read the Bob Rotella books and he will explain how important a routine is.

I’m not OCD about anything anywhere. I’m the least ocd person I know.

That said, I try to be ocd about routine because I’ve read this in a few books etc. So, I’ve spent the better part of the last two years finding a routine that I like. And guess what...it hasn’t done a **** thing for my scores.

What I’ve come to believe is that it is routine coupled with getting yourself ready for the shot. In other words, just obsessively following a routine for routine’s sake is basically useless. But if that routine is designed to get you ready to pull the trigger and commit to a shot, then it becomes useful. But that, by definition, will mean that the routine has to vary a little (and will drive the ocd types crazy).

Pre-shot routine shouldn't get you "ready to pull the trigger". It should get you ready to make the intended shot.
    Posted:
  • Bushwood Country ClubBushwood Country Club Bushwood Country Club  903WRX Points: 117Handicap: 8.8Members Posts: 903 Golden Tee
    Sean2 wrote:

GolfNuts4 wrote:
    I have to immediately take any stickers off my shafts after purchasing and rub down with Goo Gone. Drives me nuts and many of my buddies leave their stickers and price stickers on the club forever, doesn't bother them at all.

I do the same thing, and feel the same way.

THIS FOR SURE
    Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST, Tensei Orange  
    • Ping G410 3 wood, Ping Alta Shaft
    • Ping G410 3 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Forged  5-9, Nippon Modus 105
    • Callaway Jaws MD5 46,50,54,58/
    • Scotty Cameron Newport 3
  • Bushwood Country ClubBushwood Country Club Bushwood Country Club  903WRX Points: 117Handicap: 8.8Members Posts: 903 Golden Tee
    - 9 new balls in the bag, all freshly marked

- clubs in proper slots in 5 way bag

- cleaned clubs

- bag packed according to checklist

- ballmarker and pitch mark tool in front right pocket

- 2 new gloves in bag, along with 2 other recently used gloves

- First beer only after I’ve hit the tee shot on 17

- clean shoes to start the round

- broken or found tee anytime I’m hitting less than driver
    Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST, Tensei Orange  
    • Ping G410 3 wood, Ping Alta Shaft
    • Ping G410 3 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Forged  5-9, Nippon Modus 105
    • Callaway Jaws MD5 46,50,54,58/
    • Scotty Cameron Newport 3
  • phiyaphiya  8WRX Points: 0Handicap: 14Members Posts: 8 Bunkers
    Maintaining the course. Grab your divot if you can and replace the grass, add a little sand to keep it level, fix pitch marks on the green. I play this course 2-3 times a week, might as well work to keep it nice!
    Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9* Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FW Callaway Rogue 3w Project X Evenflow Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: 3h Callaway Rogue Project X Evenflow Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons 4 thru PW Callaway Apex CF 16 True Temper x95 S300[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: 52* Cleveland CG14, 56* & 60* Callaway Mack Daddy 2[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter- Cleveland VP109[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bag-- Callaway Org 14[/font]
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve  2643WRX Points: 506Handicap: 11Members Posts: 2,643 Titanium Tees
    When you're in line at Chik-Fil-A, look at the menu and make a decision so that when it's your turn at the register, you're ready to order.....................please.
    Posted:
    • Cobra S2 Max 10.5*
    • Tour Edge HL3 5w
    • Callaway Rogue 6h
    • Cobra Max 7-W
    • Cleveland CG16 52* & 56*
    • Scotty Fastback

Advertisement
  • XWIUhacker3XWIUhacker3  109WRX Points: 22Handicap: 2Members Posts: 109 Fairways
    Leaving my wife at home 🤷‍♂️
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Tour AD DI 7s
    KZG 3 Wood AD DI 6s
    Callaway X Forged 19° UT 
    New Level 623-M 4-PW DG 120s
    Titleist Vokey 52*
    Titleist Vokey 56*
    Titleist Vokey 58*
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless 303
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy  1203WRX Points: 216Handicap: 15Members Posts: 1,203 Platinum Tees
    I wash my balls like crazy.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R - CAMO!
    Cobra F9 15* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • AThompson_3AThompson_3  1452WRX Points: 125Members Posts: 1,452 Platinum Tees
    My OCD Where Do I Start:

- 14 Way Divider is a must.

- Only play Pro V1x #3’s

- Left pocket has to be empty while playing. Right pocket has 3 tees, divot tool, and ball marker at all times. Back right pocket is for glove when not being worn. Back left pocket is for yardage book/ scorecard holder.

- Perhaps the most OCD thing though is brand matching. If there are any visible logos they have to match. No Nike shirt with UA pants. I counteract this by buying mostly pants and shorts with no visible logos to make matching a lot easier. If I’m wearing FJ shoes I can’t wear apparel from a brand that also makes golf shoes so no footjoy shoes with Nike, UA, or Adidas shirt and vice versa. Because of this OCD I have been gravitating more towards apparel brands that don’t offer head to toe attire: Polo/ RLX, Greyson, and Vineyard Vines.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana D+ 70X
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 19* Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Black 9X
    Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-P DGTI X100
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 55S, 60M Project X 6.5
    Putter(s): Odyssey O Works 7s Black, Bettinardi BB1F
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four-5
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac  662WRX Points: 329Members Posts: 662 Golden Tee
    • Two golf balls in my right pocket when I approach the tee box.
    • Clean the tee box of tees; broken ones are brushed aside, unbroken ones go in my bag.
    • Clubs have to go in the same slot every time, so please don't touch them. No, really, don't touch my clubs...
    • Please don't sit in the cart watching me hit my approach shot. Get your club and let's keep this moving.
    Posted:
  • tomc262tomc262  93WRX Points: 41Handicap: 9Members Posts: 93 Fairways
    MPG wrote:

I use the same grips across all my clubs but i cannot stand having grips that are slightly off (i mean slightly) and my club fitter thinks i am crazy because I will notice the smallest thing and have him remove and replace it again. He has gotten real good and hitting the mark everytime now. I have gotten smart now and moved to the ALL BLACK NO1 grips so that this does not bother me. I have the same problem with shafts in my irons and wedges - i use Nippon and turn down the logo but if I see that logo at all i must reshaft it. I know i could probably remove the logo but that hurts resale image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> so once i get them configured I feel better.

Regarding golf balls - i need to start each round with a brand new golf ball - Now, if I lose that ball during the round then I can go to the older balls with no problems.

I know i have problems but i think this is my way to stop my ho'ing from getting out of control because it takes me too long to get it perfect (in my eyes at least)

+1 on beginning the round with a new ball.
    Posted:
    Titleist 905T Fujikura Speeder
    Callaway SteelheadXR 4+ (16*)
    Titleist 816h2 19* Hybrid (Set to 18*)
    Ben Hogan Golf Ft. Worth Black 4-PW
    Vokey SM7 Black 52, 68
    Ping Zing2 BeCu

Advertisement
  • mds5062mds5062  78WRX Points: 15Members Posts: 78 Fairways
    half to have my rangefinder in the cart, ball marker in my pocket, glove(s) out and ready and towels set up. My partners are in the cart and ready to go in 5 seconds and i'm still putting my shoes on and then this whole routine. Drives them nuts
    Posted:
  • slicktryslicktry @meximenno  2579WRX Points: 135Handicap: 3.5Members Posts: 2,579 Titanium Tees
    Have to use a Wedge Tee for the driver. Super duper odd, but slightly OCD. Also, if I'm putting bad it is the ball markers fault. Carry several for that exact reason.

God Bless

Jer
    Posted:
    Epic Flash SubZero 9* w/ DI-7X
    '16 M2 DF 13* w/ DI-9TX
    18* Gapr Mid w/ Modus 110gm X Proto
    4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
    52* TM EF w/ C Taper S+
    58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
    64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
    Spider Tour Black 33.5" w/BGT Stability Shaft
  • mupepperboymupepperboy  110WRX Points: 38Members Posts: 110 Fairways
    Putting out. That IS your score. Don’t scrape them all away when they’re within 6 feet!!!
    Posted:
  • Railroading13Railroading13 Nebraska 693WRX Points: 159Handicap: 2Members Posts: 693 Golden Tee
    Stickers on the shaft have to go, no dirt on the club face ever, all clubs must have the same grips
    Posted:
    WITB

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 8.5  HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 14.5   Fujikura Pro 73 X
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 18.5 Diamana Ahina 80X
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4-5 Project X 6.5
    Mizuno MP18 SC 6-PW Project X 6.5
    Mizuno S18  52 degrees
    Mizuno T5  56 and 62
    Odyssey O Works 7s
  • kgeisler13kgeisler13  394WRX Points: 64Handicap: 6ClubWRX Posts: 394 ClubWRX
    My clubs have to be in the proper golf bag pockets. I hate when someone looks at my clubs and proceeds to put them in a different pocket than where they took it.
    Posted:
    KG

Advertisement
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall  3481WRX Points: 264Members Posts: 3,481 Titanium Tees
    He leaves a lot of ball marks and divots on the course cause JP knows there are a pant load of guys on the course fixated on repairing them.

