iGolf caddie II reviews?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted a couple of observations on one of the other GPS threads however I didn't do a deep review. Here's my opinions/impressions.

I bought my GPS Caddie II approximately 3 months ago. I've used it for dozens of rounds and am, in general, completely satisfied with the performance of the unit. The display is crisp and readable. Backlit is adequate. Battery life is satisfactory-I preferred the non-rechargable nature of the GPS Caddie to the rechargables used in many of the other units. Reception and signal lock has been outstanding-I've never experienced a loss of signal with the unit. Accuracy appears to be equivelant to the Skygolf and Garmin units I've compared it with. Mapping user defined points is very easy and flexible as is mapping a course. I've only had one course that I've played not be available for download from iGolf's website. My only complaint (and it is a minor one at that) is the joystick button doesn't seem as responsive in one direction as it does in the other but that may just be my lack of coordination!!

The iGolf software is easy to load and use although it only runs in Winblows (no Mac support). The data transfer rates from laptop to unit are fairly slow (3-5 minutes per course) but that may be the slow, old craptop that I'm using. The only issue I've found thus far has been uploading and editing a course I mapped myself. I've contacted iGolf support regarding the issue and am awaiting their response.

My biggest reason for buying the iGolf over the other units is the subscription issue. iGolf is subscription based however you "own" the downloaded course data-there isn't, to the best of my knowlege, a time based expiration function on the course data like there is on some of the other units.

Hope this helps you make a more informed decision.

thanks for the info. One of the criteria for me is being able to have user replaceable batteries, using rechargeables and keep spare alkalines in the cart for backup seems like the best option. Or, just use good quality alkalines.

To bad more manufactures don't think that way, there are many excellent GPS systems but for the above reason I will not even consider them.

Many of the systems have no subscription fees which is a nice feature.

So far with all the research, the Sonocaddie and Igolf II are the top choices.

Not changing my username but
had a hole in 1!

[quote]The iGolf software is easy to load and use although it only runs in Winblows (no Mac support). The data transfer rates from laptop to unit are fairly slow (3-5 minutes per course) but that may be the slow, old craptop that I'm using. The only issue I've found thus far has been uploading and editing a course I mapped myself. I've contacted iGolf support regarding the issue and am awaiting their response.[/quote]

Can you explain for a would be buyer the difficulty you have had in uploading and editing a course you mapped? I thought that all if the data is input into the unit as you walk around. Do you input the waypoints on course, then download to software on your laptop, refine etc and then upload back to the GPS?
Thanks.

With the Caddie you can map a course just using the unit including all of the way points. Or you can create the course file on the computer then upload it into the caddie and then map the points.
You can back up anything you have on the caddie back to your computer.
I keep a backup copy of the courses I have downloaded or mapped on a flash drive as well as my computer just in case the computer hard drive crashes.
I have owned the original Caddie which I sold and replaced it with the Caddie II. I haven't had a chance to use the new one as living in Canada at this time of year is not necessarily golf friendly. The other thing about living in Canada is that Igolf does not have many golf courses mapped up this way, so you get good at mapping your own.

[quote name='dlnljl' post='886508' date='Jan 28 2008, 03:48 AM']With the Caddie you can map a course just using the unit including all of the way points. Or you can create the course file on the computer then upload it into the caddie and then map the points.
I keep a backup copy of the courses I have downloaded or mapped on a flash drive as well as my computer just in case the computer hard drive crashes.
I have owned the original Caddie which I sold and replaced it with the Caddie II. I haven't had a chance to use the new one as living in Canada at this time of year is not necessarily golf friendly. The other thing about living in Canada is that Igolf does not have many golf courses mapped up this way, so you get good at mapping your own.[/quote]
Being able to backup mapped courses is an excellent feature. Is it eight points max for mapping? Then that would be 2 for the green (front and back) and only 6 left?

had a hole in 1!

[quote name='dlnljl' post='886508' date='Jan 28 2008, 03:48 AM']With the Caddie you can map a course just using the unit including all of the way points. Or you can create the course file on the computer then upload it into the caddie and then map the points.
I have owned the original Caddie which I sold and replaced it with the Caddie II. I haven't had a chance to use the new one as living in Canada at this time of year is not necessarily golf friendly. The other thing about living in Canada is that Igolf does not have many golf courses mapped up this way, so you get good at mapping your own.[/quote]
Being able to backup mapped courses is an excellent feature. Is it eight points max for mapping? Then that would be 2 for the green (front and back) and only 6 left?

had a hole in 1!

