Removing Chrome from Irons w/ Muriatic Acid?

FirePro ·  
FireProFirePro Members  865WRX Points: 64Handicap: 6Posts: 865 Golden Tee
I thought I would see if anyone else has tried to remove the chrome from your wedges or irons for that matter with Muriatic Acid and what were your results?
Posted:
Cobra FlyZ+ @ 8.5 deg w/Grafalloy (White) Blue X-Stiff tipped 3/4" @ 44.75"
Taylormade 2017 M1 set to 13 deg w/ RBZ TP Aldila RIP Alpha 70X Tipped 1" @ 42.5"
Titleist 909 F2 (18.5deg) UST AxivCore Tour Green 95X Tipped 1.5" @ 41.5"
Srixon Z U45 4 & 2 w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 105 X Hybrid shaft (4 @ 38.5", 2 @ 39.5")
Srixon Z745 (5-PW) w/ KBS $-Taper X 130 Black
Hand Crafted wedges from Kyoei Raw Forged Blanks
52deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X PW Shaft
56deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X PW Shaft
60deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X 8i Shaft
Putter: Odyssey Havok

Comments

• sixtysevensixtysevensixtysevensixtyseven Members  2028WRX Points: 2Posts: 2,028 BST Banned
    It will eat through the chrome but won't dissolve the nickel. It will leave the wedges a little duller and they will have a yellowish hue to them. The finish isn't very pretty.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members  4034WRX Points: 330Posts: 4,034 Titanium Tees
    Miuriatic works to remove it, but you'll be left with a nickel plating. You'll have to reverse electroplate that. Just need some sulfuric, a battery, and some lead image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />.

Best off to have a plater do it for $15/$20 a head.
    Posted:
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • WanLeftyWanLefty Members  508WRX Points: 88Posts: 508 Golden Tee
    I'll just add that some of these things are quite toxic (and need to be disposed of specially) so I'm not sure it is worth the risk to be doing it without a proper setup.

Wan
    Posted:
  • Matt JMatt J Members  8735WRX Points: 340Posts: 8,735 Titanium Tees
    Caswell has a cold bath nickel remover.
    Posted:
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members  19514WRX Points: 1,589Posts: 19,514 Titanium Tees
    I'm a huge proponent of DYI but messing with strong concentrations of HCl requires extreme care. You would do well to look for a plating shop in your area for some quotes. If you insist then that Caswell's nickel remover may be the way to go once you have stripped off the chrome with the acid. Save all the old solutions and look for a hazardous disposal site in your area.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • FireProFirePro Members  865WRX Points: 64Handicap: 6Posts: 865 Golden Tee
    I have a dump not to far from hear that can dispose of the hazardous materials no problem. but it is starting to look like a plating company would be best. I walked into a local place and the guy was a golfer himself and seemed to not want me to do such a blasphemous thing to a set of old mizuno's and was going to charge me $60 a head, I need to find a place in the GTA that can do this on the cheap.
    Posted:
    Taylormade 2017 M1 set to 13 deg w/ RBZ TP Aldila RIP Alpha 70X Tipped 1" @ 42.5"
    Srixon Z U45 4 & 2 w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 105 X Hybrid shaft (4 @ 38.5", 2 @ 39.5")
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members  19514WRX Points: 1,589Posts: 19,514 Titanium Tees
    Doing some reading and it seems that sulfuric acid is the stuff, not muriatic (hydrochloric) acid. You need to use reverse electrolysis and a 15% acid concentration. You need some lead and a battery (a battery charger too maybe). I've done lots of zinc plating at home and it's a fun and easy process. For this application you have to be careful though. Have a bucket of water handy, long gloves, goggles, and some baking soda to kill the acid.

http://www.finishing.com/403/45.shtml
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • smellysellsmellysell North Butte ♥ KSig Members  1000WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,000
    Found a local plating shop. Gonna give them a call about doing some MP 32s and see what the price is.
    Posted:
  • FireProFirePro Members  865WRX Points: 64Handicap: 6Posts: 865 Golden Tee
    smellysell wrote:

Found a local plating shop. Gonna give them a call about doing some MP 32s and see what the price is.
    I have reached out to a few but non of them have got back to me and the one I walked into said he would do it for $60 a head, I believe he just didn't want to do it after telling him they were old mizuno's. He told me to scratch the surface of the chrome and leave them outside for the winter and they would be rusted he even said leave them in your garage. These comments left me scratching my head hence I think he just didn't want to do it.
    Posted:
  • smellysellsmellysell North Butte ♥ KSig Members  1000WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,000
    FirePro wrote:

smellysell wrote:

I have reached out to a few but non of them have got back to me and the one I walked into said he would do it for $60 a head, I believe he just didn't want to do it after telling him they were old mizuno's. He told me to scratch the surface of the chrome and leave them outside for the winter and they would be rusted he even said leave them in your garage. These comments left me scratching my head hence I think he just didn't want to do it.

Yeah, Iron Factory would be another option. If local isn't cheaper I'll probably just send them off.
    Posted:
  • sixtysevensixtysevensixtysevensixtyseven Members  2028WRX Points: 2Posts: 2,028 BST Banned
    Nessism wrote:

Doing some reading and it seems that sulfuric acid is the stuff, not muriatic (hydrochloric) acid. You need to use reverse electrolysis and a 15% acid concentration. You need some lead and a battery (a battery charger too maybe). I've done lots of zinc plating at home and it's a fun and easy process. For this application you have to be careful though. Have a bucket of water handy, long gloves, goggles, and some baking soda to kill the acid.

http://www.finishing.com/403/45.shtml

You need to use hydrochloric acid first to remove the chrome and then either reverse plating or an electroless nickel stripper.

I've done a few heads with a couple of the electroless stripper from a couple different companies. I've got a blasting cabinet, a number of buffers and a Burr King so I could handle the mess that was left after stripping the nickel. There is a lot of soot-like material left and it take a lot of blasting and buffing to get them to look good after they're stripped.

Best bet is to just send them out somewhere. If you're able to pull the heads off Priority Flat Rate shipping is cheap.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.