ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Is there anyone out there that does NOT use a rangefinder?

2»

Comments

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,334 ClubWRX
    percymon wrote:

I use a GPS watch - I've found it to be within 2 yards of various laser rangefinders my fellow players are using. It might not factor in the slope/height compensation of the very best rangefinders but on the course i play it seems to make less than 5 yards difference.

I get an instant number as I arrive at the ball - none of the nonsense taking the RF out of its case, turning it on, taking a measurement, putting it back in the case - personally I think my colleagues use of RFs is adding up to 30 minutes to a round of golf, by the time they measure to hazards and lay up point too.

Anyone who is adding five minutes to their round (let alone 30) by using a range finder simply doesn't know how to use one correctly.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • TkutaTkuta Members Posts: 3
    Anyone have a rangefinder for sale?
  • HandsomeDaveHandsomeDave Advanced Members Posts: 158 ✭✭
    I'll echo some other thoughts here- I've used some sort of phone GPS for 5 years. I find it helpful for 2 reasons- I don't have a home course where I play exclusively and know intimately, and you just can't find sprinkler yardages like you could 10 years ago. I can't remember the last time I saw a front/middle/back on any on course yardage.
    Ping G15 Driver, 3 wood
    TEE CBX 19* hybrid, TM RBZ Tour 4 hybrid
    Mizuno MP-5 5-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 50, PM 56, 60
    Cleveland Classic HB1
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Advanced Members Posts: 6,258 ✭✭
    farmer wrote:

I can't hold the **** things steady enough to get a good reading. Partly age, partly wind. I get readings from, say, 137 yds to 421 yds.

It's 137.
  • wkndhackwkndhack Advanced Members Posts: 908
    I use a watch. It seems like courses aren't making distances as much as they did prior to GPS.

My TomTom watch died a few weeks ago. I downloaded a golf app on my phone and promptly lost it in the rough on the 16th fairway on the next round. Bought a new watch on Amazon that night.

I play a lot of different courses or new courses and it's nice to have hazards, dog legs, and green distances. Nothing worse than hitting a good shot into a bad spot because you misjudged the carry.

I can't hit 132 on command either, but knowing it's 118-127-139 front to back may be the difference between picking GW or PW.
    Cobra King F7+ Evenflow Black 65 6.0
    Cobra King F7 3W Oban Isawa Red 75-04
    Cobra King F6 Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85S
    Cobra King Utility ONE 21.5 C Taper Lite 110S
    Cobra King Forged Tec Black ONE 5-GW C Taper Lite 110S
    Cobra King Pur 54V, 58V DG S200
    Bettinardi QB8
    Srixon Q-Star Tour
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Advanced Members Posts: 10,131 ✭✭
    I sometimes play with a guy that is a human rangefinder..... I don't recall him ever calling out a distance that was more than 5 yards off of the laser. It's crazy

I use the laser
  • cxxcxx Advanced Members Posts: 3,028 ✭✭
    Laser works out best for me. I like playing by the numbers, takes a lot of the guesswork out. It travels better as well.
  • phil75070phil75070 Advanced Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    I used to use a handheld GPS which allowed for moving the pin location on the green. Combined with a daily pin sheet I was able to get a pretty good idea of distance on some pretty big greens. The last couple of courses I have belonged to don't use pin sheets and only color code the flags to indicate front, middle or back. Many times the color of the flag doesn't really correspond to what I would consider front, middle or back.
  • oldschoolrockeroldschoolrocker Advanced Members Posts: 5,094 ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Come to think of it we all carry rangefinders. That little bit of gray matter in the noggin.

Gets its input from sensory perception.

Being tounge in cheek there.

I actually think, unless you have really good command of your ballstriking, and distance control an exact distance measuring device could be detrimental to your game.

Far too often, I have seen high handicap golfers fret over the yardage with their electronic devices, forgetting about such variables as wind, elevation, tempature.

There are times when you just know you should hit a hard seven instead of an easy six. A rangefinder doesn't tell you that, but, your eyes, the conditions, and experience does.
  • dunndunn Advanced Members Posts: 6,353 ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I use one, and my ydg is better becuz of it......I know exactly how far I hit each club and how far I hit partial shots.....I had a range finder for few years and it got lost.....so I played without for 6 months cuz they're expensive, and than I just got another one....it for sure helps........I cant believe how far off the GPS on carts and my own guessing is at times......as much as 10yds and 5yds alot of times.....in a 200 yd shot not such a big deal but in a 130yd shot very much a big deal........eliminating mistakes, and narrowing down finer details makes one a better player imo, when you don't have alot of strokes to throw away everything counts.........I play the game very fast, I don't take alot of time but certain things are important to me and I want to know.......iron play is much better with one vs without, I know this much.......

Iron play is strength and from 150 yds I expecting to ball on green and from 130 and in pretty tight to pin if it's accesibile....of course it doesn't always happen......aim small miss small
  • inthefairwayinthefairway Advanced Members Posts: 1,293
    I use a hand held gps and the distances are dead on and only takes a second to glance at the distance.
  • North ButteNorth Butte Advanced Members Posts: 9,755 ✭✭
    I've tried half a dozen GPS units over the years. Early generation SkyCaddie, wow what a crappy piece of hardware. Bushnell Neo. The handheld one that Callaway had for a couple years then dropped. A Garmin S1 watch. Now a Bushnell Ghost. There was another one in there somewhere between the SkyCaddie and the Callaway, can't recall what it was, maybe a different watch.

Anyway, I have yet to find one that is consistently "dead on". There's a thing they all do from time to time that drives me crazy. First they'll take a few seconds when I stop walking to settle down on a distance. Which is fine. But then once it has given the same distance for a few seconds, I'll hit the shot and look back at the display. At least a handful of times per round it will have changed by 3, 4, 5 yards while I was hitting my shot.

So when I used the Bushnell Ghost I just treat it as a convenient, approximate yardage indication. I look at it while I'm still walking, don't bother waiting for it to settle down and try not to look again after I've hit my shot. I don't want to see it changing its mind like that. I just glance at it when I'm nearly next to my ball, round down to the next lowest 10 yards and go with it.

But when I'm at my home course I generally know my "approximate" yardage give or take 10-15 yards without needing a GPS. So I leave it at home and just carry a laser for the few shots each round where I want to know my carry over a bunker or whether a flag is front vs. middle of the green. Sure wish I could find one of these mythical beasts...the GPS that immediately gives a correct distance as soon as I stop walking.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • kaycalkaikaycalkai π Advanced Members Posts: 404 ✭✭
    I had never considered a rangefinder until I came to WRX.

After reading all the threads on the merits and ease of use, I think I may replace my GPS with a rangefinder for next season.
  • GollieGollie Advanced Members Posts: 116
    I had a multi sport Garmin GPS watch when I came back to the game. It has a golf app that works great. I use Ranger to get my distances on the range. Have not shopped for a range finder. Don't think I need one.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Driver: Cobra King LTD w/ 76g Project X 7B3 44"
    Fairway:
    [/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Cobra King LTD w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83x 43"[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hybrid: Ping G25 20* w/ TFC 189 Tour X[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Irons: Mizuno MP 54 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Wedges: Mizuno S5
    [/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]50°/7,[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] T-4 54[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]°/9, T-5 60[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]°/6, [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Project X 6.0 [/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Putter: [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Odyssey Works Versa 7H 35" with SS Pistol GT 2.0 [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Grips: [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Velvet [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Midsize[/font]
  • Roadking_6Roadking_6 Advanced Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭
    It's not that I can hit 137 on command, but it helps get to know if the front is 110 and the pin is 130, I have a 30 yard range to work with. Or if the pin is 150 and the back is 152, I will opt for less club over to much as my miss.
    kaycalkai wrote:

I had never considered a rangefinder until I came to WRX.

After reading all the threads on the merits and ease of use, I think I may replace my GPS with a rangefinder for next season.

The only drawback is you must have a line of sight from where you're standing to some targetable feature. A laser does not work if you can't see the spot you want to target.

Other than that IMO laser is 100% better in every way than GPS.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • rufus manglerrufus mangler Advanced Members Posts: 1,654 ✭✭
    I don't use one. For me, the precise yardage doesn't matter that much. I use my eyes to get a feel for what club to hit.

Now, it would be nice to know distances of things to lay up on or carry out there. The stuff you can't see.
    Titleist 915d2 8.5º
    Titleist 915f 16.5º
    Titleist 910h 21º
    Srixon Z745 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey, 52, 56, 60
    Odyssey WHP 7
    Srixon ZStar
    Hdcp 7
  • Nomad GolferNomad Golfer Advanced Members Posts: 809
    Don't have such a thing as fixed or accurate yardages for my clubs so my GPS is really just a guide for courses that I don't play on often or at all. Most courses I do play have sprinkler distances in the middle of the fairway anyway. My philosophy is:

more technology = less fun, unless you're heavily into competition and coin is changing hands.
    Avatar: Mac Tourney Staff Bag same as mine
    Clubs are a mix of old and older.

