Does Taylor Made tip their shafts?

Comments

• QuickFeetQuickFeet Members Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is all very confusing.........lol. Here is my custom order confirmation that shipped along with my M2. Was the shaft tipped?
    TaylorMade M2 10.5o / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
    Nike Vr Pro :td. 5W / UST VTS 7R Silver
    Callaway Apex 3/20o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
    Callaway Apex 4/23o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
    Nike Covert Forged 4-PW / UST Recoil 95 F3
    Nike Engage 58 Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
    Maltby 54 M Series + Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
    Vr Forged 50 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
    Nike Origin B2-01
    Nike RZN Tour Black
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    QuickFeet wrote:

This is all very confusing.........lol. Here is my custom order confirmation that shipped along with my M2. Was the shaft tipped?

Yea it says standard for tipping and TM standard is tip an inch
    edited Feb 4, 2017 #94
    Redjeep83 wrote:

QuickFeet wrote:

Which is why I find this whole tipping issue a mess.....mine was not tipped at all. According to Matrix, the parallel tip length is 3 inches; I checked the shaft on my M2 with some calipers, it's 0.338 diameter for 3 inches. Also, Matrix shows this shaft as no tipping for driver install.

Oh.........I did not what it tipped either.
    Nike Origin B2-01
    Nike RZN Tour Black
  • frebirdfrebird freebird Members Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    They make it way too complicated. So I am putting a new uncut AD DI 5S in my M2. Playing length 44.5. Tip trim, butt trim or a combination of both. I'm thinking straight in and butt trim and adjust swing weight. Any advice?
    frebird wrote:

They make it way too complicated. So I am putting a new uncut AD DI 5S in my M2. Playing length 44.5. Tip trim, butt trim or a combination of both. I'm thinking straight in and butt trim and adjust swing weight. Any advice?

Graphite Design does not recommend any tipping for this shaft with a driver to play as designed. Unless you are looking to slightly tweak launch/spin with a firmer tip you are probably on the right track going straight in on the install.
    Nike Origin B2-01
    Nike RZN Tour Black
  • frebirdfrebird freebird Members Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, mess around with clubs a lot. That was the plan, straight in. Add some lead see what happens!
  • ignitewvuignitewvu Members Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 6, 2017 #98
    QuickFeet wrote:

Redjeep83 wrote:

QuickFeet wrote:

Which is why I find this whole tipping issue a mess.....mine was not tipped at all. According to Matrix, the parallel tip length is 3 inches; I checked the shaft on my M2 with some calipers, it's 0.338 diameter for 3 inches. Also, Matrix shows this shaft as no tipping for driver install.

Just an FYI a Caliper isn't going to give you a accurate reading. Ive tried it before....
    M5 9 Fujikura Speeder Evo IV 661 Stiff
    M3 15 3 Wood Fujikura Motore Speeder VC8.1 Stiff
    M1 19 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos Blue 80HB Stiff
    M1 4i @ 39" KBS Tour 105
    Bridgestone J15DPF 5-PW DG Pro S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56 & 60 DGS200
    Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • JellyPigJellyPig The shores of Lake St. ClairMembers Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    ignitewvu wrote:

QuickFeet wrote:

Redjeep83 wrote:

QuickFeet wrote:

Just an FYI a Caliper isn't going to give you a accurate reading. Ive tried it before....

Unless they are cheap $15 Chinese calipers from Harbor Freight, they most certainly will give you an accurate reading. Not as accurate as micrometers, but still very good.
  • akjellakjell Members Posts: 4

Thank you. But, I find this whole thing ridiculous. I know of two companies still taking custom orders on the 2016 M2 and have gotten 2 different stories about this tipping issue. Retailer #1 says Taylormade doesn't tip their shafts at all. Retailer #2 first says Taylormade only tips driver ".5 inch firm" or "1 inch firm". I then attach a screenshot of the soft 1 inch option for the current M2 and reply back if its possible to do that but no response...

I had my 2017 M1 Driver and M2 3 and 5 woods built at the TMAG Poppy Hills fitting center in Monterey, CA in October of 2017. According to the guys there, drivers are tipper .5", 3 woods 1", and 5 woods 1.5". The shafts I got were the Evolution 661 for the driver and 757 in stiff for fairway woods.
  • reechardreechard Members Posts: 47 ✭✭
    From what I've read this thread has mostly been on driver shafts.

I got my bag measured and charted today and my 3 tour preferred wedges were all in the 7.5-8 range.

They are KBS tour V wedge shafts.

The guy I bought them off of got them from golftown, so I highly doubt they were a custom order.

My fitter mentioned TaylorMade not only tips their driver shafts but even their wedge shafts.

Anybody else have a similar situation ?

Currently in the bag:

Driver  F9 Speedback 8° // Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XT 60TX //
    Woods //  F6 Baffler 19° // Fujikura Pro 85s //
    DI //  P790 UDI // HZRDUS Black 6.5
    Irons // 4-PW  Amp Cell Pro Irons // DG S300 //
    Wedges // 50° - Cleveland RTX 4 //
    Wedges// 56° -  Engage //
    Wedges // 60° -  Engage //
    Putter // Odyssey JailBird Mini S //
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tour V wedge shaft and the TP wedges are taper tipped. No one tips taper tip steel shafts (at least not more then about 3/8" w/o boring out the heads), otherwise the shaft could not be fully inserted into the hosels.
  • reechardreechard Members Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Seems rather strange that my wedge shafts had a frequency of 8.08, 7.54 and 7.72.

As well these were off the rack wedges that I purchased off a guy who won new sm6 at a tournament and sold these.

Currently in the bag:

Driver  F9 Speedback 8° // Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XT 60TX //
    Woods //  F6 Baffler 19° // Fujikura Pro 85s //
    DI //  P790 UDI // HZRDUS Black 6.5
    Irons // 4-PW  Amp Cell Pro Irons // DG S300 //
    Wedges // 50° - Cleveland RTX 4 //
    Wedges// 56° -  Engage //
    Wedges // 60° -  Engage //
    Putter // Odyssey JailBird Mini S //
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is an old thread but I just picked up Aldila Rogue Black 70 MSI 95 ( Driver length ) from a member in BST that he said came

directly from Taylor Made. I plan on trying it in my 3 Wood and Aldila trimming chart says to Tip Trim 1" and butt trim to length. The Million dollar question is did Taylor Made already tip trim this shaft 1" ?

My head hurts after reading 4 pages that kinda confirm my rhetorical question
    Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X
    edited Oct 11, 2018 #105
    Tzoid wrote:

The Million dollar question is did Taylor Made already tip trim this shaft 1" ?

pretty sure the measurements are the same for the 70 as they are for the 60 (and the 'tip' referenced in the measurement is the tip of the shaft, not the tip of the adapter).

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651386-aldila-rogue-black-60-s-tip-to-graphics-measure/#entry17499626
    Stuart G. wrote:

Tzoid wrote:

pretty sure the measurements are the same for the 70 as they are for the 60 (and the 'tip' referenced in the measurement is the tip of the shaft, not the tip of the adapter).

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry17499626

Thank you

That's a pretty crazy way to determine whether it's been tipped.... but I appreciate the reply
    Titleist Pro V-1X
    Tzoid wrote:

Stuart G. wrote:

Tzoid wrote:

Thank you

That's a pretty crazy way to determine whether it's been tipped.... but I appreciate the reply

Actually, using known tip to graphics measurements is both the most common way and the most reliable way. For most shaft OEM's you have to get that info from someone else who has a known uncut version of the shaft - but Aldila (and also UST) CS are pretty good at providing those dimensions upon request.
    edited Oct 12, 2018 #108
    Stuart G. wrote:

Tzoid wrote:

Stuart G. wrote:

Tzoid wrote:

Thank you

Actually, using known tip to graphics measurements is both the most common way and the most reliable way. For most shaft OEM's you have to get that info from someone else who has a known uncut version of the shaft - but Aldila (and also UST) CS are pretty good at providing those dimensions upon request.

Well I measured and the TM shaft I purchased measures 30.5" from the Tip end to the Box above the Atomic Logo described so it's been tipped 1 "

Thank you
    Titleist Pro V-1X
  • milosmilos ms1 AustraliaMembers Posts: 142 ✭✭
    edited Oct 13, 2018 #109
    Long story but I pulled a Rogue Silver from a Titleist tip to try in my m3. After a few weeks I decided I really liked the shaft however it had been cut .5 of an inch at the butt end so I decided to order a new shaft directly from TM at standard length. I didn't specify anything on the order except the "standard length" for the M3. It turned up but after 3 weeks of play, I decided it was unplayable as I was really struggling with it and put the old Rogue back in. I thought it was just because of going back to the native length was the problem but then I put it next to the old shaft aligning the tip end and the shaft graphics suggest the TM shaft has indeed been tipped at least an inch. So I'd say yes, TM tip their shafts.

My SW is only 94 MPH and whilst I prefer a stiffer shaft I suspect it takes very little before a shaft is too stiff for my swing. Will need to be sure to order untipped from now on and wish I had read this thread sooner :-(
    edited Oct 13, 2018 #110
    milos wrote:

Long story but I pulled a Rogue Silver from a Titleist tip to try in my m3. After a few weeks I decided I really liked the shaft however it had been cut .5 of an inch at the butt end so I decided to order a new shaft directly from TM at standard length. I didn't specify anything on the order except the "standard length" for the M3. It turned up but after 3 weeks of play, I decided it was unplayable as I was really struggling with it and put the old Rogue back in. I thought it was just because of going back to the native length was the problem but then I put it next to the old shaft aligning the tip end and the shaft graphics suggest the TM shaft has indeed been tipped at least an inch. So I'd say yes, TM tip their shafts.

My SW is only 94 MPH and whilst I prefer a stiffer shaft I suspect it takes very little before a shaft is too stiff for my swing. Will need to be sure to order untipped from now on and wish I had read this thread sooner :-(

That really sucks that TM does that since Aldila's trimming guide states to only butt trim to length. Why in the **** would they do that ? Do you have a 3 wood that you could butt trim that shaft to length like I did ?
    Titleist Pro V-1X
  • milosmilos ms1 AustraliaMembers Posts: 142 ✭✭
    Tzoid wrote:

milos wrote:

That really sucks that TM does that since Aldila's trimming guide states to only butt trim to length. Why in the **** would they do that ? Do you have a 3 wood that you could butt trim that shaft to length like I did ?

Yeah sure turned into a waste of money. It's only a 60g shaft so a bit light for 3 wood but it would be worth trying to get some use from it as its just an alignment stick atm.
    So with this logic wouldn't we be able to go to a Brick and Mortar store and go to a Taylor Made Fitting Cart and grab a Standard length driver shaft and another Manufacturer identical fitting cart shaft and

confirm by how the Logos line up that a shaft is tip trimmed ? Callaway , Ping , Titleist ................
    Titleist Pro V-1X
  • t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuart G. wrote:

Tzoid wrote:

Stuart G. wrote:

Tzoid wrote:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651386-aldila-rogue-black-60-s-tip-to-graphics-measure/#entry17499626"]http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry17499626[/url]

Thank you

Hopefully things have changed because UST is one of the worst I’ve dealt with in trying to get this into. I called them about a couple different shafts I wanted to get a reference for, and they told me they don’t have that info. I was dumbfounded.
    Taylormade M3 440 10* - Tensei Pro Blue 60tx
    Titleist TS2 16.5* - TBD
    TBD
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54.11 - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10 - DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
  • t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tzoid wrote:

So with this logic wouldn't we be able to go to a Brick and Mortar store and go to a Taylor Made Fitting Cart and grab a Standard length driver shaft and another Manufacturer identical fitting cart shaft and

confirm by how the Logos line up that a shaft is tip trimmed ? Callaway , Ping , Titleist ................

No. You need to measure the specific shaft that you’re wanting to check. You could line up 2 different shafts that are untipped and the graphics may not line up because one was butt trimmed more than the other.

It just takes a little googling to know how much each company’s adapter adds and then a little more googling to find a reference for your specific shaft. Other than the smaller brands you can find nearly every model. I spent some time putting a lot of them in a spreadsheet that I reference.
    Taylormade M3 440 10* - Tensei Pro Blue 60tx
    Titleist TS2 16.5* - TBD
    TBD
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54.11 - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10 - DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
  • North Shore Golfer21North Shore Golfer21 Members Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭
    TM standard tipping:

D 1”, 3W 1.5”, 5W and above 2”. Rescue 0” standard.

Hope this helps.
  • tbowers2tbowers2 Members Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

All of this confusion is exactly why I now do all of my own club building. I don't trust the manufacturers.

Driver- Taylormade TI M4 Tour AD TP 
    3W- Callaway Epic Flash Fujikura Atmos TourSpec Blue 7
    Hybrid- Exotics CBX 119 Tour AD IZ 85
    Irons- Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Tour 120 S
    Wedges- Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58  KBS Tour 120 Wedge
    Putter- Odyssey Metal X Milled 1W
  • mBiden2mBiden2 #15 and counting..... Atlanta, GAMembers Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭✭

As of a couple of weeks ago when I spoke to TM customer service, they told me that they follow shaft manufacturers tipping recommendations now

WITB

TM R9 460 TP 9.5* - Fujikura Motore F1 65X
    TM R9 TP 3W 15* - Fujikura Motore F1 85S
    TM P790 3 & 4 - Nippon Modus3 T 105X
    TM P790 5-PW - Nippon Modus3 T 120S
    TM MG 50* - Nippon Modus3 T 120S
    TM Z TP 54* & 58* - Project X 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-Slant
  • coreyhrcoreyhr Lafferty, Daniel Members Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 7:10pm #118

I have a Tensei Pro Orange that came brand new in a M5 driver and it's tipped 1". I measured when I pulled the TM adapter. All standard order straight from Taylormade.

Callaway GBB Epic TC...L 9* - Fujikura Ventus 6s
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - Tour AD TP 7s
    Callaway XR Pro TC 18* Hybrid - Tour AD DI 95x
    Srixon Z545 4 Iron - Steelfiber i110s
    Srixon Z745 5-PW - KBS Tour 120s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50*
    Scratch 56* & 60* - Black KBS Tour Custom
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 

The sea was angry that day, my friends.
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mBiden2 said:
    As of a couple of weeks ago when I spoke to TM customer service, they told me that they follow shaft manufacturers tipping recommendations now

That really only applies to when you're building a fairway or hybrid though. Driver shafts shouldn't come tipped, but the issue was that apparently for at least the past 2-3 years, TM has been tipping every shaft 1''. That's why when you go to the custom build section on the website, you can actually soft step your driver. I finally now know why my 2017 M1 with a 60X Black Tie felt like an absolute steel pole when I got it right from TM.

I'm still under the assumption that if you do not specify 1'' soft, you will still be getting a 1'' tipping on your driver today. It sounds like for a fairway if you said standard tipping, they'd look up the OEM's tipping guide code but I wouldn't trust them to do it properly all the time.

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    LTD | Aldila Tour Blue 75X (2016 M1 Tour Issue | Diamana B 70X incoming)
    GAPR Lo | Recoil Proto 110F5 (818H2 Aldila Tour Blue 85X back up)
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | AMT Wedge
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Ardmore 2 or Bettinardi MC 360 Tour
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

@Z1ggy16 said:
    Driver shafts shouldn't come tipped, but the issue was that apparently for at least the past 2-3 years, TM has been tipping every shaft 1''.

It's actually more like 6-7 years. Best we can tell it started with the SLDR release although there were some mixed reports about it with some R1's as well.

And for @mBiden2 - over those years, TM C.S. and not been consistent with what they tell us - so not sure I'd put a lot of faith in that. They may (hopefully) change their policy eventually but I'll believe it when I see it (and can measure it myself), not before.

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Stuart_G said:

@Z1ggy16 said:
    Driver shafts shouldn't come tipped, but the issue was that apparently for at least the past 2-3 years, TM has been tipping every shaft 1''.

It's actually more like 6-7 years. Best we can tell it started with the SLDR release although there were some mixed reports about it with some R1's as well.

And for @mBiden2 - over those years, TM C.S. and not been consistent with what they tell us - so not sure I'd put a lot of faith in that. They may (hopefully) change their policy eventually but I'll believe it when I see it (and can measure it myself), not before.

Wow that far back? Luckily for me I almost never A) order new and B) use stock options, so it doesn't affect me too much.

I think I've read on here Titleist used to do this... Cobra/Cally/Ping don't standard tip do they? I actually wouldn't be surprised if Ping did now, because the G400 and also G410 are fairly heavy heads compared to Flash, M and F9.

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    LTD | Aldila Tour Blue 75X (2016 M1 Tour Issue | Diamana B 70X incoming)
    GAPR Lo | Recoil Proto 110F5 (818H2 Aldila Tour Blue 85X back up)
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | AMT Wedge
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Ardmore 2 or Bettinardi MC 360 Tour
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file