2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Why less interest on Hogan's swing now?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think many have come to believe that the secret doesn't exist and they realize that Hogan's swing was meant for a shortish person with long arms. Definitely not something the masses should try to emulate............

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Because the rules in this sub-forum has forced less interest.

And people constantly selling secrets is annoying.

Yes the selling is annoying. Teachers should be prohibited from selling, and all posters prohibited from disagreeing...haha

Hogan swing is so technically laden, that you could discuss just one aspect with interest and so much discussion

In my opinion Hogan's swing had a bunch of compensations in it. Trying to copy it is fools gold. 5'8" with long arms, matching his positions is worthless for most, and his book is very misleading in some areas.

Pros on tour don't really copy it why should we? There are much easier ways to get the job done.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

It is interesting all the long arm short guy answers. That may have been Hogan, but that wasn't his thing. Those of you (and I've seen the videos) who dress like Hogan and try to get your swing to look exactly like Hogan's, what shot does it produce? I always tried to to get the wrist and takeaway right, but never could get the finish down. Until one day when I was trying to hit a low fading stinger with a 4-iron to get out of trouble. And boom, the club just finished perfectly. Now I can do it, but only with low fading stinger shots. Using heavy golf clubs. I truly believe if that game of golf went back to heavy steel shafted clubs and a ball that nearly spun out of control, Hogan's swing would be back in a heartbeat.

In my opinion Hogan's swing had a bunch of compensations in it. Trying to copy it is fools gold. 5'8" with long arms, matching his positions is worthless for most, and his book is very misleading in some areas.

Pros on tour don't really copy it why should we? There are much easier ways to get the job done.

Why not figure out what will a short guy with long arms have an effect on swing mechanics? IMO, that precisely is how he discovered the keys to his swing

It is interesting all the long arm short guy answers. That may have been Hogan, but that wasn't his thing. Those of you (and I've seen the videos) who dress like Hogan and try to get your swing to look exactly like Hogan's, what shot does it produce? I always tried to to get the wrist and takeaway right, but never could get the finish down. Until one day when I was trying to hit a low fading stinger with a 4-iron to get out of trouble. And boom, the club just finished perfectly. Now I can do it, but only with low fading stinger shots. Using heavy golf clubs. I truly believe if that game of golf went back to heavy steel shafted clubs and a ball that nearly spun out of control, Hogan's swing would be back in a heartbeat.

Yup. That Hogan swing has a very shallow and straight angle of attack. So low and straight-fadish would be the tendency. More loft is needed with today's balls

• 2 weeks later...

Finding someone local to teach it, properly. (Who really knows the secret?)

Time; even Hogan said he "had" to work on it everyday.

Amount of work involved; there are several alternate forms of thought and instruction that make a repeatable swing more easily attainable with less resolve.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

If Hogan's swing is really needs the most maintenance, Hogan wouldn't have been a legend. Other legends and players would have annihilated him.

Everyone of his students became a much better player. Everyone. Hogan didn't look like he has talent as his swing is really bad and in fact ugly before 1947. So don't think it's high maintenance. Thise statements are just frustration IMO

If Hogan's swing is really needs the most maintenance, Hogan wouldn't have been a legend. Other legends and players would have annihilated him.

Everyone of his students became a much better player. Everyone. Hogan didn't look like he has talent as his swing is really bad and in fact ugly before 1947. So don't think it's high maintenance. Thise statements are just frustration IMO

Well, if his swing was, in fact, "really bad" before 1947, one might wonder how he won the Vardon Trophy in 1940 & 1941, how he was the PGA Tour money leader in 1940, 1941 & 1942 and how he won the 1946 PGA Championship.

He definitely made a significant find in the summer of 1947 that finally gave him control of the adrenalin fueled hook that occasionally plagued him, particularly in the majors. If we take him at his word, it was something he was able to implement successfully in one range session, so not a major swing change. Most of the pieces of the puzzle were obviously already in place.

Hogan was a great ball striker mostly due to endless hours of practice and FOCUS. There is NO SECRET.

Wow, so he was a great ball striker, tireless practices AND a liar, eh?

Also interesting that, after August of 1947, he won 8 out of the next 12 majors he entered. He had only won 1 major in his entire career before that ... just coincidence I guess!

Where did i say he was a liar? I did not see anything that insulted Hogan or took away from his great game in my post. You have quite an imagination.

Not saying you called him one, but wondering how you reconcile the following: you said in a previous post that "There is NO SECRET", but Hogan himself said that he had one. That is documented in the 1955 Life Magazine article, George Peper's 1987 Golf Magazine interview, etc.

He came home after being eliminated from the 1947 PGA Championship in late June, only making it to the round of 64 in the match play format. While at home, he found the secret and tested it at George May's tourney in Chicago in August 1947 where he won. Check out the interview below at 3:15 ...

There is nothing to reconcile; I said there is no secret, he practiced his butt off and had tremendous focus. I my knowledge Hogan never said he had a secret, he said "dig it out of the dirt". To me that means go practice, spend your time honing your game.

The same work regime will improve anyones game (probably not to Hogan's level). Look at VJ, the most successful 40 year old on the tour, he had no secret, he practiced his but off, same with Mo. All three found their swing (all very different) and practiced until they could repeat it blind folded. Not a secret, its called work, there has never been any magic potion. Just "dig it out of the dirt".

Hard work and focus are essential to producing results. So are experimentation, creativity and imagination. If one chooses not to share something that he has discovered by digging out of the dirt, it qualifies as a secret.

A secret is not the same as a short cut or a magic bullet or elixir. It's just something that you have kept to yourself!

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/ben-hogan-golf-magazine-interview

The secret: How to hit a fade! Is it really a secret? When all you can do is snap hook the ball, it sure feels like one. LOL. And lots of practice...

No doubt he practiced a lot. But I think the real secret was the small tweak he added to an otherwise fine swing to GUARANTEE that he would not hit a hook when the pressure was on. He also said it would not help most golfers.

Hogan was a great ball striker mostly due to endless hours of practice and FOCUS. There is NO SECRET.

Also interesting that, after August of 1947, he won 8 out of the next 12 majors he entered. He had only won 1 major in his entire career before that ... just coincidence I guess!

And more notable, IMO, is that was after he was mangled in an accident. The accident could have been a factor or reason he found it? Broken what, left knee, left shoulder?

The secret: How to hit a fade! Is it really a secret? When all you can do is snap hook the ball, it sure feels like one. LOL. And lots of practice...

No doubt he practiced a lot. But I think the real secret was the small tweak he added to an otherwise fine swing to GUARANTEE that he would not hit a hook when the pressure was on. He also said it would not help most golfers.

You're referring to the cupped left wrist?

And more notable, IMO, is that was after he was mangled in an accident. The accident could have been a factor or reason he found it? Broken what, left knee, left shoulder?

You're referring to the cupped left wrist?

He said himself he was at his best post secret, pre-accident. What an incredible recovery, though!

Nope, he had the cup pre-secret ... just check out the Power Golf vids shot at Augusta in the Spring of 1947, a few months before he found the secret. IMO, he finally figured out a way to control the incredible flash speed in his hands when the adrenalin was really pumping. It was all about clubface control.

• 3 weeks later...

I think most still appreciate Hogan, myself included.

The problem is obsessing over his swing and technique doesn't lead to improvements for many people, myself included. This fact has finally caught up with most players so they are looking for other ideas to improve. I've personally never seen Hogan's move recreated well.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Quite right baloo, noone has ever understood what he really did.

Get so sick of those youtube gurus saying Hogan did this and Hogan did that, they don't have a clue IMHO.

Must say that Virtuoso here gets full marks for effort, intelligence and looking really good.

And a Hogan/Snead take-away is so taboo nowadays most instructors would stop you doing it immediately.

Get so sick of those youtube gurus saying Hogan did this and Hogan did that, they don't have a clue IMHO.

Must say that Virtuoso here gets full marks for effort, intelligence and looking really good.

And a Hogan/Snead take-away is so taboo nowadays most instructors would stop you doing it immediately.

Did he not explain his swing in Five Lessons? His explanation there is quite comprehensive to me

• 1 month later...

Did he not explain his swing in Five Lessons? His explanation there is quite comprehensive to me

Problem for the individual is they cant understand what they do to explain it in a way that works and make sense.

you have to understand that in 70 years none been able to do what Hogan did in spite of his explanation.

The same thing happen to Mike Austin, he tried to explain and more than 90% of what he said, is wrong.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God