Dismal River questions

Hello all, first time poster long time lurker

Going to the Dismal for the first time for 2 days. After much reading it looks as if the Red course is more highly regarded and a little more player-friendly than the white course. We are going to play all day...do they have regulations on which courses you have to play? Do you get to choose which course you play each time or do they?

Also a little worried about the prices of food and beverages. I read its 5 bucks per beer...if true thats extreme for domestic. Might have to leave and go to Mullen for dinner and drinks and then come back later....or is leaving the place against the rules? What are prices actually like?

Any other tips appreciated, thanks.

its been a couple of years but I think it was about $5 a beer. Butt it's better to just pony up and pay rather than driving back to Mullen. You'll see why after you've made the drive from the highway to the course!

I liked the Doak a little better. The Nicklaus greens can be pretty severe,but it's certainly not a bad course. . But you really should play them both. I would hate to go to a place like that with the opportunity to play both and just do one.

Play them both. I've talked to many who have been there and it's about split 50/50 over which course is preferred. I like the white better which was shocking to me cuz im not a big fan of nicklaus courses and generally really like Doak. To me the nicklaus is alot more fun though the Doak is a better walk. Great place have fun!

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Also a little worried about the prices of food and beverages. I read its 5 bucks per beer...if true thats extreme for domestic. Might have to leave and go to Mullen for dinner and drinks and then come back later....or is leaving the place against the rules? What are prices actually like?

Seriously? You're being allowed access to a fully private club and then feel the need to address their pricing structure on a public forum?

Completely ridiculous.

It's these type of posts that encourage clubs to closer their doors to outside play entirely.

Seriously? You're being allowed access to a fully private club and then feel the need to address their pricing structure on a public forum?

Completely ridiculous.

It's these type of posts that encourage clubs to closer their doors to outside play entirely.

Agreed. Plus Mullen is miles away and driving those roads in the dark SUCK!

Sitting on the patio deck out there is brilliant. And agree...the double thick cut pork chop is brilliant!

Completely ridiculous.

+1

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

Dismal River... Pay the money and have a blast. I was fortunate enough to play Sandhills last year and my back account wasn't flush when I arrived, but I surely wasn't going to let money ruin a once in a lifetime experience (literally, that is their club policy).

If money is a concern than go play Bayside and Wildhorse out in western Nebraska, both are incredible tracks and a fraction of the price.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

It is truly the best golf trip I have taken. I will say dismal river is would be the highlight of almost any other trip but Sandhills is such a awesome experience

Agreed. Dismal is fantastic by all those that have made the trip, but Sandhills is different. Sandhills isn't a 5-star service facility, it is purely about golf.

Prairie Club is another one in that area that would be the highlight for nearly anybody in America to visit. That region of golf is arguably among the very best in the world. (If you like links golf that is)

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Though Dismal is private its not that hard to get on honestly. Have played it a few times. As for private courses go they honestly are on the high side for guest play, but there is two courses and they have to cover the cost of both. If you don't know dismal does rely on some guest play for revenue, was told this from a member.

Are the two courses good, Yes and worth playing once to check it off the list. I will note we payed a lot less for Sand Hills on the same trip and there is no comparison. Ballyneal has gone up in price over the last few years but that course is better (IMHO) then either Dismal course and it was less to play. Lucky enough to play Cherry Hills with clients (pay my own way) and it also is less and you don't have drive out to "nowhere" =)

The food is pretty damn good it seems in the Sandhills course range, some great steaks if you love a good steak.

I 110% agree with everyone your not driving that road back to Mullen at night...!!!

played Dismal a few weeks ago. and yes it is pricey but that you play an amazing golf course. I like the Red better than the white but that is just me. food was really good. afterwards we played prairie club and much prefer Dismal for the golf and the food. Forget about the price, take care of that at the end and enjoy.

Rogue sub zero 9* Hzrdus yellow crafted 6.5 flex
Rogue sub zero 13.5* Hzrdus yellow 6.5 flex
917 F2 18* Speeder Pro TS 84 X
PXG 0311x 2i OTI tour 80x
PXG 0311 4-PW OTI tour 100x
Vokey SM6 Chrome 54*,62*
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

I think for a lot of people (me included) the price just comes with a bit of "Sticker shock" if you didn't know beforehand. Especially if you're from a less expensive area.

After reflecting on my stay there, I didn't have any issue with what it cost me. It was expensive, but worth it because it's not something you do frequently.

• 2 years later...

When I played it back in 2016 they had a limited number of openings for non-members. It's the "Scottish Model". I don't see anything on their website about it at this time, though. Give them a call. I'm sure they'd be quite happy to answer your question.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @cory_jensen said:

> How do you get on this course !? Thought you had to either be a member or know a member ???

