Bags with 4-way or 14-way dividers?

Comments

• ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy SoDakClubWRX Posts: 1,439 ClubWRX
    manku wrote:

Been looking for a bag for a while now...pulled the trigger yesterday...Hoofer 14.

Took it home, started transferring clubs...within 15 minutes, I took them back out, and returned the bag.

I can't believe people like these 14 way dividers (maybe in an upright cart bag?)...every time I went to pull out or push in a club, it got stuck...total pita. Plus, the club next to the padding/rainhood slot always got jammed.

Ended up getting a 2017 Taylormade FlexTech in red with white details...$109.99 plus tax....

Will write review later this summer after a few rounds.

Thanks everyone.

I'm convinced for stand bags, the Ogio Woode top system is the best.

I too have tried going to a 14-way but have just never found one I like the setup of. It seems like there is never a good place for the putter if you have a larger/mallet type putter. it's always somewhere that it's going to hang and hit into other clubs. I don't know why they don't do a separate putter well on stand bags - the Ogio Woode top is as close as I've seen to a separate putter well.

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,031 ✭✭
    jah7838 wrote:

I prefer a stand bag with 14 slots. Golf is one of the few things I'm OCD about. It makes it easier to keep track of clubs for me. I bought a Sun Mountain 4-5 14 way bag earlier today. I thought about the Titleist 14 way, but the lack of full length dividers was a deal breaker for me.

I had to replace my Nike Air Hybrid that's 2 years old. One of the seams that the straps is sewn into tore recently. Very disappointed. Really liked the Nike and I'm pretty upset about it messing up, but I know the Sun Mountain is a great bag.
    my titlleist 14 way bag has full dividers
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    I prefer 7 but that isn't a poll option. Putter. Driver. 3 wood. Hybrids. Mid irons. Short irons. Wedges.
  • macedanmacedan Members Posts: 207 ✭✭
    Naptime wrote:

I prefer 7 but that isn't a poll option. Putter. Driver. 3 wood. Hybrids. Mid irons. Short irons. Wedges.

Only had a 14 way cart before but trying a 4 way stand now and trying to find my perfect club/pocket combo. Right now I am with 1. Driver, Putter, Woods. 2. 4-6 Irons 3. 7-9 Irons. 4. PW-LW
    Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 15*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Taylormade Rescue 11 21*
    Taylormade Rocketbladez (5-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Taylormade RBZ Urethane | Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Lite Black/Green
  • JayMattJayMatt Members Posts: 92
    4 way all the way. Never came around on the 14 club dividers.
  • Pi5seekerPi5seeker Members Posts: 831 ✭✭
    My Callaway ORG 14 has to be the worst bag to get clubs in and out of.
    Cobra F8 10.5* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
    Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
    Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
    Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* Spinner
    Odyssey Works Versa 1W
    Z-Star
    Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry
  • strug'-a-lingstrug'-a-ling Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    I never walk anymore.

Cart bag 14-way.

Or 15-way.
  • BradNelson22BradNelson22 Members Posts: 78
    14 is so much nicer
  • Glaze22Glaze22 FORE!!!! Members Posts: 753 ✭✭
    I was a 14 way guy until I started carrying. I have a Vessel 14 way top carry bag and a Vessel 6 way top carry bag. I prefer the 6 way top much more when carrying! For a cart bag I still like the 14 way tops.
  • Harry PutterHarry Putter Members Posts: 164 ✭✭
    14 way for cart or carry...my OCD requires a specific spot for each club.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR16 Pro Driver[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F8 5 Wood[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra King F7 3 Hybrid[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Fly-Z+ 4-PW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 56, 60[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PING Sigma G Kushin and/or Cleveland HB #8[/font]
  • GoldeNDomerGoldeNDomer Members Posts: 87 ✭✭
    I find they don't make a difference. The grips get stuck on the bottom of the bag either way.
    WITB:
    • Driver - TM M4 with Tensei Blue Stiff
    • 3 Wood - 15 degree Callaway XR Steelhead with Kuro Kage Stiff
    • Hybrids - Callaway Rogue 19 and and 24 degree with Fuji Speeder Blue
    • Irons - PXG 0311XF (5-SW) with Steelfiber i95
    • Wedges - Callaway PM grind 60 (bent to 58)
    • Putter(s) - Custom 370g PXG mustang and a Notre Dame Fighting Irish themed custom Scotty Studio Select Newport 2 (Stainless).
    • Ball - Pro V1, Z-Star, Chrome Soft, TP5, Project a
  • GoldeNDomerGoldeNDomer Members Posts: 87 ✭✭
    On a separate note, probably the best bag I've owned for dividers that was deemed gimmicky was the OGIO silencer. The grips never got stuck and the heads never touched. The bag was actually amazing.
    WITB:
    • Driver - TM M4 with Tensei Blue Stiff
    • 3 Wood - 15 degree Callaway XR Steelhead with Kuro Kage Stiff
    • Hybrids - Callaway Rogue 19 and and 24 degree with Fuji Speeder Blue
    • Irons - PXG 0311XF (5-SW) with Steelfiber i95
    • Wedges - Callaway PM grind 60 (bent to 58)
    • Putter(s) - Custom 370g PXG mustang and a Notre Dame Fighting Irish themed custom Scotty Studio Select Newport 2 (Stainless).
    • Ball - Pro V1, Z-Star, Chrome Soft, TP5, Project a
  • HidekiWoodsHidekiWoods Members Posts: 229 ✭✭
    On a separate note, probably the best bag I've owned for dividers that was deemed gimmicky was the OGIO silencer. The grips never got stuck and the heads never touched. The bag was actually amazing.

Agree. Would like to see it updated though.
    Epic SZ
    Apex Hybrid
    Srixon Z965
    MD Wedges

Night and Day Proto
  • larryd3larryd3 Members Posts: 575 ✭✭
    14 way full length dividers for me.
    TM M4
    Epic 15*
    816 H1 19*
    816 H1 24*
    PXG 0311 5-pw
    50* SM7 F
    54* SM6 M
    58* SM7 S
    PXG Operator H
  • FairwindsgolferFairwindsgolfer Members Posts: 616

Agree. Would like to see it updated though.

I've been using the Ogio Gotham bag and it has been phenomenal.

14 dividers, 0 Club chatter, and the thing is not nearly as heavy as it looks. Surprisingly it weighs in at just over 5 lb
  • aiyyeraiyyer Members Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    I'm still looking for a new four of five way cart bag similar to the Mizuno Eight50.
  • BYKBYK Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭
    4 way stand

tried 14 before, just didn't like it at all for some reason

plus the one i had was way too heavy for my liking walking the course
    Yadi for President
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    Neither of the above. I currently have a 14 and really don't like it. 4 is not enough. My preference is 7 compartments for:

Putter

S, 58, 54

A, P,

9, 8, 7

Hybrids

FW

Driver
  • pholwaypholway Members Posts: 441
    I’m a 14 way convert. Took a couple rounds to get used to the club organization but since I walk with a speedcart weight really isn’t an issue.
    TM M4 Oban Devotion 6 04
    Titleist TS2 13.5* Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Callaway Epic 5W set to 17* Project X Hzrdus Yellow (Handcrafted) or Ping G15 17* Aldila Serrano 75R (yep, Regular Flex Serrano)
    Titleist 915 HD 21.5* GD AD DI Hybrid 75s
    Callaway Apex CF16 5-AW KBS C-Taper Lite S
    Vokey SM6 KBS C-Taper R
    Odyssey EXO Seven S
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,644 ✭✭
    I moved from Ogio to Sun Mountain about 3 years ago and bought a Four- 5 14 way stand bag and was so impressed I bought a C-130 14 way . They are as good as

if get's in my opinion and I alternate between the two.
    Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X
  • unrepentant 60s  kidunrepentant 60s kid Members Posts: 72
    edited Sep 30, 2018 #202
    My present cart bag has 15 slots.

Consequently, my current set has fifteen clubs.

I like individual slots because if you leave a club out on the course, you'll notice it right away.

Probably should update my signature soon.
    Titleist PT___13, 17, 20, 23º fwy wds (stock Titleist MG-307 graphite)
    Mizuno Fli Hi___18º driving iron (Aldila NV Pro 105)
    Titleist DCI 962___#s 5-9 (Aldila NV Pro 105)
    Cleveland 588___49, 53º wedges (Aldila NV Pro 105).
    Cleveland 691___58º wedge (Aldila NV Pro 105)
    something from my bag of putters--they all suck.
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members Posts: 378 ✭✭
    I recently my first round ever with a 14 divider bag (I was traveling and this was a rental set). Ugh. Not for me - had to hunt and poke around for the empty slot.

The other advantage of having fewer dividers is that you can put the clubs in upside down for better packing and balance when using a wheeled travel bag. Having most of the weight down by the wheels makes transport much easier. With a 14-way divider, the holes are too small to let a clubhead fit through.

(Honestly, though, my absolute favorite is Ogio's Woode divider (8-way, of varying sizes). The bigger slots are still big enough to let me get my wood/hybrid heads in upside down for travel.)
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 609 ✭✭
    my current bag is a TEE Xtreme 14 way. used regularly on a pushcart, the full length dividers are nearly flawless, even with mid-size grips.

has more than enough ball, tee, beverage, accessory storage and holds up really well.

slots allocation is two in the rear, three down the middle row. four on each outer side and the putter centered in the front.

my config, back to front:

3i-4i

5i-D-6i

7i-sw-8i

9i-3h-pw

3w-P-5w

very little club interaction.
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • Molnar59Molnar59 Members Posts: 4

Which do you prefer and why?

Watching guys PANIC without 14 way dividers can be quite entertaining apres golf.

By all means, get 7, 6, 5, whathaveyou and entertain us.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]2017 Callaway GBB Epic, 9 degree, 52g stiff shaft. Steelhead XR fairway metal 15 degree stiff, Steelhead XR 3H, 4 Apex irons stiff, 5-9 X2 Hot irons stiff, 46 bent to 45, 50, 54 full sole bent to 55, 60 Cleveland RTX 2.0 Black Satin wedges, Cleveland TFi ISO putter. Callaway Chrome Soft[/background][/font]
  • IdahoHackerIdahoHacker Members Posts: 53 ✭✭
    I have been a faithful user of the Bennington Quiet Organizer golf bag for a # of years. Always road in a cart and it was great and quiet - plenty of storage. I needed an "extra club bag for the garage" and found a good deal on a Sun Mountain C130 Stand bag (before they added the putter well) that had the full 14 dividers. Honestly love them both but I am finding myself moving more to the Sun Mountain. Smaller, lighter, still covers all I need - great for the push cart and the range - still works well on the golf cart. Bennington has become my garage bag!
    Callaway Epic Driver GD M9003
    Tour Edge CB4 3 wood
    Mizuno CLK Hybrid 19
    Mizuno 900 Forged - PX 6.0
    Mizuno S18 Wedges (54 & 58)
    Ping Anser Putter
    Prov1
  • MarteeMartee Members Posts: 84
    Like the idea of 14 BUT with oversized grips, they get stuck at times, the tops of the more popular spaces get worn quickly. I seem to have the best success with stand bags. Probably keeps me from packing the kitchen sink in the bag.
  • DonW468DonW468 Members Posts: 17
    I prefer 14-way stand bags, I like having a lot of space and an easy access to my clubs. Accessibility and Organized!
    Tee It Up on the Wild Side..
  • leo the lionleo the lion Members Posts: 948 ✭✭
    14 all the way. My Ping Hoofer 14 was the first one I had tried and I can't see a downside.
    Driver, Fairway and Hybrid  LST 8.5 Tour Stiff 65, G30 3 Wood Tour Stiff 80 and G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 
    Hybrid  Tour Edge Exotics CBPro U Limited Edition 17* #2 Kuro Kage Stiff 90HY
    Irons  G irons 4-UW AWT 2.0 Stiff white dot +1/2" plus Odyssey Duel Force 56 degree 
    Bag  Hoofer 14 2016
    Putter  Queen Bee #8 
    Balls Titleist ProV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X 
  • 3_Putt_Par3_Putt_Par Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. Members Posts: 879 ✭✭
    First tried the Hoofer 14 and liked it, but after getting the Ping Traverse 14, I am super impressed and more than likely not going back! Never thought I would be a cart bag guy, but as the years pass, I am finding that I'm either riding or using a push cart, which makes the Traverse shine! Big pockets are easily accessible and the full length dividers make pulling a club way easier than with the Hoofer. As far as looks, I prefer the Hoofer, but can't really say much wrong about the Traverse.
    9* Ping G400 Max w/ Tour AD GP 7
    14.5* PRGR EGG HD w/ P9003
    18* Titleist 917F2 w/ Diamana BF 80
    24* Honma TW-U w/ Vizard IB 105
    5-PW Callaway Legacy Black (2011) w/ Modus3 125
    52/08 OnOff 2015 Kuro Forged Wedge Black Finish
    56/12 Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth w/ Modus3 125
    60/08 Fourteen RM 21 w/ Modus 125 Wedge
    Ever rotating 3 Putting implement of humiliation
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 580 ✭✭
    SM 14way, keep organized and easy to spot...that's why the survey says what it does. There are 5 way and occasional 6, but I'd still go 14 and SM are full length as any.
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3