2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Golf in Orlando

zach0723

Hello everyone!

I moved to Orlando about a year and a half ago, haven't played much since moving here. I'm a low single digit handicap and I'm looking for a group to play with cause I have the bug again. Would like a group that does some gambling as that's what I'm used to. Reply here or shoot me a text 407-988-6342.

Hello everyone!

I moved to Orlando about a year and a half ago, haven't played much since moving here. I'm a low single digit handicap and I'm looking for a group to play with cause I have the bug again. Would like a group that does some gambling as that's what I'm used to. Reply here or shoot me a text 407-988-6342.

Send a pm message to RichieHunt, he knows Orlando !

OrlandoAGT.com is a good group of guys. They have usually 1 event every 2-3 weeks starting in March. The courses are usually very good, if not excellent.

They have handicap flights as well. They don't do handicaps, they just put you in a flight depending on your handicap. The payouts are good for amateur golf for top-3 events. They have $20 skins. $10 goes to a skin within your flight and another $10 goes to the 'super skins' which means you got a skin for the entire group. Again, good group of guys that usually hang out afterward and have some beers and lunch afterward. They also set up practice rounds prior to the event.

Other than that, you would probably need to join a course like a Legacy Club and find some matches or I would look at a place like Duran (near Melbourne) that has leagues and you can meet people there. Some of the older, semi-private or public courses like Metrowest and Timacuan may have something going on.

RH

• 4 months later...

I guess this should be the "official" thread of Orlando golf courses. I'm on vacation so I will post my experiences regarding the 5-6 courses I plan to play while I'm here. Again, it is my criteria and my enjoyment, so not necessarily everyone will agree with me.

Day 1. El Campeón at Mission Inn. They proudly display that Golfadvisor.com has them as the #2 course in the nation and #1 in Florida. My thinking is that the course is very good, but I wouldn't go that far as to call them better than so many other courses I have played.

First the not so good. Staying in the Marriott grande Orlando area, the drive is 50 min. Plus 2 tolls each way. And $8 for a bucket of balls. The clubhouse is old and looks needs some revamping. In the past, I have found the subject of the clubhouse controversial because not everybody is like me who stays at the end for a premium steak and sometimes have to shower because I fly at the end of the round.

The good is that the course is very good and challenging. Has a lot of hills and the greens are perfect. It has island and peninsula holes and the sand is excellent. The greens are spotless, hard to believe they play many rounds here as I couldn't find a lot of divots to fix. Even when some fairways have some patches they are not in the key landing areas, more like where carts leave the paved paths. The attendant in the Pro Shop, Luis, was very nice and approachable. He even went out at the end of my round to find how I did and wanted me to play Las Colinas, that I couldn't because was short in time. The round took us as a threesome, 3:30, maybe less (first tee time of the day I think). The course hosts the Gary Gilchrist Golf School so the practice area is very adequate. Again, the course is very good, recommended. But is no better than Streamsong, World Woods, TPC... Even as I paid $56, when you add gas and range balls we may be talking $70-75. My only regret was playing it as my first course after an almost 4 weeks golf layoff coming from Minnesota. Would be a great course to play when I'm in full golf shape.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Day 2. The Ritz Carlton Golf Club. Is a Ritz Carlton, so the course is supposed to be good. And it didn't disappoints. Is being prepared for the PGA Father-Son Challenge, so some seats and TV towers are already in place and the course was in tournament shape.

The practice area is premium, with Taylor Made newer practice balls. It reminded me of Conway Farms in Chicago. The clubhouse and lockers, maybe adequate for what it is surprised me because was a bit smaller than I anticipated. But it was pristine. The attendants were very professional. They let myself move my tee time to whenever I wanted, even if I bought one of their deals (their website is handled by ezlinks/teeoff).

The course plays "touristy" in the sense the fairways are so wide that driving the ball is not a challenge (I just scored 10 shots less today). I guess that is a Norman trait. Including 2 drivables par 4. Sand is very good. The real challenge is the amount of water hazards and the speed of the greens. The greens also had no divots, I guess a result of not selling as many rounds as a regular course. The turf is in great shape and turf itself I preferred to El Campeón. The main negative is the price!

Recommended too

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Day 3. Tranquilo Golf Course (Four Seasons). I always said if I had to build a golf course I'd hire Tom Fazio. He is like the Stepford Wife of golf architects. His courses are very nice, everything is in place and they are very appealing visually. This is no exception.

The clubhouse and attendants are first class, as expected. The practice area is small, I guess because the club doesn't expects a lot of players, but still have a sand trap and good chipping area. The balls at the range are practice Pro V1. The main negative draw for most people is the price, of course. But I talked to the manager and he showed me the membership prices, and for the kind of course, I found them surprisingly well priced. If I was living in Orlando I think I'd join here.

