Cobra King Pro Irons....What ya got???

socied ·  
sociedsocied GameCocks2011Wilmington NC 1260WRX Points: 127Members Posts: 1,260 Platinum Tees
I wanted to start this thread to see who is still playing these and if yall are still loving them?!?!? Also, what shafts are you playing? And show me your paint fill!!!

I just picked up a set and promptly removed the paintfill. I was going to use some photo blue paint to match some of my Nike gear, but I LOVE the murdered out look.

I have tour issue x100s coming in this week so hopefully they will fit nicely with these. I wanted to jump on KBS or Nippons but ive played x100s my whole golf life. I love them.

Posted:

Comments

• GolfinHackGolfinHack  387WRX Points: 58Handicap: WorkMembers Posts: 387 Greens
    I've been keeping a close eye on the BST for a set of these heads. I like the no paint fill look. Very clean.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • sociedsocied GameCocks2011 Wilmington NC 1260WRX Points: 127Members Posts: 1,260 Platinum Tees
    I'd say jump on them if you can. I've demo these quite a bit over the last few months and never pulle me the trigger. I've only hit the 6 and 8 iron on the course and they were awesome. Hoping to get the full set out this weekend
    Posted:
  • pleadguitarpleadguitar Sudbury, Ontario 681WRX Points: 80Handicap: 5.7Members Posts: 681 Golden Tee
    **** irons, I wish I could afford a set of those
    Posted:
    Cobra F6+ Pro 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X 44.5"
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° Project X pxv 6.0
    Cobra S2 Forged 3-PW Nippon NSPro1130 Tour 
    Cobra King PUR 50°V-54.5°V DG S300
    Callaway PM Grind 59° DG S300
    Wilson Staff 8802 Milled 32.5"
    Titleist DT Trusoft/ Callaway Superhot 
  • JJuel5JJuel5  122WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 122
    I so badly want some, but just not in the budget with a wedding less than 2 mos away.

Although if I could get a great price would be tough to pass up.
    Posted:
    Nike Covert 2.0 Tour
    Nike Vapor Fly 3w+
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW
    Cobra King 52*
    Titleist Vokey 56*
    SeeMore Corona Del Mar X4
  • Jdunn217Jdunn217  81WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 81
    No paint fill looks clean! Just got mine a couple of weeks ago. Loving them so far. Stock with the c tapers but they are still awesome looking!

20160810_201855_zpsabq30yvf.jpg

20160810_201805_zps3iuuuwol.jpg
    Posted:
  • brentbrent  1497WRX Points: 109Members Posts: 1,497 Platinum Tees
    I've got the chrome version. Will try them out today. Heads are tiny. I'm afraid these are going to be too much to handle. If so look for em on the BST tomorrow!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • sociedsocied GameCocks2011 Wilmington NC 1260WRX Points: 127Members Posts: 1,260 Platinum Tees
    JJuel5 wrote:

I so badly want some, but just not in the budget with a wedding less than 2 mos away.

Dude I was in the exact same boat. Oct 15 is mine. How I wiggled into these was something along the lines of "oh yeah sure babe, feel free to get 6-12 dresses for that week. I am sure you will wear all of them. While you're at it. Throw in some shoes to match. Since I will probably just wear clothes that I already have, its cool if I grab a club or two this week?" - Instant yes.
    Posted:
  • jhoppmannjhoppmann  213WRX Points: 15Members Posts: 213 Bunkers
    Saw Global Golf has a mint set of the combos for $750
    Posted:
    PING G400 SFT Alta CB
    TaylorMade M2 3HL - Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757 TS
    Cobra King F6 2/3 Hybrid Tensei CK Blue
    Callaway Rogue Pro Project X LZ 95 6.0
    Callaway MD3 56* & 60*
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
  • branbran  1985WRX Points: 0Handicap: BSTMembers Posts: 1,985
    I grabbed a set of "mint" from global golf last month and ended up paying about $650 after coupon for the 3-PW. They came new in the factory box with shrink wrap on the grips and heads. Playing the stock C Tapers but got rid of the stock grips in favor of some Iomics.

Socied, what did you use to remove the paintfill? I have tried citristrip and acetone but still have some orange residue that doesn't want to go away.
    Posted:
    ???
    ???
    P790 3i
    588CB 4-P
    RTX4 54°/58°
    Scotty Tour Rat in chromatic bronze
    socied wrote:

JJuel5 wrote:

Dude I was in the exact same boat. Oct 15 is mine. How I wiggled into these was something along the lines of "oh yeah sure babe, feel free to get 6-12 dresses for that week. I am sure you will wear all of them. While you're at it. Throw in some shoes to match. Since I will probably just wear clothes that I already have, its cool if I grab a club or two this week?" - Instant yes.

Nice. I will have to see if that works for me. And mine is also Oct 15th.
    Posted:
    Nike Covert 2.0 Tour
    Nike Vapor Fly 3w+
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW
    Cobra King 52*
    Titleist Vokey 56*
  • The GeneralThe General  1775WRX Points: 162Handicap: 2Members Posts: 1,775 Platinum Tees
    working on a new paint job:
    Posted:
    king.jpg 150.9K

Advertisement
  • Big DozerBig Dozer  1022WRX Points: 81Members Posts: 1,022 Platinum Tees
    Knew I shouldn't have read this, now I can't decide between these and the new Ping Iblade. Great work, they all look sweet.
    Posted:
    bran wrote:

I grabbed a set of "mint" from global golf last month and ended up paying about $650 after coupon for the 3-PW. They came new in the factory box with shrink wrap on the grips and heads. Playing the stock C Tapers but got rid of the stock grips in favor of some Iomics.

Socied, what did you use to remove the paintfill? I have tried citristrip and acetone but still have some orange residue that doesn't want to go away.

I used acetone, tooth brush, and an exacto knife. I will say, it was not easy. only did 5. Took probably 2 hours.I was really careful, I didnt want to remove the black
    Posted:
  • BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative  4970WRX Points: 457Handicap: JDMMembers Posts: 4,970 Titanium Tees
    That is probably the best poking combo set out there......sick sticks guys....love them altered from the Orange....
    Posted:
    Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.
    Bigmean wrote:

That is probably the best poking combo set out there......sick sticks guys....love them altered from the Orange....

Trade you mine for those 57s image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Im only kidding. You have me wanting (needing) some from the other thread hahahaha
    Posted:
  • LoveSick666LoveSick666  965WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 965
    Have 2 sets of these in black and they do feel amazing and are not as hard to hit as some may think looking at them. Because im a club ho im not using either set right now. Lol using and playing very well with my PXG's. Definitely keeping my Cobra set with black Fujikura pro graphite shafts but really have no use for the other set with c-tapers. Life of a club ho i guess. Lol
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • TheLetterSeeTheLetterSee  580WRX Points: 25Members Posts: 580 Golden Tee
    I'm playing the full CB set 4-PW with project x 6.5 hardstepped irons. I haven't messed with the paintfill but I can't talk up these irons enough.
    Posted:
    [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Channeling my inner Stenson and using 3 wood off the tee.[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Taylormade M2 Tour 15* - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70 S[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5* - Aldila Rogue Black 85H X
    Cobra King Pro CB 4-PW - Project X 6.5
    Callaway MD3 Black Shamrock LE - 50, 54, 58 - Tour Issue DG S200[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bettinardi Queen B 8 35.25" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord w/ 4 wraps under top hand[/font]
    Just went to Austads to see them in person. They are even better looking in person than I thought. Going to have to go back and hit them. Not sure I am good enough to hit them, but dang can't get them out of my head.
    Posted:
    Nike Covert 2.0 Tour
    Nike Vapor Fly 3w+
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW
    Cobra King 52*
    Titleist Vokey 56*
    JJuel5 wrote:

Just went to Austads to see them in person. They are even better looking in person than I thought. Going to have to go back and hit them. Not sure I am good enough to hit them, but dang can't get them out of my head.

Like a few others have said, they are not hard to hit at all, especially the MBs. I am about a 6 hdcp right now and im not a great ball striker and I can play these just fine. I feel like these are very similar to my old VPC and honestly probably easier to hit. The MBs are for sure easier to hit compared to my full set of Vapor pros.
    Posted:
  • kaaayelllkaaayelll  811WRX Points: 100Members Posts: 811 Golden Tee
    I have these and a bunch of mostly JDM blade sets (Miura BB included) and these are right up there. I haven't had the clubs apart to weigh the heads for consistency, but the clubs came built dead on swing weight.
    Posted:
    Finally was able to get these out on the course. Man they are great. They are a little longer than my Tourstages but I think that has to do with the lofts, which i need to get check anyway. I was hitting my 7 iron about 190 which is about 10 yards further than normal. I was hitting my 6 iron about 195ish and my 8 iron about 170ish, which are both a little longer than normal. The 7 iron is way off. I think the loft is jacked.

Anyway, great clubs in all lies. FW bunker, rough, FW, etc. They are soft and pure. It's only been one round, but I think these will stay in the bag for at least a month until I can make the call if they will beat out my tourstages.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • FredWombleFredWomble  540WRX Points: 109Members Posts: 540 Golden Tee
    The no orange paintfill look is nice. Tempting. Any specific brand you would recommend? Do you just dip a toothbrush in it and "brush" away the paint? I've never done anything like this unless you count using a dremel brush and sandpaper to remove the black PVD from a set of Vapor PC (which turned out great). I'd definitely consider removing the orange but not at the risk of doing any cosmetic damage to the black finish. Worst case I'll do nothing; the King orange is far less bothersome than Nike PVD, IMO.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 9, Fujikura Atmos 6s
    Cobra F8 with Aldila NV Blue 70 S
    Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5
    Nike Ignite 7 Fujikura R 
    Mizuno MP 20 HMB 5-6, MMC 7-9, MP P KBS c-taper lite R
    Scratch 1018 KBS 53 and 56
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60
    Yes! Mollie

