Worst Player to win a Major?

Comments

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,066 ✭✭
    setter02 wrote:

Altho he won a few events previous to his, what has drippy Cink done since '09?

Nothing. No wins and very few top 10s. And he has missed the cut in about 50% of his events.
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,522 ✭✭
    Golf can be "lightning in a bottle" for some guys. Very good players who have a hot week or year. It can go away as quickly.

Could Spieth become the next? Unlikely, but it is possible.
    PING OG Rapture 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* hybrid
    Cleveland CG2 irons 3-p
    Bridgestone Wedges 52/56
    Odyssey #1WS
  • Peter Jacobson

Had Roy only laid up on the par five he would have won
    image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
  • jjrjjr Members Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

Keegan is probably would have continued his success if it wasn't for the anchor ban. Tee to Green he is still one the best on tour, but he has no faith in his putter anymore. He has new one every single week pretty much and has tried various different grips and styles.

Dufner won his major and then had injury. Lost a tremendous amount of weight and had to re learn to play golf at that size. Also he had to deal with his divorce, which is never easy.

Kaymer is doing pretty good considering he won his major, then change his swing and his mom did die in that time period. Life hasn't been easy for him

Kaymer has won 2, my vote is for Yang, after Yang chipped in for birdie Tiger was never the same!
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,714 ✭✭
    edited Jun 30, 2016 #37
    cphrey wrote:

Micheel or Hamilton for sure...totally disappeared and have never been heard from again. Even though I love the guy, John Daly could be on the list I guess...one or two great years and then just a circus after that. Still gotta hit the shots, drain the putts, and play all 72 holes or more though.

JD may be an underchiever but he is a top 5 talent of the last 25 years. He is not even in the discussion of worst players to win a major. I'll throw Rich Beem into the mix with some of the others mentioned.

I think the thread title is unfair, as worst implies being bad. Every major winner is a very good golfer. Perhaps something like 'least likely golfer to catch lightning in a bottle during a major week' would be a more fitting title.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Ryanunc12Ryanunc12 Members Posts: 23

Ryanunc12 wrote:

Isn't Justin Leonard in the mix here?

Not even close. Double digit tour wins, a Player's Championship. He's far closer to the HOF than this list.

I know, you must have missed my post right after 😀
  • ArpeggiArpeggi Members Posts: 3,686
    Keegan Bradley by far
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
    Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
    Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Scotty Cameron 009[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Taylormade TP5x[/font]
  • Stewart Cink. No hate against the man himself, But I really wanted to see Watson pull it off.
    Driver: Ping Rapture V1 10.5*
    3W: TEE CB4 Tour 13*
    5W: Adams Speedline Fast 10 18*
    Irons: Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 52*,56*
    Putter: Wilson Staff Milled 8802
  • MdmspopMdmspop This is the year... Posts: 329 ✭✭
    Any consideration for Trevor Immelman?
    Mdmspop wrote:

Yes. But he did have 3 Euro wins.
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,004 ✭✭

Bradley and Dufner are your top votes? Over these likes of Michael Campbell, Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, Shaun Micheel?
    Ben Curtis has more PGA Tour wins (4) than Bradley and the same number as Dufner. Really shouldn't be considered

for the "worst" to win a major.
    edited Jul 1, 2016 #44

Keegan is probably would have continued his success if it wasn't for the anchor ban.

Uh no. Bradley won his last event on the PGA Tour in 2012. Anchoring was not banned until 2016.

Where was his continued success (success defined as winning) and great play from late 2012-2015?

It's just not his putting.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited Jun 30, 2016 #45

Mdmspop wrote:

Yes. But he did have 3 Euro wins.
    And another PGA Tour win two years before his Masters victory. Tiger finished 2nd in both of his PGA Tour wins.

Also won on his home tour (Sunshine) a handful of times as well. His Masters win also counts as a Euro Tour win.
  • ricknobertsricknoberts Posts: 407 ✭✭
    Micheel was the worst. One other top 20 in a major, no other wins on tour. Two other professional wins (Asian Tour and Nike Tour). Hamilton won twice on tour, and has 15 other professional wins. Orville Moody has to be up there as well.

This gets discussed a lot, though. What I think it more interesting is the worst player that has won multiple majors.
  • HankshankHankshank Posts: 1,520 ✭✭
    edited Jul 1, 2016 #47
    Mdmspop wrote:

He was(is?) a good player who lost it. As sharp as Oosthuizen or Schwartzel before his Master win.

That sometimes happens. Like that announcer with a double last name(forgot it) who won the Open but then lost it all. Or a Central Scandinavian player who you never heard of but was arguably more talented than Stenson and Parnevik. Lost Central Scandinavian Open in a playoff, never recovered.
  • rich13rich13 Members Posts: 318 ✭✭
    Good thread this.......reminds me of one of my favourite quotes, from (I think) Golf Digest, about the 1988 USPGA........

"An empty cab arrived at Oak Tree on Sunday.........and Jeff Sluman got out!"
  • apprenti23apprenti23 ClubWRX Posts: 3,885
    cdnglf wrote:

LanDog wrote:

It's Todd Hamilton isn't it? Surely? He didn't top 10 in another major apart from his win. Didn't make it on tour until well into his 30s as well I'm pretty sure

Among recent guys, I'd say Micheel. Hamilton won the Honda the same year as the Open. He also won quite a few events in Japan.