Irregular bag:
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver:(1): W/S Td5 Ti 9*[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver (2): TaylorMade r7 425 11.5* [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 17* [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hybrid: AdamsGolf Idea a12OS 22*[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Irons: W/S Ci7 5-SW D[/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]unlop 60* [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: Wilson Harmonized 744 [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Balls: Pinnacle Gold W/S Duo [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bag: AdamsGolf [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Classic clubs: [/font]

Driver: PGF Chesterfield Persimmon #1
    2 Wood: Slazenger Gary Player
    Fairway: Spalding Executive #7
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Irons: MacGregor [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Jack Nicklaus Classics 3-PW[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hogan Apex Plus E 46*[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lovett chipper 59*[/font][/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: PING PAL2[/font][/font][/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Balls: W/S Duo [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bag: MacGregor Tourney [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Advanced Members Posts: 6,258 ✭✭

My philosophy is: more technology = less fun, unless you're heavily into competition and coin is changing hands.

So are you using the feathery balls or Gutta-Percha? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • rlee323rlee323 Advanced Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
    For fun rounds, gps or just using the scorecard/sprinkler heads is fine. I think if you're really looking to shoot the lowest score, you'll want to know exact distance to flag in comparison to front and back of green and also exact yardages for layups on par 5s or recovery shots. After caddying with a pin sheet, I realized how useful that information could be for approach shots. I'm not that good so center of the green yardage is good enough for fun rounds but I also subscribe to aim small, miss small so I want to have a specific yardage I'm looking to hit. Just easier to have conviction in your number if you use the rangefinder.
  • Nomad GolferNomad Golfer Advanced Members Posts: 809

My philosophy is: more technology = less fun, unless you're heavily into competition and coin is changing hands.

So are you using the feathery balls or Gutta-Percha? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Penfold Ace
    Avatar: Mac Tourney Staff Bag same as mine
    Clubs are a mix of old and older.

Irregular bag:
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver:(1): W/S Td5 Ti 9*[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver (2): TaylorMade r7 425 11.5* [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 17* [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hybrid: AdamsGolf Idea a12OS 22*[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Irons: W/S Ci7 5-SW D[/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]unlop 60* [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: Wilson Harmonized 744 [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Balls: Pinnacle Gold W/S Duo [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bag: AdamsGolf [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Classic clubs: [/font]

Driver: PGF Chesterfield Persimmon #1
    2 Wood: Slazenger Gary Player
    Fairway: Spalding Executive #7
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Irons: MacGregor [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Jack Nicklaus Classics 3-PW[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hogan Apex Plus E 46*[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lovett chipper 59*[/font][/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: PING PAL2[/font][/font][/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Balls: W/S Duo [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bag: MacGregor Tourney [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
  • userpick21userpick21 Advanced Members Posts: 145
    I agree that I don't have a level of control that needs an exact yardage, but I always like to have a ballpark. Especially when my drives leave me in no man's land.
    userpick21 wrote:

I agree that I don't have a level of control that needs an exact yardage, but I always like to have a ballpark. Especially when my drives leave me in no man's land.

I've played every hole at my home course well over a thousand times yet I still occasionally find myself in a new spot from where I have no idea how far it is to the green. Remarkable.
  • doublehansdoublehans Advanced Members Posts: 641 ✭✭
    Conrad1953 wrote:

Conrad1953 wrote:

A laser is essential when hitting your approaches from adjacent fairways. It helps

to shoot the right pin too.

Hey Rad, good on you that you can hold a laser still enough to get a good reading at your age ;-o. I can't. I like my gps app. I use it mainly when I'm in no man's land between or away from the fairway markers, or as you said off the fairway. Nice thing about gps is that it can mark without line of sight..

LOL, I was.........well I have a Garmin GPS watch but I sometimes hit the ball

where a laser gives me a more accurate number, especially with some of the

large, weird shaped greens on the Trail, where what is considered front, middle

and back by the GPS may be just wrong.

I'm not talking 3-5 yards but as much as 15-20 yards I have been off when

compared to the laser rangefinder. I can't tell you how many times on a par 3

I would just look at my watch and gauge the pin distance and grab a club,

then a compadre lasers the pin and announces a number 15 yards different

than what I had guessed.

That isn't always the case but it does happen enough that I've lost trust in

my Garmin watch.

