Best Shaft for BB 454

dtwainrightdtwainright Members Posts: 433
...what shaft has worked best for you?
I like the price of the Big Bertha ($249 with Callaway rebate) and I like the idea of a good, classic driver that I could keep in my bag for a long time. I just want to know what you guys think the best shaft is for this driver.

There are a few shafts to choose from in the $249 range (the stock shaft, NV, ProLaunch, and the YS6) but you can also get the UST V2 shaft for a ~$50 “up-charge”.

What are your thoughts on the V2 shaft? Is it worth the extra $50 bucks? image/help.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />

I don't mind spending the extras money, but I would love to hear some feedback from you guys using the BB...let me know what shafts have worked well for you.

Regards,

Tyler

Comments

• pingshack22pingshack22 Members Posts: 767
    All the shafts you have mentioned are quality shafts. The V2 and the NV are going to hit the ball lower than the Prolaunch and YS-6. I would say your desired trajectory should be the final decision maker. I have played Callaway drivers for years and personally think the Aldila shafts work the best with Callaway's. If you want a lower trajectory go with the NV, but if you want a higher trajectory, go with the Aldila NVS. I have an NVS in my FT-3 and could not be happier. Hope this helps.
    TaylorMade M2 (9.5*)
    Exotics CB5 (15*)
    TM Rescue TP (19*)
    Mizuno JPX 850 Forged (4-GW)
    PING Anser Forged (54*,58*)
    PING Vintage Pal 2 (35")
  • hungrymarinehungrymarine Members Posts: 169
    I used to have two 454s. One with the Prolaunch 65 and the other with NVS65. Both were good shafts but I sold the Prolaunch version since I wanted a slightly lower ballflight and I found that the NVS65 was easier to draw.
  • smittygolfsmittygolf Members Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I use the YS6+ stiff which seems to work well. Some people may overpower this shaft but it works for my swingspeed at 102.
  • J-TizzleJ-Tizzle Hello Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have hit his combo

9*

v2 75 S

This is one of the classic drivers in my opinion and hits very solid with this shaft. The flight characteristics are similar to an NV with the v2 hitting maybe a little higher in my opinion, but where the v2 seperates itself from the NV is the factor of feel. I think the v2 is the best feeling shaft that I have ever hit only possibly except the PF75 which it replaces. I was worried with the low torque that it would feel boardy but I was wrong and it was very lively and fun to hit. I would recommend it to anyone.
    G410 10.5* - F8+ 15* - F6 18* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Hi Toe 54* & 60* - BG F22
  • dtwainrightdtwainright Members Posts: 433
    jtizzle29 wrote on Dec 20 2005, 12:27 PM:

I have hit his combo

9*

v2 75 S

This is one of the classic drivers in my opinion and hits very solid with this shaft. The flight characteristics are similar to an NV with the v2 hitting maybe a little higher in my opinion, but where the v2 seperates itself from the NV is the factor of feel. I think the v2 is the best feeling shaft that I have ever hit only possibly except the PF75 which it replaces. I was worried with the low torque that it would feel boardy but I was wrong and it was very lively and fun to hit. I would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks for your feedback...no stores carry this combo in house, so it's good to hear about your experience.

Keep it coming!

Thanks!

Tyler
  • Don FrancisDon Francis Members Posts: 46
    NVS 55 Enough Said! image/idhitit.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
  • tallshortytallshorty Members Posts: 24
    I just put in an Accuflex Assassin II World Champion, worked for the RE/MAX long drive dude. And thats what Jody from Accuflex recommended for me. I like it so far.
  • WhiteStakeWhiteStake Members Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I just picked one up with a Aldila NV65 regular. If you like that shaft in your current driver, why fix what aint broke? I see you use 5.0 Project X shafts in your irons. I'm using 5.0 Rifles and love the feel and ball flight. Demo if you can.
  • SirShanksAlotSirShanksAlot SirShanksalot.com Members Posts: 690
    edited Dec 21, 2005 #10
    I play a 10* with the Fuji 652. It's a really nice combo if you are looking for a lower ball flight. I tried the 9* with the same shaft but it was a bit too low and I felt that I really had to swing at it to get it to work (my SS is around 108 - 110 MPH and I hit a fairly high ball)

We sell a ton of 454's at my shop and the most popular upgrade has to be the NV. I think part of it has to do with the color... people recognize the shaft right away and ask for it... a lot like they did with the old yellow UST ProForce. I don't know if it's the shaft for everyone but people that play it seem to really like it.

I hit a ton of demos before I decided on the 652 Speeder. The V2 felt great and it was my second choice. All I can say is demo, demo, demo. The $50 rebate makes this driver a steal!
  • dtwainrightdtwainright Members Posts: 433
    WhiteStake wrote on Dec 20 2005, 06:45 PM:

I just picked one up with a Aldila NV65 regular. If you like that shaft in your current driver, why fix what aint broke? I see you use 5.0 Project X shafts in your irons. I'm using 5.0 Rifles and love the feel and ball flight. Demo if you can.

I like the NVS in my current driver, but I'm thinking of building a 3 or 5 wood with that shaft…Or at least reashafting an older head.

I live the PX2 shafts...I had to get the high-launch version (although the flight is not that high...still a good medium flight with wonderful feel with great, consistent distance) I’ve been very happy with them.

Thanks for all the feedback, image/bye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' /> and I would still like to hear more about your experience!

Regards,

Tyler

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file