You map front, center and back on the green-that leaves the 10 user customizable points available. When I mapped the last course I mapped only the green as I didn't want to take the time to map other features. When I play it again, I'll add in features like layups, fairway bunkers, etc.

Uploading and editing was easy-as I mentioned in the earlier post, I found a problem with the upload-only the front 9 uploaded. The unit has data for all 18 greens but only the front nine seemed to have uploaded-I've contacted iGolf customer service regarding the problem but have not heard back, as yet.

[quote name='dlnljl' post='886508' date='Jan 28 2008, 12:48 AM']The other thing about living in Canada is that Igolf does not have many golf courses mapped up this way, so you get good at mapping your own.[/quote]

HI,
what part of Canada do you live in. I'm in Vancouver. I'm thinking of getting an Igolf Neo. If you are in the same area perhaps we could share some maps.

The other thing about living in Canada is that Igolf does not have many golf courses mapped up this way, so you get good at mapping your own.

ย 

HI,

what part of Canada do you live in. I'm in Vancouver. I'm thinking of getting an Igolf Neo. If you are in the same area perhaps we could share some maps.

ย 

Hi

Sorry I live out Toronto way. But you bring up a good point that the files for the Igolf units can be shared by other people.

There is a site in Canada that does have some files for the Igolf. I believe they are one of the distributors, but they charge to download files from them. Here is the link they do have courses from BC

http://www.golfincanada.ca/gps.php

Just bought the Igolf caddie II from overstock.com with a 10% off coupon (126128) for $189.00 delivered. I need a good mounting bracket for my sun mountain speed cart. Please let me know if you come across one.

ย 

I will post a review, first impressions only, won't be playing until April. I may walk our course though, and try it out that way.

ย 

Thanks to all forum members for their input, helped a lot with my choice of a GPS.

ย 

btw, it came down to the igolf or the sonocaddie. Hope I made the right choice.

ย 

What moved me to the igolf was being able to backup you data (customized courses, etc.) to your pc.

Haven't seen another one that has this feature.

Think I would be ticked off if I went through the time and effort to map courses and something caused the gps to "lose" this information.

ย 

Don't like the 30 subscription fee with the Igolf, but for 30 I can download 50 courses that are mine to keep.

So add the 30 to the 180 I paid for the Igolf II for a total of 210.

I don't plan on renewing so I'm all set with a highly accurate gps with no other fees. Uses a sirf chipset that seems to be one of the highly accurate systems.

had a hole in 1!

Nope-but it looks like it would work. The mount I bought has a slightly different attacment method-it uses a ubolt and wing nuts to clamp to the handle of your cart. I checked the e-bay store where I found it and didn't see the item I bought for sale

Found one, since I need it for a speed cart, this will work - (heavy duty one at bottom of page) http://www.igolfmounts.com/page/page/4673782.htm

a bit steep at $45.00, but not much else available.

had a hole in 1!

I looked at that unit as well and would have bought it if I hadn't found the less expensive unit I bought. Interestingly enough, both units use the exact same adaptor (the box where the belt clip attaches) as well as the ball and socket pivot. The only differerence is in the attachment-the unit I have is pretty much permanent-you'd have to undo the wing nuts to take the ubolt off. The clamp on this unit is a bit more obtrusive but does allow you to move the unit more easily.

I received the igolf caddie. I'm dissapointed in the display brightness. My old eyes are having a tough time with it. Wish it was a color or brighter and this gps would be a no brainer. I may return it and way for any new competitors or maybe a color gps for igolf.

ย 

I would compare this display to my first Visor Pda. Once I moved up to a color screen PDA it was so much easier on the eyes.

ย 

I must say it was a cloudy day today, when I was looking at the display. Would it be easier to see in the sunlight?

I was impressed with the SAT reception - Excellent.

ย 

I may also revisit the Sonocadie, their display looks like it has more contrast.

had a hole in 1!

Decided to keep it. Excellent sat coverage and accuracy. Still wish the screen was brighter but it will do. Went out on a course today and it was dead on the holes I checked. Even had some custom points marked that I didn't know about. When your in the default" screen (has green, front, center, back and shot distance), you have to "toggle down" to get see these points which I didn't see in the instruction manual.

had a hole in 1!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a picture of the Caddie II in the plam of the hand or next to a dollar bill or quarter?

