Worst Player to win a Major?

MwscgolfMwscgolf Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
Was talking with my golf groups after the US Open, and we got to talking on this subject.

Worst Player to Win a Major?

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but I thought there might be some good answers.

My top votes?

Keegan Bradley

Jason Dufner

Y.E Yang

Not so much to blast those players, but there are definitely players that deserve a major over these guys.

Give me your best.
Tour Issue Callaway Rogue 9.0 deg, Oban Hashimoto, 05 flex
Titleist 915f 16.5, Oban Devotion 7, 04 flex tipped 1"
Callaway Legacy Black 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120X
Callaway MD3 52* W, Nippon Modus 120X
Callaway MD3 58* S, Nippon Modus 120X
Piretti Potenza Limited 360g 34"
Titleist Pro V1
Tagged:

Comments

• Coach RexCoach Rex Members Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Is this a troll post? No one "deserves" a major. All of those "bad" players had to earn it. If i were to entertain your question then the answer would clearly be Todd Hamilton.
  • TurbsinthebunkTurbsinthebunk Members Posts: 66
    Bradley and Dufner are your top votes? Over these likes of Michael Campbell, Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, Shaun Micheel?
  • MwscgolfMwscgolf Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Coach Rex wrote:

Is this a troll post? No one "deserves" a major. All of those "bad" players had to earn it. If i were to entertain your question then the answer would clearly be Todd Hamilton.

Not a troll post at all....

You're right, everyone has to earn it, never said they didn't.

You came up with an answer to the question, which was the point of the topic.

I have my answers, I wasn't trying to offend anyone, just getting different perspectives...
    Titleist Pro V1
  • cphreycphrey #SLDRChallenger Members Posts: 1,828 ✭✭
    Micheel or Hamilton for sure...totally disappeared and have never been heard from again. Even though I love the guy, John Daly could be on the list I guess...one or two great years and then just a circus after that. Still gotta hit the shots, drain the putts, and play all 72 holes or more though.
    Callaway GBB 9* (set at 11*) Diamana S+ Blueboard 60X
    TM SLDR Mini 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m X
    TM SLDR 5 wood Matrix Black Tie 8m3 S
    TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
    SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
    TM ATV 52
    Callaway MD 2 54 & 58 KBS wedge
    TM SpiderBlade Custom
  • jmckjmck Members Posts: 4,277 ✭✭
    edited Jun 30, 2016 #6
    It's either Jack Fleck or Orville Moody--though Moody went on to have a good Sr. career, he stunk it up pretty good before and after winning a US Open.

In the modern era it's a pick'em between: Rich Beem, Wayne Grady, Shaun Micheel, Michael Campbell, Steve Jones, Paul Lawrie and Todd Hamilton.

I have no idea how anyone could put Duffner on their list.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Ryanunc12Ryanunc12 Members Posts: 23
    Isn't Justin Leonard in the mix here?
  • Ryanunc12Ryanunc12 Members Posts: 23
    Never mind, I just looked up his profile. Didn't realize how many wins he has. Was before my interest in watching golf really kicked in...
  • KnightPSKnightPS Members Posts: 283 ✭✭
    Michael Campbell
    TaylorMade M2 - Stock
    TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 - 3w
    Titleist 915Hd 21° Aldila Rogue Black 85H
    Titleist AP2 FST KBS Tour X 4-PW
    Vokey SM5 52' 56' 60'
    Bettinardi BB43
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,853 ✭✭
    Andy North, and he won two US Opens. Both ugly, and might not have won one if not for the double hit by TC Chen. At Cherry Hills, every drive looked like it came right off the heel, and he played 18 in the final round like one of the 20 hdcp members.
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 938 ✭✭
    edited Jun 30, 2016 #11

Bradley and Dufner are your top votes? Over these likes of Michael Campbell, Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, Shaun Micheel?

I'm a little biased, I played with Ben Curtis a couple of times in high school, but let's look at his record. He won 4 PGA Tour events including his Open Championship, had another T2 in the 2008 PGA Championship, played on a winning a Ryder Cup team in 2008 (where he went 1-1-1 including beating Lee Westwood in singles), and was at one time the number 1 ranked amateur in the world. Of the names you listed Shaun Micheel is easily the least accomplished.
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭
    Keegan is probably would have continued his success if it wasn't for the anchor ban. Tee to Green he is still one the best on tour, but he has no faith in his putter anymore. He has new one every single week pretty much and has tried various different grips and styles.

Dufner won his major and then had injury. Lost a tremendous amount of weight and had to re learn to play golf at that size. Also he had to deal with his divorce, which is never easy.

Kaymer is doing pretty good considering he won his major, then change his swing and his mom did die in that time period. Life hasn't been easy for him
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,441 ✭✭
    Ryanunc12 wrote:

Isn't Justin Leonard in the mix here?

Not even close. Double digit tour wins, a Player's Championship. He's far closer to the HOF than this list.
  • moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭
    Lucas Glover. Although he did have 2 other wins.
    Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
    Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
    Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
    Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 52° 56° 60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,183 ✭✭
    edited Jun 30, 2016 #15

Keegan is probably would have continued his success if it wasn't for the anchor ban. Tee to Green he is still one the best on tour, but he has no faith in his putter anymore. He has new one every single week pretty much and has tried various different grips and styles.

Dufner won his major and then had injury. Lost a tremendous amount of weight and had to re learn to play golf at that size. Also he had to deal with his divorce, which is never easy.

Kaymer is doing pretty good considering he won his major, then change his swing and his mom did die in that time period. Life hasn't been easy for him

You could make a list of the 100 "worst players to win a major" and Kaymer wouldn't be on it.
  • that0neguythat0neguy Members Posts: 482
    edited Jun 30, 2016 #16
    Fred Herd, dude won with an 82 stroke average...what a chump!

Everyone and their brother could win a major back then!
  • LanDogLanDog Members Posts: 133 ✭✭
    edited Jun 30, 2016 #17
    It's Todd Hamilton isn't it? Surely? He didn't top 10 in another major apart from his win. Didn't make it on tour until well into his 30s as well I'm pretty sure
    Nike Vapor Pro 9.5° Diamana Blue Stiff
    Callaway GBB 14° Aldila NV Prototype Stiff
    Titleist 710CB 2-PW PX 6.0
    Callaway Mack Daddy 54° PM Grind 60°
    Edel Brick
  • MarkCPAMarkCPA Members Posts: 1,287 ✭✭
    edited Jun 30, 2016 #18
    Birdie Kim, 2005 US Women's Open Champion
    Taylor Made 2017 M1 driver 10.5*
    Mizuno GT180 15* FW
    Mizuno 2017 CLK 19* hybrid
    Callaway Rogue Pro irons 4 - PW
    Vokey TM7 wedges - 54* & 58*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne - 33"
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,441 ✭✭
    MarkCPA wrote:

Lol. I wonder if her and Hillary Lunke could win anything if they played a scramble vs the rest of the field.
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,183 ✭✭
    LanDog wrote:

It's Todd Hamilton isn't it? Surely? He didn't top 10 in another major apart from his win. Didn't make it on tour until well into his 30s as well I'm pretty sure

Among recent guys, I'd say Micheel. Hamilton won the Honda the same year as the Open. He also won quite a few events in Japan.
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,557 ✭✭
    Steve Jones won 8 PGA Tour events over a 10-year period. Take him off the list.

Everyone who won a Major deserved it, that week.
    PING Rapture V1 Driver 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* & 23* hybrids
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 46/54/58
    Odyssey #1WS
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 938 ✭✭

MarkCPA wrote:

Lol. I wonder if her and Hillary Lunke could win anything if they played a scramble vs the rest of the field.

They might have a shot at "early 2015 Tiger". Maybe.
  • jmckjmck Members Posts: 4,277 ✭✭
    BMC wrote:

Crossed him off my list. I had no idea he won eight times. Had his career totally wrong in my head.
  • vitaminstevevitaminsteve Banned Posts: 687
    Male: Shaun Micheel- 1 tour win (major), 1 Asian tour win, 1 Web.com win Or Orville Moody- 1 Tour win Major but did have a decent senior tour career

Female: Hillary Lunke- 1 major only win
    DBD
    CB Pro 15* & 18*
    Hybrid 20* 815
    Fourteen FH1000 4-p
    wedges fourteen
    To mental to choose
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,301 ✭✭
    Wayne Grady

Lucas Glover

Y E Yang

Shaun Micheel

Todd Hamilton

Ian Baker-Finch
  • crazy8golfercrazy8golfer Unregistered Posts: 1,292
    jmck wrote:

BMC wrote:

Crossed him off my list. I had no idea he won eight times. Had his career totally wrong in my head.
    Off topic, but Steve Jones was a nice guy. Got to play with him in a pro-am in Atlanta years ago. He was a very good putter, I believe using about a 28" to 30" putter.
  • setter02setter02 Domesticated Domicile Attendant. aka. House Husband Banned Posts: 2,617
    Altho he won a few events previous to his, what has drippy Cink done since '09?
    What's In The Ping Moonlite:
    Ping Rapture '14 13*
    Ping Rapture DI 18*
    Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
    Vokey TVD 54*
    Odyssey Tank V-Line
  • widow-makerwidow-maker Members Posts: 1,601 ✭✭
    Orville Moody was the worst putter to ever hit the PGA Tour. I mean, by far, the worst putter. 36 putts was a good round for him. But, he was also one of the best ball strikers to ever come out on Tour. Probably a better ball striker than Trevino. He was Calvin Peete like with his ball striking. Moody's success on the Senior Tour probably had a lot to do with going to the long putter.

I'd say Shaun Micheel in answer to the OP's question.
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
    Micheel. Though it was pretty cool to witness him stick his approach shot on the 72nd hole in-person.
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • MwscgolfMwscgolf Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Some good answers here. Thanks boys
    Titleist Pro V1
  • Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,769 ✭✭
    Micheel didn't win again but did at least finish 2nd in the PGA in 2006 to show good play in a major was no fluke. Curtis was the most unlikely at the time but had an ok career afterwards. Hamilton had a decent Japan Tour record but absolutely nothing after 2004. Rich Beem is another one, lost his game afterwards and hardly did much before it.

Michael Campbell shouldn't be on the list. Another one who lost his game after a major (there's a trend here) but 8 European Tour wins including the World Matchplay. I remember when he won the Irish Open in 2003 he was generally regarded as one of the best players on tour at the time. Shame what happened afterwards I suppose.