Callaway X-14 Pro Series

It's easy to understand why this is Callaway's all-time best selling iron.

1) Looks are great from heel to toe, top to bottom. I still love the badge on the back. Doesn't look too busy and defines what you'll get from the club.

2) VERY forgiving. You know that distance won't be lacking unless you do something really stupid.

3) The number one golfer in the world had them in her bag for a very long time and even played with them this year.

As far as cavity backs go, these are probably KING. You get a whole lot of everything from this club, despite not having the label of "players club". You can't go wrong having these in your bag...

(You'll notice that the X-16's weren't nearly as good as these were having that smaller head. If you put the X-18's side by side, you can't even tell the difference. Callaway knows a good iron when they have one.)

Nike Vr Pro Limited 8* w/Matrix Black Tie 6m3
Nike Vr Pro Limited 15* w/Matrix Black Tie 7m3
Nike Vr TW Blades w/TT X100
Nike Vr Pro 54/58 w/S400
Nike Method Matter B1-07

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

First time to review clubs.

Hit them today in driving range. Second hand in the shop.

I loved them. I have tried x20 tours, xtour, xforged but I thing I like the x14PS much better than the current offerings.

I might get them because its so cheap right now.

Just realised that just because the irons are new doesnt mean its best fit for you.

• 2 months later...

I recently switched out my X-12 irons for the X-14's. I have to say that I am very impressed. The X-14's have a thinner top line, which I like quite a bit. They are very forgiving and seem to be very easy to get off the ground. I have only played 2 rounds with them so far, but I have been hitting some of the best long and mid iron shots of my life.

I don't know if it is all the clubs (it probably isn't), but before I switched to the x-14's I was struggling to break 100. My two rounds with the X-14's have been 94 and 89. I am going to go to Golf Galaxy soon and see if I need to get they irons adjusted at all, because I see myself staying with these clubs for a while.

Overall great iron, even though they are 7 years old. I have no complaints about the qualify, craftsmanship, etc. I also love the fact that they are Callaway irons, because Callway seems to really stand by their products more than almost any other OEM.

• 2 months later...

Just a little note that i've been using these irons 12 months and they are superb. Long, forgiving, workable and very importantly for a Callaway, very easy to chip with due to the smaller head and sole design. These can be had for some excellent prices now and i must say anybody looking for an iron of this ilk should give them a go. Brilliant all round stick.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I have a set of X14 Pro Series in a back up bag after getting my r7's this summer. I haven't hit them in some time but think I will put them back in play soon. I have also thought about getting a regular X14 3,4,&5 irons to make up a combo set. I don't see me getting rid of these any time soon.

I agree with whoever said from the top they look just like the X18 and X20.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

The X14's will always go down as a great golf club.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Call Callaway Customer Service and all you need to pay is the UPS to Callaway and they'll adjust the lie for free, and ship it back to you.
If you need new steel shaft of different type or flex , it's $250 per set ( up to 11 irons ).
Can't beat that, on top of this they'll replace the iron should it break during adjustment.

[quote name='Bogeyman82' post='732447' date='Sep 26 2007, 09:35 AM']I recently switched out my X-12 irons for the X-14's. I have to say that I am very impressed. The X-14's have a thinner top line, which I like quite a bit. They are very forgiving and seem to be very easy to get off the ground. I have only played 2 rounds with them so far, but I have been hitting some of the best long and mid iron shots of my life.

I don't know if it is all the clubs (it probably isn't), but before I switched to the x-14's I was struggling to break 100. My two rounds with the X-14's have been 94 and 89. I am going to go to Golf Galaxy soon and see if I need to get they irons adjusted at all, because I see myself staying with these clubs for a while.

Overall great iron, even though they are 7 years old. I have no complaints about the qualify, craftsmanship, etc. I also love the fact that they are Callaway irons, because Callway seems to really stand by their products more than almost any other OEM.[/quote]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought a used set two years ago after testing a few clubs a buddy had.

I was hitting the 3 iron so well, I went out and got a 2 iron (same specs) off fleabay. Well the 2 was working so good that now I am the only player I know of that is stroking a 1 iron down the middle (90% of the time anyway) at 245 yards.

Doesn't need to be a new to be good.

• 1 month later...

I recently added these to my stable of iron sets (MP33's, BH Apex 99's). They have Dynamic Gold Lite stiff flex shafts.

Distance- fine, a touch longer, half club or so. Similarly lofted irons from my other sets carry almost as far. They are maybe +5 yards longer than I expected . . . 8i Cally carries as far as my 7i MP33 with only a 2* loft difference.

Accuracy- they definitely do not produce as much "hook" or "slice" as the other clubs.

Forgiveness- here is the big difference . . . I haven't played in a few months and extreme toe hits still went a decent distance- extreme = the area with no grooves. After half a bucket, my swing found itself once again and there was not much difference in performance between sweetspot and near misses.

Ballflight- it seemed fine. Medium high trajectory, similar to the MP33's (Dynamic Gold S300).

Overall- instead of being a range set/get my swing in order, I think I'm going to bag them. I was considering reshafting my MP33s with Dynalite Golds or Rifles . . . I guess I can take my time with that project now.

X-14 Pro Series are top notch in my book. Haven't hit their newer stuff too much, but not much would change since these only set me back $175 shipped.

I'm putting together an "old" bag and am currently adding V-Steels for my fwys. So, I agree with anyone who states that Callaway just "got it right" with the X-14 PS.

• 2 months later...

For those of you who are still playing the x14 pros, what shafts are you using? I am currently playing regular x14s with constant weight steel shafts and I have an opportunity to pick up a set of pro series with the same constant weight steel shaft (as opposed to rifle). The only reason I would go with the constant weight steel shaft is because I don't know anything about rifle shafts.

Any thoughts?

• 8 months later...

One of the best compliments that I can pay this set of irons is the fact that a set of them has been in my bag for the last 8 years.

That is an unprecedented length of time for me to keep any golf club....much less 10 of them. I had 3iron-PW, SW and LW. I had stiff Rifle shafts in these.

I found this sticks to be outstanding in accuracy....most accurate irons I've ever owned....by far. It was easy hitting fades or draws and knockdowns were a breeze.

I am soon to replace them as I've ordered a set of PING G5's on Tuesday. I wanted to get something that would launch the ball a bit higher and the G5's with the AWT shaft should be what the doctor ordered. I was shocked at the trade-in value....the guy gave me $175 for them. Considering that I am getting the G5s for $460 then I'm not out too much. I was about to regrip my old irons with midsized cords....that would have run over $100 anyway.

I have these irons right now and they are the best irons i have ever had. I have hit almost every set I could get my hands on and I feel they fit my game the best. I can do about anything I want with these irons and the best part about these irons are they were given to me by a guy at our golf course. I wouldn't trade these irons for anything. They will be around for awhile.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey,

First post here.

I have had my set of X-14 PS for about 10 years and love them! However, I have always used the stock shafts (constant weight steel stiff). Recently, it has come to my attention that these shafts are notoriously poor in quality. While I have always played around it, I have a feeling that getting the correct shafts in these clubs will help improve my ball flight (I tend to put a lot of spin on the ball, which causes ballooning shots when playing into the wind).

My questions are:

1. With "older" clubs like these, will there be any problems with getting new shafts?
2. Any recommendations for shafts I should look into (I plan on getting custom fit, but would like to get your guys' thoughts on what are good shafts for a high spin player)?

Thanks in advance.

[size="3"] [/size]

[quote name='atn86' timestamp='1314917791' post='3535831']
Hey,

First post here.

I have had my set of X-14 PS for about 10 years and love them! However, I have always used the stock shafts (constant weight steel stiff). Recently, it has come to my attention that these shafts are notoriously poor in quality. While I have always played around it, I have a feeling that getting the correct shafts in these clubs will help improve my ball flight (I tend to put a lot of spin on the ball, which causes ballooning shots when playing into the wind).

My questions are:

1. With "older" clubs like these, will there be any problems with getting new shafts?
2. Any recommendations for shafts I should look into (I plan on getting custom fit, but would like to get your guys' thoughts on what are good shafts for a high spin player)?

Thanks in advance.

[size="3"] [/size]
[/quote]
I still have the exact clubs and want to play them occasionally. I would be interested in any replies to this question. Some things are hard to improve on and the X 14's are one of them.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

• 3 years later...

I had these for 3 months when they first came out. Great looking but way too heavy for me. Zero feel. Changed to Nike pro combos. Way too light. Finally got ping i10s. Perfect for me.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Those x 14 pros are great clubs regardless that they are a full club lower lofted than the eye 2's. The only thing I ever felt I needed to add to them was the approach wedge, which Callaway also makes. Otherwise they play close enough to the Eye 2 for me to feel very little need for adjustments in play. I think there is a little less performance in their sand wedge but nothing to shout about. They are a great alternative set for me.

Shambles

• 6 months later...

I played the x-14 pro series irons with the rifle steel shafts. These clubs were very accurate, distance was good and workability was excellent. The rifle steel shafts seemed to have just a hair more kick than the step dowm steel but you lost nothing in accuracy because they still didn't twist like graphite shafts would occasionally do. These irons loved to be pushed harder and harder. When I bought these irons I was going back and fourth between the hawkeyes and these. I'm currently playing the hawkeyes but it makes me appreciate the x-14 pro's that much more. I originally got these because the groves on the ping eye 2's were starting to get wore out and I wanted more spin. These irons were exactly what I needed. Mid irons had enough spin to drop and stop and short irons I could get them to back up about 3 ft.