We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.
***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Ping G Iron Cleanup w/ Bar Keepers Friend (pictures)

pkshooter ·  
pkshooterpkshooter  1563Members Posts: 1,563
So there are several references in the Ping G irons thread about using bar keepers friend to clean up the faces. I finally got around to doing this today and I am pretty happy with the results. I have had my G irons for just over a month and have about 9 rounds on them. After 9 rounds, there is definitely more noticeable face wear than my older I5 or G15 irons had. Some of the irons had a few oxidation spots as well. The 6 iron was the worst (pictured below). I cleaned my clubs like I normally would using water and a tooth brush. After the initial cleaning, I took the "before" pictures. Next, I took a little bit of BKF powder on a paper plate, sprinkled some water on it, and mixed it up with my wife's toothbrush to a thin consistency. I scrubbed the face and sole of each club with the BKF paste. Once I finished, I washed each club with fresh water to remove the BKF. Here are the before and after shots on two of the clubs.

6 iron before BKF

Posted:
Ping i25 9.5* Diamana Ahina
TaylorMade V-Steel 15* DG Stiff
Ping G25 20*, 23* Hybrid TFC Stiff
Ping G 5-UW N.S. Pro Modus3 105
Ping Glide 54*WS, 58*ES CFS Wedge
Ping Anser Milled
WITB Link

Comments

• LHGolf4LHGolf4  517Lefty Boomers Posts: 517
    Those look great. That stuff is awesome, takes hard water spots off glass with zero effort as well.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • budeaglebudeagle  221Members Posts: 221
    What does your wife think about them after using her toothbrush?
    Posted:
  • putts4bogeyputts4bogey Puppies and Butterflies  1649Members Posts: 1,649
    They look good! Nice job and tip.
    Posted:
    What is and What Should Never Be
  • Bsgolf53Bsgolf53  428Banned Posts: 428
    What's going on with Ping these days? Irons look good after clean up but Ping has issues right now...
    Posted:
  • pkshooterpkshooter  1563Members Posts: 1,563
    budeagle wrote:

Fortunately she doesn't read golf forums.
    Posted:
    Ping Anser Milled
    WITB Link
    Bsgolf53 wrote:

What's going on with Ping these days? Irons look good after clean up but Ping has issues right now...

Not sure. One thing is that the newer finishes will never be as durable as the old tumbled finish of the Eye 2 era or the guyson finish on the I3/I5 era. My guess is that the oxidation spots are from metal cross contamination where the heads are produced.
    Posted:
    Ping Anser Milled
    WITB Link

Advertisement
  • proroboprorobo  3209Members Posts: 3,209
    pkshooter wrote:

budeagle wrote:

Fortunately she doesn't read golf forums.

Posted:
  • lil'mikelil'mike  1298Members Posts: 1,298
    Bar Keeper's Friend is great stuff.

I never thought about using it on clubs but i do use it to clean ceramic rods that I use for sharpening knives and it works like a charm and takes all the metal that was removed from the blades edge off the ceramic stones to make them look like new.
    Posted:
  • TroutflyTroutfly  252Members Posts: 252
    no better cleaner for ping irons, works on all others pretty good too...
    Posted:
  • falken19150falken19150  1766Members Posts: 1,766
    Great stuff!! Are the dark spots on the 9 iron face just fingerprints or is it oxidized?
    Posted:

Great stuff!! Are the dark spots on the 9 iron face just fingerprints or is it oxidized?

If you are asking about the dark spots on the after photo, those are just from not having the face completely dry. There were some oxidation spots on the before picture.
    Posted:
    Ping Anser Milled
    WITB Link

Advertisement
  • falken19150falken19150  1766Members Posts: 1,766
    Nice work mate. Went out and picked some up today. Thanks.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.