Clear Golf Balls

jmcharriesjmcharries Members Posts: 38
so I have been trying out different golf balls (though I am still so new not sure it really matters at this stage) and I came across a company called ClearSports that make a Clear Golf golf ball. These things are super expensive, you can get a starter pack here: http://www.clear-golf.com/introset



Anyways, they have a weird system that is invite only and you pay about $900 a year and they send you 12 dozen. My question is has anybody ever used any of these balls and how were they? Just curious as I do not plan to spend $900
Tagged:

Comments

  • rcain1usrcain1us Members Posts: 2,938 ✭✭
    Trying to create buzz by charging $80 for boutique balls - no thanks
  • johnnydmanjohnnydman Members Posts: 152
    But...they're not clear?
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members Posts: 4,781 ✭✭
    jmcharries wrote:


    My question is has anybody ever used any of these balls and how were they?




    I'm guessing the answers are:



    1. No, no one ever has used any of these balls, ever.



    2. We'll never know, because no one has ever used any of these balls.
  • jmcharriesjmcharries Members Posts: 38
    KMeloney wrote:

    jmcharries wrote:


    My question is has anybody ever used any of these balls and how were they?




    I'm guessing the answers are:



    1. No, no one ever has used any of these balls, ever.



    2. We'll never know, because no one has ever used any of these balls.






    I tend to agree. The price mixed with the "invitation only" way they distribute the balls makes it suspicious to me - as in a scam. But figured worth asking about
  • bubbagumpshrimpbubbagumpshrimp Members Posts: 579
    "Invitation only," lol.
  • Browns71213Browns71213 Members Posts: 582 ✭✭
    Remember when Steve Jobs told us we needed a device between our phone and our laptops and we all laughed at the IPAD? Something tells me there will be a few takers.
    Calloway Big Bertha 460 9* Driver
    Cleveland HiBore XLS S 13* 3 Wood
    Kasco Super Hyten K2K 33 16* Hybrid
    Kasco Super Hyten K2K 44 19* Hybrid
    Original King Cobra Irons 4-SW
    Snake Eyes 58* Wedge
    Odyssey Versa #7H 35" Putter
  • bubbagumpshrimpbubbagumpshrimp Members Posts: 579
    edited Aug 25, 2016 #8


    Remember when Steve Jobs told us we needed a device between our phone and our laptops and we all laughed at the IPAD? Something tells me there will be a few takers.




    That's a bit different. People would spend $20 on a bag of mulch if it had an Apple logo on it.



    Edit: But yes...you're right...this will definitely appeal to the "I want to be different, just like everyone else" crowd.
  • jtj74jtj74 Members Posts: 786 ✭✭
    $900 per year??????????? For 144 golf balls????????? who wants to hit $6.25 balls in to the water?
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members Posts: 4,781 ✭✭
    jtj74 wrote:


    $900 per year??????????? For 144 golf balls????????? who wants to hit $6.25 balls in to the water?




    Wait, you might hit one of these into the water?



    Well... NO MEMBERSHIP INVITE FOR YOU!
  • just plain billjust plain bill Unregistered Posts: 1,488 ✭✭
    this is the stupidest thing i have ever heard of...hope nobody falls for it...
  • jtj74jtj74 Members Posts: 786 ✭✭
    KMeloney wrote:

    jtj74 wrote:


    $900 per year??????????? For 144 golf balls????????? who wants to hit $6.25 balls in to the water?




    Wait, you might hit one of these into the water?



    Well... NO MEMBERSHIP INVITE FOR YOU!




    I don't belong in that club anyway. I hit balls in water and I don't want the cost of that to jeopardize my kids being able to eat and live indoors.
  • Awesomeguy887Awesomeguy887 Members Posts: 623 ✭✭


    "Invitation only," lol.




    Yeah I bet those invitations are really tough to get. It's a priviledge to be able to overpay for golf balls.
    Ping G30 SFT 12
    Ping G5 3W
    Ping G Crossover 4
    Ping G15 4 - U
    Vokey SM6 56.14, 60.04
    Odyssey White Hot XG #7
  • TheGeekGolferTheGeekGolfer Just beat the Huskies! Go Cougs! Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭
    well, as they say... a fool and his money are soon parted! Really, $80 for a box of golf balls? Proprietary core blah, blah, blah... I thought they were going to be 'clear' as in see-through. These are just rebranded urethane balls, most likely produced in the same factory as every other new 'internet' ball!
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,535 ClubWRX
    jmcharries wrote:


    so I have been trying out different golf balls (though I am still so new not sure it really matters at this stage) and I came across a company called ClearSports that make a Clear Golf golf ball. These things are super expensive, you can get a starter pack here: http://www.clear-golf.com/introset



    Anyways, they have a weird system that is invite only and you pay about $900 a year and they send you 12 dozen. My question is has anybody ever used any of these balls and how were they? Just curious as I do not plan to spend $900




    Sir or Madam as appropriate...



    If you're new to the game, go to a site that sells used balls and pick up several different balls a dozen or two at a crack and see which you like the best.



    Then send me the other $750.00 and we'll call it even.
  • jmcharriesjmcharries Members Posts: 38
    DavePelz4 wrote:

    jmcharries wrote:


    so I have been trying out different golf balls (though I am still so new not sure it really matters at this stage) and I came across a company called ClearSports that make a Clear Golf golf ball. These things are super expensive, you can get a starter pack here: http://www.clear-golf.com/introset



    Anyways, they have a weird system that is invite only and you pay about $900 a year and they send you 12 dozen. My question is has anybody ever used any of these balls and how were they? Just curious as I do not plan to spend $900




    Sir or Madam as appropriate...



    If you're new to the game, go to a site that sells used balls and pick up several different balls a dozen or two at a crack and see which you like the best.



    Then send me the other $750.00 and we'll call it even.




    Ha! I had no real intention of buying these AT ALL - I was just curious if anybody ever had. I get most of mine from a local guy that pulls them out of ponds and sells them out of a bucket - probably not the demographic Clear Golf is going for, but thanks for the offer
  • basbolstarbasbolstar Members Posts: 437
    I have used them before. They are hands down best balls I have used around a green. Few guys at my club use them. both + handicaps. They swear by them
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,208 ✭✭
    Oh this keeps getting better for these balls.



    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikmatuszewski/2016/09/07/clear-advantage-a-membership-only-golf-ball-you-might-not-be-able-to-buy/#53b5d98176d7



    Those invited to be members receive a case of 12 dozen golf balls for $950 along with a hat and pullover bearing the Clear logo. So the balls aren’t cheap. At close to $80 a dozen, they’re considerably more expensive than the Pro-V1 ($48 and up for a box of 12). But you’re paying for privilege as well as performance.

    In fact, Clear actually limits the number of members from each club, with that max currently set at two. Using a hypothetical example, let’s say two members from Shinnecock on Long Island sign on to play Clear balls; that might be it for the club. There are exceptions, with five current Pine Valley members playing Clear balls.
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,942 ✭✭
    Look like the same factory as Vice balls.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

    WITB Link
  • deetsaldeetsal deetsal Members Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    It's got to be the best ball ever made, it says so in their ad, why would they lie?
  • basbolstarbasbolstar Members Posts: 437
    i truly don't think its that far fetched when you consider the amount of $$ people waste trying to hit clubs and shafts they have no biz playing.



    as the only person on this thread that has actually hit one..dont knock it until you try it.
  • hoselrocket24hoselrocket24 Members Posts: 5
    I tried the 4-piece Clear ball (I also thought it was literally see-through when I first heard about it) and really liked them a lot. I have a friend who got a membership and, I'll be honest, I actually preferred them to the Pro-V1's I usually play...



    The former athletes like Jeremy Roenick, Jim Courier, Sterling Sharpe, etc who use them aren't paid endorsers either. They legitimately pay to use the balls and apparently swear by them.



    From my perspective, Clear is establishing a niche by creating this air of exclusivity. It's on a much smaller scale from the top-notch private club that dyed-in-the-wool golfers are dying to play just because most of them can't -- ie Augusta or Pine Valley. The same way someone wearing a Seminole logo shirt would impress a subset of golfers, I see the Clear balls doing the same because they have this air of uniqueness. Especially in the pro athlete set, when they can use a high-performance ball that's different than what everyone else is playing with.



    Maybe Charles Barkley will be playing those balls in Tahoe next year...
  • j.b.newtonj.b.newton Members Posts: 612 ✭✭
    So clear golf balls should only be hit with PXG clubs?
  • Awesomeguy887Awesomeguy887 Members Posts: 623 ✭✭
    Do the people defending these work for clear or something? There is no way the price they are asking for these is justified. It's expensive just to be expensive.
    Ping G30 SFT 12
    Ping G5 3W
    Ping G Crossover 4
    Ping G15 4 - U
    Vokey SM6 56.14, 60.04
    Odyssey White Hot XG #7
  • bubbagumpshrimpbubbagumpshrimp Members Posts: 579
    Sooner or later, it'll get leaked that these are just 'xxxxxxxx' balls with a different logo.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,243 ✭✭
    This is the best thread I've seen in a while. Love it.



    I Went to the clear web site and its really amazing that something that is so unbelievably mind numbingly stupid could actually be real. I have to imagine that anyone who signs up must eventually be targeted by the people behind the site for a variety of investment scams and ponzi rip offs. This really has to be part of a bigger scheme to take money from idiots with no common sense. If I were a criminal I would pay really good money to get my hands on that "member list".



    It really is quite impressive in a most immoral grotesque way.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,208 ✭✭
    edited Sep 9, 2016 #27


    This is the best thread I've seen in a while. Love it.



    I Went to the clear web site and its really amazing that something that is so unbelievably mind numbingly stupid could actually be real. I have to imagine that anyone who signs up must eventually be targeted by the people behind the site for a variety of investment scams and ponzi rip offs. This really has to be part of a bigger scheme to take money from idiots with no common sense. If I were a criminal I would pay really good money to get my hands on that "member list".


    It's really impressive when you have somebody in this thread that just joined here two days back already defending the ball. image/busted2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted2:' />
  • Need2golfalotNeed2golfalot Members Posts: 674
    It is true that some people have so much money they literally don't know what to do with it.
Sign In or Register to comment.