Updated Sept. 2017: Callaway & Edel - WITB!

EvanScottKingEvanScottKing Members Posts: 326 ✭✭
Seeing as just about everything including the bag itself has changed since I first posted, I figure its a good time to do a complete overhaul of the WITB. So here's the set-up as of September 2017:

Post edited by Unknown User on
Bag is comprised of Callaway & Edel. WITB

Comments

• Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod
    Nice tools ! Why did you stop playing for 15 years?
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • EvanScottKingEvanScottKing Members Posts: 326 ✭✭

Nice tools ! Why did you stop playing for 15 years?

Thanks! Feel like the bag is starting to come together.

Just got caught up in other sports is the biggest reason looking back on it. Disappointed I gave it up completely for that long. One of those sports was actually lacrosse - I played at NDNU, so I'm sure we crossed paths at some point. Small world.

I know Tyler and Tim from Crystal Springs. Still need to make it out there for a round one of these days like they keep telling me.
    Couple updates to the bag since the original post:

• cz13X4cz13X4 Members Posts: 5,584 ✭✭
    Still rolling the edel putter?
    Ping g410 
    Cobra F8  VA Raijin
    Cobra F9 VA Raijin
    Ping S55 Accra 110 tour
    Ping glide stealth Accra 110 tour
    Bettinardi limited minovai
    I am. Love the performance of the E-3, just got some fitting mods done by the good folks down in Texas and now it's out for some customization. Excited to get it back in the bag.
  • DaBearsDaBears Captain Hook Members Posts: 129 ✭✭
    steve buzzer?
  • carn9698carn9698 carn9698 Posts: 3,255
    Nice bag. Got my eyes on the Alpha 816 fairway myself. So cheap in the UK now. I am thinking of getting the 5 wood and turning it down to 17.

I see you dialled the shaft in, so I will go for a shaft fitting on it myself before pulling the trigger.
    XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
    Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
    Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
    Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
    i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
    i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
    TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
    TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
    Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
    All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
    Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
    Mizuno Skintite Glove
    DaBears wrote:

steve buzzer?

Haha, not quite. We do have a similar miss though
    carn9698 wrote:

Nice bag. Got my eyes on the Alpha 816 fairway myself. So cheap in the UK now. I am thinking of getting the 5 wood and turning it down to 17.

I see you dialled the shaft in, so I will go for a shaft fitting on it myself before pulling the trigger.

Do it! The club is a cannon. Have also done some more on-course testing since bagging it and have swapped the position on the weights around. Not sure if its a real physics of the club driven difference, or just a psyche one, but I'm finding it easier to get the ball airborne.
    Some fun stuff being added after rummaging around in the attic when pulling stuff down for the holidays...

Granddad's old Sunday bag with some fun items. Not entirely sure what a lot of these clubs are and the internet searches didn't turn up a whole lot. If anyone knows anything about these clubs I'd love a bit of background and history.

• staysober for golfstaysober for golf Low carb guy Members Posts: 1,025 ClubWRX
    Sweet!
    Mizuno 8.5* JPX900 S.
    Titlst 14.2* 915 FD S.
    Taylor 17* M3 S.
    Callie 4i, 5i, 6i Epic 95 S. 
    Callie X2H Pro 7-pw S. 
    Callie 56* X forged S.
    Callie Odyssey wide b/w s.
    Putter Update!

My Edel E-3 is finally back in the bag after a couple trips down to Texas. First one was to Edel HQ where they installed a new counter-balanced shaft and new sole weight as well as adjusting lie after a tune-up fitting by the Edel master fitter in SF. Second trip was to Labworx where the putter was resurfaced, finished in their Matte Raw, paint-filled in gold and got the "KING" stamping done to match my wedges. Couldn't be happier with how it came out. New grip to be installed shortly is a BestGrips (also TX) Rancher in saddle brown.

Few changes to the bag in the last couple months, so here's a couple shots of the bigger changes:

Updated post on the first page for current set-up as of September 2017!
  • Roadking_6Roadking_6 Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭
    Bag is looking solid my man!

Love the Seamus. I have been rocking my RMG's all year but may have to snag a few Seamus this offseason.

Everything looks dope!
    Roadking_6 wrote:

Bag is looking solid my man!

Love the Seamus. I have been rocking my RMG's all year but may have to snag a few Seamus this offseason.

Everything looks dope!

Appreciate it; I've got you to thank for some of it! I'm really excited to finally have everything come together. But now I don't know what to do with myself when I go on BST and don't "need" anything.

The Seamus stuff is top notch and Akbar, family and the rest of the team in Portland cranking out gear are the nicest people to meet and work with. Highly recommend. My balmark, pitch tool and scorecard holder are all by them as well.
  • EaglesGolf99EaglesGolf99 (.... Formerly Known As RaidersGolf99) Foxboro, MAMembers Posts: 2,352 ✭✭
    Love The Bear headcover.

We have similar tastes. Thanks for sharing!
    2017 WORLD CHAMPION
    PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

W. I. T. B.

Callaway Epic Flash 9.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 X
    Callaway TC Rogue 4 17.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 X
    Callaway TC Apex 2H 18.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Callaway TC Apex 4H 23.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 27.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Callaway X-Forged UT 30.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 CB-57 7-8 Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 Baby Blade 9-P Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind Raw 52.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind Raw 58.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 KM-350 Soft Black DGTI Black Smoke S-400
    Callaway 2018 Chrome Soft X
    Just after posting that I felt the bag was set for a while, I ho'ed a new shaft for my driver...

Picked this up from an awesome member here. It's a one-off Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70/05 that's been tipped an inch and now plays at 44.25" in my XR16 SubZero with a 12g counterweight.

Couple minor updates heading into the winter months where things will slow down a little bit in terms of getting out and playing on the actual course, but lots of simulator time trying to work on things and do a bit of tinkering.

First up, modifications made to the 4 iron:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:4202138]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:4202136]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:4202134]

I'm still loving the Edel CB's with the KBS C-Tapers, but in my longer irons I struggle to get some of the height I need out of them to hold greens even with adequate spin on long par 3's in the 210-215 yard range. There are a couple of those holes on courses I play that are also forced carry which makes it prohibitive to just punch something low and run it up to the green which let me to looking into an alternative shaft option for my 4 iron. The result is what you see above. New shaft is a KBS Hybrid Prototype 95X shaft playing at 39" in a 23* iron - hardly dedicated driving iron set-up as I can launch and spin this thing at will and should be able to play it from the fairway without issue. Will be aiming to get it out on the course this weekend, but initial testing is promising. I can easily float one out at around 205 carry that stops quick, or step on one and sling it out with a more penetrating draw as an option off the tee. Tee shot numbers from the LM: 98mph club speed, 136mph ball speed, 11 degrees launch, 3580 rpm backspin, carrying 216 and rolling out to 238 yards. Definitely a fun club I'm excited to get out and do some more testing with.

As sort of a progress report being a year and a half into the game now, here's what the swing looked like with the old 4 iron set-up that I got as a baseline:

[media=]
  • stuntedstunted Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Beautiful set. Those irons are one of the coolest I've seen, did you refinish it yourself?

I'm considering getting a single/variable length combo set. I know the topline on the SL is huge, but was there a difference in the size of head lengthwise?
    stunted wrote:

Beautiful set. Those irons are one of the coolest I've seen, did you refinish it yourself?

I'm considering getting a single/variable length combo set. I know the topline on the SL is huge, but was there a difference in the size of head lengthwise?

Thanks, sorry for just now seeing this. I did the finish myself, and its an easy touch-up every dozen rounds or so so keep them looking fresh.

Let me see about getting some comparison pics of the SL next to the Variable length. Where would you be transitioning the set you think - as in SL to what iron?