GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Fitting Tall Golfers With NO Chart or Preconceived Ideas!

1235717
17

Comments

  • TLT_DanTLT_Dan TLT_DAN Hampton, ONMembers  1083WRX Points: 133Posts: 1,083 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #122
    rybo wrote:
    <br />
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    There's a BIG difference between "HAVE TO" or "NEED TO" and CHOOSE to...<br />
    <br />
    You can choose to play whatever you like, but don't try to justify it as have/need.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    This is where we differ. My shoulder height in conjunction with arm length creates a limit. Taller people have higher hand heights. To ensure no excess bending or body contorting the club has to reach up to meet that limit, this is where the additional length comes in. I most definitely need to have longer lengths to make up for the higher hands. This is actually pretty simple stuff. The length of my arm from the shoulder + the length of the club has to = the distance to the ground. Give me a club that is too short and the only way to make it to the ground is to bend excessively. <br />
    <br />
    Seriously, is someone putting you up to this?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Just like I need to have pants with a longer inseam because my legs are longer. Or I need to have a larger bicycle due to body proportions. I need to have a XL golf glove to fit my oversized hand. I need shoes in size 13 2E to fit my feet. I need longer clubs to reach my higher hand height<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I could not agree more. I see this every time I get a tall player in for a fit. Just the opposite when a short player comes in. Guess what - they get shorter clubs.<br />
    <br />
    Rybo, please continue your quest for the right length / lie fitting and when you finally reach all your athletic address goals you have done a wonderful job of self fitting. Keep right on going.
    Posted:

    Regards Dan

    True Length Technology

    True Frequency Technology

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • bigseanc12bigseanc12 Members  112WRX Points: 42Posts: 112 Fairways
    Joined:  #123
    Do women's heads have a lower weight that might work?
    Posted:
  • TLT_DanTLT_Dan TLT_DAN Hampton, ONMembers  1083WRX Points: 133Posts: 1,083 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 18, 2016 #124
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    rybo wrote:
    Golfrnut wrote:
    You are still ignoring what I asked... Feel free to actually give me an answer. What makes the 3 wood and the driver so different? If you hit the 3 wood at that length...why does the drive HAVE to be longer just because you are taller?
    I'll play along Different lie angles. Fairway for the most part is off the ground and when on a tee it is very low, driver is off of a high tee. Driver has greater toe droop. etc All of these types of things + the additional hand height require a longer club. What I found is for the driver to attain it's proper orientation, level and square, I needed more length. This needing additional length is also true for the fairways. Trust me I have tried numerous short drivers, do a search and you will see.
    <br />
    <br />
    Exactly. But yet you said it isn't possible to just adjust lie angles for an improper length, yet the only other difference between the fairway vs driver other than the length is the lie angle. You can't pick and choose what you want to go off of here. You stated already that a club that is too short cannot be adjusted through lie angles alone yet that's exactly what the difference is between a drive and a fairway when the lengths are the same. You use a fairway just fine it appears, and the only difference is a shorter length with a different lie angle to compensate. You can't just say a driver is too short, because that is exactly how a fairway is built.<br />
    <br />
    And no, toe droop is not a viable justification here. We adjust lie angles only for tow droop. If you really want to get technical, you potentially open yourself up for even more toe droop as the club gets longer.<br />
    <br />
    Again, there's a big difference between "choose" and "need". You just claimed you can swing a shorter length, you do so with a fairway. I'm letting you choose to shoot your own theories into swiss cheese here, you just don't want to accept it.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    This is one of those cases where a lie angle change can fix some length issues, but we are talking about a very tall man - and a lie angle change alone cannot get this man standing tall enough where he can actually stand athletic. A 36 inch club (standard wedge length) set to 64 lie angle is way too short for a 6'5" man. Upright this club even 3 degrees and the 36" club is still - simply too short. Yes he may hit it better, but the physical dimensions of the club are still too short. Then to top it off - some wedges are only 35 inches and 64 lie. Not even close to working for a tall man.<br />
    <br />
    You have to get your body athletic (regardless of what size of a man you are) and length and lie both play strong roles in achieving this athletic address. To claim otherwise just doesn't seem very logical.<br />
    <br />
    There has been talk of a heavier feel that these longer clubs will create, but the feedback from my tall players is simply that they are big men, and the little extra weight is not troublesome for them whatsoever. If I try to swing this I do find it difficult and would completely tire me out over a round, but the extra grams due to the longer club is in most cases negligible (to them).
    Posted:

    Regards Dan

    True Length Technology

    True Frequency Technology

  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7645WRX Points: 458Posts: 7,645 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #125
    TLT_Dan wrote:
    <br />
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    rybo wrote:
    Golfrnut wrote:
    You are still ignoring what I asked... Feel free to actually give me an answer. What makes the 3 wood and the driver so different? If you hit the 3 wood at that length...why does the drive HAVE to be longer just because you are taller?
    I'll play along Different lie angles. Fairway for the most part is off the ground and when on a tee it is very low, driver is off of a high tee. Driver has greater toe droop. etc All of these types of things + the additional hand height require a longer club. What I found is for the driver to attain it's proper orientation, level and square, I needed more length. This needing additional length is also true for the fairways. Trust me I have tried numerous short drivers, do a search and you will see.
    <br />
    <br />
    Exactly. But yet you said it isn't possible to just adjust lie angles for an improper length, yet the only other difference between the fairway vs driver other than the length is the lie angle. You can't pick and choose what you want to go off of here. You stated already that a club that is too short cannot be adjusted through lie angles alone yet that's exactly what the difference is between a drive and a fairway when the lengths are the same. You use a fairway just fine it appears, and the only difference is a shorter length with a different lie angle to compensate. You can't just say a driver is too short, because that is exactly how a fairway is built.<br />
    <br />
    And no, toe droop is not a viable justification here. We adjust lie angles only for tow droop. If you really want to get technical, you potentially open yourself up for even more toe droop as the club gets longer.<br />
    <br />
    Again, there's a big difference between "choose" and "need". You just claimed you can swing a shorter length, you do so with a fairway. I'm letting you choose to shoot your own theories into swiss cheese here, you just don't want to accept it.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    This is one of those cases where a lie angle change can fix some length issues, but we are talking about a very tall man - and a lie angle change alone cannot get this man standing tall enough where he can actually stand athletic. A 36 inch club (standard wedge length) set to 64 lie angle is way too short for a 6'5" man. Upright this club even 3 degrees and the 36" club is still - simply too short. Yes he may hit it better, but the physical dimensions of the club are still too short. Then to top it off - some wedges are only 35 inches and 64 lie. Not even close to working for a tall man.<br />
    <br />
    You have to get your body athletic (regardless of what size of a man you are) and length and lie both play strong roles in achieving this athletic address. To claim otherwise just doesn't seem very logical.<br />
    <br />
    There has been talk of a heavier feel that these longer clubs will create, but the feedback from my tall players is simply that they are big men, and the little extra weight is not troublesome for them whatsoever. If I try to swing this I do find it difficult and would completely tire me out over a round, but the extra grams due to the longer club is in most cases negligible (to them).<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    You should probably read back through the thread, I addressed the shorter length clubs already. <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> You are trying to take from context that talked about fairway woods and apply it to wedges, doesn't work that way.
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • forefrazierforefrazier Members  376WRX Points: 69Posts: 376 Greens
    Joined:  #126
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    TLT_Dan wrote:
    <br />
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    rybo wrote:
    Golfrnut wrote:
    You are still ignoring what I asked... Feel free to actually give me an answer. What makes the 3 wood and the driver so different? If you hit the 3 wood at that length...why does the drive HAVE to be longer just because you are taller?
    I'll play along Different lie angles. Fairway for the most part is off the ground and when on a tee it is very low, driver is off of a high tee. Driver has greater toe droop. etc All of these types of things + the additional hand height require a longer club. What I found is for the driver to attain it's proper orientation, level and square, I needed more length. This needing additional length is also true for the fairways. Trust me I have tried numerous short drivers, do a search and you will see.
    <br />
    <br />
    Exactly. But yet you said it isn't possible to just adjust lie angles for an improper length, yet the only other difference between the fairway vs driver other than the length is the lie angle. You can't pick and choose what you want to go off of here. You stated already that a club that is too short cannot be adjusted through lie angles alone yet that's exactly what the difference is between a drive and a fairway when the lengths are the same. You use a fairway just fine it appears, and the only difference is a shorter length with a different lie angle to compensate. You can't just say a driver is too short, because that is exactly how a fairway is built.<br />
    <br />
    And no, toe droop is not a viable justification here. We adjust lie angles only for tow droop. If you really want to get technical, you potentially open yourself up for even more toe droop as the club gets longer.<br />
    <br />
    Again, there's a big difference between "choose" and "need". You just claimed you can swing a shorter length, you do so with a fairway. I'm letting you choose to shoot your own theories into swiss cheese here, you just don't want to accept it.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    This is one of those cases where a lie angle change can fix some length issues, but we are talking about a very tall man - and a lie angle change alone cannot get this man standing tall enough where he can actually stand athletic. A 36 inch club (standard wedge length) set to 64 lie angle is way too short for a 6'5" man. Upright this club even 3 degrees and the 36" club is still - simply too short. Yes he may hit it better, but the physical dimensions of the club are still too short. Then to top it off - some wedges are only 35 inches and 64 lie. Not even close to working for a tall man.<br />
    <br />
    You have to get your body athletic (regardless of what size of a man you are) and length and lie both play strong roles in achieving this athletic address. To claim otherwise just doesn't seem very logical.<br />
    <br />
    There has been talk of a heavier feel that these longer clubs will create, but the feedback from my tall players is simply that they are big men, and the little extra weight is not troublesome for them whatsoever. If I try to swing this I do find it difficult and would completely tire me out over a round, but the extra grams due to the longer club is in most cases negligible (to them).<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    You should probably read back through the thread, I addressed the shorter length clubs already. <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> You are trying to take from context that talked about fairway woods and apply it to wedges, doesn't work that way.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Exactly the opposite Golfrnut....Everything I go back and read has you bringing up the Driver and FW wood length issues to try and prove your point. Us tall guys (which you at 5'-11" really do not know much about) have the most trouble with the shorter clubs. Let's keep the focus there for a while as we can deal with the longer sticks but the low end is where the main issue is.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 10
    Callaway Epic Flash 15*
    Srixon zU45 20, 23
    Srixon z745 5-9i
    Srixon z945 PW
    Cleveland RTX-4 Proto 51*
    Cleveland RTX-4 Proto 56*
    Cleveland RTX-4 Proto 60*
    TM Spider Mini
    Srixon Z-Star
  • forefrazierforefrazier Members  376WRX Points: 69Posts: 376 Greens
    Joined:  #127
    Actually, I have a great idea for you...Just leave the thread and go post your negativity somewhere else. We are trying to discuss issues and fitting for people generally over 6'-3" and over or so. If you are still going to continue to say that I can play standard length irons (especially the shorter ones) with a more upright lie angle and they will be fine then we are at odds. Us taller folks have already been down that road too many times.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 10
    Callaway Epic Flash 15*
    Srixon zU45 20, 23
    Srixon z745 5-9i
    Srixon z945 PW
    Cleveland RTX-4 Proto 51*
    Cleveland RTX-4 Proto 56*
    Cleveland RTX-4 Proto 60*
    TM Spider Mini
    Srixon Z-Star
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7645WRX Points: 458Posts: 7,645 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #128
    <br />
    Exactly the opposite Golfrnut....Everything I go back and read has you bringing up the Driver and FW wood length issues to try and prove your point. Us tall guys (which you at 5'-11" really do not know much about) have the most trouble with the shorter clubs. Let's keep the focus there for a while as we can deal with the longer sticks but the low end is where the main issue is.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Read it again...<br />
    <br />
    If you read the thread, you'll notice those posts were direct replies to Rybo's thoughts on having to play an absurdly long driver due to height.<br />
    <br />
    I also posted a pretty clear response to bladehunter earlier about issues with the shorter irons. <br />
    <br />
    Or you can continue to only read what you want...your choice.
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • forefrazierforefrazier Members  376WRX Points: 69Posts: 376 Greens
    Joined:  #129
    Rybo has posted many different opinions on his thoughts across the board. WE as tall golfers can take it with a grain of salt. I personally do not have that much of an issue with the longer irons and woods as far as length goes. I can however see at least a few instances where you are calling BS on his theories with this longer clubs. Fine. I personally feel that his longer progressions all the way through the top end may be a bit much. That being said, I am all for trying a longer lengths on the short end to feel more comfortable with an athletic set up there and gradually progressing toward the top end. <br />
    <br />
    I may be the only one but it seems like you are trying to debunk the entire theory of having longer than normal (normal being no more than +1" or so on the short side) and thinking that lie angle alone will FIX us taller guys. I personally agree with what Rybo is saying that lie angle does not "lengthen" short clubs for the taller golfer. <br />
    <br />
    Feel free to chime in here to prove your point but if I play a 36" SW at +2* upright or more does not magically "fix" the length issue.<br />
    <br />
    How do you think that bending a wedge that is 36" long more upright somehow makes it play longer? It does not
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 10
    Callaway Epic Flash 15*
    Srixon zU45 20, 23
    Srixon z745 5-9i
    Srixon z945 PW
    Cleveland RTX-4 Proto 51*
    Cleveland RTX-4 Proto 56*
    Cleveland RTX-4 Proto 60*
    TM Spider Mini
    Srixon Z-Star
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7645WRX Points: 458Posts: 7,645 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 19, 2016 #130
    <br />
    Rybo has posted many different opinions on his thoughts across the board. WE as tall golfers can take it with a grain of salt. I personally do not have that much of an issue with the longer irons and woods as far as length goes. I can however see at least a few instances where you are calling BS on his theories with this longer clubs. Fine. I personally feel that his longer progressions all the way through the top end may be a bit much. That being said, I am all for trying a longer lengths on the short end to feel more comfortable with an athletic set up there and gradually progressing toward the top end.<br />
    <br />
    I may be the only one but it seems like you are trying to debunk the entire theory of having longer than normal (normal being no more than +1" or so on the short side) and thinking that lie angle alone will FIX us taller guys. I personally agree with what Rybo is saying that lie angle does not "lengthen" short clubs for the taller golfer.<br />
    <br />
    Feel free to chime in here to prove your point but if I play a 36" SW at +2* upright or more does not magically "fix" the length issue.<br />
    <br />
    How do you think that bending a wedge that is 36" long more upright somehow makes it play longer? It does not<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    If it's coming across that way, my apologies, I will say directly that it is not. I've tried to clarify that a few times through the thread. I addressed that directly with regards to the shorter irons. Taller folks that have a higher wrist to floor NEED longer clubs, will not dispute that. But like you, it's a bit much to say they ALL have to be lengthened out proportionally. Shorter irons, absolutely, go for it. Is there really a need to add more length to clubs that are already longer than ones you already play? To a point, maybe so. But, it also sounds like we are on the same page somewhat where it just isn't needed either. You can get a club that works and puts the golfer into a good position, and does not have a ton of extra length to it. Why make it harder to make solid contact than it already is? Adding length to longer clubs doesn't progress the game forward, it only makes it harder for the majority to enjoy the game. OEMs already produce 45-46" drivers, and it causes nothing but contact issues for almost everyone, no matter what their height is.<br />
    <br />
    I think you'll find our thoughts are a lot more similar than they are different...
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • BManTxBManTx Members  99WRX Points: 1Posts: 99 Bunkers
    Joined:  #131
    When you change the lie of a club, aren't you trying to match it to your swing? Not the other way around.<br />
    <br />
    If a club is playing at the correct lie angle for me, and I bend it more upright because it's too short, that isn't going to suddenly change my swing path. Isn't the club just going to be too upright for me?
    Posted:
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7645WRX Points: 458Posts: 7,645 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #132
    BManTx wrote:
    <br />
    When you change the lie of a club, aren't you trying to match it to your swing? Not the other way around.<br />
    <br />
    If a club is playing at the correct lie angle for me, and I bend it more upright because it's too short, that isn't going to suddenly change my swing path. Isn't the club just going to be too upright for me?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    No, not necessarily. This is why it doesn't make sense to talk in absolute, as it really doesn't exist. We have been changing lie angles for decades to help with ball flight, and that doesn't necessarily mean to keep the scoring lines parallel at impact. Tilting one way or another, can be done on purpose to help manipulate flight to a desired outcome.
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • forefrazierforefrazier Members  376WRX Points: 69Posts: 376 Greens
    Joined:  #133
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    Rybo has posted many different opinions on his thoughts across the board. WE as tall golfers can take it with a grain of salt. I personally do not have that much of an issue with the longer irons and woods as far as length goes. I can however see at least a few instances where you are calling BS on his theories with this longer clubs. Fine. I personally feel that his longer progressions all the way through the top end may be a bit much. That being said, I am all for trying a longer lengths on the short end to feel more comfortable with an athletic set up there and gradually progressing toward the top end.<br />
    <br />
    I may be the only one but it seems like you are trying to debunk the entire theory of having longer than normal (normal being no more than +1" or so on the short side) and thinking that lie angle alone will FIX us taller guys. I personally agree with what Rybo is saying that lie angle does not "lengthen" short clubs for the taller golfer.<br />
    <br />
    Feel free to chime in here to prove your point but if I play a 36" SW at +2* upright or more does not magically "fix" the length issue.<br />
    <br />
    How do you think that bending a wedge that is 36" long more upright somehow makes it play longer? It does not<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    If it's coming across that way, my apologies, I will say directly that it is not. I've tried to clarify that a few times through the thread. I addressed that directly with regards to the shorter irons. Taller folks that have a higher wrist to floor NEED longer clubs, will not dispute that. But like you, it's a bit much to say they ALL have to be lengthened out proportionally. Shorter irons, absolutely, go for it. Is there really a need to add more length to clubs that are already longer than ones you already play? To a point, maybe so. But, it also sounds like we are on the same page somewhat where it just isn't needed either. You can get a club that works and puts the golfer into a good position, and does not have a ton of extra length to it. Why make it harder to make solid contact than it already is? Adding length to longer clubs doesn't progress the game forward, it only makes it harder for the majority to enjoy the game. OEMs already produce 45-46" drivers, and it causes nothing but contact issues for almost everyone, no matter what their height is.<br />
    <br />
    I think you'll find our thoughts are a lot more similar than they are different...<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Thank you. This sounds much more like the conversation I would like for us to have. I personally think there is no reason to go longer than necessary but just trying to find the best "middle ground" to have us taller folks in the best athletic position across the board. My main goal is to find the ideal lengths to start with for the irons, or more specifically the shorter irons. Never really felt that the 5I and above were really an issue. I do want to find the best starting point for myself being 6'5" and WTF of 40". What is the best starting point with the irons to fit us taller folks? Do we continue to go to Big Box stores and have them hand us a 6 or 7 Iron for fitting only to walk out with the shorter irons feeling less than optimal?
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 10
    Callaway Epic Flash 15*
    Srixon zU45 20, 23
    Srixon z745 5-9i
    Srixon z945 PW
    Cleveland RTX-4 Proto 51*
    Cleveland RTX-4 Proto 56*
    Cleveland RTX-4 Proto 60*
    TM Spider Mini
    Srixon Z-Star
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7645WRX Points: 458Posts: 7,645 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #134
    <br />
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    Rybo has posted many different opinions on his thoughts across the board. WE as tall golfers can take it with a grain of salt. I personally do not have that much of an issue with the longer irons and woods as far as length goes. I can however see at least a few instances where you are calling BS on his theories with this longer clubs. Fine. I personally feel that his longer progressions all the way through the top end may be a bit much. That being said, I am all for trying a longer lengths on the short end to feel more comfortable with an athletic set up there and gradually progressing toward the top end.<br />
    <br />
    I may be the only one but it seems like you are trying to debunk the entire theory of having longer than normal (normal being no more than +1" or so on the short side) and thinking that lie angle alone will FIX us taller guys. I personally agree with what Rybo is saying that lie angle does not "lengthen" short clubs for the taller golfer.<br />
    <br />
    Feel free to chime in here to prove your point but if I play a 36" SW at +2* upright or more does not magically "fix" the length issue.<br />
    <br />
    How do you think that bending a wedge that is 36" long more upright somehow makes it play longer? It does not<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    If it's coming across that way, my apologies, I will say directly that it is not. I've tried to clarify that a few times through the thread. I addressed that directly with regards to the shorter irons. Taller folks that have a higher wrist to floor NEED longer clubs, will not dispute that. But like you, it's a bit much to say they ALL have to be lengthened out proportionally. Shorter irons, absolutely, go for it. Is there really a need to add more length to clubs that are already longer than ones you already play? To a point, maybe so. But, it also sounds like we are on the same page somewhat where it just isn't needed either. You can get a club that works and puts the golfer into a good position, and does not have a ton of extra length to it. Why make it harder to make solid contact than it already is? Adding length to longer clubs doesn't progress the game forward, it only makes it harder for the majority to enjoy the game. OEMs already produce 45-46" drivers, and it causes nothing but contact issues for almost everyone, no matter what their height is.<br />
    <br />
    I think you'll find our thoughts are a lot more similar than they are different...<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Thank you. This sounds much more like the conversation I would like for us to have. I personally think there is no reason to go longer than necessary but just trying to find the best "middle ground" to have us taller folks in the best athletic position across the board. My main goal is to find the ideal lengths to start with for the irons, or more specifically the shorter irons. Never really felt that the 5I and above were really an issue. I do want to find the best starting point for myself being 6'5" and WTF of 40". What is the best starting point with the irons to fit us taller folks? Do we continue to go to Big Box stores and have them hand us a 6 or 7 Iron for fitting only to walk out with the shorter irons feeling less than optimal?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    In my opinion no, you find someone that is intelligent enough to know to account for those things...and I have little faith in big box stores as a whole. But, there are fitters out there that work outside of the standard one-iron fittings. Are they as readily available? No, but they do exist. The problem is educating both sides, the golfer has to know they need more attention and the fitter has to know to give them that.<br />
    <br />
    As I remarked earlier in the thread, moving into fitters that use components isn't all that bad of an idea either. Some of the bigger component makers make this a way easier process because their equipment is built with a more robust set of options for fittings(lighter starting head weights, weight chambers, etc). But I can see the other side, some do not want a club that says Wishon, Alpha, etc...they want TM, Callaway, Nike, etc.
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • cxxcxx Members  3266WRX Points: 245Posts: 3,266 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 19, 2016 #135
    Although golfnut is right about not necessarily needing excessive lengths in the long irons and woods, this really is an issue to be worked out in a fitting. His point of the loft of the club and the length being independent is the basis for different length progressions including single length clubs. In any case, club length is a parameter that should be fitted to the golfer. It is one of the first ones, where the quality of the strike (where on the club face you hit the ball) determines length. If you hit the very long clubs on the screws, more power to you.<br />
    <br />
    The problem is that excessive length clubs have caused problems for many individuals. That and club manufacturers produce components that are problematic at longer lengths. Maybe a person can find an individual solution with longer lengths and the equipment available, maybe not. The percentage of the golfing population that fit into this tall people category is too small to cater to.<br />
    <br />
    The only thing that I am convinced of is that the short irons have to be longer for taller (and high WTF) players. We don't want to see people adopting George Archer's posture.
    Posted:
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 19, 2016 #136
    Since the lead shoulder is the center of the swing as can be seen here <br />
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • cxxcxx Members  3266WRX Points: 245Posts: 3,266 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #137
    rybo wrote:
    <br />
    Since the lead shoulder is the center of the swing as can be seen here<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Wouldn't you agree that club length should be determined by a fitting for an individual?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 19, 2016 #138
    cxx wrote:
    <br />
    rybo wrote:
    <br />
    Since the lead shoulder is the center of the swing as can be seen here<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Wouldn't you agree that club length should be determined by a fitting for an individual?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Absolutely! That's why the title of the thread is 'Fitting Tall Golfers'!<br />
    <br />
    This is why I came up with the way to fit for both high and low limits for irons using the low and high length limit tests. This ensures the correct length for both the short clubs and the long irons. <br />
    <br />
    For the drivers and fairway woods the additional length to the ground has to be accounted for, same as in the irons. If it is not the golfer is forced to make up the missing length by moving the body lower in some manner to get the lead shoulder low enough to make the club work as intended. It's much easier to recognize the missing length in the wedges, but it still exists with the woods. It does not matter that the club is already plenty long, what matters is getting the head in the correct orientation at impact. <br />
    <br />
    Now for me I was able to get the clubhead in the best orientation FOR ME when using a 46.5" driver, a 44 1/4", 3 wood and a 43 3/4" 5 wood. This is no where near the total 3.7" of missing length brought on by my shoulder height and arm length.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • archer1archer1 Members  145WRX Points: 97Posts: 145 Fairways
    Joined:  #139
    I am 6' 4' golfer, playing off a UK 5 handicap, and I would like to begin by thanking Rybo (the OP) for all of the incredibly useful information (both verbal and visual) that he has taken the trouble to share.<br />
    <br />
    Here is where I am in terms of club specifications.<br />
    <br />
    I started playing golf in the Far East and had clubs which were too short and too flat for me ever to become consistent. As, for geographical reasons, I have never had access to a knowledgeable fitter it has been a case of trial and error. I started building my own irons but they were too long as they were the solution to poor posture - too much weight over my heels and an upper body which was too upright. When I discovered that less knee flex, a more pronounced bend from the hips and my weight through my shoe laces led to improved compression with my irons, I built my clubs around this improved posture.<br />
    <br />
    I am a swinger of the club and have a WTF of 38.25" and am of the opinion my height 'is all in my legs'. My 3 iron measures 39.75" and my three wedges all 36.75". I build with 3/8" between clubs without grips. I do not worry about head weights or shaft weight (currently DG R300'S). What I do is build a 6 iron to length and then check impact position - sometimes I need to add weight to achieve a consistent centre strike: I have never had to worry about reducing the weight. When I have a consistent centre strike I weigh the club and then build the 3-PW with 6 gram increments - also known as the poor man's MOI. I use tungsten powder and corks when adding weight to a club. The person who bends my irons has my lie angle details and the only one I can remember is for the three wedges which is 66 degrees.<br />
    <br />
    It might surprise some, but my woods are not over length. My driver is 44.75" and my 3 wood is an inch shorter and the 5 wood an inch shorter than the 3 wood. With each of these the final weight of the club is simply what feels comfortable in my hands. (I have played drivers in the D0 to D2 range.) With these lengths I do not feel I am bending down to the ball. My posture is comfortable and the strikes are in the middle.<br />
    <br />
    My putter is 35.5" long.<br />
    <br />
    I know very little about standard lengths and swing weights but what I do know is every club in my bag works for me. This means when I play, I can concentrate on the two biggest issues which impact my score - full width on the back swing and a full shoulder turn.
    Posted:
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7645WRX Points: 458Posts: 7,645 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #140
    archer1 wrote:
    <br />
    I am a swinger of the club and have a WTF of 38.25" and am of the opinion my height 'is all in my legs'. My 3 iron measures 39.75" and my three wedges all 36.75". I build with 3/8" between clubs without grips. I do not worry about head weights or shaft weight (currently DG R300'S). What I do is build a 6 iron to length and then check impact position - sometimes I need to add weight to achieve a consistent centre strike: I have never had to worry about reducing the weight. When I have a consistent centre strike I weigh the club and then build the 3-PW with 6 gram increments - also known as the poor man's MOI. I use tungsten powder and corks when adding weight to a club. The person who bends my irons has my lie angle details and the only one I can remember is for the three wedges which is 66 degrees.<br />
    <br />
    It might surprise some, but my woods are not over length. My driver is 44.75" and my 3 wood is an inch shorter and the 5 wood an inch shorter than the 3 wood. With each of these the final weight of the club is simply what feels comfortable in my hands. (I have played drivers in the D0 to D2 range.) With these lengths I do not feel I am bending down to the ball. My posture is comfortable and the strikes are in the middle.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I personally am not surprised at all. The makeup seems very logical to me. You have also figured out that you do not need to go longer in the woods, if fact you are shorter than most stock OEM lengths on your driver, which probably offers you a lot of benefits. It can absolutely be done with very good results. Could you get away with shorter fairways? Maybe. But you also may not be afforded the luxury of getting the length vs lie correct to allow that for you either.
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • archer1archer1 Members  145WRX Points: 97Posts: 145 Fairways
    Joined:  #141
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    archer1 wrote:
    <br />
    I am a swinger of the club and have a WTF of 38.25" and am of the opinion my height 'is all in my legs'. My 3 iron measures 39.75" and my three wedges all 36.75". I build with 3/8" between clubs without grips. I do not worry about head weights or shaft weight (currently DG R300'S). What I do is build a 6 iron to length and then check impact position - sometimes I need to add weight to achieve a consistent centre strike: I have never had to worry about reducing the weight. When I have a consistent centre strike I weigh the club and then build the 3-PW with 6 gram increments - also known as the poor man's MOI. I use tungsten powder and corks when adding weight to a club. The person who bends my irons has my lie angle details and the only one I can remember is for the three wedges which is 66 degrees.<br />
    <br />
    It might surprise some, but my woods are not over length. My driver is 44.75" and my 3 wood is an inch shorter and the 5 wood an inch shorter than the 3 wood. With each of these the final weight of the club is simply what feels comfortable in my hands. (I have played drivers in the D0 to D2 range.) With these lengths I do not feel I am bending down to the ball. My posture is comfortable and the strikes are in the middle.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I personally am not surprised at all. The makeup seems very logical to me. You have also figured out that you do not need to go longer in the woods, if fact you are shorter than most stock OEM lengths on your driver, which probably offers you a lot of benefits. It can absolutely be done with very good results. Could you get away with shorter fairways? Maybe. But you also may not be afforded the luxury of getting the length vs lie correct to allow that for you either.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    With my three and five wood, if I had an issue with the lie angles not suiting the length, I would go to Plan B. This would be use Tom Wishon's bendable hosel woods.
    Posted:
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7645WRX Points: 458Posts: 7,645 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #142
    archer1 wrote:
    <br />
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    archer1 wrote:
    <br />
    I am a swinger of the club and have a WTF of 38.25" and am of the opinion my height 'is all in my legs'. My 3 iron measures 39.75" and my three wedges all 36.75". I build with 3/8" between clubs without grips. I do not worry about head weights or shaft weight (currently DG R300'S). What I do is build a 6 iron to length and then check impact position - sometimes I need to add weight to achieve a consistent centre strike: I have never had to worry about reducing the weight. When I have a consistent centre strike I weigh the club and then build the 3-PW with 6 gram increments - also known as the poor man's MOI. I use tungsten powder and corks when adding weight to a club. The person who bends my irons has my lie angle details and the only one I can remember is for the three wedges which is 66 degrees.<br />
    <br />
    It might surprise some, but my woods are not over length. My driver is 44.75" and my 3 wood is an inch shorter and the 5 wood an inch shorter than the 3 wood. With each of these the final weight of the club is simply what feels comfortable in my hands. (I have played drivers in the D0 to D2 range.) With these lengths I do not feel I am bending down to the ball. My posture is comfortable and the strikes are in the middle.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I personally am not surprised at all. The makeup seems very logical to me. You have also figured out that you do not need to go longer in the woods, if fact you are shorter than most stock OEM lengths on your driver, which probably offers you a lot of benefits. It can absolutely be done with very good results. Could you get away with shorter fairways? Maybe. But you also may not be afforded the luxury of getting the length vs lie correct to allow that for you either.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    With my three and five wood, if I had an issue with the lie angles not suiting the length, I would go to Plan B. This would be use Tom Wishon's bendable hosel woods.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I like your style <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #143
    archer1 wrote:
    <br />
    I am 6' 4' golfer, playing off a UK 5 handicap, and I would like to begin by thanking Rybo (the OP) for all of the incredibly useful information (both verbal and visual) that he has taken the trouble to share.<br />
    <br />
    Here is where I am in terms of club specifications.<br />
    <br />
    I started playing golf in the Far East and had clubs which were too short and too flat for me ever to become consistent. As, for geographical reasons, I have never had access to a knowledgeable fitter it has been a case of trial and error. I started building my own irons but they were too long as they were the solution to poor posture - too much weight over my heels and an upper body which was too upright. When I discovered that less knee flex, a more pronounced bend from the hips and my weight through my shoe laces led to improved compression with my irons, I built my clubs around this improved posture.<br />
    <br />
    I am a swinger of the club and have a WTF of 38.25" and am of the opinion my height 'is all in my legs'. My 3 iron measures 39.75" and my three wedges all 36.75". I build with 3/8" between clubs without grips. I do not worry about head weights or shaft weight (currently DG R300'S). What I do is build a 6 iron to length and then check impact position - sometimes I need to add weight to achieve a consistent centre strike: I have never had to worry about reducing the weight. When I have a consistent centre strike I weigh the club and then build the 3-PW with 6 gram increments - also known as the poor man's MOI. I use tungsten powder and corks when adding weight to a club. The person who bends my irons has my lie angle details and the only one I can remember is for the three wedges which is 66 degrees.<br />
    <br />
    It might surprise some, but my woods are not over length. My driver is 44.75" and my 3 wood is an inch shorter and the 5 wood an inch shorter than the 3 wood. With each of these the final weight of the club is simply what feels comfortable in my hands. (I have played drivers in the D0 to D2 range.) With these lengths I do not feel I am bending down to the ball. My posture is comfortable and the strikes are in the middle.<br />
    <br />
    My putter is 35.5" long.<br />
    <br />
    I know very little about standard lengths and swing weights but what I do know is every club in my bag works for me. This means when I play, I can concentrate on the two biggest issues which impact my score - full width on the back swing and a full shoulder turn.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Thank you for the accolades! It's great to hear feedback that all of this information is reaching the taller community! I will continue to help taller golfers any way I can. <br />
    <br />
    It's great you took it upon yourself to build your own clubs. Sometimes doing it yourself is the only way to get things done right! Starting golf in the Far East must have been a wild experience. In general, the population is quite a bit shorter. <br />
    <br />
    Outstanding that you have a bag of clubs that work for you! <br />
    <br />
    Posted:
  • scottazscottaz ClubWRX  2057WRX Points: 250Handicap: 1.6Posts: 2,057 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #144
    I don't want to get off topic on a great thread but was wondering how wide a stance you other bigger, taller players take with your longer set up.<br />
    <br />
    When I was getting fit for my irons (I'm 2" over) my fitter mentioned how narrow I was. My shoulder width was about 9" wider than my stance. That really surprised me. I started going about 23" with my stance at the same time ( with full shots ) and it improved my ball striking.
    Posted:

    Ping G400MAX 8.5 TPT 14 proto

    Callaway Super Hybrid 17 Hzrdus tour black 105x

    Callaway Apex 20 Fujikura pro 115x

    Mizuno HMP PW-4 DG TI 100x

    Callaway MD5 Jaws 50s, 55s, 59x DG TI 100x

    L.A.B Golf B.2 blade putter

  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #145
    First 2 minutes of this video speak directly to the needs of tall golfers!<br />
    <br />
    http://www.golfchannel.com/media/wie-offers-tips-tall-players/<br />
    Posted:
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 20, 2016 #146
    Great write up on posture! The last paragraph is the exact issue for tall golfers!<br />
    <br />
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • BManTxBManTx Members  99WRX Points: 1Posts: 99 Bunkers
    Joined:  #147
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    BManTx wrote:
    <br />
    When you change the lie of a club, aren't you trying to match it to your swing? Not the other way around.<br />
    <br />
    If a club is playing at the correct lie angle for me, and I bend it more upright because it's too short, that isn't going to suddenly change my swing path. Isn't the club just going to be too upright for me?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    No, not necessarily. This is why it doesn't make sense to talk in absolute, as it really doesn't exist. We have been changing lie angles for decades to help with ball flight, and that doesn't necessarily mean to keep the scoring lines parallel at impact. Tilting one way or another, can be done on purpose to help manipulate flight to a desired outcome.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Right, to help with ball flight. But it's not going to fix a length issue.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7645WRX Points: 458Posts: 7,645 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #148
    BManTx wrote:
    <br />
    Golfrnut wrote:
    <br />
    BManTx wrote:
    <br />
    When you change the lie of a club, aren't you trying to match it to your swing? Not the other way around.<br />
    <br />
    If a club is playing at the correct lie angle for me, and I bend it more upright because it's too short, that isn't going to suddenly change my swing path. Isn't the club just going to be too upright for me?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    No, not necessarily. This is why it doesn't make sense to talk in absolute, as it really doesn't exist. We have been changing lie angles for decades to help with ball flight, and that doesn't necessarily mean to keep the scoring lines parallel at impact. Tilting one way or another, can be done on purpose to help manipulate flight to a desired outcome.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Right, to help with ball flight. But it's not going to fix a length issue.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Read back through the thread...
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 20, 2016 #149
    Great swing comparison of Rory and Tony Finau (6' 4"). Blackmar nails it!<br />
    <br />
    https://www.youtube....h?v=HdEfkWHTquU
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 20, 2016 #150
    Actually found a video where an average height guy stands on box! <br />
    <br />
    http://www.golfchannel.com/media/tall-order-trouble-bigger-golfers-face-course/
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • baudibaudi Members  715WRX Points: 116Posts: 715 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #151
    bigseanc12 wrote:
    <br />
    Do women's heads have a lower weight that might work?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Yes sometimes Womens heads are lighter. <br />
    Mizuno is the only company which is consistent with head weight (light/heavy). <br />
    <br />
    I am pretty sure Ping has a keen idea too but their method is unclear to me. <br />
    Still, I've seen Ping sets at plus 1,5'' over length with a swing weight of E4 for the wedges With MOI close to 3000. Good luck with those clubs.<br />
    Other companies are a bit vague. I' ve seen women clubs with lighter heads from Titleist. But also without. <br />
    Boutique brands only have 1 head weight .<br />
    <br />
    The weight port (invented by Tom Wishon who else) for Golfsmith is very usefull for adjustment once but unfortunately it is awkward to get the weights out<br />
    Irons with external weight plugs (like Ping or PXG) are what I like for proper assembly.<br />
    <br />
    Over the years OEMs showed progress with micro-improvements for irons which work. <br />
    OEMs hardly care for exchangability of heads and shafts which is backward acting and short term thinking.<br />
    Where a modern quality head has the technical lifetime of +10 years; the marketing lifetime is less than two.<br />
    If there is a crisis in the industry; this constraint is one of the main causes.
    Posted:
17

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.