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just used mine for the first time the other day. I was a little dissapointed. I was having some trouble getting accurate yardages. This is what was happening: I would get to my ball and the unit would say as an example, "150" yards. I know I was farther than that, so I would check it again. Same thing. So I would hit my shot and then look at it again, now it would say "162" which is much more accurate. One hole I was standing on the 200 yard marker and it was telling me it was 216 which I know is wrong for sure. After hitting the shot and checking the unit, it said 202. It did this all day. The yardages were always wrong at first. Is there a setting or something that I need to put it on? It was a cloudy day, but that shouldn't effect it should it?

Anyone else have these problems?

• 3 weeks later...
Just used mine for the first time the other day. I was a little dissapointed. I was having some trouble getting accurate yardages. This is what was happening: I would get to my ball and the unit would say as an example, "150" yards. I know I was farther than that, so I would check it again. Same thing. So I would hit my shot and then look at it again, now it would say "162" which is much more accurate. One hole I was standing on the 200 yard marker and it was telling me it was 216 which I know is wrong for sure. After hitting the shot and checking the unit, it said 202. It did this all day. The yardages were always wrong at first. Is there a setting or something that I need to put it on? It was a cloudy day, but that shouldn't effect it should it?

Anyone else have these problems?

BUMP this up as i just bought a caddie II and want to know if anybody else is having these problems?

My Bag
Callaway Epic SZ 9* Rogue 125msi 70x
TM M1 3w Kuro Kage 80x
Bridgestone j15 cb's w/modus 120x's
Titleist SM6 52,54,60
odyssey big T

I haven't had a similar type of problem with mine except when the batteries were very low. Did you check to see if the WAAS function was on? (I think it defaults to on)-this improves the accuracy (provided a WAAS signal is available in your neck of the woods. You might also choose to turn off the "stand still" feature (I don't remember exactly what it is called). This feature slows the updating of the distance when the receiver is not moving-it might be why you are not seeing an updated distance at the time you wish to determine your shot.

I haven't had a similar type of problem with mine except when the batteries were very low. Did you check to see if the WAAS function was on? (I think it defaults to on)-this improves the accuracy (provided a WAAS signal is available in your neck of the woods. You might also choose to turn off the "stand still" feature (I don't remember exactly what it is called). This feature slows the updating of the distance when the receiver is not moving-it might be why you are not seeing an updated distance at the time you wish to determine your shot.

ย 

I did everything that was recommended by the manufacturer. It helped a little, but still kept getting big changes in yardages. The batteries were fresh. I returned it and got a Bushnell. Now I know exactly what I have to the pin everytime with no worries about accuracy. I wanted the GPS to work, but I guess it just wasn't for me.

• 7 months later...

Works great, until . . . .

Had the unit 10 wks. with no problem. Usually not more than 1 yd. off against other units or known good markings. Then it developed a drift/jump problem. Usually jumps 10 yds. or more (WAAS on). Numerous emails to support. They had me try WAAS and Stabilizer settings on/off, plus several resets. All no help. Their response - "The issue you are describing has never been reported on a Caddie II and we have thousands of devices out in the market." - which is a lie. You can do a google search or check golf forums and find otherwise. I offered to send signed statements by witnesses observing this, or a short video clip showing it, and they rejected those ideas.

They finally gave me an RMA and I sent the unit in. I think when they got it, they loaded a test course on it, turned it off and set it on the shelf for a week, and then notified me they couldn't duplicate the failure and were sending it back.

What a bunch of b.s. The warranty is useless.

What I see: after being in one position and unit has stabilized, the readings (green distances or shot distance) will start jumping all over. MTTF (mean-time-to-failure) = 5 seconds. The range with WAAS on is usually 4 to 27 yds. With WAAS off, you can see it drift rather than the wild jumps. In approx. 25 - 18-hole rounds since the failure started, I have only observed it NOT jump around twice while in one position for about 2 mins.

I'm pretty sure that they need a software fix and don't have the expertise to do it. It is similar in scope to a problem Garmin had with an automotive GPS where your position could jump between a frontage road and a highway. They had thousands of unit that were working ok, but some failed. And they finally released a fix for it. Both use SiRF chipsets.

Also, in July I reported a course with 17 holes with center of green off by 18 yds.(1 hole off by 16 yds.) Never heard back from them.