You don't have to know a member. Contact the Director of Golf: [email protected]. Send him a polite email with the dates you'd like to play. Monday-Thursday much more likely than weekends. No guarantee but they allow some non-member play. I'm not sure if you are required to stay onsite or not but I think that would help your chances.

> @huskerangler1 said:

> Hello all, first time poster long time lurker

>

>

>

> Going to the Dismal for the first time for 2 days. After much reading it looks as if the Red course is more highly regarded and a little more player-friendly than the white course. We are going to play all day...do they have regulations on which courses you have to play? Do you get to choose which course you play each time or do they?

>

>

>

> Also a little worried about the prices of food and beverages. I read its 5 bucks per beer...if true thats extreme for domestic. Might have to leave and go to Mullen for dinner and drinks and then come back later....or is leaving the place against the rules? What are prices actually like?

>

>

>

> Any other tips appreciated, thanks.

Yea, I got a tip for you. Stop the whining, enjoy the experience, or just stay home. $5 is too much for a beer, what

galaxy do you live in dude. I have paid double that at concerts and professional sporting events. Yes, you do that drive to Mullen after playing all day. LOL! This is hysterical, you honestly can't make this stuff up.

> @TheSouthernGentleman said:

> > @huskerangler1 said:

> > Hello all, first time poster long time lurker

> >

> >

> >

> > Going to the Dismal for the first time for 2 days. After much reading it looks as if the Red course is more highly regarded and a little more player-friendly than the white course. We are going to play all day...do they have regulations on which courses you have to play? Do you get to choose which course you play each time or do they?

> >

> >

> >

> > Also a little worried about the prices of food and beverages. I read its 5 bucks per beer...if true thats extreme for domestic. Might have to leave and go to Mullen for dinner and drinks and then come back later....or is leaving the place against the rules? What are prices actually like?

> >

> >

> >

> > Any other tips appreciated, thanks.

>

> Yea, I got a tip for you. Stop the whining, enjoy the experience, or just stay home. $5 is too much for a beer, what

> galaxy do you live in dude. I have paid double that at concerts and professional sporting events. Yes, you do that drive to Mullen after playing all day. LOL! This is hysterical, you honestly can't make this stuff up.

Uh, he went on the trip 3 years ago. Be curious to hear if he bought the beer or not though!

> @maga_golfer said:

> > @TheSouthernGentleman said:

> > > @huskerangler1 said:

> > > Hello all, first time poster long time lurker

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Going to the Dismal for the first time for 2 days. After much reading it looks as if the Red course is more highly regarded and a little more player-friendly than the white course. We are going to play all day...do they have regulations on which courses you have to play? Do you get to choose which course you play each time or do they?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Also a little worried about the prices of food and beverages. I read its 5 bucks per beer...if true thats extreme for domestic. Might have to leave and go to Mullen for dinner and drinks and then come back later....or is leaving the place against the rules? What are prices actually like?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Any other tips appreciated, thanks.

> >

> > Yea, I got a tip for you. Stop the whining, enjoy the experience, or just stay home. $5 is too much for a beer, what

> > galaxy do you live in dude. I have paid double that at concerts and professional sporting events. Yes, you do that drive to Mullen after playing all day. LOL! This is hysterical, you honestly can't make this stuff up.

>

> Uh, he went on the trip 3 years ago. Be curious to hear if he bought the beer or not though!

Duly noted. Heck, the beer might even be more now! Poor guy, if he went now that might really just put him over the edge. LOL! Heck, just put some dang beer in your suitcase, who will know! Guarantee, Putin is not watching!

I do a lot of golf trips all over the world. and can't stand to hear complaining about price of this or that. Life is too short, you work hard, enjoy. If the price of beer causes stress, better stay home and just do putt putt, or play some video game of a top 10 courses and you can pretend you are there!

• 2 years later...

If you are playing Dismal River, but complaining about a $5 beer? Ha.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

19 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Can't remember. Pre pandemic, we played Ballyneal, Wild Horse, Prairie Club, Dismal River and Sand Hills. Best trip ever. Cost all up (golf, accom, food etc) might have been $600 per day. Who cares if it was $700?

Finally some one got the name of the club up the road correct... Sand Hills.  Two separate words.  As for Dismal... I haven't been there in quite a few years but friends do report a bit of sticker shock on the food and drink prices.  In the end as people have said, who cares?  You're are a great place, just suck it up and enjoy it.  That being said, it is better to know up front rather than be shocked by the bill.  As for driving to Mullen, not only is it a long dark drive but... as much as I love it.. .there's not much there in terms of restaurants.  🙂  Stay put.