I have a RF and one of my frequent playing partners has a GPS. There are a couple spots on the course where sometimes the GPS gives wonky yardages (confirmed by using the RF). up to 10, sometimes (but rarely) 20 yeards off. not sure if its hills or trees or just proximity to lots of lost golf balls, but there are a couple clear zones on the course where i'm wary of the GPS and always laser it off. Otherwise, i tend to just go with the GPS unless i want to get agressive going for the pin. Usually center of green distance is more important to me than the distance to the pin as i can get in more trouble going for the pin than the center. In any case, my experience is that the GPS isnt just randomly inaccurate, its usually inaccurate in just certain places where i guess it doesnt pick up signal well or sthg.
  • eebombeebomb Advanced Members Posts: 531 ✭✭
    Golf budee. Super quick to get yardage. Only downfall is you have to charge after 2 rounds
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Advanced Members Posts: 2,167 ✭✭
    userpick21 wrote:

I've played every hole at my home course well over a thousand times yet I still occasionally find myself in a new spot from where I have no idea how far it is to the green. Remarkable.

Thats golf. It brings you back for next round B)
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Advanced Members Posts: 2,167 ✭✭
    I have used all ( rf, app, garmin watch) and i always go back to rf because the goal is to get the distance and nothing more accurate than a rf. I dont spend 20 second getting a messure so no prob with slowplay.
  • spearfishspearfish Advanced Members Posts: 76
    I can't bring myself to get one yet.. Rather use my eyes..
    Callaway Rogue Driver HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
    Titleist 816H2 19 Fujikura Motore 8.8 S Flex
    Callaway X Forged UT 18 Nippon Modus Tour 120S
    Callaway X Forged 3-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120S
    Titleist SM6 52, 58
    Odyssey Tank Versa 2 Ball
    All the soft white balls!!
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Advanced Members Posts: 3,681 ✭✭
    I have a rangefinder and am getting a G6 for Christmas and I'm more than excited about it. My rangefinder is on the fritz, and even with "pinseeker technology" it still takes some serious skill to get the pin. Not being able to tell hazard distance, esp at an unknown course, can be detrimental to a round.

Once I get my GPS I'll still probably use the range finder just for exacts but I'm going to play the first few rounds just with GPS. I want to see if me knowing front/middle/back is better than knowing exact distance.

I hated having to hunt for sprinkler heads, but when I did I just played to center green and hoped from there.
  • BillyZ2BillyZ2 Advanced Members Posts: 5,248
    My friend refuses to buy one, a rangefinder or a GPS, but is always asking me the distances.
  • ltjacksonltjackson Advanced Members Posts: 538
    Yup, before I had one.

Now that I've been exposed to the dark side I'd never play without one.
    ping-small.jpg[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- G400 Max 10.5[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]°[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Ping Tour 65S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]taylormade-small.jpg [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- RBZ Tour Spoon 3W - Aldila RIP Gamma Yellow 60 3.4S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]taylormade-small.jpg [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Burner Rescue 4H 22° - Reax Superfast 65 Stiff[/font]
    ping-small.jpg - [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]G25 4-PW Black Dot - CFS Steel Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]titelist-small.jpg [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Vokey SM5 F-Grind 50*/54*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]titelist-small.jpg [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Vokey SM4 58*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]taylormade-small.jpg [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- 34.5" Spider Tour Black[/font]

Roy McAvoy wrote:

It's alive, this swing! A living sculpture and down through contact, always down, striking the ball crisply, with character. A tuning fork goes off in your heart and your balls. Such a pure feeling is the well-struck golf shot. Now the follow through to finish. Always on line. The reverse C of the Golden Bear! The steel workers' power and brawn of Carl Sandburg's. Arnold Palmer!
    edited November 2016
    Our temps have been all over the place recently. It can change 20 degrees or more from one round to the next and the fall winds can come from unusual directions and be rather gusty. So until the cold weather settles in to stay (some time between Thanksgiving and Christmas) I don't really have a handle on my club yardages.

So the last two rounds I just left the rangefinder at home. Since I play the same course 120+ times a year I seldom shoot more than a handful of distances per round anyway. A few times this weekend I guessed real well on shots I normally would have lasered. But one time it cost me. By eyeball it looked like a basic 45-50 yard 3/4 swing lob wedge over a bunker to the hole near the back of the green. I hit the shot just like I wanted and it flew 10 yards past the flag, took one hop and scurried down the slope over the green. Double bogey. I paced it off after the shot...38 yards. Oops,

For me at my home course where we have 100-150-200-250 plates in the fairways I should in theory be fine with no yardage aid.. In practice I'd say about one disastrous misjudgment like that in two rounds is about the cost of not measuring. So that's two strokes every other round. About a shot per round is my answer to how much the rangefinder saves me AT MY HOME COURSE I'VE PLAYED 1,500 TIMES.
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Advanced Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭
    I've never owned a rangefinder.