Posted:
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Titleist 909H 21*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 24*
    Mizuno Yoro MP-15 5-PW
    Mizuno MP T7 52* 58*
    Odyssey White Hot #6
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey  525WRX Points: 246Members Posts: 525 Golden Tee
    I'm "OCD" about people calling just being picky, OCD. Real OCD is no joke.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ponti33602ponti33602  87WRX Points: 15Handicap: 1000Members Posts: 87 Fairways
    kgeisler13 wrote:

My clubs have to be in the proper golf bag pockets. I hate when someone looks at my clubs and proceeds to put them in a different pocket than where they took it.

+1 ...this is mine.....each of the 5 compartments on my Ping Hoofer has to have the proper clubs in them and in the proper order as well.
    Posted:
    Ping ISI BeNi 3-LW
    Ping Zing 3-SW
    Ping Pal 4 BeCu (3)
    Ping Scottsdale Anser BeNi **Sold**
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Machine M10 Adjuster CU
    MannKrafted MA/66 SS **Sold**
  • TocgolferTocgolfer  56WRX Points: 43Members Posts: 56 Bunkers
    exhaleing on my back swing

Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Sonja HenieSonja Henie  249WRX Points: 86Handicap: 7.5Members Posts: 249 Fairways
    Keeping my balls warm.
    Posted:

Ping G400 Max, Hzrdus Black 6.5
    Ping G400 3 Wood 14.5*
    Ping G400 3H 19* or Srixon ZU65 19*
    Srixon Z545 (4-5), Srixon Z765 (6-7), Srixon Z945 (8-PW)
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 & 58
    Odyssey O-Works 7S
    Srixon Z Star XV

Advertisement
  • StrömsborgStrömsborg Stockholm 594WRX Points: 168Handicap: 2.8Members Posts: 594 Golden Tee
    I have long hair and if it gets in my eyes when I'm over the ball It drives me mad, so I always bring a visor or if its cold a knitted hat.

Once I had neither but my buddy had a roll of electrical tape in his bag. I lost a lot of hair when unwinding after the round.
    Posted:
    Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?

Titleist 910 8.5°
    TM SLDR S 17°
    Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° and 24°
    Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
    Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
    Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?
  • jpking17jpking17  151WRX Points: 56Members Posts: 151 Fairways
    Put on chapstick before the round, everything out of my pockets except for a few tees, divot tool, always use a dime as a ball marker (put a red X on it in case someone else is using a dime).
    Posted:
  • PMACGolfPMACGolf  62WRX Points: 31Handicap: 3.5Members Posts: 62 Bunkers
    When I lay the ball down to putt, I want only white showing, nothing else
    Posted:
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve  2643WRX Points: 506Handicap: 11Members Posts: 2,643 Titanium Tees
    I have to have all my irons in # order and facing the same direction in the bag.
    Posted:
    • Cobra S2 Max 10.5*
    • Tour Edge HL3 5w
    • Callaway Rogue 6h
    • Cobra Max 7-W
    • Cleveland CG16 52* & 56*
    • Scotty Fastback
  • GraymulliganGraymulligan  2438WRX Points: 141Handicap: 8ishMembers Posts: 2,438 Platinum Tees
    nemoblack wrote:

Amen. People who think OCD means adorable picky things that don't impact your life haven't suffered from it, or known anyone who has. It's sort of like using retarded as an adjective, I thought we'd moved past stuff like that.
    Posted:
    M5 w/Rogue
    Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
    RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
    PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
    MD3 50/54/58
    Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

Advertisement
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey  525WRX Points: 246Members Posts: 525 Golden Tee

Amen. People who think OCD means adorable picky things that don't impact your life haven't suffered from it, or known anyone who has. It's sort of like using retarded as an adjective, I thought we'd moved past stuff like that.

Yep - it has become this cute, trendy description that is almost a term of endearment, or even a compliment.
    Posted:
  • Jwink1586Jwink1586  14WRX Points: 2Handicap: 3Members Posts: 14 Bunkers
    Im an athlete and most have quite a few OCD habits. However the one that I feel is most stupid, but I still do it, is make sure I have four tees in my pocket to start a round. I almost never finish with four but I always start with four.
    Posted:
  • BiggErnBiggErn  2740WRX Points: 627Members Posts: 2,740 Titanium Tees
    nemoblack wrote:

Yes we’ve moved from thick skin to being sensitive over every minute thing. I think it’s crazy some people are ocd over some things. Oops I used crazy.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14985WRX Points: 1,000ClubWRX Posts: 14,985 ClubWRX
    BiggErn wrote:

nemoblack wrote:

Yes we’ve moved from thick skin to being sensitive over every minute thing. I think it’s crazy some people are ocd over some things. Oops I used crazy.

I’m tired of, and offended by being described as bald. I now choose to be “follicly challenged”.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.