Srixon 765 - Perhaps the most underrated player's iron??

Comments

• m5powerm5power Members Posts: 877 ✭✭
    2putttom wrote:

m5power wrote:

are these srixons 1/2" longer than most standard lengths? I picked up a set that is "standard" length but found them to be 1/2" longer than every other set that I have.
    https://www.bridgest...ng-forged-irons

https://www.google.c...=v47fddK6FGmnKM:

I've seen the spec sheets. Official numbers are the same as others but I'm now wondering if Srixon measures differently b/c every set i've ever seen that's supposed to be standard has been 1/2" long
  • thejuicethejuice Members Posts: 2,066 ✭✭
    2putttom wrote:

m5power wrote:

are these srixons 1/2" longer than most standard lengths? I picked up a set that is "standard" length but found them to be 1/2" longer than every other set that I have.
    https://www.bridgest...ng-forged-irons

https://www.google.c...=v47fddK6FGmnKM:

I see you play Mizuno irons. I work in the industry and it's a known thing that Mizuno's "standard" length is about 1/4" to 1/2" shorter than "normal" standard. Not sure if all of your other irons have been Mizuno but Srixons would definitely be longer than Mizunos.
    TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
    TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
    TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
    Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
    Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
    TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour
  • therealjonzonetherealjonzone Members Posts: 2,349 ✭✭
    thejuice wrote:

2putttom wrote:

I see you play Mizuno irons. I work in the industry and it's a known thing that Mizuno's "standard" length is about 1/4" to 1/2" shorter than "normal" standard. Not sure if all of your other irons have been Mizuno but Srixons would definitely be longer than Mizunos.

Actually, this is an untrue statement. Mizuno simply measures their clubs without the grip which equates to the 1/4" difference.
    edited Sep 18, 2017 #95
    thejuice wrote:

2putttom wrote:

Actually, this is an untrue statement. Mizuno simply measures their clubs without the grip which equates to the 1/4" difference.

So...if they measure their clubs differently than everyone else, but they say their standard length is "x" while another company's standard length is "y" (keep in mind the standard for most company's would be the "y"), then it would be a known thing that the company that measures their irons as "x" have irons that are 1/4" shorter. Unless we start playing golf without grips. Then they would be standard.
    TaylorMade Spider Black

• SefSef Members Posts: 906 ✭✭
    I really need to hit these. Skipped over them because the Z745 was a hook machine in my hands but I should probably give them a try.
    Ping G400 Max - Speeder Evolution IV 757 X
    TEE CBX - Diamana S+ 70TX
    Cobra King Utility - AD DI 95X
    Ping i210 4-9 - DG X100
    Glide 2.0 Stealth 46, 51, 56, and 60 - DG X100
    Cameron & Crown M1
    thejuice wrote:

thejuice wrote:

2putttom wrote:

So...if they measure their clubs differently than everyone else, but they say their standard length is "x" while another company's standard length is "y" (keep in mind the standard for most company's would be the "y"), then it would be a known thing that the company that measures their irons as "x" have irons that are 1/4" shorter. Unless we start playing golf without grips. Then they would be standard.

If you hold them side by side with the grips on, most of the OEM players irons are the same....Mizzy just measures their reported specs with the grips off.
    Ok. You're saying the same thing I originally said but if it makes you feel better to say it your way I'm good with that.

If I were to order Mizuno irons, I'd have to order them 1.25 inches over standard (just about everyone else I order 1 inch over standard). That means Mizuno is shorter. Ok. Let's carry on with our lives. Srixon Z-765 rules!!!
    TaylorMade Spider Black

• Hemme427Hemme427 Members Posts: 12
    Played a 565/765 combo set 4-6 7-p for the last 4 months never really fel in love with them
  • lewisbeardwelllewisbeardwell Members Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited Sep 19, 2017 #100
    Have a mixed set of 765/965 in X-Stiff Modus and really like them, the feel of them has never really knocked my socks off but it's not something I look for tbh.

Can flight the ball well with them and gained a few yards over my old S56s probably due to loft but never have any trouble stopping them on greens as I have a high ball flight.

I've been using them since April and they're just quality irons, not really fell in love with them so to say but I never have been that way with golf clubs, I get something and use it for a few years to get my money's worth then if I find something I like more a change, im my 3 years of playing I'm a mercany with clubs so far
  • KaexoKaexo Members Posts: 671 ✭✭
    Srixon are like Ping. No nonsense and make excellent equipment. They also are like Ping in the sense I respect them for not releasing 20 different irons two/three times a year.

Sadly Titelist are finding themselves in the same boat at Callaway and Taylormade anymore.

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,004 ✭✭
    Hemme427 wrote:

Played a 565/765 combo set 4-6 7-p for the last 4 months never really fel in love with them
    Shheesh mopar guy's image/no2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':no2:' />
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • a_gorillaa_gorilla Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    Love these irons! Replaced my Callaway Apex '14, and I'm loving the v-sole. Nothing feels better than hitting trap draws with the 4 iron.
    Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*
    3w: Callaway Epic SZ 13.5*
    2i: Cobra King Utility 18*
    4-PW: Callaway Apex '14
    50*/54*: Cleveland RTX 3 V-MG
    60*: Vokey SM7 D Grind
    Odyssey O-Works 1W
    TP5x
    edited Sep 20, 2017 #104
    Gents, if you're looking for a standard set of 765, with PX 6.0, 4-GW please PM Me
  • collje26collje26 Members Posts: 542 ✭✭
    If anyone is looking to move their u65/765/965 combo set or 765/965 with the new release of the 785's i'm in the market!
    Ping G400 Max 9 Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Blue 80tx
    Ping G 17.5 Rombax P95x
    Callaway Apex Pro Smoke 3 DG TI S400
    Callaway Apex MB Raw 4-P PX 6.5
    Callaway MD Forged 54/60 PX 6.5
    Toulon Austin
    ProV1/ProV1x
  • AKFLYAKFLY ClubWRX Posts: 197
    collje26 wrote:
    If anyone is looking to move their u65/765/965 combo set or 765/965 with the new release of the 785's i'm in the market!

I have a set of 765’s 5-pw in the bst
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]
    [background=transparent]taylormade_small_logo_blk.png 2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Silver 70S[/background]
    [/font]
    [background=transparent]ksfSEag.png[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]915 F2 16.5 Diamana Blue Board 70[/font][/background]
    [/font]
    [background=transparent]ksfSEag.png[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]H1 3 - Aldila Rogue[/font][/background]
    [/font]
    [background=transparent]iDRdfVu.png [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]900 Forged 4-GW Project XLZ 5.5[/font][/background]
    [/font]
    [font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]
    [background=transparent][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]jWakdRa.png [/font][/background]
    [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]
    [background=transparent][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]54S & 60M X100 [/font]SS1[/font][/background]
    [/font]
    [font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]
    [background=transparent][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]ZSoHrb9.png[/font][/background]
    [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]
    [background=transparent][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]AOP Newport 2[/font][/background]
    [/font]
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,173 ✭✭
    Loved the look of the Srixons when I got fitted last year. My numbers were just a tad better with the JPX 900 forged so I went with those. But, I have a fondness for the Srixons. Nice irons...
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
  • mukstermukster Is this the year? North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,524 ✭✭
    Mine will stay in the bag for yet another season.
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood, Tensei Blue shaft
    Nickent 3D 3 hybrid, generic shaft
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,668 ✭✭
    My home course hosted a fairly large junior tournament this weekend. Golfers between 12 and 18 years old for the most part, it appeared. Good players from some of the local, prestigious golf academies. I made a point of checking out their bags to see what they were playing. I saw an awful lot of these irons in play. Probably the most represented brand in all of the bags, surprisingly. There were definitely a fair share of Callaways, titlists, and Taylormade‘s, but the Srixons were very, very popular.
  • 300_Straight300_Straight Members Posts: 964 ✭✭
    I tried both the 765 and 785 and they felt great...but I have a couple dilemmas.

#1 - I hit the 765s in a half-priced fitting...tried the S400 shafts and Modus 105 stiff. I didn't hit them great with either of those shafts. I then tried the 785s (on a different day) with the Modus 120 stiff and was hitting them GREAT. Loved the look, feel and performance of them. Are the 785s really that different? I imagine the answer is no, and the Modus 120 stiff just fit my swing better.

# 2 - The 765s are ~30% cheaper than the 785s. The only problem is, NEW, I can only find the 765s with the Modus 120 stiff. I swing the 7i ~100mph and fear they may be too soft for my swing.

Decisions.....
    King LTD Pro 7.5 F / Pro Orange 70TX Tipped 3/4" -- 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    Srixon z745 3-PW -- Modus 130x
    50/8f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

Old Odyssey Mallet
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    785 with Modus 105 reg. works for me. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • FOOTJOY16FOOTJOY16 Members Posts: 740 ✭✭
    just got a set of 785's today.. first time with Srixon....we'll see
    Titleist TS 4 as soon as I can get one
    Titleist TS 3 15.0
    Titleist 718 MB's 
    Vokey SM7 56M 08, 60L04
    Scotty Newport Button Back or
    Scotty Select 1/500 Newport
  • NudgerNudger Members Posts: 25
    Well, I've just picked up my new set of 785's this very day. My previous set 745/945 combo have done me 4 years and are still in great condition. Over the last few months I've tried most irons from Callaway, Titliest, Ping, Taylormade and Mizuno. Funnily enough my intention 4 years ago was to upgrade from my well used MP53s to a newer Mizuno set. That's where Srixon came in and after trying many irons over many years, I do it for fun, I can honestly say Srixon are in my opinion making the best forged irons out there...especially taking price into account. Over here in Scotland you can get them with almost any shaft at no extra charge.
    Callaway Fusion driver Hzrdus shaft.
    TM V steel II 5 wood with UST recoil shaft.
    Titleist 909 17 degree hybrid.
    Titleist 909 21 degree hybrid.
    Srixon Z 785 irons Modus 105 shafts.
    Vokey 200 series 51 and 58.
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,210 ClubWRX

I tried both the 765 and 785 and they felt great...but I have a couple dilemmas.

#1 - I hit the 765s in a half-priced fitting...tried the S400 shafts and Modus 105 stiff. I didn't hit them great with either of those shafts. I then tried the 785s (on a different day) with the Modus 120 stiff and was hitting them GREAT. Loved the look, feel and performance of them. Are the 785s really that different? I imagine the answer is no, and the Modus 120 stiff just fit my swing better.

# 2 - The 765s are ~30% cheaper than the 785s. The only problem is, NEW, I can only find the 765s with the Modus 120 stiff. I swing the 7i ~100mph and fear they may be too soft for my swing.

Decisions.....

The 785 is a little more compact, more like the 745. Some say the 785 is less forgiving than the 765 but if so it would be slight. The 765 probably has a little higher MOI due to larger profile.

They are pretty similar in most respects. Srixon refined the v-sole on the 785. Overall I think they have improved it with the changes, which may or may not be substantial enough to give you a performance difference. I plan to game the 785 in upcoming season. I think it’s a great iron, just the right size. And I really like the set gap wedge.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • beaneybeaney Members Posts: 230 ✭✭
    I’m still loving my 765s.

I’ve been reading a few of the threads about the 785s and of course they look great, but I have no desire to change......which is strange!

There seem to be a lot of people who don’t like the shape of the 765s, but I love them. They may be a little larger than some, but I honestly doubt there’s a more forgiving iron of that size - it still amazes me how I get away with some of the shots I hit with them!

I’m 2 years in and love them as much as I did on the day they arrived.

I still haven’t played with another person who’s had them in their bag.............they just don’t seem to be that common in the UK which gets people asking about them!
    Taylormade M2 2017
    Mizuno MX700 3W
    Titleist 909h 19*
    Srixon U65 23*
    Srixon Z765 5-PW
    Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • Kirch17Kirch17 Members Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited Nov 7, 2018 #116

Decisions.....
    There is about 20g difference between a s400 and modus 105, that could have been your issue. If you hit the 785 well with the Modus 120S why wouldn't that work with the 765? That being said a 100mph 7i would prob fit a X or TX better.
    I hit these indoors today. Are they as long on the course as in the simulator? I'm currently playing MP18 MBs, and the 765s were a solid club longer. Seemed to launch and spin lower than most players irons. Is that consistent with what others have found?
  • littletimbo182littletimbo182 Members Posts: 437 ✭✭
    BCULAW wrote:

I hit these indoors today. Are they as long on the course as in the simulator? I'm currently playing MP18 MBs, and the 765s were a solid club longer. Seemed to launch and spin lower than most players irons. Is that consistent with what others have found?

Yes lofts are slightly stronger with these compared to other irons in the same category. Also TXG did a great video on these irons and said these are perfect for the player trying to reduce some spin. But at the same time, if you are already a low spin player you should probably steer clear of them.
    edited Nov 7, 2018 #119

BCULAW wrote:

Yes lofts are slightly stronger with these compared to other irons in the same category. Also TXG did a great video on these irons and said these are perfect for the player trying to reduce some spin. But at the same time, if you are already a low spin player you should probably steer clear of them.

That's actually music to my ears.

I haven't hit these outdoors and likely won't have the option without purchasing. Is the v-sole hit or miss, or is it pretty well liked by all?
  • BoognishBoognish Houston, TXMembers Posts: 718 ✭✭
    beaney wrote:

I’m still loving my 765s.

I’ve been reading a few of the threads about the 785s and of course they look great, but I have no desire to change......which is strange!

There seem to be a lot of people who don’t like the shape of the 765s, but I love them. They may be a little larger than some, but I honestly doubt there’s a more forgiving iron of that size - it still amazes me how I get away with some of the shots I hit with them!

I’m 2 years in and love them as much as I did on the day they arrived.

I am in the same boat! Still shocked by the forgiveness of the 765s. My iron play has never been better. I did replace the PW, but the 5/6/7 engender supreme confidence in me.
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 8* / Fuji Speeder Evo II 569-S
    Callaway XR16 14* / Fubuki AX f75-S
    Callaway X2Hot 5Deep 18.5*/ Aldila Tour Green 75-S
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* & 23* / Fuji Pro 83-S
    Srixon z765 5-9 / Modus 120-S
    Mizuno S18 46*
    Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 52*
    Callaway PM Grind 58*
    Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
  • littletimbo182littletimbo182 Members Posts: 437 ✭✭
    BCULAW wrote:

BCULAW wrote:

That's actually music to my ears.

I haven't hit these outdoors and likely won't have the option without purchasing. Is the v-sole hit or miss, or is it pretty well liked by all?

Pretty well liked, I believe if you have a steep angle of attack you will notice it a little more and it will help more. If you have a shallow attack angle it won’t hurt you or anything you just won’t notice it as much. Great irons regardless!