2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Reshafting a set of Irons

millercg

How much?
I currently have a set of Cleveland TA6 irons that I'm thinking of keeping as my backup set of irons. I have the Stock "R" flex DG ActionLite shafts in them. It's been recommended on several occasions that I should play a Stiff flex shaft. I would just trade them in for a new set of TA6's in the stiff flex, but it appears as though Cleveland is phasing these irons out now, so availablilty is becoming a problem (other than ebay). So, rather than go through the search for a new set, I thought I would look into having new shafts and grips put on my current set.

I went to a golf store chain in the Northeast Ohio area, and they quoted me $35 per club for new shafts and grips. Seems like one heck of a mark up to me. How much should I expect to pay per club for new shafts (could either be DG S300, or the ActionLite "S" flex) and grips (Golf Pride Tour Velvet's were the stock, and they work fine for me)?

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's start thinking as fair as possible here.

Say he is a decent "cut and glue shop" w/ a decent skill, He need at least 2 hrs from start to finish to build a set 3-p w/ steel shaft, and please consider his investment, insurance and all his expenses and other factors also.

How much do you think he need to get paid per hr? How many % do you think is fair for him to make a profit on the parts?

joe

That's why I'm asking here. I would expect some charge per club for the labor and other aspects of reshafting a set, but I thought $35 per club was a little much, so I thought I would post the question here.

Joe,

How much would you charge on a per club basis for this type of work? (Ballpark)

Thanks

Here are the 5 hrs blueprinting are base on 3 - PW:

Let's start from checking the lie and loft that i'm trying to get, because if they are to far apart, it might effect on the swing weight if i bend them after they are done and make sure that the club head are protected at all sides to minimize the bending machine marking( 35-45 minutes ), second pulling the shaft out and clean up the hosel and mark the weight one by one( 45 - 50 minutes ), Check the depth of the hosel to make sure they are consistent to received a new shaft ( 10-15 minutes ), Prep all the shafts tip and put it in the spined finder and mark them one by one ( 20 - 25 minutes ), Measure the shaft one by one on the measuring board to make sure the lenght is exactly at 1/2" increments ( 20 -25 minutes ). weight sort the grips one by one to make sure all 8 grips are the same weight ( 10-15 minutes ), installed the wooden dowel at the same depth from the tip, put on the grips and make sure it line up straight and consistently strecth ( on cord is critical for sizing ), installed ferrules ( all that for 30-40 minutes ), swing weight them one by one and mark them for lead plug adjustment ( 15-20 minutes ), install a lead plug and swing weight them one by one to make sure it's within MY exceptable tolerance of 1/8 of a point ( 30-40 minutes ), mixed the glue and glue them one by one and make sure the spined position is on the right consistent spot and make sure they have the same amount of glue to maintain a consistent swing weight( 15-20 minutes ), let the glue dried at least 8-10 hrs. Turn the ferrule one by one and shine them up w/ acetone ( 25 - 30 minutes ), Double check the loft and lie ( 15 to 20 minutes ), clean them up w/ car wax from acetone residue ( 10 -15 minutes ). DONE!

So if i calculate on the minimum estimated time, i spend about 4 hrs and 40 minutes assuming i'm not running any trouble, give 20 minutes for trouble solving which require me to call the customer to discuss most of the time.

Call me a meticulous freak, but I can't help it...that is who I am and how I work. :wave: And That is how I think a customers expect me to be when they are paying at my rate.

The fastest record i did before was 4hrs 20 minutes for a set belong to a PGA touring pro who were waiting on the spot while i'm working on them which requires me to heat the hosel to speed up the epoxy curing time ( around 1-2 minutes per club ), but it's all worth it and satisfying watching him shot his low round 61 record on TV on the next tournament right after. And Yes, I got a set of tour issue iron from him that wasn't release to the public yet and a big hug for all that trouble. :stop:

Do i need to add the amount of time for me to get a few advils after blueprinting a set of iron? :drag: And the crap talk i got from a friends when i play bad due to my sore fingers. :)

Joe :cheesy:

ps: I forgot the part of checking the cpm on the freq machine one by one to make sure nothing extra ordinary that could be unexceptable for me ( 10-15 minutes ).

In addition to my last post.

Bare in mind that as much as possible the shafts are presorted and checked for CPM consistentcy ( 2-3 cpm tolerance ) on my freq machine, eventhough they are supposed to come presorted already from the manufacturer. Brunswick call it Frequency Match!

And also not to forgot the time I spend on a fitting phone call trying to figure out what they need mentally and physically.

Joe

Thanks Joe,

I appreciate the explaination of what goes on with reshafting irons. I'm not a clubmaker (although I may take it up as a hobby) so it was good to see what goes into it. If it took 2 hours or 5 hours, that doesn't make much of a difference to me as an "end user". Once I drop a club off to be reshafted, I would pretty much consider the club "out for the day". But this helps see why they quoted me the price they did.

Well, it looks like I'll just keep my TA6's with their current shafts. The golf gods sent me a sign yesterday that I shouldn't mess with the TA6's. While driving on the highway, a good sized scrap piece of metal came flying at my car form the middle lane, and took out my passenger side mirror. Looks the money I was going to use to reshaft my irons is going to my car. :)

On the bright side, it could have been worse. If I didn't swurve to miss it, it would have hit the windshield.

I think what Joe is saying is that its not unreasonable amount of money, for someone of Joe's skill/dedication/quality. I would agree with that, but I think the reason why I think $35 is too much for you is because you are brining it to a chain that does club repair. Not all clubmakers are created equal. Maybe that shop has someone that is really good but you don't know. I used to work for a large chain and did club repair, we had about 5 guys that worked on clubs and only 2-3 of us really cared about it and would take the lie and loft, swing wieght measurements etc... before and then adjust to get them back to spec. The other guys were just some chops that had worked their long enough and could "get the work done". So I would just becareful, try to find someone you can trust or who has a good reputation because they can certainly be worth it!!!