2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Favorite old timer

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge fan of the triumvirate of Hogan, Nelson, Snead. Not sure who compares to them of the modern players. It almost seems impossible to compare as the eras are so different...

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Seve - as a bit of a scrambler myself, I appreciated his creative shotmaking and passion for competition.

Though I do always have a soft spot for Lee Trevino - putting on his shoes in his car so he doesn't need to go in the Augusta clubhouse? Classic.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

As far as who I pulled for it was Seve Trevino and of course Nicklaus--- Now I also pulled for Billy Casper because he and my old man were friends.

I have honestly wondered many times how great those guys would stack up in their prime with modern equipment. LOL in his prime Seve could have figured out a way to score good playing 1880s hickories and a feather ball and probably Trevino too

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

That's a tough question. I'm drawn more to the personalities rather than their prowess which I'm not trying to downplay. Off the top of my head I would be torn between Moe Norman and Lee Trevino. Both great ball strikers, unique personalities, but most of all entertainers in their own way. I suppose if "entertainer" is my primary yardstick then based on what I've read the choice would have to be Ted Ray.

I don't think any of these fellows compare directly to anyone in the present day game which seems to have become very bland what with the way in which both their games and personas are managed. It's a bit like flavour of the month club and they're really all just another version of the same thing.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Always was drawn to those that had a bit of an edge to them. Not the typical raised at a country club type. Trevino, of course. Remember watching "Champagne" Tony Lema, way back in the day, win a Buick Open just before his demise. He had swagger. Charlie Sifford and Lee Elder for what they represented at the time. Forced to be included in a very exclusionary sport. Seve, mad skills. The "King" absolutely must be included, he popularized golf for the masses. Raymond Floyd had a way about him that I liked. Darren Clarke, liked how he golfed, seemed like a guy that you could thrown down a pint with afterwards.

Just off the top of my head.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I have honestly wondered many times how great those guys would stack up in their prime with modern equipment. LOL in his prime Seve could have figured out a way to score good playing 1880s hickories and a feather ball and probably Trevino too

Nicklaus and Snead would be hitting it absolute miles with today's equipment an ball.

Seve, the man was just a golfing genius! Loved watching Sandy Lyle hit a ball, best ball stricker I've ever seen. And for me faldo and Tom Watson were 2 old time greats who I just admire so much. For me all mentioned and others all had character....from Trevino to seve, and for me that's missing out of the modern game! Hoping speith, Rory and day rekindle that old magic

Byron Nelson was asked basically the same question, he got a twinkle in his eye and said "I'd hold my own." Personally, I think Hogan, Nelson, Snead, DeMaret, Palmer, Nicklaus and most of the top tier players would more than hold their own. Remember, they were scoring in the low 60's on greens today's pros wouldn't play on and fairways which were slower than the rough at Augusta. All of this while trying to find the three out a dozen round balls, and playing with "furniture" as Eidolon is fond of calling persimmon. Given today's balls and shafts along with the modern driver, I don't think it would be a contest. The old guys would more than "Hold their own."

You know It's funny. I either heard or read a comment stating that today's best players would boat run a field of yesterday's best due to the superiority not only of the equipment but also of the training regimens and other technological advances that have resulted in marginal gains. I think it all comes down to what era you grew up with and the impression those individuals made on you that creates our various biases.

We of an older generation think that our contemporaries would be more than competitive in the modern game while our kids and grand kids are convinced the modern player would reign supreme against all comers. Most likely the truth lies somewhere in the middle and that a great player is still a great player regardless of era.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I'm always surprised by todays generation, almost by default, assuming that players of yester year are not as good as todays player.

Golf is a sport that is equipment biased-seems pretty simple to me that if you put todays shafts balls etc in Nicklaus', Hogan or Snead's

hands they would be able to compete.

Now the NBA for example is a whole different ball game. The great Bob Cousy said himself he could not compete with todays athlete.

Same can be said for a George Mikan or a Tommy Heinson for example. Just no way that era of players could compete today.

NHL same deal-just not big enough, strong enough, fast enough (sure you can make a rare argument for a Wilt Chamberlain or a Bobby Orr).

But golf, all things being equal, would be a sport where players from the past could easily compete with todays players.

I think Nicklaus, Hogan, Snead, Trevino and Nelson would do very well. Their mental toughness and desire to compete are 2nd to none,

something I think a few of todays so called "superstars" are missing from a other wise world class set of skills...

just my two cents

Agree fully with the last several posts. Yesteryear's players would compete very well in the modern game. They all had a "their" swing, high level of determination and competitiveness. Does anyone think that Nicklaus was any less competitive than TW? They would play modern equipment every bit as well, if not better than today's players.

What may be different today vs. historically is the about of money involved and its influence. While the classic golfers made a very comfortable living playing professional golf, it does not approach the level of today's total purses and endorsement deals. Its natural that the amount of money these guys make today, may breed some degree of complacency. When your making millions, win or lose, hard for me to imagine the same level of motivation would be maintained.

Which brings to mind a great Trevino story (IIRC). When asked how he handled the pressure of playing professional golf. His response (probably paraphrasing) ........ "Pressure? Nah. Pressure is playing a $10 Nassau when you've only got $5 in your pocket".

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I'm always surprised by todays generation, almost by default, assuming that players of yester year are not as good as todays player.

Golf is a sport that is equipment biased-seems pretty simple to me that if you put todays shafts balls etc in Nicklaus', Hogan or Snead's

hands they would be able to compete.

Now the NBA for example is a whole different ball game. The great Bob Cousy said himself he could not compete with todays athlete.

