Bucket hats

Comments

• bellkenbellken Members Posts: 771 ✭✭
    MRL1984 wrote:

Living in AZ I wear buckets in the summer time, spent a couple hours on the practice facilities the last two days and went full sunscreen and bucket hat. The two I have from Ping could use a bit more coverage in the back as my neck got a bit more sun than I liked.

Thinking I will make the leap to the Titleist Aussie hat at some point this summer.

I found a 2017 Titleist Aussie on sale, and, it is what I will be wearing for sunny weather. I do think it is a bit on the smaller side for an L/XL.
  • cjaxuncjaxun Members Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Absolutely love bucket hats. Current trend has the bill to wide for me but I still have at least 5 old ones that do the trick for me
  • Ray JacksonRay Jackson Members Posts: 1,068 ✭✭
    Augster wrote:

I'd wear the bucket every time out if they weren't so dang hot compared to a visor.

The only bucket I use in the rotation is my Columbia bucket. All the other offerings I've tried trap too much heat in. Maybe I'm just too used to wearing visors for 20 years, but I do need to start protecting the back of my neck and the tops of my ears.

They are just so hot.

I just picked up one from the Masters as I too am a visor wearer (the old school ones) and was worried about my ears and neck. Agree they are hot and I got some ribbing by my buddies but heck I don't care.
  • knockdownnineknockdownnine Banned Posts: 83
    Most of he bucket hats are a bit small but have a few bigger ones that make the rounds with me
  • IvyguyIvyguy Members Posts: 1,408 ✭✭
    Just got a Titleist Aussie hat. Its spectacular!

I have big ears and they are always burnt at the end of the round. NO LONGER!!!!

I stayed nice and cool, with a bonus! When in a cart (it was a scramble) the wind actually runs down your neck.

I'm sold. I'm gonna start collecting these.
  • MRL1984MRL1984 Members Posts: 234 ✭✭
    Got this year's Titleist Aussie hat. Like it a lot from the couple practice sessions and rounds I've got in since. It has a solid less floppy brim to it which I like. Played in the strong wind Friday and it was a sail so I ended up in my ball cap but that's the only complaint.
  • wfwpwfwp ClubWRX Posts: 466 ClubWRX
    edited May 28, 2018 #68
    Outdoor Research, Patagonia, and Columbia make great bucket hats with upf protection, breathable and water resistant.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • MoshjeanMoshjean Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    It’s sunny 10 months out of the year where I live, I’m all in on the bucket hats.

Comfortable, no sun burn, and helps keep cool when it’s hot out.

As a bonus, my wifey loves them because she says I look hideous and no girls are going to be checking me out. I beg to differ
    Life is good
  • terminalvertigoterminalvertigo baby got backroll Members Posts: 180 ✭✭
    How is the sizing on the 2018 titleist aussie hats compared to say, their fitted baseball cap options?

I have a titleist hat in almost every possible size that fits well (s/m, m/l, l/xl) so no help there..

I want to order some online, but don't know what size to buy!

I tried on their staydry bucket, and the S/M fit well.

Cheers!
    917 D2, 9.5* - Tour AD DI-6S
    816 H1, 21* - Tour AD DI-85X 
    718 AP1 4-PW True Temper AMT Red
    Vokey SM6 Raw. (48,52,56,60) KBS Tour Limited Edition
    Handstamped Tour Newport 1.5
    Pro V1
    Hoofer
  • Lion YogiLion Yogi Members Posts: 1
    I am using the Dorfman Pacific Boonie (MC288) with UPF50+ protection.

http://www.dorfman-pacific.com/flipbooks/CATMSS17.php#features/65

They are perfect for golf! Go to the link and check them out. I bought from GlobalGolf but sold out now. Highly recommended.
  • chris975dchris975d GeorgiaClubWRX Posts: 1,894 ClubWRX
    edited May 24, 2018 #72
    Best sun hats I've found for golf (and anything else, for that matter) are by Shelta.

www.sheltahats.com

Unique stiff front brim insert means they never flap or fold down in your face in a wind. Water repellant, light weight fabric, and a unique multi-use chin cord. And they have models with various brim widths. The thinner brims still cover your ears, but stay out of the way in a golf swing (or paddling, fishing, etc).

I have bought 2 (Osprey and Seahawk), and love them so much I'm thinking about bringing them into my proshop to sell, as well as issue them to my staff. They've made me retire my Tilleys to the closet.
    TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • titleist_christitleist_chris Members Posts: 63
    Sorry, not really a fan as bucket hats do not look like you are taking the game seriously. I see Fowler getting away from them in the next few years.
  • Jack DanielsJack Daniels Members Posts: 120 ✭✭

Sorry, not really a fan as bucket hats do not look like you are taking the game seriously. I see Fowler getting away from them in the next few years.

that's a pretty silly opinion
  • therevtherev Members Posts: 355 ✭✭
    I'm planning on getting one next week at the Memorial Tournament in Dublin, OH. They have some really neat ones the past few years.
  • JimmypennstateJimmypennstate Members Posts: 43
    chris975d wrote:

Best sun hats I've found for golf (and anything else, for that matter) are by Shelta.

www.sheltahats.com

Unique stiff front brim insert means they never flap or fold down in your face in a wind. Water repellant, light weight fabric, and a unique multi-use chin cord. And they have models with various brim widths. The thinner brims still cover your ears, but stay out of the way in a golf swing (or paddling, fishing, etc).

I have bought 2 (Osprey and Seahawk), and love them so much I'm thinking about bringing them into my proshop to sell, as well as issue them to my staff. They've made me retire my Tilleys to the closet.

+10000
  • MurvMurv Members Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Cheap ventilated straw hats that allow the breeze through are the way to go. I get mine at a local farm supply store. You have to be picky as to the style you select so you don't look too dorky. But with some checking around you can get them for about $10. The canvas or cotton buckets make my head sweat something fierce.

Murv
  • CELTICCELTIC Members Posts: 244 ✭✭

Did you seriously just say that?????

Maybe we take skin cancer seriously.
    Driver - TaylorMade M2
    3 Wood - Mizuno JPX
    Irons 4 - PW - Calloway Apex CF16
    48, 52, 56, 58 Vokey. 10,12,14,12
    Putter - Odyssey O-works 7s
  • payerasjlpayerasjl Members Posts: 724 ✭✭
    Got 2 in my locker room at my club and one in my car.

No matter how hard i try to put sunscreen on my ears, everytime i wear hats they end up burnt to a crisp. Bucket hats > ear cancer
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying
  • titleist_christitleist_chris Members Posts: 63

Well then why don't you see them on more tour players?
  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,769 ✭✭

They're immortal . . . until the dermatologist starts whacking bits off their ears and faces and necks.
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • Jack DanielsJack Daniels Members Posts: 120 ✭✭

If you think that a bucket hat reflects on how serious you take the game, or that you need to mimic tour players as an 8 handicap.....well maybe you should take the game a little less "serious."
  • halliedoghalliedog Members Posts: 2,296 ✭✭
    highdraw69 wrote:

here is some encouragement for a bucket hat and lots of sunscreen....

Not trying to be a ****, but that incision from your forehead down to almost your eyebrow looks like you never wore any kind of protection? A baseball hat with a moderate bill would've shaded you in that area. I understand the guys getting things frozen off their ears/back of their necks believing these hats are life-savers, but looks like you never even tried?

I've been EXTREMELY lucky so far. I smoke, drink more than I should, eat whatever I want and somehow have low cholesterol, and have never used sun-screen, and so far as I know from my last physical am pretty "healthy" other than some bad knees.

How exactly did you get that, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe some people are more susceptible, and I'm playing with fire? Congrats on going through that and sticking with it!
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • dxdgenertdxdgenert Dirtiest player in the game MinnesotaMembers Posts: 1,532 ✭✭
    PING G400 MAX w/ Alta CB
    Cobra KING F7 fairway w/ Fujikura Pro 65
    Cobra KING F7 hybrid w/ Fujikura Pro 75H
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Utility 4 Iron
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 5-GW
    Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP Blue Tour Grind 56* and 60*
    One of several milled putters
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,782 ✭✭
    edited Jun 5, 2018 #85
    FYI, I've found Under Armour Armourvent buckets relatively cheap ($12) at Marshall's recently. I've seen black, white, camo, navy, blue, and tan (bought all except the camo).
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~  JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~  SeeMore FGP2
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ SeeMore FGP2 ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • toprtopr Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭
    I'm a fan of full brim hats but for me a bucket doesn't have a big enough brim for good shade. and to floppy. I have one thats nylon and vented and the brim has wire (or something) stiched in that keeps it stiff and shapable from a company called Sunday Afternoon. Maybe not the most stylish but it's a fantastic Summer hat.

https://www.sundayafternoons.com/p/compass-hat/
  • ValentValent Secret Asian Man Bangkok, ThailandMembers Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Lion Yogi wrote:

I am using the Dorfman Pacific Boonie (MC288) with UPF50+ protection.

http://www.dorfman-pacific.com/flipbooks/CATMSS17.php#features/65

They are perfect for golf! Go to the link and check them out. I bought from GlobalGolf but sold out now. Highly recommended.

I've got two of these Dorfman Pacific Safari Hats that I use regularly for the last 20 years now. It would be nuts to go out in the blazing tropic sun over here with just a ball cap.

I've never had a problem swinging while wearing the hat? Wasn't one of the hallmarks of a decent swing keeping ones head rock steady?

Used to not like sunscreen myself, but got over that a few years ago. Better to be able to stick around and play more golf rather than getting pieces cut off here and there.

-VS
        TRAVEL SET
    Driver - TaylorMade 2009 Burner TP 8.5° | Alidila Rogue 125 MSI Tour I/O 60 X Flex
    3-Wood - TaylorMade 2007 Burner TP 14.5° | Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73X X Flex
    2-9 Irons - Mizuno MP-60 Cut Muscle | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
    Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 50°/08F, 56°/14F, 60°/10S | Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
    Putter - TaylorMade Rossa AGSI+ Daytona 6 | Golf Pride Tour SNSR Taper 104CC Grip
    Balls - Titleist Pro V1x

HOME SET
    Driver - TaylorMade Tour Burner TP 8.5° | Aldila VS Proto 60 X Flex
    3-Wood - TaylorMade Tour Burner TP 14.5° | Aldila VS Proto 70 X Flex
    2-9 Irons - TaylorMade rac Forged TP | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
    Wedges - TaylorMade EF TP 50°/09, 56°/15, 60°/10 | KBS Tour Wedge Flex
    Putter - TaylorMade Spider Blade 32 | Golf Pride Tour SNSR Taper 104CC Grip
    Balls - TaylorMade TP5x

Grips - Golf Pride MCC | Black/Grey Plus4 ALIGN Midsize

1-Iron Option - Mizuno T-Zoid Sure 16° | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
    Putter Option - TaylorMade Rossa CGB Modena 8 | Golf Pride Tour SNSR Taper 104CC Grip
    Balls Option - Bridgestone Tour B X
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,031 ✭✭
    caniac6 wrote:

I prefer the ball cap style, but wear an Imperial bucket when I play.
    Spalding wore those hats too. I love em!!
  • HillbillyInBCHillbillyInBC Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    DannyG wrote:

I have a really big head (7-3/4) and most hats have X/XL as their largest size. XL in most cases is 7-5/8 which doesn't sound like much of a difference but a tight hat is really uncomfortable. The only bucket hat I can find in XXL is this one; https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone know of other XXL bucket hats? Has anyone had any luck stretching hats to fit?

Tilley hats are true-to-size. I'm also a 7-3/4 and my Tilley fits perfectly.
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 941 ✭✭
    Skin cancer does not necessarily pop up where you have had UV exposure. It can pop up literally in regions of your body where the sun don't shine.