Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone give a review on these? I've seen demo 6irons and they are the best looking GI irons I've ever seen. Low off set, compact head the finish is beautiful and stock Modus 105 shaft. I know they don't release until 15 or 16th but usually somebody gets their hands on a set early.

They're easy on the eyes for sure. The only GI iron I'd say looks better is the z565.

Been hitting the 6 iron quite a bit. Would love to see the 8, PW, even the sw and lw. Was sure I was going 900 Forged, but these are really nice. Not huge either. Smitten so far

Wedges look very good. Similar to the shape and size of Cleveland Rtx CB

This is good news! I am reading that there is a S5 influence on the wedges, which wouldn't be all bad either. Thanks for the info

Can anyone give a review on these? I've seen demo 6irons and they are the best looking GI irons I've ever seen. Low off set, compact head the finish is beautiful and stock Modus 105 shaft. I know they don't release until 15 or 16th but usually somebody gets their hands on a set early.

They're easy on the eyes for sure. The only GI iron I'd say looks better is the z565.

Have you seen the 565 in stores yet?

Have you seen the 565 in stores yet?

No, just pictures--I'm assuming they're the same size as the 545s. I think the "official release" is 9/16?

Tried out the 900 hot metal 6 iron against the 850 6 iron and my Taylormade RAC 6 iron today at Uinta golf. The 900 was shafted with the stock Nippon, the 850 was a used set and had upgraded kbs tour shafts, my RAC irons are shafted with true temper r300.

Distance wise the 900 were on average 4-6 yards longer the 850 and 7-10 yards longer compared to my RAC iron. But that's just me.

Feel wise the 900 feels much better then both 850 and RAC. Almost want to say forged like feel on center hits. 850 was some what clicky for me, and my RAC irons are very clicky to me.

Mis hits on the 900 not only felt better but was more forgiving then both 850 and RAC.

Not much of a review I know. But I only had 45 minutes to kill and I was on my break. Most of my time was spent hitting the hot metal.

If I wanted to spend the money on new irons. The hot metal is what I would definitely get.

Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

I just wanted to weigh in on this thread. These may be the best looking GI irons at this time, or for a long time for that matter in my opinion. I have not seen them in person, and I know you definitely just can't go by internet pictures, but from what I have read from different sources. It appears that the overall shape top to bottom is "slimmed" down a bit, which I think will appeal to many players. I really like that Mizuno has made an entire set, meaning 4-LW. Maybe it's just me, but I miss the good old days when iron sets came 2 or 3 iron through the sand wedge. I just like having it all the same and not have to think or worry about it. Sometimes it is hard, at least to me, to get the right set up past the PW, and also at the very top of the bag somewhat. Wanted to point out also that Mizuno's chrome molly material is not a first, currently Bridgestone's J15 cast irons are made from a proprietary chrome molly steel as well which were released well more than a year ago.

Just sayin...

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| UST Mamiya Recoil ES SW 780 F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

I agree that these are awesome looking for a GI set. I took side by side pics vs JPX 850, 716, AP1, G, and 900 Forged. Blade length is shorter than the 850, AP1, and G and less offset than those as well. Topline is a smidge larger but the head is more compact and less offset. Definitely not bad to look at!

Those look like my kind of clubs! Correct me if I'm wrong but they seem to be full on GI size but with less offset than something like the Ping G. Me likey! Sort of like the new Callaway Steelhead XR? Taylormade M2 Tour?

I'm playing the Bridgestone J15 Cast and they are pretty decent looking for GI clubs. I think they are cast from the same "chromoly" material as these Mizuno's. The J15C's are kind of clicky if you use a hard ball but the feel is good. At any rate, I'm going to check out these new Mizuno's.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Those look like my kind of clubs! Correct me if I'm wrong but they seem to be full on GI size but with less offset than something like the Ping G. Me likey! Sort of like the new Callaway Steelhead XR? Taylormade M2 Tour?

I'm playing the Bridgestone J15 Cast and they are pretty decent looking for GI clubs. I think they are cast from the same "chromoly" material as these Mizuno's. The J15C's are kind of clicky if you use a hard ball but the feel is good. At any rate, I'm going to check out these new Mizuno's.

They are right up my alley too. They felt very soft to me hitting crappy store balls but I only tested with Nippon shafts so could have been that.

I just wanted to weigh in on this thread. These may be the best looking GI irons at this time, or for a long time for that matter in my opinion. I have not seen them in person, and I know you definitely just can't go by internet pictures, but from what I have read from different sources. It appears that the overall shape top to bottom is "slimmed" down a bit, which I think will appeal to many players. I really like that Mizuno has made an entire set, meaning 4-LW. Maybe it's just me, but I miss the good old days when iron sets came 2 or 3 iron through the sand wedge. I just like having it all the same and not have to think or worry about it. Sometimes it is hard, at least to me, to get the right set up past the PW, and also at the very top of the bag somewhat. Wanted to point out also that Mizuno's chrome molly material is not a first, currently Bridgestone's J15 cast irons are made from a proprietary chrome molly steel as well which were released well more than a year ago. Just sayin...

My thinking too. I have gamed Steelhead X-14s 3-SW with firm graphite shafts for years and looking for a change. I was looking at and was fitted for the JPX 850 forged (didn't like the look of the 850) but held on when the shop told me the new 900 was on the way... now waiting for them to get their fitting sets to try them. I have just seen the new 900s... and they look really good... especially surprised the HM looked so good apart from the chunky back on the 4i... so can't wait to try them.

Has anyone seen the 900 HM AW, SW, LW or any review/pics of them?

Sweet Jeebus! The 900 HM looks like a letter opener when it's placed next to the Ping G iron.

I'm a Mizuno lover and a purist when it comes to their clubs, but I would have ZERO problems putting any of their new irons into my bag.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Can anyone that has hit 900 Tour, Forged, and HM comment on all three?

What do you want to know? They are all pretty sweet in their own way. For what it's worth, I was thinking I am for sure going with the Forged when it got released. After hitting them once, I thought I would build a blended set. After hitting them twice I thought I would just throw some Hot Metal at the top end and blend the forged with them, now I don't thing there is any blending that will happen. Probably just going straight Hot Metal. Might even take them all the way through the wedges as well and be done with them. Fact is I am not that good at golf and can use all the help I can get, these look great, are cheaper and I can't really see any downside? The only possible downside might be the occasional extra yards that would pop up in the lower short yardage situations? Too much distance with a GW for example? But the Forged are pretty "hot" as far as distance is concerned as well, so in the end it's probably just operator error. If and when I ever get better it might be more important, but for now, the Hot Metal seems to be the winner.

We have had a chance to hit all three 6I heads with a Project X 6.0 shaft. We don't have the loft specs right now for these three heads so please know that while reading this. The player hitting all of them was a low single digit player, and has a pretty grooved swing. Took an average of approx. 6 shots with each. HM was the most forgiving is ave distance across all shots, followed by the forged, and then the tour. No surprise here. Dispersion in distance on the HM was 2-3 carry yards, in the forged was 4-7 yards, and tour was 9-11 yards. I don't have the dispersion #'s left to right. In terms of total distance the HM and the forged were very similar - my guess is that the lofts on both are quite close or the same. The tour was shorter, but we think this was due more to it being slightly higher lofted, but again we did not have the stated lofts on these so it is just our opinion.

In our opinion, the HM could be gamed by any level of player. Hit nice high shots, better than average 6I distances compared to other Mizuno's (similar to the new Steelhead XR, M2's, Cobra F6, etc) taking into account this was a 6I and the fitting carts on the other heads are 7I's. The forged would be for low to mid teen handicap for two reasons - it did lose a little bit of distance on off center hits compared to the HM, but very minor. Another factor is cost of the forged vs. the HM. That being said, the forged definitely wins for it's looks. Stunning design in the matte finish. We coupled with a CTaper just to see what it looked like visually and it was very pretty.

The tour does what it should in our opinion - for the better player wanting to work the ball, not focused on the # on the bottom of the club for distances, and has the GREAT Mizuno forged feel. Would just recommend this head for someone that can hit the center of the face consistently.

Hope this helps - we were very impressed with the HM and the 900 Forged.

Ping G430 w/ Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 5-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

Check out this video

Thanks for the link. I am trying to decide between the HM and forged. As stated above, the HM is probably the best looking cast GI club made at the moment. And it has a cup face! Really easy on the eyes.

Why not a combo set since they are the same lofts?

Check out this video

Thanks for the link. I am trying to decide between the HM and forged. As stated above, the HM is probably the best looking cast GI club made at the moment. And it has a cup face! Really easy on the eyes.

Why not a combo set since they are the same lofts?

I am only going 5 iron down so will probably go with a full set of one or the other.

Wow, these 900 are seriously good looking, can't wait to try them.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

We have had a chance to hit all three 6I heads with a Project X 6.0 shaft. We don't have the loft specs right now for these three heads so please know that while reading this. The player hitting all of them was a low single digit player, and has a pretty grooved swing. Took an average of approx. 6 shots with each. HM was the most forgiving is ave distance across all shots, followed by the forged, and then the tour. No surprise here. Dispersion in distance on the HM was 2-3 carry yards, in the forged was 4-7 yards, and tour was 9-11 yards. I don't have the dispersion #'s left to right. In terms of total distance the HM and the forged were very similar - my guess is that the lofts on both are quite close or the same. The tour was shorter, but we think this was due more to it being slightly higher lofted, but again we did not have the stated lofts on these so it is just our opinion.

In our opinion, the HM could be gamed by any level of player. Hit nice high shots, better than average 6I distances compared to other Mizuno's (similar to the new Steelhead XR, M2's, Cobra F6, etc) taking into account this was a 6I and the fitting carts on the other heads are 7I's. The forged would be for low to mid teen handicap for two reasons - it did lose a little bit of distance on off center hits compared to the HM, but very minor. Another factor is cost of the forged vs. the HM. That being said, the forged definitely wins for it's looks. Stunning design in the matte finish. We coupled with a CTaper just to see what it looked like visually and it was very pretty.

The tour does what it should in our opinion - for the better player wanting to work the ball, not focused on the # on the bottom of the club for distances, and has the GREAT Mizuno forged feel. Would just recommend this head for someone that can hit the center of the face consistently.

Hope this helps - we were very impressed with the HM and the 900 Forged.

Thanks for that review and great info.

How were your spin numbers in these irons. So far YouTube reviews are showing the forged with the lowest spin.

The standard shaft for the HM is the Nippon Modus3 105, which is (from what I've been able to read), a great shaft and excellent choice for these irons. They sell for $37, so its not a cheapie like so many oem shafts for GI irons. and there are so many other shafts offered by Mizuno at no upcharge. I'm looking forward to reading forum reviews of the hm/modus pairing.

In regards to the spin number request - unfortunately I did not write them down and cant remember them right now. Will try and get #'s for the HM and Forged with the Modus this weekend.

Ping G430 w/ Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Cleveland CBX 2 48*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

Update on the demo we did a few days ago and requested info from a previous poster. Tested the HM against the forged (did not do the tour as this head has been discussed quite a bit in other threads).

First up was the 6I hot metal with the modus 120 stiff.

84 Mph club head

115 ball speed

20.6 * launch

6652 spin

160.4 carry

47-52* landing angle

109' height

Next 6I forged with same shaft

85 club head

117 ball speed

19.4* launch

6332 spin

164.4 carry

47-51 land angle

105 height

Also I have seen a few requests for info on project X LZ so same player with 900 forged and 6.0 shaft

85 club head

116.8 ball speed

19.5 launch

6280 spin

164.5 carry

105 height

Averages were based upon 8shots with each club. Any shot widely outside the averages were not counted. Data from trackman on an indoor session. Golfer is a mid 50's player with handicap in the 6-7 range. Overall impressions were positive for both heads.

If anyone has questions please let me know.

Ping G430 w/ Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Cleveland CBX 2 48*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels