23 degree 5 iron vs 25 degree hybrid

NoTalentLefty ·  
NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members  3717WRX Points: 269Posts: 3,717 Titanium Tees
Thinking about going to hybrids for my 4 and 5 irons. Will there be an loss of yards on the 5?
Posted:
Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 and 5 Wood Epic Flash
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash
6-PW Titleist AP1s
50 degree GW Vokey SM4
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Comments

• SlowRainSlowRain Members  319WRX Points: 0Posts: 319
    Not sure what brand you are going to, but generically, no...in fact you will probably pick up a little. Most hybrids have a longer shaft than their iron counterparts, have a graphite shaft, which is lighter than the iron (assuming you have steel shafts). Granted you have a 2* difference in loft...so worst case is probably they go the same distance. I replaced my 3 iron (19* 716 AP1) with a 21 degree hybrid and the hybrid is longer. Same for the 4 iron...which in my irons was 22* and they hybrid is 23*...and I adjusted to 24* and it is still a bit longer than the iron was. You should be fine.
    Posted:
    Ping G 400 LST 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow
    Ping G400 3&5 Fairway Woods Graphite Design AD DI
    Ping G400 19* Hybrid Stock Shaft
    Ping G 400 4-PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105's
    Titleist SM6 52/12 and 58/12
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330RX or B330S
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • carn9698carn9698 carn9698 Members  3255WRX Points: 1Handicap: 7Posts: 3,255 Titanium Tees
    Under pressure you will hit the 23 iron straighter than the 25 hybrid. Consider it carefully.
    Posted:
    XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
    Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
    Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
    Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
    i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
    i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
    TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
    TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
    Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
    All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
    Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
    Mizuno Skintite Glove
  • remarkableremarkable Members  282WRX Points: 0Posts: 282
    <br />
    Thinking about going to hybrids for my 4 and 5 irons. Will there be an loss of yards on the 5?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Not only will you increase carry and maybe roll depending on your spin numbers, you will be able utilize the hybrid from different lie's as well. For Slower to moderate Swing Speeds it would be a benefit to your game.
    Posted:
  • doublehansdoublehans Members  663WRX Points: 73Posts: 663 Golden Tee
    Those should work out pretty similar. I have a 24 deg hybrid and 23 degree 4iron and I hit the hybrid a few yards further (I don't game them together, and typically use the iron). Now, will it be as close to hole, I dunno, I tend to hit the iron straighter so net proximity to the hole is better, so there are different ways of measuring "distance", but as for distance from the tee those should be pretty similar since hybrids are hotter/longer/lighter/etc. one caveat tho, it could depend on what type of iron you have, some irons are pretty juiced up with hybrid like technology so that they don't play as much shorter than hybrids as maybe more traditional irons of the same loft would.
    Posted:
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members  23483WRX Points: 7,416Posts: 23,483 Titanium Tees
    My Ping G30 5h is 10 yards longer than the Mizuno MP-64 5i that it replaced. However, the Mizunos don't have jacked up lofts, so you may find the distance the same. The hybrid basically served as 2 clubs then. A normal swing was basically a 4i, and if I chocked down 1/2" to 3/4", it would act as a 5i.<br />
    <br />
    Don't agree on the straightness thing. My 5i was a frikin hook machine under duress, but the 5h is generally straight as an arrow. I can hit a big draw if I want, but I have to really start the club on an inside path.
    Posted:
  • dandodando Members  80WRX Points: 0Handicap: 12Posts: 80
    Argonne69 wrote:
    <br />
    My Ping G30 5h is 10 yards longer than the Mizuno MP-64 5i that it replaced. However, the Mizunos don't have jacked up lofts, so you may find the distance the same. The hybrid basically served as 2 clubs then. A normal swing was basically a 4i, and if I chocked down 1/2" to 3/4", it would act as a 5i.<br />
    <br />
    Don't agree on the straightness thing. My 5i was a frikin hook machine under duress, but the 5h is generally straight as an arrow. I can hit a big draw if I want, but I have to really start the club on an inside path.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I had opposite to you in that my hybrids hooked like crazy yet my long irons are straight or has a slight draw.<br />
    Also i couldn't get on with the shape of the hybrid - they just don't suit my eye
    Posted:

Advertisement
    dando wrote:
    <br />
    Argonne69 wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    Don't agree on the straightness thing. My 5i was a frikin hook machine under duress, but the 5h is generally straight as an arrow. I can hit a big draw if I want, but I have to really start the club on an inside path.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I had opposite to you in that my hybrids hooked like crazy yet my long irons are straight or has a slight draw.<br />
    Also i couldn't get on with the shape of the hybrid - they just don't suit my eye<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I don't completely disagree. I went through a number of them before winding up with the Ping G30. Others were hook machines, or too big/small to my eye.
    Posted:
  • BForresterBForrester Unregistered  1261WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,261
    I'm very leery of replacing long irons with hybrids. 3 iron? No problem...that thing rarely ever came out of my bag and I'd rather hit a hybrid for the 215 - 225 shots. <br />
    <br />
    4 or 5i? Those clubs are too versatile and useful compared to hybrids. I can work the ball much easier with an iron vs. Hybrid. If I need to hit a low punch-hook? No problem with an iron. Bump and run chip just over the collar? I can do that with a 5i, too.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1 8.5o Aldila Tour Green 70x 44"
    Taylormade RBZ 3w 15o Aldila Tour Blue 70x
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19o R-Flex
    Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW DG S300
    Mizuno S5 (54, 58)
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members  3717WRX Points: 269Posts: 3,717 Titanium Tees
    Thanks for both the pro and con replies. Currently using a 3 hybrid (Baffler XL) that I love and found the 4 & 5 new at the PGA Tour Superstore this afternoon. The move coincides with my swing speed going down to allow my left replacement hip to be in sync with my swing. Need a little more pop on my 4 and 5 that, at least hoping , will give me a 10 yard gap between a 5 hybrid and a six iron.
    Posted:

3 and 5 Wood Epic Flash
    3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash
    6-PW Titleist AP1s
    50 degree GW Vokey SM4
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7

• FlashmanFlashman Flashman Members  471WRX Points: 0Posts: 471
    I have found that I have to loft up for hybrid iron replacement. I found my 27° anser works pretty well as a 5 iron replacement. Same with a 24° for my 4 iron.
    Posted:
  • rainycitygolfrainycitygolf Banned  87WRX Points: 0Posts: 87
    provided the same swing, the hybrid will go further even if it is lofted a little weaker because of graphite shaft, longer length, lighter and head design/construction. So best thing to do is try a few different hybrids in different styles to find your desired ball flight, and distance. <br />
    <br />
    The reason people have trouble with long irons include not enough club head speed or not hitting the sweet spot due to long/ heavy club. So the hybrid helps these issue for some who "can't" hit long irons. For those who can hit long irons, given the same swing, it will hit longer which is why you'll see some players prefer heavier and stiffer graphite hybrid shafts. <br />
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • remarkableremarkable Members  282WRX Points: 0Posts: 282
    <br />
    Thanks for both the pro and con replies. Currently using a 3 hybrid (Baffler XL) that I love and found the 4 & 5 new at the PGA Tour Superstore this afternoon. The move coincides with my swing speed going down to allow my left replacement hip to be in sync with my swing. Need a little more pop on my 4 and 5 that, at least hoping , will give me a 10 yard gap between a 5 hybrid and a six iron.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Great move! Lydia Ko played a Callaway X Hot 5 hybrid for a long time.<br />
    <br />
    I currently play PXG Hybrids, 19, 22, 25, 28, no fairway.
    Posted:
  • MrFlapjackMrFlapjack Members  2637WRX Points: 138Handicap: 3.6Posts: 2,637 Titanium Tees
    I've played up to a 6 hybrid for a couple years now. Not really missing the irons. Into the wind can be a bit of a challenge since they spin more and can Ballon a bit, but I hit a low drawish shot into the wind that usually takes care of that. Otherwise it's high and straight most times.
    Posted:
    Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
    Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
    Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
    4 Hybrid...
    Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
    RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
    Ping Ketsch Mid 
    remarkable wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    Thanks for both the pro and con replies. Currently using a 3 hybrid (Baffler XL) that I love and found the 4 & 5 new at the PGA Tour Superstore this afternoon. The move coincides with my swing speed going down to allow my left replacement hip to be in sync with my swing. Need a little more pop on my 4 and 5 that, at least hoping , will give me a 10 yard gap between a 5 hybrid and a six iron.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Great move! Lydia Ko played a Callaway X Hot 5 hybrid for a long time.<br />
    <br />
    I currently play PXG Hybrids, 19, 22, 25, 28, no fairway.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Actually, Lydia took the 5h out of her bag some time ago. However, I noticed yesterday that it was back in her bag, as she used it for her approach on 18. I have to believe her work with Deadletter was the reason she took it out, as as she returns to her old swing, she's more comfortable with it in her bag.
    Posted:
  • 50005955000595 Validating - Unconfirmed, Members  1WRX Points: 0Posts: 1 Starters

Look let’s look at the bottom line and not make this a science experiment. When deciding between long irons or hybrid clubs the only thing that matters is consistent sweet spot contact, distance gained and shot accuracy. The club that gives you that on a regular basis will earn the right to be in your bag.

Posted:
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WAMembers  775WRX Points: 215Posts: 775 Golden Tee

I have a 23° hybrid as a 4 iron replacement. Adam's pro mini. Can flight it in all 3 slots. Shape it left to right. Definitely a good 10 yards further on clean strikes. But choking down a little and playing a fade shorten it up enough to gap well with my 5 iron

Posted:
    Mizuno St190 9.5
    Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 15
    Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5
    Adams Pro Mini 23
    Bridgestone Tour B X-CB 5-pw 
    Cleaveland Rtx4 Raw 50mid, 56mid, 60low
    Maltby Ptm-4
    2018 Players 5 Stand Bag
    Srixon Z Star

Advertisement
  • rufus manglerrufus mangler Members  1769WRX Points: 185Posts: 1,769 Platinum Tees

24º hybrid covers my 4 iron distance... and it's way easier to hit.

Posted:

Titleist 915 8.5 (7.25) / 915 16.5 (18) / 910 21 (20.25), 24.0 (24) / Srixon 745 5-PW / Vokey SM6 50f (51), 56f, 60m / SC PP DelMar 3.5 or Cleveland HB 11.

Stiff shafts, GP 360's and Crossline Blacks. No glove.

• NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members  3717WRX Points: 269Posts: 3,717 Titanium Tees

Well since this post, I’ve learned a view things. A 5 hybrid can actually be 5 to 10 yard longer than a 5 iron, while having 2 degrees weaker loft. It’s easier to hit as well. Accuracy? When hit the 5 iron wins but you got to hit it. Less distance loss on the 5 hybrid on a mishit. So I’m loving the hybrids but going to upgrade them from my original Cobra Baffler XLs with Epic Flash 3 , 4, and 5 hybrids.

Posted:

3 and 5 Wood Epic Flash
    3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash
    6-PW Titleist AP1s
    50 degree GW Vokey SM4
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7

• xmanhockey7xmanhockey7 Members  355WRX Points: 95Posts: 355 Greens

Go for it. Hybrids are great. Even people I won’t work who say they don’t like them still can’t hit the iron counter part better. With how much clubs are being delofted we’ll see them more and more in mid irons.

Posted:
  • PworldPworld Members  405WRX Points: 104Handicap: 10.5Posts: 405 Greens

For me. My 26 degree hybrid went as long as my current 21 degree driving iron. But I 100% know the direction my driving iron is going. And the miss is less.

with that said. Just put a lot more effort into finding the right shaft for the hybrids.

Posted:
    Ping G410+ 9 degree / Titleist 917D2 10.5 degree

Titleist 917F 16.5degree
    TM rescue hybrid 18 degree
    King Cobra UI
    TM P790 5-AW
    TM MG2 54/58 wedges
    TM Spider X (Chalk) / Nike Method Origin B1-01 Putter
    Nike Air Hybrid II Bag x 2 (camo and all white)

Balls: Nike Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone B330-RXS, TM TP5x

Lot of truth to this. My current 6 iron has 26 degrees of loft. My favorite set of irons from the 90s had a 5 iron with 27 degrees of loft. Some of the current GI irons have them going as low as 24 degrees on the 6 now, and the five is 21.5.

Posted:

3 and 5 Wood Epic Flash
    3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash
    6-PW Titleist AP1s
    50 degree GW Vokey SM4
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7

Advertisement
  • CDLgolfCDLgolf Members  1028WRX Points: 172Posts: 1,028 Platinum Tees

I can play many more shots with hybrids than long irons. And fairway woods for that matter.

I play 3,4 & 5 hybrids in place of 5 wood and 3, 4, & 5 irons.

Posted:
    Cobra F8
    Ping G25 3 wood
    Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Glide 56 & 60
    Toulon Atlanta

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.