Sharing an Unforgettable Experience w/ the GolfWRX Community

13»

Comments

• Tcann32Tcann32 Members Posts: 3,527
    Holy Smokes! What an awesome experience. I'm hoping my daughter will take to the game as well so she can afford me these opportunities and hopefully be my retirement plan. haha jk. Great job OP, you've obviously raised a great athlete and kind heart-ed daughter.

Best of luck to her at Elon. A good friend of mine for highschool went there on a soccer scholarship. He couldn't say enough good things about their athletics and the education he got.
    What's actually in the bag...
    Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
    Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
    Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
    Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
    Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
    Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
    Callaway BBA (2014)
    Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
    Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
    Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled
  • youngwaldoyoungwaldo NJMembers Posts: 3,211 ✭✭
    Awesome story and experience. Who is your daughter's teacher?

Wk
    M5 Tour 9.0 TENSEI TOUR ORANGE 60TX 45"   
    M5 3W TENSEI BLUE 70X
    TM P760 3-5 & TM P730 6-PW TT DG TI X100
    VOKEY SM6 Black 5208M TTDG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx
    VOKEY SM6 Black 5608M TTDG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx
    VOKEY SM6 Black 6008M TTDG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx
    TM MINI SPIDER
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,852 ClubWRX
    youngwaldo wrote:

Wk

The legendary Slicefixer image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' />
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭
    youngwaldo wrote:

Wk

Geoff Jones...a.k.a. Slicefixer here on GolfWRX... treats her like a daughter.
    USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - stock shaft in S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,393 ✭✭
    Great post and what an amazing experience.

What all did you get autographed by Jack and Rick?
    R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,923 ✭✭
    What a great experience, but an experience rewarded with hard work for a great cause. Congrats to you both.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
    PZero wrote:

Great post and what an amazing experience.

What all did you get autographed by Jack and Rick?

We're not big autograph seekers/collectors, but when she was done playing they brought us into the clubhouse and gave each kid this beautiful framed, matted, and autographed photo:

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,266 ✭✭
    dpb5031 wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

dpb5031 wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

That's awesome OP! Your daughter has a very nice swing. I'm also in the central NJ area...What coaches has she gone to? I'm looking for a new set of eyes next season.

Her swing coach is Geoff Jones (Slicefixer on GolfWRX). He's in Texarkana, but comes to Warwick, NY (about 2 hours away) 4 or 5 times per year to teach his East coast students. If you search GolfWRX instructional forums for "Slicefixer 9-3" you'll find a massive thread. Geoff's been great for Haley. I could connect you if you're interested.

So does he run kind of like a weekend golf school? How are his rates?

Thanks for the info though, I will check the thread out. As for Haley, what's her aspirations in golf? Is she just kind of playing for fun, or has dreams of LPGA? Would be so cool to see a fellow members kid on tour.

Geoff's rates are very reasonable. He teaches hourly but often has first time students go through a 1 or 2 day "ground school" as a full immersion if you buy into his overall teaching concepts. If you'd like more info feel free to PM me anytime.

Like most normal teens, Haley's aspirations and level of motivation tend to change regularly...lol, so tough to know for certain how far she intends to pursue golf. In my view it's a marathon, not a sprint. I've seen too many "junior golf robots" burn out...some before they even get to college. My GolfWRX buddy Heavy_Hitter (golfing daughter from FL same age) can attest.

Haley's a social kid yet sadly, except for tournaments, golf has been kind of solitary for her since she has no other girls in our area to play with regularly. I think she's going to thrive in the college team environment. Hopefully we've given her a nice foundation, plus she's got good power which is often a limiting factor.

I just want her to have the best overall collegiate experience possible and however far she decides to pursue golf is fine with me either way.

I'm interested. Right now I pay the pro at Galloping Hills ~$100 an hour for a lesson. I've also gone to Teerific Golf Center in the Branchburg area and paid $100, too. So that seems about the going rate for a decent lesson. I was thinking of doing golf school, I can't remember the guys name but it was a phenomenal deal. It was a weekend course here in NJ for $500 or 600 and included lunch both days, long & short game, etc.

I hear you. I grew up and went to a huge high school. I didn't know a single girl who golfed, or let alone who was good enough to be in a pro-am. From what I've seen from your youtube links, your daughter has the technique, now all she needs to do is stay committed if she wants to continue into and past college! If not, hey, she's got a great story and a memory of a life time. Love to hear stories such as this.

I'll PM you for more info on Geoff's lessons.
    WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD  Proforce 75F5
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,852 ClubWRX
    edited Nov 18, 2016 #70
    What is your daughter's current bag set-up?
  • egr2teupegr2teup Members Posts: 853 ✭✭
    This is such a cool thread. Congrats to Haley and dpb. I'm certain you're a very proud Dad.
    kekoa wrote:

What is your daughter's current bag set-up?

Ping G30 Driver set at 9.6 - Kuro Kage TiNi Silver (Stiff) - 45"

Ping G 3w - Attas 3 shaft (stiff flex)

Ping G30 5w - Attas 3 shaft (stiff flex)

Ping G30 22 degree 4 Hybrid - Graphite Design BB shaft (reg. flex)

Ping G20 27 degree (set to 26) 5 hybrid - Ping Tour 169 shaft (reg. flex)

Ping i25 irons 6 iron thru 55 degree sand wedge including U wedge - Recoil 95 (F3 reg. flex)

Ping Glide 60 degree wedge, SS, heel and trailing edge grind, CFS wedge flex shaft

Scotty Cameron custom shop Select Newport 1.5 w/ Iomic Grip

Iomic 2.3 Sticky w/ reminder ridge on all clubs

She had her first hole-in-one 2 weeks ago using the G20 5 hybrid on the second hole of our home course 2 weekends ago. So glad I was playing with her to witness it! 165 yards into a hurting left to right wind. She also has the i25 5 iron to match her set and switches them in and out, but the G20 is so versatile, better out of rough and goes higher.

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    Congrats man that's one **** of an experience and also for raising so much money for charity!!!
    G30 LS
    M2 BMW
    XR 4 Hybrid
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros
    Cleveland Blob
    Square Strike
    SeeMore Butts
  • Les StrokesLes Strokes Members Posts: 404 ✭✭
    Great story all round. Congrats to you and your family
  • BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,662 ✭✭
    Beautiful family and amazing experience! Thanks for sharing!! I am the proud father of two young daughters (5&2) and can't wait to see what the future holds for them. Love seeing stuff like this! Congrats to your daughter and your entire family.
  • TheShaunTheShaun Members Posts: 1,111 ✭✭
    Congrats to you and your daughter OP!
  • Palauan HammerPalauan Hammer Members Posts: 3,117 ✭✭
    Absolutely amazing, you raised your Daughter well and she certainly has an extremely bright future. This has to be one of the best threads I've ever seen on WRX during my time here. Also, great bag set up she has, well selected. Best of luck and hoping for many many more successes!
    OGA Member #3232

Epic SubZero 9* Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi XT 70tx
    Cally Xr Pro 14* GD Tour Ad MT 8tx
    Titleist 714 MB 3-Pw Nippon Modus 130x
    Nike Vr Forged 52,56,60 TT Dg S400
    Ping Anser 2
    BCULAW wrote:

Beautiful family and amazing experience! Thanks for sharing!! I am the proud father of two young daughters (5&2) and can't wait to see what the future holds for them. Love seeing stuff like this! Congrats to your daughter and your entire family.

Thank you for the kind words. You've got your hands full with two girls 5 & 2. Enjoy the ride, they'll be off to college in the blink of an eye!

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball

Absolutely amazing, you raised your Daughter well and she certainly has an extremely bright future. This has to be one of the best threads I've ever seen on WRX during my time here. Also, great bag set up she has, well selected. Best of luck and hoping for many many more successes!

Thank you! The GolfWRX community has played a significant role and I'm appreciative of that. I've learned a ton about the swing from the insructional forums here, particularly from some key contributors past and present. Reading and participating in these discussions has expanded my knowledge and shaped my views/opinions of the swing. This has enabled me to better help my daughter and to recognize/identify high quality and credible instruction.

I've also learned that it's best to have the restraint to say less and leave the major instruction to her swing coach. You can't imagine the garbage that I hear spewing from the mouths of well meaning dad's on the practice tee at junior tournaments.

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • mwkbmwmwkbmw Play. Fast. North CarolinaMembers Posts: 2,486 ✭✭
    dpb5031 wrote:

mwkbmw wrote:

Awesome post, OP! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I searched quite thoroughly, but cannot seem to find where Elon plays their home matches. I only live about 20 minutes form the university.

Congrats, I know you're proud.

Thanks for the post MWK!

Elon's home course is Alamance CC. I believe it's a Donald Ross. They also have access to 3 or 4 others. Does Stoney Creek sound familiar? I think that's one...

Yes, I have played Stoney Creek several times. The greens are usually very good, but it is not very "walker friendly". Best of luck to your daughter!
    Ping i25 9* Tour Stiff
    Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
    Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
    Ping i25 5-UW
    Scotty Cameron Notchback
    Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭
    dpb5031 wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

dpb5031 wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

That's awesome OP! Your daughter has a very nice swing. I'm also in the central NJ area...What coaches has she gone to? I'm looking for a new set of eyes next season.

Her swing coach is Geoff Jones (Slicefixer on GolfWRX). He's in Texarkana, but comes to Warwick, NY (about 2 hours away) 4 or 5 times per year to teach his East coast students. If you search GolfWRX instructional forums for "Slicefixer 9-3" you'll find a massive thread. Geoff's been great for Haley. I could connect you if you're interested.

So does he run kind of like a weekend golf school? How are his rates?

Thanks for the info though, I will check the thread out. As for Haley, what's her aspirations in golf? Is she just kind of playing for fun, or has dreams of LPGA? Would be so cool to see a fellow members kid on tour.

Geoff's rates are very reasonable. He teaches hourly but often has first time students go through a 1 or 2 day "ground school" as a full immersion if you buy into his overall teaching concepts. If you'd like more info feel free to PM me anytime.

Like most normal teens, Haley's aspirations and level of motivation tend to change regularly...lol, so tough to know for certain how far she intends to pursue golf. In my view it's a marathon, not a sprint. I've seen too many "junior golf robots" burn out...some before they even get to college. My GolfWRX buddy Heavy_Hitter (golfing daughter from FL same age) can attest.

Haley's a social kid yet sadly, except for tournaments, golf has been kind of solitary for her since she has no other girls in our area to play with regularly. I think she's going to thrive in the college team environment. Hopefully we've given her a nice foundation, plus she's got good power which is often a limiting factor.

I just want her to have the best overall collegiate experience possible and however far she decides to pursue golf is fine with me either way.

Finally got a chance to sit down and read this thread. Last week Went from Dallas to home, Charlotte to home, to my kid getting her knee scoped this morning. Has been a wild week.

Awesome experience for the family. a Lifetime Memory.

You are right. Burn out is real.
  • Browns71213Browns71213 Members Posts: 581 ✭✭
    Awesome story and experience. Getting a free custom set of clubs before heading off to play golf on scholarship, priceless! If you come to The Kingdom in GA looks us up we don't live too far from there.
    Calloway Big Bertha 460 9* Driver
    Cleveland HiBore XLS S 13* 3 Wood
    Kasco Super Hyten K2K 33 16* Hybrid
    Kasco Super Hyten K2K 44 19* Hybrid
    Original King Cobra Irons 4-SW
    Snake Eyes 58* Wedge
    Odyssey Versa #7H 35" Putter
  • mallratmallrat Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭
    Congrats to you and your family and best of luck moving forward. Hope she is truly enjoying it all and being able to look back one day and say you were with her through this will mean more than anything.
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 15,061 ✭✭
    Wow, I love threads like this!

Thanks so much for sharing with us. It just made my day!

I'm sure you are a proud father and hats off to you for the way you

have gone about this. You have much wisdom and it comes through

in your words.

Cheers for Haley. I hope she finds happiness in all the ups and downs

that lie ahead. She is on an amazing journey!
  • Palauan HammerPalauan Hammer Members Posts: 3,117 ✭✭
    dpb5031 wrote:

Thank you! The GolfWRX community has played a significant role and I'm appreciative of that. I've learned a ton about the swing from the insructional forums here, particularly from some key contributors past and present. Reading and participating in these discussions has expanded my knowledge and shaped my views/opinions of the swing. This has enabled me to better help my daughter and to recognize/identify high quality and credible instruction.

I've also learned that it's best to have the restraint to say less and leave the major instruction to her swing coach. You can't imagine the garbage that I hear spewing from the mouths of well meaning dad's on the practice tee at junior tournaments.

Good on you doing the research, and of letting the coach "coach"! I've been around a number of juniors out here where I live, and there are always those parents that despite paying the coach they possibly undermine the advice/instructions given to their son or daughter. So I totally believe you on the garbage you can sometimes hear LOL

Like you I've learned a TON joining this site, it will no doubt help along my own golf journey and hopefully someday I can pass some of this knowledge to my nephews and nieces if they find an interest in golf as I don't have any kids.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays! And again, hoping for continued success for Haley and the Family!
    OGA Member #3232

Epic SubZero 9* Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi XT 70tx
    Cally Xr Pro 14* GD Tour Ad MT 8tx
    Titleist 714 MB 3-Pw Nippon Modus 130x
    Nike Vr Forged 52,56,60 TT Dg S400
    Ping Anser 2