GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Fitting Tall Golfers With NO Chart or Preconceived Ideas!

1246717
17

Comments

  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members  4094WRX Points: 796Posts: 4,094 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #92
    rybo wrote:
    <br />
    I do not have a MOI machine, its the one machine I don't own. Honestly I never got all that caught up in it. Still adding weight anywhere along a club increases MOI. So using a heavier grip and a bit lighter shaft and normal heads I would suspect these longer clubs would have quite similar MOI's to shorter clubs.
    <br />
    <br />
    Actually, that's not the case. The further up the butt end of the club the far less the MOI increases. For instance, I can add 2-grams of lead tape to the head and increase the MOI by roughly 20-25 points. I could then add a 50 gram counterweight and it would change the MOI by less than 5 points (depends how long the counterweight is). <br />
    <br />
    The issue here with these super long clubs is that the MOI will be too high. For instance, I play a SW about 36" long and my ideal MOI is 2,725 with the irons. If I were to play that shaft at 38" long, then the MOI ends up being roughly 3,045. I have had golfers that can tell something is off and have had their results altered when there is only a 20-point difference in MOI. A 320 point difference is a real problem. And 3,045 would be 220 points higher than any club I have. IIRC, the highest MOI I ever fitted for was 2,790 with the irons.<br />
    <br />
    So with that, you could possibly use a counterweight to balance out the club better. The only other issue is the shaft bend profile. Usually the tip stiffness in lightweight iron shafts is a bit softer, although the composite shafts are pretty good these days.<br />
    <br />
    I would really recommend a MOI machine if you ever get the chance to get one. If you can experiment with it, you'll start to find swingweight to be incredibly flawed, nonsensical and archaic. That's why I'm open minded to your ideas on length...if we've been using something so ridiculous as MOI for 100 years...what's to say that the shaft length concept, weight of the clubs, etc is not just as flawed, nonsensical and archaic?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    RH
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #93
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    You are still ignoring what I asked...<br />
    <br />
    Feel free to actually give me an answer. What makes the 3 wood and the driver so different? If you hit the 3 wood at that length...why does the drive HAVE to be longer just because you are taller?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I'll play along<br />
    <br />
    Different lie angles. Fairway for the most part is off the ground and when on a tee it is very low, driver is off of a high tee. Driver has greater toe droop. etc All of these types of things + the additional hand height require a longer club. <br />
    <br />
    What I found is for the driver to attain it's proper orientation, level and square, I needed more length. This needing additional length is also true for the fairways. Trust me I have tried numerous short drivers, do a search and you will see.
    Posted:
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #94
    RichieHunt wrote:
    <br />
    rybo wrote:
    <br />
    I do not have a MOI machine, its the one machine I don't own. Honestly I never got all that caught up in it. Still adding weight anywhere along a club increases MOI. So using a heavier grip and a bit lighter shaft and normal heads I would suspect these longer clubs would have quite similar MOI's to shorter clubs.
    <br />
    <br />
    Actually, that's not the case. The further up the butt end of the club the far less the MOI increases. For instance, I can add 2-grams of lead tape to the head and increase the MOI by roughly 20-25 points. I could then add a 50 gram counterweight and it would change the MOI by less than 5 points (depends how long the counterweight is).<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    My understanding is it still went up, which is what you stated. May not be as much as say in the head but MOI is still going up.
    Posted:
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 18, 2016 #95
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    There's a BIG difference between "HAVE TO" or "NEED TO" and CHOOSE to...<br />
    <br />
    You can choose to play whatever you like, but don't try to justify it as have/need.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    This is where we differ. My shoulder height in conjunction with arm length creates a limit. Taller people have higher hand heights. To ensure no excess bending or body contorting the club has to reach up to meet that limit, this is where the additional length comes in. I most definitely need to have longer lengths to make up for the higher hands. This is actually pretty simple stuff. The length of my arm from the shoulder + the length of the club has to = the distance to the ground. Give me a club that is too short and the only way to make it to the ground is to bend excessively. <br />
    <br />
    Seriously, is someone putting you up to this?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Just like I need to have pants with a longer inseam because my legs are longer. Or I need to have a larger bicycle due to body proportions. I need to have a XL golf glove to fit my oversized hand. I need shoes in size 13 2E to fit my feet. I need longer clubs to reach my higher hand height
    Posted:
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7646WRX Points: 464Posts: 7,646 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 18, 2016 #96
    rybo wrote:
    Golfrnut wrote:
    You are still ignoring what I asked... Feel free to actually give me an answer. What makes the 3 wood and the driver so different? If you hit the 3 wood at that length...why does the drive HAVE to be longer just because you are taller?
    I'll play along Different lie angles. Fairway for the most part is off the ground and when on a tee it is very low, driver is off of a high tee. Driver has greater toe droop. etc All of these types of things + the additional hand height require a longer club. What I found is for the driver to attain it's proper orientation, level and square, I needed more length. This needing additional length is also true for the fairways. Trust me I have tried numerous short drivers, do a search and you will see.
    <br />
    <br />
    Exactly. But yet you said it isn't possible to just adjust lie angles for an improper length, yet the only other difference between the fairway vs driver other than the length is the lie angle. You can't pick and choose what you want to go off of here. You stated already that a club that is too short cannot be adjusted through lie angles alone yet that's exactly what the difference is between a drive and a fairway when the lengths are the same. You use a fairway just fine it appears, and the only difference is a shorter length with a different lie angle to compensate. You can't just say a driver is too short, because that is exactly how a fairway is built.<br />
    <br />
    And no, toe droop is not a viable justification here. We adjust lie angles only for tow droop. If you really want to get technical, you potentially open yourself up for even more toe droop as the club gets longer.<br />
    <br />
    Again, there's a big difference between "choose" and "need". You just claimed you can swing a shorter length, you do so with a fairway. I'm letting you choose to shoot your own theories into swiss cheese here, you just don't want to accept it.
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7646WRX Points: 464Posts: 7,646 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #97
    rybo wrote:
    Golfrnut wrote:
    There's a BIG difference between "HAVE TO" or "NEED TO" and CHOOSE to... You can choose to play whatever you like, but don't try to justify it as have/need.
    This is where we differ. My shoulder height in conjunction with arm length creates a limit. Taller people have higher hand heights. To ensure no excess bending or body contorting the club has to reach up to meet that limit, this is where the additional length comes in. I most definitely need to have longer lengths to make up for the higher hands. This is actually pretty simple stuff. The length of my arm from the shoulder + the length of the club has to = the distance to the ground. Give me a club that is too short and the only way to make it to the ground is to bend excessively. Seriously, is someone putting you up to this? Just like I need to have pants with a longer inseam because my legs are longer. Or I need to have a larger bicycle due to body proportions. I need to have a XL golf glove to fit my oversized hand. I need shoes in size 13 2E to fit my feet. I need longer clubs to reach my higher hand height
    <br />
    <br />
    Is your 8 iron the same length as your driver? I bet not. If it isn't, you are continuing to kill your own argument about needing longer clubs due to WTF measurements.
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30997WRX Points: 7,269Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,997 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #98
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    You are still ignoring what I asked...<br />
    <br />
    Feel free to actually give me an answer. What makes the 3 wood and the driver so different? If you hit the 3 wood at that length...why does the drive HAVE to be longer just because you are taller?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Lie angle ?
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan   53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30997WRX Points: 7,269Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,997 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #99
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    rybo wrote:
    Golfrnut wrote:
    There's a BIG difference between "HAVE TO" or "NEED TO" and CHOOSE to... You can choose to play whatever you like, but don't try to justify it as have/need.
    This is where we differ. My shoulder height in conjunction with arm length creates a limit. Taller people have higher hand heights. To ensure no excess bending or body contorting the club has to reach up to meet that limit, this is where the additional length comes in. I most definitely need to have longer lengths to make up for the higher hands. This is actually pretty simple stuff. The length of my arm from the shoulder + the length of the club has to = the distance to the ground. Give me a club that is too short and the only way to make it to the ground is to bend excessively. Seriously, is someone putting you up to this? Just like I need to have pants with a longer inseam because my legs are longer. Or I need to have a larger bicycle due to body proportions. I need to have a XL golf glove to fit my oversized hand. I need shoes in size 13 2E to fit my feet. I need longer clubs to reach my higher hand height
    <br />
    <br />
    Is your 8 iron the same length as your driver? I bet not. If it isn't, you are continuing to kill your own argument about needing longer clubs due to WTF measurements.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    What exactly are you saying. ? In one breath it's a Giants longer clubs in general and when irons are mentioned the goal post is moved to driver alone. How tall are you ? I'm guessing not tall enough to get it. Go borrow some junior clubs and then try to play a round. Let us know how it goes.
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan   53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7646WRX Points: 464Posts: 7,646 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #100
    Golfrnut wrote:
    You are still ignoring what I asked... Feel free to actually give me an answer. What makes the 3 wood and the driver so different? If you hit the 3 wood at that length...why does the drive HAVE to be longer just because you are taller?
    Lie angle ?
    <br />
    <br />
    True <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /><br />
    <br />
    The question was directed towards Rybo, sorry for not clarifying.
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #101
    Ok golfrnut<br />
    <br />
    We will have to agree to disagree.<br />
    <br />
    But for the sake of this post and the tall people who say it's helping it would be great if you have any additional items to discuss that you PM me. ANd I will do my best to answer any and all things you wish.
    Posted:
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #102
    <br />
    What exactly are you saying. ? In one breath it's a Giants longer clubs in general and when irons are mentioned the goal post is moved to driver alone. How tall are you ? I'm guessing not tall enough to get it. Go borrow some junior clubs and then try to play a round. Let us know how it goes.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    He is 5' 11" and honestly that is why there is so much misunderstanding about the needs of a tall golfer. He simply can not relate
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7646WRX Points: 464Posts: 7,646 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #103
    Golfrnut wrote:
    rybo wrote:
    Golfrnut wrote:
    There's a BIG difference between "HAVE TO" or "NEED TO" and CHOOSE to... You can choose to play whatever you like, but don't try to justify it as have/need.
    This is where we differ. My shoulder height in conjunction with arm length creates a limit. Taller people have higher hand heights. To ensure no excess bending or body contorting the club has to reach up to meet that limit, this is where the additional length comes in. I most definitely need to have longer lengths to make up for the higher hands. This is actually pretty simple stuff. The length of my arm from the shoulder + the length of the club has to = the distance to the ground. Give me a club that is too short and the only way to make it to the ground is to bend excessively. Seriously, is someone putting you up to this? Just like I need to have pants with a longer inseam because my legs are longer. Or I need to have a larger bicycle due to body proportions. I need to have a XL golf glove to fit my oversized hand. I need shoes in size 13 2E to fit my feet. I need longer clubs to reach my higher hand height
    Is your 8 iron the same length as your driver? I bet not. If it isn't, you are continuing to kill your own argument about needing longer clubs due to WTF measurements.
    What exactly are you saying. ? In one breath it's a Giants longer clubs in general and when irons are mentioned the goal post is moved to driver alone. How tall are you ? I'm guessing not tall enough to get it. Go borrow some junior clubs and then try to play a round. Let us know how it goes.
    <br />
    <br />
    You are still talking minimum lengths here...which I am not. We've been over that. Let's say a junior 5 iron is 36". What makes that different than my 9 iron? Answer. Lie angle. What do I do to make it the same? I change the lie angle. And what do I have now? A 5 iron with the same specs that my 9 iron has. Are you saying I can't possibly hit it now, I have a club that's built to the same specs as my 9 iron. If I couldn't, why? Because that's what Rybo is trying to claim to be true.
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 18, 2016 #104
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    Golfrnut wrote:
    rybo wrote:
    Golfrnut wrote:
    There's a BIG difference between "HAVE TO" or "NEED TO" and CHOOSE to... You can choose to play whatever you like, but don't try to justify it as have/need.
    This is where we differ. My shoulder height in conjunction with arm length creates a limit. Taller people have higher hand heights. To ensure no excess bending or body contorting the club has to reach up to meet that limit, this is where the additional length comes in. I most definitely need to have longer lengths to make up for the higher hands. This is actually pretty simple stuff. The length of my arm from the shoulder + the length of the club has to = the distance to the ground. Give me a club that is too short and the only way to make it to the ground is to bend excessively. Seriously, is someone putting you up to this? Just like I need to have pants with a longer inseam because my legs are longer. Or I need to have a larger bicycle due to body proportions. I need to have a XL golf glove to fit my oversized hand. I need shoes in size 13 2E to fit my feet. I need longer clubs to reach my higher hand height
    Is your 8 iron the same length as your driver? I bet not. If it isn't, you are continuing to kill your own argument about needing longer clubs due to WTF measurements.
    What exactly are you saying. ? In one breath it's a Giants longer clubs in general and when irons are mentioned the goal post is moved to driver alone. How tall are you ? I'm guessing not tall enough to get it. Go borrow some junior clubs and then try to play a round. Let us know how it goes.
    <br />
    <br />
    You are still talking minimum lengths here...which I am not. We've been over that. Let's say a junior 5 iron is 36". What makes that different than my 9 iron? Answer. Lie angle. What do I do to make it the same? I change the lie angle. And what do I have now? A 5 iron with the same specs that my 9 iron has. Are you saying I can't possibly hit it now, I have a club that's built to the same specs as my 9 iron. If I couldn't, why? Because that's what Rybo is trying to claim to be true.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Where did I claim that?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Go get a junior wedge and try bending the lie angle to make it work. good luck
    Posted:
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7646WRX Points: 464Posts: 7,646 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 18, 2016 #105
    rybo wrote:
    Where did I claim that? Go get a junior wedge and try bending the lie angle to make it work. good luck
    <br />
    <br />
    Stop trying to move the goal posts Rybo. I just said I wasn't talking minimums, already discussed my thoughts in the previous posts. And you are trying to bring up a wedge again to counter me talking about a 36" club?!? Just stop.<br />
    <br />
    Should we revisit the driver vs 3 wood length and lie angle again and why you can use one just fine and the idea behind the other having the same characteristics is just absurd in your opinion?
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #106
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    rybo wrote:
    Where did I claim that? Go get a junior wedge and try bending the lie angle to make it work. good luck
    <br />
    <br />
    Stop trying to move the goal posts Rybo. I just said I wasn't talking minimums, already discussed my thoughts in the previous posts. And you are trying to bring up a wedge again to counter me talking about a 36" club?!? Just stop.<br />
    <br />
    Should we revisit the driver vs 3 wood length and lie angle again and why you can use one just fine and the idea behind the other having the same characteristics is just absurd in your opinion?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Please take it to PM's. It's obvious you have no understanding for the needs of the taller golfers. And at this point it's obvious you are here to only be disruptive.
    Posted:
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7646WRX Points: 464Posts: 7,646 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #107
    rybo wrote:
    Golfrnut wrote:
    rybo wrote:
    Where did I claim that? Go get a junior wedge and try bending the lie angle to make it work. good luck
    Stop trying to move the goal posts Rybo. I just said I wasn't talking minimums, already discussed my thoughts in the previous posts. And you are trying to bring up a wedge again to counter me talking about a 36" club?!? Just stop. Should we revisit the driver vs 3 wood length and lie angle again and why you can use one just fine and the idea behind the other having the same characteristics is just absurd in your opinion?
    Please take it to PM's. It's obvious you have no understanding for the needs of the taller golfers. And at this point it's obvious you are here to only be disruptive.
    <br />
    <br />
    And I can't share my thoughts on the matter in a public post in a public forum but you can?<br />
    <br />
    Remember, you are also the one that accused me of not knowing what I was talking about that "I'm what's wrong with the industry"<br />
    <br />
    Pass...
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #108
    Post away my friend, do whatever your little heart desires. I am done responding to your circular conversations. <br />
    <br />
    If and when you gain some understanding about using clubs that are truly too short this will make sense. Go stand on a 5" box and see how well your clubs work. And don't bend at the waist either. good luck!<br />
    <br />
    And yes I will 100% stand by that comment. You are exactly the problem with the industry when it comes to meeting the needs of the exceptionally tall. Literally have dealt with it for 35 years so I am not at all surprised.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    For the rest of ya, leaving for Miami. Be back in few days with some more info.
    Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30997WRX Points: 7,269Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,997 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #109
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    Golfrnut wrote:
    rybo wrote:
    Golfrnut wrote:
    There's a BIG difference between "HAVE TO" or "NEED TO" and CHOOSE to... You can choose to play whatever you like, but don't try to justify it as have/need.
    This is where we differ. My shoulder height in conjunction with arm length creates a limit. Taller people have higher hand heights. To ensure no excess bending or body contorting the club has to reach up to meet that limit, this is where the additional length comes in. I most definitely need to have longer lengths to make up for the higher hands. This is actually pretty simple stuff. The length of my arm from the shoulder + the length of the club has to = the distance to the ground. Give me a club that is too short and the only way to make it to the ground is to bend excessively. Seriously, is someone putting you up to this? Just like I need to have pants with a longer inseam because my legs are longer. Or I need to have a larger bicycle due to body proportions. I need to have a XL golf glove to fit my oversized hand. I need shoes in size 13 2E to fit my feet. I need longer clubs to reach my higher hand height
    Is your 8 iron the same length as your driver? I bet not. If it isn't, you are continuing to kill your own argument about needing longer clubs due to WTF measurements.
    What exactly are you saying. ? In one breath it's a Giants longer clubs in general and when irons are mentioned the goal post is moved to driver alone. How tall are you ? I'm guessing not tall enough to get it. Go borrow some junior clubs and then try to play a round. Let us know how it goes.
    <br />
    <br />
    You are still talking minimum lengths here...which I am not. We've been over that. Let's say a junior 5 iron is 36". What makes that different than my 9 iron? Answer. Lie angle. What do I do to make it the same? I change the lie angle. And what do I have now? A 5 iron with the same specs that my 9 iron has. Are you saying I can't possibly hit it now, I have a club that's built to the same specs as my 9 iron. If I couldn't, why? Because that's what Rybo is trying to claim to be true.<br />
    you can't hit it with any repeatable effect. Nor can you hit it to say 75% of the distance you cold if the club fit you. Now try to hit the wedges that work with that 5 iron. Bet you can't hit two in a row inside a 30 foot circle and they will all be much shorter than what you should hit. That is what we experience when we go into a store and some launch monitor jockey " fits " us to a standard or plus 1/2 inch iron ... Which is all he is going to have.
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan   53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30997WRX Points: 7,269Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,997 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #110
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    rybo wrote:
    Where did I claim that? Go get a junior wedge and try bending the lie angle to make it work. good luck
    <br />
    <br />
    Stop trying to move the goal posts Rybo. I just said I wasn't talking minimums, already discussed my thoughts in the previous posts. And you are trying to bring up a wedge again to counter me talking about a 36" club?!? Just stop.<br />
    <br />
    Should we revisit the driver vs 3 wood length and lie angle again and why you can use one just fine and the idea behind the other having the same characteristics is just absurd in your opinion?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    It's not just minimums i.e. Wedge lengths. You have to move the others up to it the gapping doesn't work. You'll run into a gap overlap around the 6 iron. Ask me how I know. I've done it your way and only lengthened the 7-Pw . I hit w 7 iron as far as the 6 then. You still have to progressively move up.
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan   53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30997WRX Points: 7,269Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,997 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #111
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    rybo wrote:
    Golfrnut wrote:
    rybo wrote:
    Where did I claim that? Go get a junior wedge and try bending the lie angle to make it work. good luck
    Stop trying to move the goal posts Rybo. I just said I wasn't talking minimums, already discussed my thoughts in the previous posts. And you are trying to bring up a wedge again to counter me talking about a 36" club?!? Just stop. Should we revisit the driver vs 3 wood length and lie angle again and why you can use one just fine and the idea behind the other having the same characteristics is just absurd in your opinion?
    Please take it to PM's. It's obvious you have no understanding for the needs of the taller golfers. And at this point it's obvious you are here to only be disruptive.
    <br />
    <br />
    And I can't share my thoughts on the matter in a public post in a public forum but you can?<br />
    <br />
    Remember, you are also the one that accused me of not knowing what I was talking about that "I'm what's wrong with the industry"<br />
    <br />
    Pass...<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Look. I don't think you're a bad guy. But you are misinformed. Lengthening clubs for average height folks is wrong to claim distance gains. Yes. But for us who need it to just have correct posture. No way. ....It's a need. If the other thread went like this I see why it's in the cooler. But I don't see why you can't see that being obstinant about a subject you haven't experienced is/was the problem. Kind of like telling an eye witness to a crime he didn't see what he saw. And the person telling it to you wasn't there and has no video.
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan   53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • baudibaudi Members  719WRX Points: 117Posts: 719 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Nov 18, 2016 #112
    My ideas to fit tall golfers are preconceived because based on experioence.<br />
    For 4 years I use MOI speedmatch as a key parameter to fit the balance of the club in line with the length of the club.<br />
    My conclusion is that I fully regret the shortage of offered lightweight heads to create a proper balanced set of clubs for tall players.<br />
    IMHO this is a true necessity.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members  4094WRX Points: 796Posts: 4,094 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #113
    rybo wrote:
    <br />
    My understanding is it still went up, which is what you stated. May not be as much as say in the head but MOI is still going up.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Not exactly. I've put 25 grams counterweights and see no difference.<br />
    <br />
    It's just the opposite of swingweight. Where as putting that weight would drive the swingweight down, here it would just keep MOI the same.<br />
    <br />
    That's unless you get a longer counterweight or one of those Opti-Vibe counterweights that slide down the shaft a bit more. <br />
    <br />
    So with MOI....more the weight down towards the club, the more the MOI increases. But you can put a ton of weight at the butt end of the shaft and see no change in the MOI (it just won't go down like swingweight does).<br />
    <br />
    It would be interesting if we could have your length, but reduce the weight in the heads and find a lighter shaft that distributes the weight a little more towards the butt end of the grip.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    RH
    Posted:
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7646WRX Points: 464Posts: 7,646 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #114
    Golfrnut wrote:
    rybo wrote:
    Where did I claim that? Go get a junior wedge and try bending the lie angle to make it work. good luck
    Stop trying to move the goal posts Rybo. I just said I wasn't talking minimums, already discussed my thoughts in the previous posts. And you are trying to bring up a wedge again to counter me talking about a 36" club?!? Just stop. Should we revisit the driver vs 3 wood length and lie angle again and why you can use one just fine and the idea behind the other having the same characteristics is just absurd in your opinion?
    It's not just minimums i.e. Wedge lengths. You have to move the others up to it the gapping doesn't work. You'll run into a gap overlap around the 6 iron. Ask me how I know. I've done it your way and only lengthened the 7-Pw . I hit w 7 iron as far as the 6 then. You still have to progressively move up.
    <br />
    <br />
    I won't argue that your limited, I'm on your side here believe it or not. OEMs do not cater or make it easy to assemble a useful set. Component sites are much better in this regard, but if you want your club to say TM or Callaway on it, it's much harder. Not to say it can't be done, it's just much harder to achieve.<br />
    <br />
    But there are other ways to do it, than just going progressively longer and longer in length. You must agree somewhat, no? You play a 45" driver you say. So you can understand that not to be true? The justification that Rybo was giving for the "why's" do not add up, which is why I gave simple examples to show that it doesn't work that way. There's no need to go to a 46"+ driver, none. Saying you have to play 46"+ because you need the length and there is no way you can adjust lie angle and make the club work at a shorter length is hogwash. Saying that it has to steepen the swing plane and cause all kinds of other issues is also hogwash. There are plenty of tall people that play sub 45" drivers that play to a very high level, and do just fine. You already play a fairway that's shorter, so saying that you can't or it won't work is purely built on inaccurate info, or just for the sake of not wanting to admit that it's not true. Adding length to all the clubs is not even close to the only avenue to make clubs fit someone who is taller, it just requires someone that understands how to assemble the pieces. We only gain a few MPH per 1" on average, so it by no means is a essential part to create proper gapping. Does it make it harder? For sure, but not impossible.
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • CwebbCwebb Members  6028WRX Points: 331Posts: 6,028 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #115
    An option for those looking to experiment with this in an affordable way, but wanting to keep head weights as low as possible. Golfworks Maltby KE4 irons that have screw weights in the back. The stock weight can be replaced with their 2g weight, which will lower it 4g. You can also have them "hand pick" each iron head for the lightest they can find within the tolerance... about 3g under standard.<br />
    <br />
    This helps a lot with irons through a gap wedge, but the issue with try to complete a lighter head weight set is the wedges, which always tend to run heavy
    Posted:
  • 03SMURF03SMURF Members  770WRX Points: 43Posts: 770 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #116
    How much weight can safely be removed from say a blade type iron/wedge head by porting or other measures? If I went 2" over std. specs for my 714 MB pw it would go from a D2 to an E4, according to the 1/2" length increase = 3 swing weight points ratio. Then, if 2 grams head weight change is = 1 swing weight point I would need to remove 24 grams from the head to get back down to D2.
    Posted:
    M3 440 9° - Tensei CK Pro Orange V3 70TX
    915 Fd 15° - ATMOS Black 8TX
    Wilson C300 Forged - 3-5 - Steelfiber 110X Hardstepped 1x
    Wilson FG Tour V6 - 6-PW - Steelfiber 110X Hardstepped 1x
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw - 50, 56, 62 - Steelfiber 110X
    Machine M2A Converter - Longneck/Half Offset - Iomic Putter Grip Midsize
    2019 Titleist Pro V1
    4up Stadry
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 18, 2016 #117
    Since you're on your salt box, why don't you try taking a swing from it. You'll quickly realize the distance from your shoulder to the ground is considerably further away, and maybe you'll gain some understanding of what tall golfers deal with. I know, a lead shoulder height several inches higher doesn't matter, it's only the center of the swing. <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Seriously golfrnut, you are likely on thin ice. You've attacked me, told baldehunter he's 'limited' and are contributing nothing to the thread other then disruptions. A few more disruptive posts and the mods will likely shut you down. Please continue ruining a good post that is helping people. <br />
    <br />
    Now only if my wife could get ready quicker so I didn't have time to read this.....
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • gjunkygjunky SoCalMembers  237WRX Points: 95Handicap: 6Posts: 237 Fairways
    Joined:  #118
    baudi wrote:
    <br />
    My ideas to fit tall golfers are preconceived because based on experioence.<br />
    For 4 years I use MOI speedmatch as a key parameter to fit the balance of the club in line with the length of the club.<br />
    My conclusion is that I fully regret the shortage of offered lightweight heads to create a proper balanced set of clubs for tall players.<br />
    IMHO this is a true necessity.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Agree a %100 with this. That's why as a 6'4" golfer playing +3/4 over standard length irons I've played Mizuno for the past 10 years as they are the only ones I know of that produce light heads for this which they refer to as B heads.
    Posted:
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7646WRX Points: 464Posts: 7,646 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #119
    03SMURF wrote:
    <br />
    How much weight can safely be removed from say a blade type iron/wedge head by porting or other measures? If I went 2" over std. specs for my 714 MB pw it would go from a D2 to an E4, according to the 1/2" length increase = 3 swing weight points ratio. Then, if 2 grams head weight change is = 1 swing weight point I would need to remove 24 grams from the head to get back down to D2.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Depends on the head. You can port, you can also step drill the hosel below the normal BBTG line. If a wedge, you can use the sole as well to take some meat off. If you get crazier, you can start stripping heads if they happen to be chrome.<br />
    <br />
    Your assembled club may have a tip weight already as well, which can be removed to lighten weight.<br /><br />
    gjunky wrote:
    <br />
    baudi wrote:
    <br />
    My ideas to fit tall golfers are preconceived because based on experioence.<br />
    For 4 years I use MOI speedmatch as a key parameter to fit the balance of the club in line with the length of the club.<br />
    My conclusion is that I fully regret the shortage of offered lightweight heads to create a proper balanced set of clubs for tall players.<br />
    IMHO this is a true necessity.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Agree a %100 with this. That's why as a 6'4" golfer playing +3/4 over standard length irons I've played Mizuno for the past 10 years as they are the only ones I know of that produce light heads for this which they refer to as B heads.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Callaway does as well.
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • gjunkygjunky SoCalMembers  237WRX Points: 95Handicap: 6Posts: 237 Fairways
    Joined:  #120
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    03SMURF wrote:
    <br />
    How much weight can safely be removed from say a blade type iron/wedge head by porting or other measures? If I went 2" over std. specs for my 714 MB pw it would go from a D2 to an E4, according to the 1/2" length increase = 3 swing weight points ratio. Then, if 2 grams head weight change is = 1 swing weight point I would need to remove 24 grams from the head to get back down to D2.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Depends on the head. You can port, you can also step drill the hosel below the normal BBTG line. If a wedge, you can use the sole as well to take some meat off. If you get crazier, you can start stripping heads if they happen to be chrome.<br />
    <br />
    Your assembled club may have a tip weight already as well, which can be removed to lighten weight.<br />
    <br />
    gjunky wrote:
    <br />
    baudi wrote:
    <br />
    My ideas to fit tall golfers are preconceived because based on experioence.<br />
    For 4 years I use MOI speedmatch as a key parameter to fit the balance of the club in line with the length of the club.<br />
    My conclusion is that I fully regret the shortage of offered lightweight heads to create a proper balanced set of clubs for tall players.<br />
    IMHO this is a true necessity.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Agree a %100 with this. That's why as a 6'4" golfer playing +3/4 over standard length irons I've played Mizuno for the past 10 years as they are the only ones I know of that produce light heads for this which they refer to as B heads.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Callaway does as well.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    They do not, at least in all my calls to the customer service department. I used to play callaway irons but gave up on them as I'm not willing to except D8 swing weights.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7646WRX Points: 464Posts: 7,646 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 18, 2016 #121
    gjunky wrote:
    <br />
    They do not, at least in all my calls to the customer service department. I used to play callaway irons but gave up on them as I'm not willing to except D8 swing weights.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Perhaps they stopped then? I have "L" stamped heads in the closet. Think they are about 5-6 grams lighter than the standard heads? Have some "H" stamps as well, but only in some wedges.
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
17

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.