image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
    TM RBZ Driver, 3W, 3H
    TM TP CB 4-PW, AW
    TM ATV SW, LW
    Odyssey White Hot Pro #7
  • bermudabermuda Members Posts: 803 ✭✭
    playa wrote:

cphrey wrote:

Micheel or Hamilton for sure...totally disappeared and have never been heard from again. Even though I love the guy, John Daly could be on the list I guess...one or two great years and then just a circus after that. Still gotta hit the shots, drain the putts, and play all 72 holes or more though.

JD may be an underchiever but he is a top 5 talent of the last 25 years. He is not even in the discussion of worst players to win a major. I'll throw Rich Beem into the mix with some of the others mentioned.

I think the thread title is unfair, as worst implies being bad. Every major winner is a very good golfer. Perhaps something like 'least likely golfer to catch lightning in a bottle during a major week' would be a more fitting title.

It could also be called "least likely golfer to be in second place when the leader implodes/misses a putt."
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,298 ✭✭

Jack Nicklaus

Tiger Woods

Ben Hogan

image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
    So based on this thread Hogan is the worst of the top three ever? None of the "worst major winners" were poor golfers. But on any list the last person is the worst of the______. So give me a list of the top 10 golfers of all time and number 10 is the worst.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,067 ✭✭
    bluesooner wrote:

Another question would be, would you rather have 1 major of 5 regular tour wins (excluding big tournaments like The Players, Arnies, Jack's, etc...)?

One major and not much else;

Hamilton

Yang

Micheel

Campbell

Grady

Glover

Five PGA Tour wins without a major;

Jimmy Walker

Bob Toski

Phil Rogers

Scott Verplank

Billy Mayfair

Roger Maltbie

Hmmmmm..... difficult choice, but I think I favor the "five wins" group.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,747 ClubWRX
    Micheel is far and away the worst. Apart from his PGA win he dud absolutely nothing in terms of winning.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • avragavrag Members Posts: 5,204 ✭✭

Micheel was the worst. One other top 20 in a major, no other wins on tour. Two other professional wins (Asian Tour and Nike Tour). Hamilton won twice on tour, and has 15 other professional wins. Orville Moody has to be up there as well.

This gets discussed a lot, though. What I think it more interesting is the worst player that has won multiple majors.

There is no discussion about that, because the answer is so clear: Andy North.
    I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 924 ✭✭
    edited Jul 1, 2016 #68
    bluesooner wrote:

Conclusion: there are a lot of players who have won a major who had otherwise, unspectacular careers. And conversely, a lot of great players who have been held without.

I think most would rather have careers of Sergio/Westwood rather than Cink/Beem.

Another question would be, would you rather have 1 major of 5 regular tour wins (excluding big tournaments like The Players, Arnies, Jack's, etc...)?

To answer your question, depends on which career would net more money.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,013 ✭✭
    I'm going with either Mungo Park or Alf Perry.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    dlygrisse wrote:

Is this TBT? I was thinking today is Friday.
    tannyhoban wrote:

dlygrisse wrote:

Is this TBT? I was thinking today is Friday.

Hey, I scrolled through a list of major winners and they are the only two I had never really heard of. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

But I am sure they were fine gentlemen.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
    MattyO1984 wrote:

Micheel is far and away the worst. Apart from his PGA win he dud absolutely nothing in terms of winning.

He did win the Singapore Open and a Nike Tour event. Pretty sure the Singapore Open is a big deal...in Singapore.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
    avrag wrote:

Micheel was the worst. One other top 20 in a major, no other wins on tour. Two other professional wins (Asian Tour and Nike Tour). Hamilton won twice on tour, and has 15 other professional wins. Orville Moody has to be up there as well.

This gets discussed a lot, though. What I think it more interesting is the worst player that has won multiple majors.

There is no discussion about that, because the answer is so clear: Andy North.

PGA Tour wins (3)

No. Date Tournament Winning score To par Margin

of victory Runner(s)-up 1 Aug 21, 1977 American Express Westchester Classic 66-70-65-71=272 −12 2 strokes 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png George Archer 2 Jun 18, 1978 U.S. Open 70-70-71-74=285 +1 1 stroke 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png J. C. Snead, 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png Dave Stockton 3 Jun 16, 1985 U.S. Open 70-65-70-74=279 −1 1 stroke 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Dave Barr, 23px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China.svg.png Chen Tze-chung, 23px-Flag_of_Zimbabwe.svg.png Denis Watson

Major championships are shown in bold.

Other wins (4)

Champions Tour wins (1)

Other senior wins (6)

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • HighSpeedSceneHighSpeedScene Banned Posts: 3,183
    Arpeggi wrote:

Keegan Bradley by far

Huh - thought you would have said Willett
  • DJP730DJP730 Members Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Zach Johnson and Mike Weir
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,419 ✭✭
    Willie Anderson.

