I CANT CHIP!!!!!!!! Please help with basics

I am struggling so bad around the greens its embarrassing.

Hinge and hold, use the bounce, flop, .... I dont know what method to use.

Can somebody please explain the basics for me. The Simplest method possible.

Im also flubbing those 40-60 yard shots as well.

Worst part is I was a scratch golfer years ago now hover around 5 or 6 but almost refuse to play now....

Main question is at what distance do you good chippers go from no hinge putting motion to a hinge and hold kinda swing.

Comments

• TB07TB07 Members Posts: 6,092 ✭✭
    Simplest method is to see your motion and why YOU are struggling.
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Members Posts: 5,577 ✭✭
    Short game for me is a lot about the rhythm of the motion. Even a little out of sync and things go bad. Which happens a lot more often when you're stressed.
    Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
    TM P790 4-AW
    Fourteen mt28v3 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

If you see any more new irons in my bag before 2020, call the paramedics because my wife will have seriously injured me
  • kits013kits013 Members Posts: 161
    Maybe you want to try the jason day method? Peter Finch just launched a video about it. It seems to be easiest way to get consistent result since it's more of a body rotation and taking the waist out.

Most people also struggle with chip and pitch because of 2 thing.

1. Arm push out to the target instead of completing the rotation ( toward left of the target)

2. Flipping the waist during downswing also costs a lot of blade and fat shot ( must keep right arm moving.

Hope it makes sense.
  • SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX Posts: 848 ClubWRX
    I had always been a good chipper until after I came back from a 2 year lay off. Everything fell back into place except my chipping, got the yips bad. Then one day I said "what the **** and why not" it couldn't get any worse. I started chipping cross-handed, I am now a better chipper than I have ever been. No plans on going back to conventional either!!!!!!!!!!!!

COBRA F9 Speedback 10.5*| UST Helium F3
    COBRA F9 Speedback 3wd | Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 6R
    ADAMS PRO A12 - 2 & 3 Hybrids | UST Mamiya VTS Silver
    PXG GEN-2 0311XF 4 - 6 irons | Accra Tour 100i Graphite Stiff 
    PXG GEN-2 0311P 7 - GW irons | Accra Tour 100i Graphite Stiff 
    PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 SW 54* - 12 | Wedge Flex
    PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 LW 58* - 6 | Wedge Flex
    PXG GUNBOAT H Putter
    PXG STAFF BAG

• Grayback1973Grayback1973 Members Posts: 1,935
    edited Aug 5, 2016 #6
    You're probably making smooth practice swings and then get over the ball,stiffen up,get uptight and put some jerky move on it.Short game IMO is 10% technique and 90% practice.Just my opinion.
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]D-Nike Vapor Fly[/font]
    3w-Nike Vapor Speed
    Adams Idea 17deg
    4-pw Mizuno mp59
    Cleveland cg16 sw-56
    Ping B60
  • kgeorge78kgeorge78 Members Posts: 7,745 ✭✭
    I stink as well. Hitting Driver and irons great - 70 yards in Im in trouble.

looking for tips as well
  • GalangaGalanga Members Posts: 702 ✭✭
    Check out Monte's videos (use the bounce). Similar method - Siekmann - he has a video series too.
    • Ping G400 Max 10.5; GD Tour AD DI 5S; 45.25"; D6+
    • Ping G400 17.5 (- to 16.9); GD AD-F 65 Stiff-Regular; 43"; D4
    • Ping G400 19 and 22; GD AD HY 85 Stiff (SS1); D3
    • Ping i210, PW-4i; black dot; +1/2; GD Tour AD 85S graphite shaft; D3.5-4.5
    • Ping i210 50, Glide Stealth 54ES and 58WS; +1/2; Paderson TS-W shaft (115 gm); D4.5-D5.5
    • Argolf Pendragon; BGT Stability; 34.5/70*
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,840 ✭✭
    edited Aug 5, 2016 #9
    I was struggling as well, and eventually went with a type of modified hinge and hold.

Feet close/stance square

Weight neutral

Ball forward (ish)

Face a little open

Minimal shaft lean

Moderate hinge with a short motion back

A little trail hand "hit" through impact

Aggressive through the ball

Sounds like a lot, but it really isn't.
    Mizuno St-180 9.5
    Mizuno JPX 900 15
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-Gw
    (Wedges TBD)
    (Putter TBD)
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett Members Posts: 3,460 ✭✭

Worst part is I was a scratch golfer years ago now hover around 5 or 6 but almost refuse to play now....