Overseeding was done only 2 weeks ago, I think a bit late compared to other courses, so still the fairways are not letting roll take place. Most courses do the overseeding 2 months before so when December tourists arrive they are set. But I think weather was no help this year.

The greens were immaculate. Lots of contouring and were running quite quick even if you could see more healing is coming. The course layout is very very good and challenging and some of the par 3s are very picturesque. The only aspect I didn't like of the course is the final hole where you get to carry a 200+ yds par 3. Surprising when I found out the land between the actual 18th hole and the hotel is the property of the same group and instead of using that space for making a par 4 they will build homes in that place. If I was the owner I'd extend the 18th, make the course par 72 and build the homes where the actual 18th hole is.

I'd love to play this course again and will do when I come back to Orlando

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

Day 4. Orange County National Panther. What a great course! Is like you could play a PGA tour event right now. There is no overseed to talk, no messy fairways and greens, I can say I loved it. Lots of nature around.

The clubhouse is huge. The driving range is huge. Their pride is to have "the biggest driving range in America".

The negatives I found were things a good manager and marketing can fix: dirty bathrooms stations, cheap bad shape driving range balls and, of all things, I paid more to play here than what I pay with the hot deals of the Ritz and the Four Seasons! But don't regret it at all. And be aware the area has a lot of construction now, so there is truck and traffic noise all the time.

The course has the best variety of holes I have seen in Florida in one course. The greens were very very quick. Is not a links course, but today the wind was blowing and it was hard because there are not many trees to defend you. Anyway, what a treat! I. I just imagine myself playing here the first tee time on a weekend. Next week they are playing Web.com Q School and I will sure follow it closely. Wish they TVit. Today, some Dick Sporting Goods marketers were scouting where they will shot a commercial in next few days.

I definitely recommend this course.

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

I guess this should be the "official" thread of Orlando golf courses. I'm on vacation so I will post my experiences regarding the 5-6 courses I plan to play while I'm here. Again, it is my criteria and my enjoyment, so not necessarily everyone will agree with me.

Day 1. El Campeón at Mission Inn. They proudly display that Golfadvisor.com has them as the #2 course in the nation and #1 in Florida. My thinking is that the course is very good, but I wouldn't go that far as to call them better than so many other courses I have played.

The course hosts the Gary Gilchrist Golf School so the practice area is very adequate.

Thanks for the review.... One point of clarification. The Gary Gilchrist Golf Academy has it own practice area at the end of the driving range. Neither the public or members are allowed to go back there. I know about this as I take lessons at the academy on a bi-weekly basis. They have a large putting green, and two chipping/pitching greens with bunkers for practice, and of course their own range with targets, etc. When the students are there they also have lots of technology available for learning.

Days 5 and 6. Very hectic days. My original plan was to play Grand Cypress New course day 5 and Southern Dunes day 6.

Day 5 started playing the New Course. The clubhouse has a complete restaurant, open early were many golfers have a nice breakfast. The clubhouse is also very complete. They rent Ping G clubs.

Grand Cypress has a golf academy that I went to take a peek. It looks very complete with range and chipping and putting surfaces. But the driving range for the general public I think is a bit small for the amount of play they get. Plus you hit the ball on mats. Also has a small sand trap and a nice putting green.

The New Course is the Nicklaus course inspired by St Andrews. Is my second time playing it and was paired with a nice group of gentlemen vacationing. The starter lady couldn't be more friendly. Even if the course is as open as a British course, you are playing in Florida, where you gotta have control of the different turf and vegetation. The courses at Grand Cypress have water and ice dispensers every few holes (no bottled water, like most premium courses). The highest slope in any tee is 127.

I did not like the ways the crew was still working the course while we were playing and interfering with us. Rude was my definition. So I abandoned the course after 9 holes. Those nine holes I can say showed me great turf conditions and nice greens. Because I think nobody on a course should be mistreated I left a message for the manager who called me back and expressed his apologies and invited me again the following day. Sadly, I couldn't be send out to the New Course again the following morning due to my schedule. But I like the course, and know eventually will be back to play it, hopefully soon. I do think management will solve the issue with the crew, so not expecting it to happen again.

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

Day 6, had a change in plans due to the events the day before. I was send out to play the East and North 9 holes courses.

The East 9 is a beautiful layout. Not only because of the tactical aspects of the course but just nature beauty. The grass was still not perfect (I think some overseeding not fully coming yet) and the greens were slower than all the other courses I played in the week. It has an island hole very scenic.