• markjincmarkjinc  1900WRX Points: 0Banned Posts: 1,900
    I've been gaming these for about 2 months - I'm still in love with them. X100s in there for me but I've been dying to try some Modus 120s.
    Posted:
  • bluejeeprubibluejeeprubi Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida 1171WRX Points: 168Members Posts: 1,171 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
    G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
    G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
    G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
    20 and 24 ft worth hi
    5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
    60 mack daddy forged
    Nike 006 proto
  • Homerun2BirdieHomerun2Birdie  853WRX Points: 72Members Posts: 853 Golden Tee
    What are people's thoughts on how the black finish has worn now that these have been out for a while?
    Posted:
    - TM

DRIVER: Callaway Rogue SZ 9°– Fujikura ATMOS Black 8x
    3 WOOD: TEE EX9 Tour 13° – Fujikura ATMOS Red 8X
    5 WOOD: Cobra F6 Baffler 16° – Aldila Tour Green 95 X-Stiff
    3 HYBRID: Cobra KING F7 19° – Aldila Tour Green 105 X-Stiff
    IRONS (4-P): Callaway Apex Pro '19 – KBS $-Taper 130 X-Stiff
    WEDGES: Scor 4161 52° + Vokey Low Bounce K 58° – N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 130 X-Stiff
    PUTTER: Evnroll ER2
  • JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar  1897WRX Points: 176Members Posts: 1,897 Platinum Tees
    I'd be interested given some of the Nike Vapor Fly and Mizuno EZs didn't wear well when used consistently.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • pingman33pingman33 titleist33  74WRX Points: 68Members Posts: 74 Bunkers
    I've got the all black cb's 4-gw. Played them all season with lots of range time and they still look almost brand new! One of the best sets I've ever had.
    Posted:
    Bag 1 Bag 2
    Cobra LTD Driver Titleist TS 2 Driver
    Cobra LTD 3-4 wood Titleist Ts 2 fw
    Cobra F6 Baffler Titleist 917 5 wd
    Cobra 3 Utility Titleist TMB 4-gw
    Cobra King Forged CB Black 4-gw Titleist SM7 Black 54m, 58m
    Cobra King Wedges 54,58 Scotty Cameron
    Scotty Cameron
  • PGATourDrivenPGATourDriven  172WRX Points: 0Handicap: 12Members Posts: 172
    I have the older s3 pro combo irons 3-pw left handed with dg300 and gp mc midsize grips and I love them. I was thinking of upgrading but need to justify the upgrade. Is this just an upgraded version or are the s3's just as good as these. Any information is greatly appreciated.
    Posted:
    Taylormade SLDR 430
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron
    Pinhawk SL 4 hybrid
    1 iron golf pro line 5-pw
    Six Bowtie SS red faced 44in
    Pinnacle Gold Ball
    Ping Hoofer Carry Bag
  • TheLetterSeeTheLetterSee  580WRX Points: 25Members Posts: 580 Golden Tee
    I've had the Black CB's since February and they still look as good as the day I bought them. This finish is the real deal. I have black PVD wedges and those have obviously worn down and started wearing right away. If I cleaned these up, I don't think you could tell if these were almost a year old or a week old. The finish is amazing.

Edit: I played college golf and had practice either on the course or range everyday plus whatever meets we played and these still look brand new. Whatever this finish is, they should keep it to themselves and let the other companies continue to use PVD.
    Posted:
    [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Channeling my inner Stenson and using 3 wood off the tee.[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Taylormade M2 Tour 15* - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70 S[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5* - Aldila Rogue Black 85H X
    Cobra King Pro CB 4-PW - Project X 6.5
    Callaway MD3 Black Shamrock LE - 50, 54, 58 - Tour Issue DG S200[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bettinardi Queen B 8 35.25" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord w/ 4 wraps under top hand[/font]

Advertisement
  • Homerun2BirdieHomerun2Birdie  853WRX Points: 72Members Posts: 853 Golden Tee

I've had the Black CB's since February and they still look as good as the day I bought them. This finish is the real deal. I have black PVD wedges and those have obviously worn down and started wearing right away. If I cleaned these up, I don't think you could tell if these were almost a year old or a week old. The finish is amazing.

Edit: I played college golf and had practice either on the course or range everyday plus whatever meets we played and these still look brand new. Whatever this finish is, they should keep it to themselves and let the other companies continue to use PVD.

That is super impressive. I love everything about these clubs after hitting them the other day... I will be buying them, and you may have just convinced me to go with the black.
    Posted:
    - TM

DRIVER: Callaway Rogue SZ 9°– Fujikura ATMOS Black 8x
    3 WOOD: TEE EX9 Tour 13° – Fujikura ATMOS Red 8X
    5 WOOD: Cobra F6 Baffler 16° – Aldila Tour Green 95 X-Stiff
    3 HYBRID: Cobra KING F7 19° – Aldila Tour Green 105 X-Stiff
    IRONS (4-P): Callaway Apex Pro '19 – KBS $-Taper 130 X-Stiff
    WEDGES: Scor 4161 52° + Vokey Low Bounce K 58° – N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 130 X-Stiff
    PUTTER: Evnroll ER2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.