GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Fitting Tall Golfers With NO Chart or Preconceived Ideas!

1111213141517»

Comments

• ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    So this video was just uploaded on golfwrx and this driving range is like 20 minutes away. May need to pay them a visit and see what I can find out. Tall Man Golf clubs!!!<br />
    <br />
    http://www.golfwrx.com/541532/watch-this-posture-feels-like-that/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Blogroll_Home&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • f.lindeloewf.lindeloew Members  15WRX Points: 24Handicap: 6Posts: 15 Bunkers
    I would like to hear your opinion on how to create these long clubs pratically. I'm 6'7 and play +3 inch clubs, made my strike much more consistent. However, they are made that long by inserting another shaft into the existing shaft and cutting it. Do you recommend buying uncut shafts, plug it into existing heads and cut it to the preferred length? Does every iron have a specific uncut shaft or are all the same? And if uncut version is not long enough, then plug in another shaft in but? Seems crazy to some but my +3 inches does not feel long enough on shorter irons especially... thanks for any input!
    Posted:
    Sorry, I am 6'9 and not 6'7.. Would also like to add that I appreciated the previous posts a lot!
    Posted:
  • Jc0Jc0 ChicagoMembers  2042WRX Points: 234Posts: 2,042 Platinum Tees
    <br />
    I would like to hear your opinion on how to create these long clubs pratically. I'm 6'7 and play +3 inch clubs, made my strike much more consistent. However, they are made that long by inserting another shaft into the existing shaft and cutting it. Do you recommend buying uncut shafts, plug it into existing heads and cut it to the preferred length? Does every iron have a specific uncut shaft or are all the same? And if uncut version is not long enough, then plug in another shaft in but? Seems crazy to some but my +3 inches does not feel long enough on shorter irons especially... thanks for any input!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    You need to buy new uncut shafts and cut to length. There are two types of hosel sizes which would determine what you need. .355 are taper tip and each shaft is specifically made for each iron. .370 is paralell tip, each shaft is the exact same and you cut to the right length per the companies instructions. I believe 2 inches is about the most you want to go with an extension because you risk breaking the extension.
    Posted:
    Thanks for the reply! Sounds like it would be easier for me to go with .370 then, but I guess that is specific for each iron head? If buying new clubs, is there an idea of targeting Heads for .370?
    Posted:
  • Jc0Jc0 ChicagoMembers  2042WRX Points: 234Posts: 2,042 Platinum Tees
    <br />
    Thanks for the reply! Sounds like it would be easier for me to go with .370 then, but I guess that is specific for each iron head? If buying new clubs, is there an idea of targeting Heads for .370?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I would choose the club you like and request 3 inches over. I think both types will work based on the uncut shaft length.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members  2123WRX Points: 163Posts: 2,123 Platinum Tees
    The most extra length available from a 0.355 shaft is about 2-inches. It would be very easy to add a one inch butt extensions to the shafts to build a full 3-inch over length iron.
    Posted:
    So to get the tallest clubs possible, I either go with parallel tips or buy for instance 8 2-iron shafts that are tapered. That would essentially be similar to paralllell shafts cause the weight would be smaller for each club if I shorten that 2iron to appropriate length for every iron? Also thinking about using that tapered 2-iron shaft as a single length club, which would be similar to someone else using a standard 7 iron length for entire set, given that I want clubs that are in the 3-4 inch longer range..
    Posted:
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    In this video, http://www.golfwrx.com/541532/watch-this-posture-feels-like-that/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Blogroll_Home&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused, he states Tall Man Golf is using a True Temper Long Putter shaft (1:10) as their normal iron shaft.<br />
    <br />
    Using Parallel shafts with Single Length heads will get very long depending on how much or little they are tipped. <br />
    <br />
    Extensions are perfectly fine and provide other benefits of stiffening the butt end of the shaft and adding some additional counter weight. <br />
    <br />
    Lastly KBS Tour parallel tip shafts come in 43.5" lengths. Depending on what weight and flex you need there would be plenty of length. I'd advise not using any manufacturer tip trimming guides as these guidelines are all based on standard builds.
    Posted:
  • CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members  2123WRX Points: 163Posts: 2,123 Platinum Tees
    So to get the tallest clubs possible, I either go with parallel tips or buy for instance 8 2-iron shafts that are tapered. That would essentially be similar to paralllell shafts cause the weight would be smaller for each club if I shorten that 2iron to appropriate length for every iron? Also thinking about using that tapered 2-iron shaft as a single length club, which would be similar to someone else using a standard 7 iron length for entire set, given that I want clubs that are in the 3-4 inch longer range..
    <br />
    <br />
    If the club heads you are using need 0.355 shafts and you are not building to single length and you are wanting 3 or 4 inch over length irons...I would NOT use all 2-iron shafts. As Rybo said, butt extensions would be fine. Buy a full set of shafts and use extensions in the case mentioned above.
    Posted:
    Thanks for the replies again! Then I would also like to ask, if I'm going with parallel shafts to maximize length (for instance the 43.5"), should I go x-stiff if I usually play stiff? Read somewhere that soft stepping three times is more than one flex change, but that's more affecting tapered shafts I presume? And another question, to be sure that I bus .370 heads if I'm going with the parallel shafts, can i buy used clubs with graphite in them nad change to steel?
    Posted:

Advertisement
    I was also thinking of steel driver shafts in very stiff (x-stiff). They are used for a light driver head but could that possibly be used for long irons (possibly use heavy grips to lower swing weight).<br />
    Posted:
  • baloobaloo A Person WisconsinMembers  1117WRX Points: 180Posts: 1,117 Platinum Tees
    Interesting thread.<br />
    I assume I'm in the minority here in that I'm 6'3" tall with 36.5" WTF. I play my best with longer clubs but flatter lies...<br />
    <br />
    Anyway, I think there are some good thoughts here, but I would agree with previous posters that adding length to a driver isn't going to help you just because you're tall. There's more to it that that; it may or may not help you. Adding length to the shorter clubs is basically a necessity for taller folks, but not as clear cut with the other ones.
    Posted:
    Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
    2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
    SW - Wilson Staff
    Putter - Bullseye
    Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf
  • AllShowNoDoughAllShowNoDough Members  95WRX Points: 37Handicap: 3Posts: 95 Fairways

Really wish I came across this thread when it was going. Being 6'6" and not getting to play much anymore, remembering the manipulations from playing irons that are too short makes for frustrating golf. All I want to do after reading this is build irons. It makes sense. I have a video from back in the fall that shows me with a lot of waist bend and a hunch in my back. I was hitting a 4 iron and someone said it looked like I was using a kid's club.

Posted:
    Titleist 910 D3 w/ Fubuki J 70x set to 10.25*
    Titleist 910H 2 Hybrid w/ Diamana Whiteboard set at 16.25*
    TaylorMade P770 3 Iron
    Titleist 690.CB 4-PW w/ KBS Tour shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52*
    Wilson FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 56* 11* bounce
    Odyssey O-Works Black 1w
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers  1153WRX Points: 405Handicap: +2.8Posts: 1,153 Platinum Tees

This topic has set off light bulbs in my head. I'm 6'2" with a 37" WTF with golf shoes on, by no means "giant" but definitely above average. I realize that I have had these ideas bouncing around in my head for a while, but never really could put it all together until reading Rybo's posts. Now it is like a moment of clarity and I believe 100% that taller golfers should be using significantly longer clubs. I think there's a stigma around anything that's over +1/2" in length because 90%+ of golfers are 5'10" or below and could never understand unless they go try to play with Junior clubs for a whole season.

What really struck home is when I thought of a player like Rory Mcilroy. Undoubtedly, he's a fantastic ball striker and one of the best drivers of the golf ball the game has ever seen. He's 5'9" and has used anywhere from a 45-45.5" driver. I did a little different calculation of my own, and it's by no means an exact science but I think it highlights the general point all the same. Rory Mcilroy is 69 inches tall in total and uses a 45-45.5" driver. That means his driver length is roughly 65% of his total height. I am 74 inches tall, and a driver that is 65% of my height would be ~48" long! Now, I'm not advocating jumping right to 48" drivers, but I think it puts it into perspective that angles and type of swing Rory is able to achieve when his swing planes are influenced by a certain length of club relative to his frame.

There are numerous other functional swings in the professional game, so I'm not trying to pull Rory Mcilroy out as a lone example. But when you have the epitome of ball striking who is 5 inches shorter than you using the same length clubs as you do, it does make you scratch your head...

As a side story, I also remember years ago hitting my buddy's irons that were built +1.5" long. He's 6'6" or 6'7", so I didn't really think twice about why he had such long clubs compared to mine. I remember sitting on the range hitting his 5-iron which would have been 39.5" long, and I was absolutely striping it. It was genuinely the first time that I felt like Rory, having a nice tall posture, and really being able to take almost a "baseball" swing at the ball. I was hitting perfect shots, dead out of the middle, could work it any way I wanted. It was pretty crazy. Then I handed him his iron back in a "well, that was fun" moment, and went back to hitting my irons that immediately felt off and more difficult to use. As though I had to take time to "adjust" back to them.

Unfortunately, as others have said, it's not just a black and white thing to lengthen your clubs. However, I am excited to experiment with it and will have to report back as to where I end up. I'm thinking of going lighter in the shafts, like with a Steelfiber 110X or Recoil 110X, in hopes that while swing weight will go up with added length, the overall heft or feel of the club will still be in balance. I'm also going to just jump right in with a 47" driver and dial it back as needed.

Posted:
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • chrislowe8chrislowe8 Members  2WRX Points: 50Posts: 2 Starters

I have just come across this thread whilst researching a new build for my irons - perfect timing for someone that's 6'6" with a 39" WTF.

Question for the OP, or anyone else that may be qualified to respond - how did you manage the swing weight progression throughout the set? I am looking to build to pretty much the same as the specs in your original post (in terms of length) however I am getting a progression of 1 SW point for every club (see attached).

Now I always knew that by adding so much length that they would SW high, but I assumed there would be 2 - 3 SW points between the longest and shortest clubs - not 1 SW point PER CLUB!

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Posted:
    Post edited by chrislowe8 on

Advertisement
  • Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members  1119WRX Points: 351Posts: 1,119 Platinum Tees

6'2" long legs, short arms, and a wide chest.

+2" and 3° flat.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9.5 Aldilla 2KXV Green Anniversary 65TX
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 3W 14.5 Aldilla 2KXV Green 75X
    Nike VR Pro Combo 2-PW Nippon Pro Modus 130X
    Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 130X
    Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
    TP5X

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.