The North course is another challenging layout, but I guess is the "regular" brother to the others. When I played, felt dryer than the others. The EastNorth combine can get a slope of 139 so you gotta get your game to play them. But my impression is that they are like stepbrothers to the New Course. The course had way less golfers.

Hopefully next time I play them again I can have a full play of the New Course. From this and past experience at Grand Cypress I'd comeback and not having the first tee time. Maybe a midmorning round followed by a full lunch at the good restaurant.

Also, of all the courses I played this week, I think this complex would be the one to choose for groups. They have nice villas attached, have several courses to play and you are not far from the Orlando nightlife

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

• 1 year later...

Have been a year since I came to Orlando, and now I came again for a week. This time I tried to concentrate in the courses I have not visited but I have heard good things about. I stayed at the Marriott Grande Vista, that have a 9 hole course and a very good practice area. So I decided my first day will be spent trying to get in some kind of golf shape and play those 9 holes. To my surprise, the course was in very good shape and i shoot 2 over (par 32).

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

The second day i went to Rio Pinar. I was surprised to see they scheduled a scramble on a Sunday, so I imagined my round was not going to be quick.

Loved the layout, very tactical and with no surprises, the kind of course that rewards a consistent and well thought playing. The course, in a neighborhood that is past its prime, was in great shape for $40 on teeoff. I could play here if I was a local every week.

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

On my third day I visited my old friends of Grand Cypress. Played North/East, and as I imagined, the second time around was a charm. The course was in very good shape. Actually, all the greens of all the courses I played were in very good shape.

These two 9 holes are different but are well taken care of. Personally i would play the New course every time instead, but for less than $50 I won’t complain.

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

The following day I went to play Championsgate Country Club, were I was paired with a member. The course, as some other threads have explained, is in the middle of a Lennar development of over 2,000 homes and is still less than a quarter built so you will hear and feel sometimes all the construction movement. The idea they have sold is that someday the course will be private but the member told me the revenue the course has generated helps significantly to maintain lower association fees so he will like the idea of keeping it semiprivate so they still have some extra revenue stream.

I like the course the way it is, playing like a links layout. But with time, many many trees will be planted and many homes will be around it, so it may change its character. It is very drivable as is wide open, and long hitters can score well.

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

My only disappointment this week came at Celebration. They have a good golf course, but the dew and wetness around made my round not as enjoyable (in a few words, even with no rain, the fairways were saturated). I got to play it for around $55, but any of the other courses is a better value.

The layout, but, is very good. There are several holes with blind contouring. So, try to hit to the 150 mark and it will good.

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

The best course of the whole trip came on my last day, Southern Dunes. I think only Streamsong and World Woods are better designs around. You will say that being on Haines City is out of place for the quality of the course. But don’t get surprised, from the practice area, clubhouse to the actual course, all is impeccable.

Tee boxes, great shape. Fairways, great shape. Traps, great shape. Greens, great shape. Plus the architect definitely had a masterpiece here. Every trap was strategically placed so you need to think where to hit the drive, or the second shot.

So, if you are in South Orlando try to get here

• Like 1

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

After 4 straight years visiting the area, I think for my next vacation my schedule will include, trying not to break the bank, not necessarily in orden of quality or preference:

1. Marriott/Ritz Grande Lakes. Their great practice area and wide course would be good for a first day.

2. Rio Pinar

3. Southern Dunes.

4. New Course Grand Cypress.

5. OCN Panther

6. Championsgate CC

Of course is your budget allows, get the Streamsong ones, and if you have time to drive go to World Woods or El Campeón.

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

Thanks, I am surprised the Orlando WRXs don’t keep a log like the Arizona WRXs do regarding state of their courses

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

After 4 straight years visiting the area, I think for my next vacation my schedule will include, trying not to break the bank, not necessarily in orden of quality or preference:

1. Marriott/Ritz Grande Lakes. Their great practice area and wide course would be good for a first day.

2. Rio Pinar

3. Southern Dunes.

5. OCN Panther

6. Championsgate CC

Of course is your budget allows, get the Streamsong ones, and if you have time to drive go to World Woods or El Campeón.

I like that list. I've been on a buddies trip to Orlando something like 7 years running now. My list is similar to yours:

1. Waldorf Astoria

2. Marriott/ Ritz

3. Southern Dunes

4. OCN Panther Lake

5. Shingle Creek *pre re-design*

6. Championsgate CC

7. Harmony Golf Preserve

8. Reunion Palmer

9. OCN Crooked Cat

10. Eagle Creek

11. Championsgate Resort International

12. Disney Palms course

Haven't played Rio Pinar going to need to check that out!

EDIT: we are heading to Streamsong for a day this year, so I'm guessing and hoping I'll be adding a course near the top of my list!