Same can be said for a George Mikan or a Tommy Heinson for example. Just no way that era of players could compete today.

NHL same deal-just not big enough, strong enough, fast enough (sure you can make a rare argument for a Wilt Chamberlain or a Bobby Orr).

But golf, all things being equal, would be a sport where players from the past could easily compete with todays players.

I think Nicklaus, Hogan, Snead, Trevino and Nelson would do very well. Their mental toughness and desire to compete are 2nd to none,

something I think a few of todays so called "superstars" are missing from a other wise world class set of skills...

just my two cents

I think fitness is the modern era is very important now in any sport. I remember a great footy player from the 70s being asked the same question.....how would you do against the present great man utd team? He basically said it would be very tight for 70 minutes.....then us 70s players would get mullered in the last 20, because the modern footy players are miles fitter and are basically finely tuned athletes! Same in some sense can be said for the modern golfers

I think today's game is deeper than it was back in the day. I think the top players of yesteryear would do really well, but the bottom tier of the pgatour from 30 years ago wouldn't.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

I think the fitness issue is moot in golf, they still walk 18 holes, have caddies carry bags, if anything, they have it easier today...they fly across the country in hours not drive across in days, have first class accommodations not staying in the least expensive hotels they can find close to the course, courtesy cars instead of driving their personal vehicles with all of the maintenance concerns, are coddled at every turn not refused entry to some country clubs. As far as equipment goes, there were no tour vans, if you needed new equipment you went to the factory, hoping to find a driver you could hit and when you did you protected it as if it were one of your kids, if your equipment needed adjustment or repair, you did it yourself. The conditions in which the greats played were horrendous compared to what today's pro's play in. Yet, Byron Nelson's scoring average from 1945 is second all time...and stood for 55 years! Think about that for a second...(and the field being deeper is not a valid argument when considering score against par...par is a static number for each golf course, it cares not who is playing.)

I think the fitness issue is moot in golf, they still walk 18 holes, have caddies carry bags, if anything, they have it easier today...they fly across the country in hours not drive across in days, have first class accommodations not staying in the least expensive hotels they can find close to the course, courtesy cars instead of driving their personal vehicles with all of the maintenance concerns, are coddled at every turn not refused entry to some country clubs. As far as equipment goes, there were no tour vans, if you needed new equipment you went to the factory, hoping to find a driver you could hit and when you did you protected it as if it were one of your kids, if your equipment needed adjustment or repair, you did it yourself. The conditions in which the greats played were horrendous compared to what today's pro's play in. Yet, Byron Nelson's scoring average from 1945 is second all time...and stood for 55 years! Think about that for a second...(and the field being deeper is not a valid argument when considering score against par...par is a static number for each golf course, it cares not who is playing.)

Emmm very good points, especially on the travelling aspect

How about the great amateurs? Bobby Jones, Francis Ouimet, Harvey Ward come to mind.

Hard to think of any great modern players who don't want to turn pro.

Probably the last amateur in that catagory I knew of was Billy Joe Patton from Morganton NC--- One of the last ones but he turned pro on the Champion's Tour after he retired was Mike Goodes he had a stellar career in Carolina's Amateur play--- These days there is too much money out there if one has the raw talent not to turn Pro as soon as possible--- Look on the LPGA Tour those young ladies are turning pro as young as 16

Always was drawn to those that had a bit of an edge to them. Not the typical raised at a country club type. Trevino, of course. Remember watching "Champagne" Tony Lema, way back in the day, win a Buick Open just before his demise. He had swagger. Charlie Sifford and Lee Elder for what they represented at the time. Forced to be included in a very exclusionary sport. Seve, mad skills. The "King" absolutely must be included, he popularized golf for the masses. Raymond Floyd had a way about him that I liked. Darren Clarke, liked how he golfed, seemed like a guy that you could thrown down a pint with afterwards.

Just off the top of my head.

Charlie Sifford was from my hometown of Charlotte NC. I can remember him playing with the hustlers at my Dad's course along with some of the other African American golfers. Man oh man I can still hear him hitting that old macgregor persimmon driver sounded like a .22 bullet going off even with a balata ball. Calvin Peete Good Lord! was the straightest driver of the ball I ever saw !! Man you brought back great memories of growing up in the 60s and 70s in Charlotte. When the GC did that show called Uneven Fairways a few years back I knew half of the guys on there personally from the old days and saw them play when I was a kid

How about the great amateurs? Bobby Jones, Francis Ouimet, Harvey Ward come to mind.

Probably the last amateur in that catagory I knew of was Billy Joe Patton from Morganton NC--- One of the last ones but he turned pro on the Champion's Tour after he retired was Mike Goodes he had a stellar career in Carolina's Amateur play--- These days there is too much money out there if one has the raw talent not to turn Pro as soon as possible--- Look on the LPGA Tour those young ladies are turning pro as young as 16

Johnny Goodman awesome am, US am champ, Won US open. Came out of nothing.

Johnny Goodman awesome am, US am champ, Won US open. Came out of nothing.

There's a great bio of Goodman King of Swings, worked in the stock yards, and beat Jones at Pebble in the US Am (29?). Then wins both US AM and US Open. There's also a great story of BJ Patton entering Augusta national his very first time to play in the Masters. And what's the first thing he sees--- The Slammer himself in the back of a Caddy with a gal- from the American Triumvirate, a great book about Snead, Hogan and Nelson.

Don January for a huge amount of consistency. My friends father had gone to school with his wife and him at N Texas State or whatever it was called then.

Vardon Trophy in the late 70s when he must've been 50 or close to it.

He never won a lot or a ton of money but he was always hanging around the top.