I'd be happy with any of their careers, even the guys who've never won a major! Todd Hamilton who has 17 professional wins was the non-Japanese born career money leader on the Japan Tour, PGA Tour rookie of the year, and won his first PGA Tour event, the Honda along with beating EE in a playoff for the Open. I'd say that's pretty good.
  • vitaminstevevitaminsteve Banned Posts: 687
    setter02 wrote:

Altho he won a few events previous to his, what has drippy Cink done since '09?
    Cink won the one Major 09 Open that has to the worst one to win. Everyone was for Watson, only family and friends for Cink. Plus he 3 putted on the 72nd hole from 15" to miss the playoff in the 01 US Open, second putt was a miss from 2"
    DBD
    CB Pro 15* & 18*
    Hybrid 20* 815
    Fourteen FH1000 4-p
    wedges fourteen
    To mental to choose
  • Conclusion: there are a lot of players who have won a major who had otherwise, unspectacular careers. And conversely, a lot of great players who have been held without.

I think most would rather have careers of Sergio/Westwood rather than Cink/Beem.

Another question would be, would you rather have 1 major of 5 regular tour wins (excluding big tournaments like The Players, Arnies, Jack's, etc...)?
  • MwscgolfMwscgolf Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
    bluesooner wrote:

Conclusion: there are a lot of players who have won a major who had otherwise, unspectacular careers. And conversely, a lot of great players who have been held without.

I think most would rather have careers of Sergio/Westwood rather than Cink/Beem.

Another question would be, would you rather have 1 major of 5 regular tour wins (excluding big tournaments like The Players, Arnies, Jack's, etc...)?

Good point.

There was an article somewhere about some anonymous players saying they'd rather win the FedEx cup than a major. So to answer your question, I'd probably lean towards the major, but for monetary reasons, it's hard to argue 5 wins. It is a business for these guys after all.
    Tour Issue Callaway Rogue 9.0 deg, Oban Hashimoto, 05 flex
    Titleist 915f 16.5, Oban Devotion 7, 04 flex tipped 1"
    Callaway Legacy Black 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120X
    Callaway MD3 52* W, Nippon Modus 120X
    Callaway MD3 58* S, Nippon Modus 120X
    Piretti Potenza Limited 360g 34"
    Titleist Pro V1
  • LanDogLanDog Posts: 133 ✭✭
    I wouldn't put Moody in there, he won a major with the putting yips, that's impressive I think
    Nike Vapor Pro 9.5° Diamana Blue Stiff
    Callaway GBB 14° Aldila NV Prototype Stiff
    Titleist 710CB 2-PW PX 6.0
    Callaway Mack Daddy 54° PM Grind 60°
    Edel Brick
  • FrostfieldFrostfield Posts: 894 ✭✭
    Y E Yang
  • DrudershDrudersh ClubWRX Posts: 2,902 ClubWRX
    KnightPS wrote:

Michael Campbell

Agreed. By far the worst modern era major winner.
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,091 ✭✭
    Drudersh wrote:

KnightPS wrote:

Michael Campbell

Agreed. By far the worst modern era major winner.

You are by far the worst judge of who the worst modern era major winner is.
  • ani5009ani5009 Posts: 295 ✭✭
    Lots of good ones on the thread so far. For my money, it would probably be either Y.E. Yang or Lucas Glover, although one could definitely make an argument for Cink and/or Keegan
    TM M2 2017 9.5*
    TM M2 3HL 16.5*
    TM P790 3 iron
    Ping iBlade 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T-5 50.07 54.08 58.08
    Bettinardi BB-01
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,091 ✭✭
    ani5009 wrote:

Lots of good ones on the thread so far. For my money, it would probably be either Y.E. Yang or Lucas Glover, although one could definitely make an argument for Cink and/or Keegan

Cink has 6 PGA Tour wins. He doesn't belong in this discussion.
  • jmckjmck Members Posts: 4,277 ✭✭
    edited Jul 1, 2016 #59
    LanDog wrote:

I wouldn't put Moody in there, he won a major with the putting yips, that's impressive I think

Yips or no, the problem with Moody is that one US Open is his one and only PGA tour win.
  • jmckjmck Members Posts: 4,277 ✭✭

Wayne Grady

Lucas Glover

Y E Yang

Shaun Micheel

Todd Hamilton

Ian Baker-Finch

Ian Baker-Finch was in the top 10 in OWGR the year he won the Open.
  • its probably a toss up between micheel or yang

but i'm going to say keegan bradley, just because he is so annoying! and lets face it he hasnt done sh!t since and probably wont do in the future
    DRIVER:Taylormade M2 (2016) 9.5* - Diamana 60S
    3 WOOD:Taylormade M2 Tour (2017) 17* HL - Diamana 70 S
    HYBRID:Adams Proto DHY 21* - Steelfiber i95 s
    IRONS 4-PW:Taylormade P770 -KBS Tour S 2.0* flat
    GAP WEDGE:Taylormade R Series Satin 51*(52) - KBS Tour S - 2.5* flat
    WEDGES:Titleist SM6 RAW - 56/60 - S300 - 2.5* Flat
    PUTTER:TaylormadeSpider Tour Red - 34"
    BALL:[font=comic sans ms, cursive]Whichever gets bought for me, or found.[/font]