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

2. Rio Pinar

3. Southern Dunes.

5. OCN Panther

6. Championsgate CC

I like that list. I've been on a buddies trip to Orlando something like 7 years running now. My list is similar to yours:

1. Waldorf Astoria

2. Marriott/ Ritz

3. Southern Dunes

4. OCN Panther Lake

5. Shingle Creek *pre re-design*

6. Championsgate CC

7. Harmony Golf Preserve

8. Reunion Palmer

9. OCN Crooked Cat

10. Eagle Creek

11. Championsgate Resort International

12. Disney Palms course

Haven't played Rio Pinar going to need to check that out!

It's in good condition but gets repetitive and monotonous. Out of orlando courses not on your list, I would play Grand Cypress, Hawk Landing, Disney LBV, Celebration and Falcon fire before Rio pinar.

rio pinar is a dump; if it's on a list of any orlando courses i'd highly question that list.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

rio pinar is a dump; if it's on a list of any orlando courses i'd highly question that list.

I'm sorry my taste for a tactical course that when I visited was in good shape does not match yours. Your opinion will be even more appreciate if you expand on it. For example, you may hate the layout, or the staff, or the clientele, or the facilities, etc. In post 12 I used the words"neighborhood past its prime", because like other areas in the city, being in that kind of neighborhood plants some issues to the upkeeping of the course.

Is always nice to hear of locals like you than can provide more insight on what courses you can play in Orlando under $50 that are not dumps. I also think the community here will like to know your insights regarding courses that are adequate for females, or senior citizens.

Personally, having played the Reunion courses, Celebration, the 2 hotel Championgates, I would not spend my money there over Rio Pinar. Imho

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

I'm sorry my taste for a tactical course that when I visited was in good shape does not match yours. Your opinion will be even more appreciate if you expand on it. For example, you may hate the layout, or the staff, or the clientele, or the facilities, etc. In post 12 I used the words"neighborhood past its prime", because like other areas in the city, being in that kind of neighborhood plants some issues to the upkeeping of the course.

Is always nice to hear of locals like you than can provide more insight on what courses you can play in Orlando under $50 that are not dumps. I also think the community here will like to know your insights regarding courses that are adequate for females, or senior citizens.

Personally, having played the Reunion courses, Celebration, the 2 hotel Championgates, I would not spend my money there over Rio Pinar. Imho

defensive much?

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

It's not a tactical course; please don't mistaken a tighter fairway as being tactical; the conditions are awful; being in central florida where it rains every summer makes for sloppy and SLOW play;

they don't have a ranger there; they would literally let people jump into the back 9 and clogged up the line; there is no order

the greens were awful; the sand was awful; i don't even care about it being less than 50 or courses that cost more than 50.

It's also in a community towards UCF which makes for some of the worst golf in Orlando; Very inconvenience if you want to play 2 rounds a day for an orlando trip.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

i'd also like to add if you're going to Florida for a golf trip why would you pick a place that's so inconvenient to all the nicer courses? Just not worth it; it's made for the locals, elderly, women or not;

so many nice courses in central florida; you can skip this one.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

The second day i went to Rio Pinar. I was surprised to see they scheduled a scramble on a Sunday, so I imagined my round was not going to be quick.

Loved the layout, very tactical and with no surprises, the kind of course that rewards a consistent and well thought playing. The course, in a neighborhood that is past its prime, was in great shape for $40 on teeoff. I could play here if I was a local every week.

Thanks Jerebear for the comment. Made that way enrich this forum. As you can see in my original comment, I refer to slow play and people management, the kind of neighborhood it is in, and how if I was local I’d play it. As you say. Also, I added it is in good shape now in winter. Next year when I am back for my week in Orlando, I’ll invite you to play one of your faves.

• Like 1

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

Going to have to decline on the lip service invite.

I would never recommend that course for those traveling from afar. Central Florida has so many wonderful courses that mesmerize the mind and keeps you wanting to come back. Rio isn’t one of them.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• 2 months later...

I appreciate linkerpan's reviews of their opinion of the course's they have played in Orlando, I am going to be in orlando in may and was looking for some idea's for courses and now have a few that sound good to me.

on a side note I'm note sure why it is necessary to to criticize someone's opinion because your's differs from theirs

I think Jerebear is a local expert too. So his opinion should count. These time Logistics made hard to go play but we will make it happen next.

I visited Orlando last month but didn’t had time to update this.

Not recommended: North Shore.

Customer service deficiencies. Long round. I like the layout but for the price you can do better.

Positive: Is close to the airport and they get a lot of play with people that just have time for a round.

Look at my pairing!

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls