I CANT CHIP!!!!!!!! Please help with basics

I am struggling so bad around the greens its embarrassing.

Hinge and hold, use the bounce, flop, .... I dont know what method to use.

Can somebody please explain the basics for me. The Simplest method possible.

Im also flubbing those 40-60 yard shots as well.

Worst part is I was a scratch golfer years ago now hover around 5 or 6 but almost refuse to play now....

Main question is at what distance do you good chippers go from no hinge putting motion to a hinge and hold kinda swing.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short game for me is a lot about the rhythm of the motion. Even a little out of sync and things go bad. Which happens a lot more often when you're stressed.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Maybe you want to try the jason day method? Peter Finch just launched a video about it. It seems to be easiest way to get consistent result since it's more of a body rotation and taking the waist out.

Most people also struggle with chip and pitch because of 2 thing.

1. Arm push out to the target instead of completing the rotation ( toward left of the target)

2. Flipping the waist during downswing also costs a lot of blade and fat shot ( must keep right arm moving.

Hope it makes sense.

I had always been a good chipper until after I came back from a 2 year lay off. Everything fell back into place except my chipping, got the yips bad. Then one day I said "what the hell and why not" it couldn't get any worse. I started chipping cross-handed, I am now a better chipper than I have ever been. No plans on going back to conventional either!!!!!!!!!!!!

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   DF 3.0 w/Accra
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Check out Monte's videos (use the bounce). Similar method - Siekmann - he has a video series too.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

I was struggling as well, and eventually went with a type of modified hinge and hold.

Feet close/stance square

Weight neutral

Ball forward (ish)

Face a little open

Minimal shaft lean

Moderate hinge with a short motion back

A little trail hand "hit" through impact

Aggressive through the ball

Sounds like a lot, but it really isn't.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Worst part is I was a scratch golfer years ago now hover around 5 or 6 but almost refuse to play now....

Main question is at what distance do you good chippers go from no hinge putting motion to a hinge and hold kinda swing.

NW76, what loft wedge/wedges are you consistently using for these chips around the greens?

To get thru play while working on it..........try I-Teach's (Dan Carraher) ---Toe extremely down technique--forces you to stand close to the ball technique........heel of the club way up---hitting with toe of club. biggest limitation is distance. but consistent contact is almost assured

Caught a tip from Paul Runyans 60's book that helped.............bring in right hand parallel or even more on top of grip............don't bring it it from under whatever you do.......

What kind of ball are you playing? Low HCP, probably a urethane covered ball. I know, I know, people love the urethane golf balls. Especially for short game. But they come off the club lower launch with tons of spin. Maybe practice some with a distance ball that gets off the club a little faster and higher. It may help your form. And to answer your question, no hinge putting motion for any distance you want. It is easier to keep weight forward and steady. You may put less spin on the ball, but why not? And ditch the LW...

Bouncing the club an inch on the ground before the ball with shallow swing is easier to reproduce daily than the tradition method of chipping where the ball is contacted first then ground.

Admittingly chipping is probably better chance of holing out but can get very nervy as the ball is further away from the hole

I prefer to chip if the contour of the green allows for true roll and generally inside 20 paces to the hole

NW76, what loft wedge/wedges are you consistently using for these chips around the greens?

either 54 or 60. I can use a PW but want to learn how to chip before I 'cheat' lol.

either 54 or 60. I can use a PW but want to learn how to chip before I 'cheat' lol.

vokey sm6 s grinds

ok, well let me give you a strong opinion.... using PW ain't cheating. in fact coming out of the bag with 9, 8, and 7 as well is gonna make you a better chipper. and if you haven't "re"mastered those first, you're gonna struggle with the 54 & 60.

ok, well let me give you a strong opinion.... using PW ain't cheating. in fact coming out of the bag with 9, 8, and 7 as well is gonna make you a better chipper. and if you haven't remastered those first, you're gonna struggle with the 54 & 60.

+1

If I have a good lie and space on the green to run I usually pull out my 8 iron to chip. Play the ball at your back foot, pull the heel off the ground, stand close and make a putting stroke

I just recently started and my biggest improvement came when I finally purchased a 56 wedge. The borrowed set only had a 9i so I had to learn how a 56 worked. I'm a percentage swinger so I hit a few bucket of balls with 25%, 50, 75, 100 soft and 100% normal and logged the yardages. Once I got yardages worked out my scores keep getting better. Also with chipping I learned that one should not be weary of the 7,8,9 iron around the green that too began placing me nearer to the hole

For short chips, I have a very loose grip(this is most important) and use putting stroke except that I hit down on ball. By far this has given me the best results. If I deviate from this, I get chunks and skulls. If you are thinking wrist c0ck and body turn, chipping becomes much more difficult than it needs to be.

For short chips, I have a very loose grip(this is most important) and use putting stroke except that I hit down on ball. By far this has given me the best results. If I deviate from this, I get chunks and skulls. If you are thinking wrist c0ck and body turn, chipping becomes much more difficult than it needs to be.

Agree on this.The wrists will c0ck more when it gets into pitch shots.But as far as basic chipping,relaxed hands and wrists are vital for control and also you get away more with mishits.

First you need to see and visualize the optimum shot. Then you need to select the best club for that shot (it might be a 7 iron). Then you need a perfect balanced set up with minimum tensions in the arms and maximum feel in your right hand (assuming you're right handed). Let your mind's eyes and right hand in charge of the partial shots in order to make it roll into the hole.

BTW, the biggest chip wrecker by far is too much tension in the arms and shoulders.

I was struggling as well, and eventually went with a type of modified hinge and hold.

Feet close/stance square

Weight neutral

Ball forward (ish)

Face a little open

Minimal shaft lean

Moderate hinge with a short motion back

A little trail hand "hit" through impact

Aggressive through the ball

Sounds like a lot, but it really isn't.

That sounds perfect. With me, I've been gripping too hard and not letting the body rotate in a relaxed way. I read somewhere "grip strength is 2/10" and also "let the club fall into the shot". So I've been reading my Stan Utley (he says all this) and trying to really take all the tension out of the arms and upper body and just let the lower body play the shot more.

Felt at first like the "unbearable lightness of being" but you get to trust it, like Stan says.

Three things that have made a real difference for me:

1) Focus/Practice: I've slimmed back so that I now only hit one of two shots... either my 60 degree or an 8 iron bump and run depending on the conditions/position. This has really helped me focus and build up consistency

2) Making sure I commit through the ball. This one was huge for me, I try and ensure that I'm always accelerating through the ball when I'm chipping no matter the range. A big cause of bad shots for me was not committing through the ball, so really focusing on achieving this has made a huge difference

3) Not overly focusing on the hole... this sounds a bit mad, but I now try and aim for a dustbin lid around the hole (3-5 feet) rather than the hole itself. I've no logic or science for this whatever, but I seem to have become a lot more consistent since taking this approach!

40-60 yards is still a mystery for me however!

Did some chipping practice this afternoon staying very much with Stan Utley's method. I used the interlock grip and the shots were going straighter, no doubt of it. Previously I used 10 finger grip which is comfortable but otherwise pretty wretched in terms of results.

I kept my hands in front of me, hinged up on the backswing, and pretty much dropped the club down without too much force. I was getting good direction and length this way, but what surprised me was the shots were going a lot higher than previously. I was surprised how much height and length I was getting with minimum effort. Must do some more of this.

I don't find the interlock grip at all comfortable, but it seems to work on short game.

Get your body leaving over the ball on impact and you'll never flub a shot. Hinge and hold everything. Never flop unless you have to.

As long as your angle of attack is proper you can't screw it up.

Get your body leaving over the ball on impact and you'll never flub a shot. Hinge and hold everything. Never flop unless you have to.

As long as your angle of attack is proper you can't screw it up.

*leaning over.