I use the free version of Golfshot. It gives me enough of a reading to know what club to hit. Most of the time I just look of sprinkler heads and walk it off. I have a GameGolf, but it's the first version, so it doesn't give you readings live.
  • SchexSchex Members Posts: 48
    I have swingXswing on my phone. I've used it for a few years. Gives front middle back, slope, scores, stats, keeps a handicap etc..

Other than sometimes not locking in as has been mentioned it's nice not to have to deal with multiple devices although I sometimes wish I had a LRF
    titelist.jpg Driver 910 D2 - 10.5 s 'ilima
    callaway.jpg XR 16 - 3 wood
    callaway.jpg XR 16 - 4 & 5 hybrid
    callaway.jpgApex Pro 5-AW
    callaway.jpg MackDaddy 56 & 60 PM grind
    seemore.jpg FGP
    bridgestone.jpg B330rx
    clicgear.jpg3.0
  • DaveLeeNCDaveLeeNC Advanced Members Posts: 5,143
    I use a laser but could live without it EXCEPT for good yardages to the pin inside 100 yards. I really need that info - other than that it is mostly a convenience thing.

dave
  • BillyZ2BillyZ2 Advanced Members Posts: 5,248
    DaveLeeNC wrote:

I use a laser but could live without it EXCEPT for good yardages to the pin inside 100 yards. I really need that info - other than that it is mostly a convenience thing.

dave
    , if you think about it, all the PGA professionals get the exact yardage from their caddies. It is really a good thing to have those yardages especially as you get closer to the hole.
  • og512og512 Advanced Members Posts: 570 ✭✭
    I don't use one... I use a GPS watch mostly to know yardage to a bunker or to carry water or something like that.

quite honestly, I can usually guess the yardage within 5yds +/- (years of playing football and shooting as a hobby) or when I get to my ball, I can look at the flag and say "this is a 8i" or "this is a 4h", etc...

I used to carry one to the range but the 2 courses I practice at are very consistent with their yardages and the markers.
  • MarksloMarkslo Members Posts: 8
    Hey guys!

Great discussion going here and some solid advice!

I’ve set myself a budget of $250 for my first rangefinder and am still not sure which one to get.

I’ve been reading some reviews on this site http://hitgolfing.com/ and am considering the Bushnell V3 or the Nikon Coolshot20.

Does anyone here actually own either of these? What are your experiences?

Thanks a lot for the tips!
  • ExProGoingBackExProGoingBack Advanced Members Posts: 1,096
    I still do it the old fashioned way.... walk it off and eye ball
  • KING246KING246 Advanced Members Posts: 282
    Where I play, you have the 100, 150, and 200 yard markets. Walking these off, especially from off the fairway, can be time consuming and frustrating. Using the laser is much more practical and makes the game a tad bit easier.
  • jmar87jmar87 Advanced Members Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Still doing it the stone age way here, in the market for a range finder though
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 917D2 10.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 60S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 915F 16.5* Aldila Rogue Black 80S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 3[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping ie1 Modus 105s 4-PW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scotty Cameron Golo s5[/font]
  • jslane57jslane57 Advanced Members Posts: 3,929
    Didn't pace it off, now you can't get the rangefinder to read and the watch ran out of battery. That's my fear. Lol. I do carry a rangefinder, but only use it a few times a round, usually on par 3s that are not marked well.
  • Boricua GolfBoricua Golf Members, Advanced Members Posts: 3,379 ✭✭
    I do this once in a while, when I feel lazy and/or forgot to charge the phone before I went to the course, I just look at the markers and either guesstimate distance or pace it out, I guesstimate most of the time...
    Driver
    Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
    FW Wood
    Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
    Hybrid
    Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
    Irons
    Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Wedges
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Putter
    Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour 32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
    Golf Ball
    2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X
  • Tex1986Tex1986 Advanced Members Posts: 1,770
    I just got a TecTecTec for Xmas from my wife.

I never bothered with GPS/Range finder since I was playing the same handful of courses. Recently I've been playing different courses with a couple buddies I play hockey with. I'm hoping the Range Finder will help me with layups and hazard distances more than pin yardage.
  • jslane57jslane57 Advanced Members Posts: 3,929
    Tex1986 wrote:

I just got a TecTecTec for Xmas from my wife.

I never bothered with GPS/Range finder since I was playing the same handful of courses. Recently I've been playing different courses with a couple buddies I play hockey with. I'm hoping the Range Finder will help me with layups and hazard distances more than pin yardage.
    Congrats. You will surely enjoy this new tool. Keep in mind you can laser anything. Trees, carts, bunker lips, 150 markers, even people on the greens...
2»