In the 1901 US Open he took 331 strokes to win.

84-83-83-81=331
  • CwingCwing Members Posts: 7,999 ✭✭
    mrmacwvu1 wrote:

Peter Jacobson

Had Roy only laid up on the par five he would have won

Don't we have to throw Happy on this list? Not a major but still.
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,067 ✭✭
    iBanesto wrote:

Willie Anderson.

In the 1901 US Open he took 331 strokes to win.

84-83-83-81=331

Probably because the USGA was adding lots of penalty strokes for moving his ball.
  • Michael Campbell. What ever happened to that guy? Fell off the face of the earth
    *Gets the shakes on the first tee crew*
    *Gets swamp a** in the summer crew*
    *Plays with no glove crew*
    *Blames the putter and not myself crew*
    *Blames the clubs and not myself crew*
    *Wears a white belt crew*
  • white03white03 Members Posts: 693 ✭✭
    Every time I read this topic title I think..."worst pro", there's no such thing. If they can compete on the PGA tour then they are very very good. I know, that's not the way to interpret what the OP asked. Just can't help it
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,390 ✭✭
    white03 wrote:

Every time I read this topic title I think..."worst pro", there's no such thing. If they can compete on the PGA tour then they are very very good. I know, that's not the way to interpret what the OP asked. Just can't help it

There is always a worst of everything. Worst pitcher in MLB, worst QB in the NFL, worst pizza you ever had, worst announcer on tv, etc.
  • white03white03 Members Posts: 693 ✭✭
    edited Jul 2, 2016 #82

white03 wrote:

There is always a worst of everything. Worst pitcher in MLB, worst QB in the NFL, worst pizza you ever had, worst announcer on tv, etc.

Yes, I got it and understand the intent of the post. Wasn't trying to pick at the OP.

To me its kind of like this: Forbes publishes a list of "World Billionaires" and at #1694 is Zhaung Min with a measly $1B.

So he is the least rich billionaire in the world. Gotta be a least rich billionaire, right

Still wouldn't mind having his $1B.........or a Major title
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,419 ✭✭

Arpeggi wrote:

Keegan Bradley by far

Huh - thought you would have said Willett

Willett hasn't been too impressive since that win.
  • GolfinGoonerGolfinGooner Members Posts: 1
    Cannot believe that the name of Webb Simpson has not been mentioned. About the least impressive major winner I can remember from the current era
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Posts: 2,493 ClubWRX

Michael Campbell. What ever happened to that guy? Fell off the face of the earth

He's a presenter on Fox Sports Asia now. Was one of my favourite players when I was growing up.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Posts: 2,493 ClubWRX
    dlygrisse wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

He did win the Singapore Open and a Nike Tour event. Pretty sure the Singapore Open is a big deal...in Singapore.

Spieth and McIlroy have both played in it, and I'm sure Anthony Kim won it one year.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,523 ✭✭

Cannot believe that the name of Webb Simpson has not been mentioned. About the least impressive major winner I can remember from the current era

4 PGA Tour wins. $20 million in earnings. 30 years old. What a bum.
    PING OG Rapture 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* hybrid
    Cleveland CG2 irons 3-p
    Bridgestone Wedges 52/56
    Odyssey #1WS
  • Jwin323Jwin323 Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭
    Men--- Shaun Micheel

Women--- Chunky Lunke
  • scooterboy59scooterboy59 Posts: 977 ✭✭
    These guys won a major, and they have or they are still playing the PGA tour. I think that most all the guys that play the tour can win. Worst is to harsh a word. It should be "What was the biggest upset to win a major ?". They were in the zone that week or someone collapsed. These guys whom people listed don't think they were the worst.
  • JD3JD3 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭
    Paul Lawrie
    TM M1 2017 Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65x 10.5
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Motore Tour 8.3s 17
    Titleist 816 H1 Motore Tour 9.3s 21
    Cobra S3 Pro DGS300 3 - PW
    Yururi Tataki 52.5 & 60.5 DGS300
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    ProV1x
    UA Drive One Shoes
    Footjoy Tour Glove
  • jwclubbiejwclubbie Members Posts: 1,180 ✭✭
    No such thing as a "worse" player on the professional level. When you win a Major, you are the greatest player in the world for that tournament.

Mwscgolf wrote:

Was talking with my golf groups after the US Open, and we got to talking on this subject.

Worst Player to Win a Major?

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but I thought there might be some good answers.

My top votes?

Keegan Bradley

Jason Dufner

Y.E Yang

Not so much to blast those players, but there are definitely players that deserve a major over these guys.

Give me your best.