Main question is at what distance do you good chippers go from no hinge putting motion to a hinge and hold kinda swing.
    NW76, what loft wedge/wedges are you consistently using for these chips around the greens?
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]
    http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • sbarksbark Posts: 226 ✭✭
    To get thru play while working on it..........try I-Teach's (Dan Carraher) ---Toe extremely down technique--forces you to stand close to the ball technique........heel of the club way up---hitting with toe of club. biggest limitation is distance. but consistent contact is almost assured

Caught a tip from Paul Runyans 60's book that helped.............bring in right hand parallel or even more on top of grip............don't bring it it from under whatever you do.......
  • jslane57jslane57 Members Posts: 3,929 ✭✭

What kind of ball are you playing? Low HCP, probably a urethane covered ball. I know, I know, people love the urethane golf balls. Especially for short game. But they come off the club lower launch with tons of spin. Maybe practice some with a distance ball that gets off the club a little faster and higher. It may help your form. And to answer your question, no hinge putting motion for any distance you want. It is easier to keep weight forward and steady. You may put less spin on the ball, but why not? And ditch the LW...
  • haroleaseharolease Posts: 604 ✭✭
    Bouncing the club an inch on the ground before the ball with shallow swing is easier to reproduce daily than the tradition method of chipping where the ball is contacted first then ground.

Admittingly chipping is probably better chance of holing out but can get very nervy as the ball is further away from the hole

I prefer to chip if the contour of the green allows for true roll and generally inside 20 paces to the hole
  • TB07TB07 Members Posts: 6,092 ✭✭

You're probably making smooth practice swings and then get over the ball,stiffen up,get uptight and put some jerky move on it.Short game IMO is 10% technique and 90% practice.Just my opinion.

Ohh, I wish!
  • nick.woods76nick.woods76 Posts: 666 ✭✭

NW76, what loft wedge/wedges are you consistently using for these chips around the greens?

either 54 or 60. I can use a PW but want to learn how to chip before I 'cheat' lol.
  • Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France Members Posts: 5,353 ✭✭
    Hold the club as you normally would and use your putting stroke as if you were making a long putt. Start with a pitching wedge, feet together, weight on the forward foot.
  • nick.woods76nick.woods76 Posts: 666 ✭✭

either 54 or 60. I can use a PW but want to learn how to chip before I 'cheat' lol.

vokey sm6 s grinds
  • Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett Members Posts: 3,460 ✭✭
    edited Aug 8, 2016 #18

ok, well let me give you a strong opinion.... using PW ain't cheating. in fact coming out of the bag with 9, 8, and 7 as well is gonna make you a better chipper. and if you haven't "re"mastered those first, you're gonna struggle with the 54 & 60.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]
    http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • Smash FactorsSmash Factors Members Posts: 3,668 ✭✭
    I've found this to be pretty simple and handy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48PlO1NUvUs
    Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
    Some random 3 wood
    My same, old irons
    A few wedges...
    Scotty Cameron Fastback
  • timmy8151timmy8151 Members Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

ok, well let me give you a strong opinion.... using PW ain't cheating. in fact coming out of the bag with 9, 8, and 7 as well is gonna make you a better chipper. and if you haven't remastered those first, you're gonna struggle with the 54 & 60.

+1

If I have a good lie and space on the green to run I usually pull out my 8 iron to chip. Play the ball at your back foot, pull the heel off the ground, stand close and make a putting stroke
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,172 ✭✭
    edited Aug 7, 2016 #21
    split grip with a 7 or 8 iron, you can't over swing in the backswing
  • davlterrdavlterr Members Posts: 61
    I just recently started and my biggest improvement came when I finally purchased a 56 wedge. The borrowed set only had a 9i so I had to learn how a 56 worked. I'm a percentage swinger so I hit a few bucket of balls with 25%, 50, 75, 100 soft and 100% normal and logged the yardages. Once I got yardages worked out my scores keep getting better. Also with chipping I learned that one should not be weary of the 7,8,9 iron around the green that too began placing me nearer to the hole
  • mact3333mact3333 Posts: 310
    edited Aug 7, 2016 #23
    For short chips, I have a very loose grip(this is most important) and use putting stroke except that I hit down on ball. By far this has given me the best results. If I deviate from this, I get chunks and skulls. If you are thinking wrist **** and body turn, chipping becomes much more difficult than it needs to be.
  • Grayback1973Grayback1973 Members Posts: 1,935
    mact3333 wrote:

For short chips, I have a very loose grip(this is most important) and use putting stroke except that I hit down on ball. By far this has given me the best results. If I deviate from this, I get chunks and skulls. If you are thinking wrist **** and body turn, chipping becomes much more difficult than it needs to be.
    Agree on this.The wrists will **** more when it gets into pitch shots.But as far as basic chipping,relaxed hands and wrists are vital for control and also you get away more with mishits.
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]D-Nike Vapor Fly[/font]
    3w-Nike Vapor Speed
    Adams Idea 17deg
    4-pw Mizuno mp59
    Cleveland cg16 sw-56
    Ping B60
  • First you need to see and visualize the optimum shot. Then you need to select the best club for that shot (it might be a 7 iron). Then you need a perfect balanced set up with minimum tensions in the arms and maximum feel in your right hand (assuming you're right handed). Let your mind's eyes and right hand in charge of the partial shots in order to make it roll into the hole.

BTW, the biggest chip wrecker by far is too much tension in the arms and shoulders.
  • pmcukpmcuk Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭

I was struggling as well, and eventually went with a type of modified hinge and hold.

Feet close/stance square

Weight neutral

Ball forward (ish)

Face a little open

Minimal shaft lean

Moderate hinge with a short motion back

A little trail hand "hit" through impact

Aggressive through the ball

Sounds like a lot, but it really isn't.

That sounds perfect. With me, I've been gripping too hard and not letting the body rotate in a relaxed way. I read somewhere "grip strength is 2/10" and also "let the club fall into the shot". So I've been reading my Stan Utley (he says all this) and trying to really take all the tension out of the arms and upper body and just let the lower body play the shot more.

Felt at first like the "unbearable lightness of being" but you get to trust it, like Stan says.
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,235 ClubWRX
    go left hand low for little chips around the green.
    F9 9* Atmos Black TS7
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 75
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 75
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • NorthernHillsNorthernHills Members Posts: 63
    Three things that have made a real difference for me:

1) Focus/Practice: I've slimmed back so that I now only hit one of two shots... either my 60 degree or an 8 iron bump and run depending on the conditions/position. This has really helped me focus and build up consistency

2) Making sure I commit through the ball. This one was huge for me, I try and ensure that I'm always accelerating through the ball when I'm chipping no matter the range. A big cause of bad shots for me was not committing through the ball, so really focusing on achieving this has made a huge difference

3) Not overly focusing on the hole... this sounds a bit mad, but I now try and aim for a dustbin lid around the hole (3-5 feet) rather than the hole itself. I've no logic or science for this whatever, but I seem to have become a lot more consistent since taking this approach!

40-60 yards is still a mystery for me however!
  • pmcukpmcuk Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭
    Did some chipping practice this afternoon staying very much with Stan Utley's method. I used the interlock grip and the shots were going straighter, no doubt of it. Previously I used 10 finger grip which is comfortable but otherwise pretty wretched in terms of results.

I kept my hands in front of me, hinged up on the backswing, and pretty much dropped the club down without too much force. I was getting good direction and length this way, but what surprised me was the shots were going a lot higher than previously. I was surprised how much height and length I was getting with minimum effort. Must do some more of this.

I don't find the interlock grip at all comfortable, but it seems to work on short game.
  • Get your body leaving over the ball on impact and you'll never flub a shot. Hinge and hold everything. Never flop unless you have to.

As long as your angle of attack is proper you can't **** it up.

brentkosta wrote:
    Get your body leaving over the ball on impact and you'll never flub a shot. Hinge and hold everything. Never flop unless you have to.

As long as your angle of attack is proper you can't **** it up.

*leaning over.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]1W - Nike SQ Machspeed Black w/ Fubuki shaft[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]3W - Ol' Ratty Calloway Great Big Bertha [/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]4Hy - TaylorMade Burner Superfast 21*[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Irons - TaylorMade Burner 2.0[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SW - Cleveland CG15[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]LW - Cleveland CG12[/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]P - 35" Odyssey White Hot RX #9 w/ SuperStroke 3.0 grip[/font]
  • Shifty76Shifty76 Posts: 347 ✭✭
    I used to dread chipping. Way too many skulls over the green or stupid little duffs that went nowhere, then I read Rob Bernard's COG golf book and followed his chipping tips and it changed everything!

I now look forward to chipping.

Locking wrists and doing a pendulum swing following a clock face: 7 to 5 for shorter chips and 9 to 3 for longer ones.

Rather than trying to adjust your swing speed based on the distance he recommends hitting each of those swings with each of the irons in your back and noting down the carry and total distance you get from each.

Then it's just a simple matter of grabbing the right club for the distance you need - no need to adjust the strength of your swing, greatly reducing the chance of duffed / skulled shots.

It's worked for me image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file