*** 11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, Passwords were reset to users potentially effected. If you were among these users and have any issues resetting your password, please email [email protected] We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Things to do while waiting for Bandon

2456789
9

Comments

  • The PearlThe Pearl  1982Members Posts: 1,982
    Joined:  #32
    spud3 wrote:

    Edaw68 wrote:

    The Pearl wrote:
    spud3 wrote:


    Reviving this thread because we're 3 1/2 weeks out and the Bandon Bug is biting hard. Re-reading this helps...



    ...sorta....




    Looks like we will be up there around the same time. The weather forecast out until mid-Feb is extraordinary, mid to high 50s and virtually no rain. I am in full fledged panic mode that mean reversion will kick in and the end of the month will revert to "ark-building" storms.


    Positive thoughts only!!




    Yes, it's time for the teeth-gnashing about how good the weather is now vs. what it will be like in three weeks...



    I try to breathe deeply and remember that every time I've gone, while I may have a day or so (if that) of Monsoon, the rest have all worked out fine.



    I will go, I will play, I will love it.



    Pearl - what are your dates?




    24th to 28th.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • spud3spud3 Portland, OR 1708Members Posts: 1,708
    Joined:  #33
    buzlin wrote:


    We've avoided any of the insane sustained rains in our last few trips, so we've probably jinxed it for you guys. That said, two sets of gore-tex, two fully water proof pairs of shoes, and H2NO bags are prep'd and ready.



    Spud, will hit you up via message and see if we can all (Edaw and WIPM, yeah) grab a beer at Punchbowl or McKees or Shorty's etc..............monday probably works best since we only have a 10 am on Trails.




    Be sure to bring some of that Pappy...
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • spud3spud3 Portland, OR 1708Members Posts: 1,708
    Joined:  #34
    The Pearl wrote:

    spud3 wrote:

    Edaw68 wrote:

    The Pearl wrote:
    spud3 wrote:


    Reviving this thread because we're 3 1/2 weeks out and the Bandon Bug is biting hard. Re-reading this helps...



    ...sorta....




    Looks like we will be up there around the same time. The weather forecast out until mid-Feb is extraordinary, mid to high 50s and virtually no rain. I am in full fledged panic mode that mean reversion will kick in and the end of the month will revert to "ark-building" storms.


    Positive thoughts only!!




    Yes, it's time for the teeth-gnashing about how good the weather is now vs. what it will be like in three weeks...



    I try to breathe deeply and remember that every time I've gone, while I may have a day or so (if that) of Monsoon, the rest have all worked out fine.



    I will go, I will play, I will love it.



    Pearl - what are your dates?




    24th to 28th.




    Yep, we're all there at the same time - Buzlin, too. My spider-sense is tingling. We should call the PD clubhouse and have them clear out the Punchbowl...
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • SushiyoshiSushiyoshi  1184Members Posts: 1,184
    Joined:  #35
    16th-19th for me



    Time to start watching the weather but it's pretty much useless. Just gives me something to think about while at work! Last year there was forecast for heavy rain and it barely rained all four days.
    Posted:
  • mallratmallrat  3072Members Posts: 3,072
    Joined:  #36
    Anyone there March 23-25? I’m thinking we will have room at Sheep Ranch on the 23
    Posted:
  • jkaisrlikjkaisrlik  26Members Posts: 26
    Joined:  #37
    Going for my first trip April 19th and 20th getting excited but I'm also worried about the one word every golfer hates to hear. Aeration. Any ideas when they aerate the greens and if they are the plinko boards for a couple weeks after like Florida? Do they Aerate all four courses at once?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • spud3spud3 Portland, OR 1708Members Posts: 1,708
    Joined:  #38
    Just came up with a couple new (and, actually, legit) activities:



    1. re-upping the DWR waterproofing on the GoreTex gear. This entails washing with Nikwax Tech wash and then treating with the Nikwax TX.

    2. Same for all the footwear. Nikwax makes a sponge-on product that I'm going to give a try this year.



    All my heavy rain gear is old enough and been through the wash enough that the DWR coating on the fabric needs some replenishing. Gotta see the water beading...



    Other than that, I'm running out of ways to occupy my time.



    If you haven't checked out the course cams in the last couple days, you probably shouldn't. Suffice to say those who gambled on a February date this week are hitting the jackpot.



    Now, if it can just hold for three more weeks...
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm oot. Canadian in California 9417Members Posts: 9,417
    Joined:  #39
    mallrat wrote:


    Anyone there March 23-25? I'm thinking we will have room at Sheep Ranch on the 23




    I might be up in Vancouver that week - but I will keep a check on that!

    Before I ended up playing down in Monterey last weekend, I thought I might try to go to Bandon over Presidents Day to see SR before they shut it down.
    Posted:
  • Bholden52Bholden52  96Members Posts: 96
    Joined:  edited Feb 8, 2018 #40
    mallrat wrote:


    Anyone there March 23-25? I'm thinking we will have room at Sheep Ranch on the 23




    Man, so close, I arrive in Bandon on March 25th



    Question for everyone, I'm a Bandon rookie. I walk all my rounds and typically use laser for yardage. Should I get a caddie or no caddie? If you say Caddie, any names you recommend?
    Posted:
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm oot. Canadian in California 9417Members Posts: 9,417
    Joined:  #41
    Bholden52 wrote:

    mallrat wrote:


    Anyone there March 23-25? I'm thinking we will have room at Sheep Ranch on the 23




    Man, so close, I arrive in Bandon on March 25th



    Question for everyone, I'm a Bandon rookie. I walk all my rounds and typically use laser for yardage. Should I get a caddie or no caddie? If you say Caddie, any names you recommend?




    That's an existential question that is image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

    Been 7 times, never taken a caddy, never missed not having one. Others will say the opposite.
    Posted:
  • Bholden52Bholden52  96Members Posts: 96
    Joined:  #42
    I figured I was walking into that
    duffer987 wrote:

    Bholden52 wrote:

    mallrat wrote:


    Anyone there March 23-25? I'm thinking we will have room at Sheep Ranch on the 23




    Man, so close, I arrive in Bandon on March 25th



    Question for everyone, I'm a Bandon rookie. I walk all my rounds and typically use laser for yardage. Should I get a caddie or no caddie? If you say Caddie, any names you recommend?




    That's an existential question that is image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

    Been 7 times, never taken a caddy, never missed not having one. Others will say the opposite.




    I figured that's what I was asking/starting. I will probably stick with my instincts and say No Caddie.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • kaschreiberkaschreiber Seattle, WA 132Members Posts: 132
    Joined:  #43
    Bholden52 wrote:


    I figured I was walking into that
    duffer987 wrote:

    Bholden52 wrote:

    mallrat wrote:


    Anyone there March 23-25? I'm thinking we will have room at Sheep Ranch on the 23




    Man, so close, I arrive in Bandon on March 25th



    Question for everyone, I'm a Bandon rookie. I walk all my rounds and typically use laser for yardage. Should I get a caddie or no caddie? If you say Caddie, any names you recommend?




    That's an existential question that is image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

    Been 7 times, never taken a caddy, never missed not having one. Others will say the opposite.




    I figured that's what I was asking/starting. I will probably stick with my instincts and say No Caddie.




    I was adamant we wouldn't need a caddie, but buddy insisted on it, and I definitely think it helped. I'd suggest Wyeth or Andy. That said, I get the appeal of not taking one. There are a lot of sprinkler head yardages, coupled with your range finder, you should be fine on yardages. But there were 4-6 shots a round that I'd think I had the line I wanted to take on the tee or an approach that our caddie would tell me I needed to aim farther left or right, and they definitely kept me from going in the trouble. Similar story reading greens. My guess: you're not going to regret taking one if you do, but you're also not going to regret going it alone (ignoring the cost).
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 9* +1
    Callaway Rogue 5w
    TaylorMade M3 3h 19*
    TaylorMade M4 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black: 52/14*, 56/14*, 60/4*
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

    Courses I've Played
  • mallratmallrat  3072Members Posts: 3,072
    Joined:  #44
    Bholden52 wrote:


    I figured I was walking into that
    duffer987 wrote:

    Bholden52 wrote:

    mallrat wrote:


    Anyone there March 23-25? I'm thinking we will have room at Sheep Ranch on the 23




    Man, so close, I arrive in Bandon on March 25th



    Question for everyone, I'm a Bandon rookie. I walk all my rounds and typically use laser for yardage. Should I get a caddie or no caddie? If you say Caddie, any names you recommend?




    That's an existential question that is image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

    Been 7 times, never taken a caddy, never missed not having one. Others will say the opposite.




    I figured that's what I was asking/starting. I will probably stick with my instincts and say No Caddie.




    I’m firmly in the caddie group but I will say it depends on a few things. I’ve been somewhere north of 10 times and have used caddies all but the last couple. I love taking a caddie if the funds are there but the last 2 years I was trying not to spend too much. They are almost all great guys and great company. Not a double bag fan though.



    If you get one ask for Kent. Super relaxed guy.



    Funny story we each put $25 in a pot and which caddie stuck it closest on Trails #17 (I believe, the last longer par 3) took it all. They were telling us about a group of 24 that comes in and does that but with $100 from everyone in the group. He was saying the caddies team up and a bunch of stuff. Sounded fun and $2400 is a healthy chunk of change for 1 shot. And they have to use the groups clubs, can’t bring their own.



    Posted:
  • spud3spud3 Portland, OR 1708Members Posts: 1,708
    Joined:  #45
    Bholden52 wrote:


    I figured I was walking into that
    duffer987 wrote:

    Bholden52 wrote:

    mallrat wrote:


    Anyone there March 23-25? I'm thinking we will have room at Sheep Ranch on the 23




    Man, so close, I arrive in Bandon on March 25th



    Question for everyone, I'm a Bandon rookie. I walk all my rounds and typically use laser for yardage. Should I get a caddie or no caddie? If you say Caddie, any names you recommend?




    That's an existential question that is image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

    Been 7 times, never taken a caddy, never missed not having one. Others will say the opposite.




    I figured that's what I was asking/starting. I will probably stick with my instincts and say No Caddie.




    You'll be fine, either way.
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • krtgolfingkrtgolfing  1073Members Posts: 1,073
    Joined:  #46
    I’m doing Monterey this year with my dad. 2019 needs to be Bandon! Need to get these off the bucket list before the miss wants kids! All the courses seem to be fantastic!
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Kingston Putters KP2
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm oot. Canadian in California 9417Members Posts: 9,417
    Joined:  #47
    krtgolfing wrote:


    I'm doing Monterey this year with my dad. 2019 needs to be Bandon! Need to get these off the bucket list before the miss wants kids! All the courses seem to be fantastic!




    It is a ticking clock image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

    Me and my mate did 4/5 trips a year, then child 1 knocked it down to 2/3, child 2 has knocked it down to Bandon only starting this year. Fortunately I'm OK going places on my own.

    Best to keep an eye on when Bandon opens up their tee sheets for 2019 (actually they probably they already have) as things get filled earlier and earlier each year.

    We booked our foursome in for Thanksgiving '18 a month ago and they were already struggling with room availability for 4 straight nights.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • spud3spud3 Portland, OR 1708Members Posts: 1,708
    Joined:  #48
    duffer987 wrote:

    krtgolfing wrote:


    I'm doing Monterey this year with my dad. 2019 needs to be Bandon! Need to get these off the bucket list before the miss wants kids! All the courses seem to be fantastic!




    It is a ticking clock image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

    Me and my mate did 4/5 trips a year, then child 1 knocked it down to 2/3, child 2 has knocked it down to Bandon only starting this year. Fortunately I'm OK going places on my own.

    Best to keep an eye on when Bandon opens up their tee sheets for 2019 (actually they probably they already have) as things get filled earlier and earlier each year.

    We booked our foursome in for Thanksgiving '18 a month ago and they were already struggling with room availability for 4 straight nights.




    Indeed. I was not on the ball when Feb 19 opened up in January and it was completely full three weeks later. Almost missed March, too.
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • glaarsglaars  46Members Posts: 46
    Joined:  #49
    mallrat wrote:


    Anyone there March 23-25? I'm thinking we will have room at Sheep Ranch on the 23




    We'll be up there the 22nd - 26th, first trip for our threesome. Sounds like we'll be seeing a few of you at the Bunker & the Punchbowl!
    Posted:
  • payerasjlpayerasjl  798Members Posts: 798
    Joined:  #50
    20-24 right here. Second trip but first during February. Wife of the year gifted as a little anniversary gift so it’ll just be the 2 of us and she doesn’t play.
    Posted:
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying
  • Bholden52Bholden52  96Members Posts: 96
    Joined:  #51
    glaars wrote:

    mallrat wrote:


    Anyone there March 23-25? I'm thinking we will have room at Sheep Ranch on the 23




    We'll be up there the 22nd - 26th, first trip for our threesome. Sounds like we'll be seeing a few of you at the Bunker & the Punchbowl!




    I arrive late on the 25th, but we have the 'draft' on that night. I'm sure we will end up at the bar afterwards so I may run into you
    Posted:
  • buzlinbuzlin NorCal 1005Members Posts: 1,005
    Joined:  #52
    spud3 wrote:


    Just came up with a couple new (and, actually, legit) activities:



    1. re-upping the DWR waterproofing on the GoreTex gear. This entails washing with Nikwax Tech wash and then treating with the Nikwax TX.

    2. Same for all the footwear. Nikwax makes a sponge-on product that I'm going to give a try this year.



    All my heavy rain gear is old enough and been through the wash enough that the DWR coating on the fabric needs some replenishing. Gotta see the water beading...



    Other than that, I'm running out of ways to occupy my time.



    If you haven't checked out the course cams in the last couple days, you probably shouldn't. Suffice to say those who gambled on a February date this week are hitting the jackpot.



    Now, if it can just hold for three more weeks...


    Just nikwax'd my jackets and pants and hat and a pair of shoes. Talk about beading! Now they won't weigh 50 lbs by the time we finish our rounds. I didn't realize how much residual detergent I had in my jackets that messed up the bead action. Also breathability should be back too. Sweet.
    Posted:
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    915F 15, Rogue Black stiff
    913H, 19, 21, Tour Green stiff
    Miura CB57 4/5-pw KBS Tour stiff (or Tourstage 909 4/5-pw)
    Vokey, SM6, 50F, 54S, 58M
    Never Compromise Portofino
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm oot. Canadian in California 9417Members Posts: 9,417
    Joined:  #53
    buzlin wrote:

    spud3 wrote:


    Just came up with a couple new (and, actually, legit) activities:



    1. re-upping the DWR waterproofing on the GoreTex gear. This entails washing with Nikwax Tech wash and then treating with the Nikwax TX.

    2. Same for all the footwear. Nikwax makes a sponge-on product that I'm going to give a try this year.



    All my heavy rain gear is old enough and been through the wash enough that the DWR coating on the fabric needs some replenishing. Gotta see the water beading...



    Other than that, I'm running out of ways to occupy my time.



    If you haven't checked out the course cams in the last couple days, you probably shouldn't. Suffice to say those who gambled on a February date this week are hitting the jackpot.



    Now, if it can just hold for three more weeks...


    Just nikwax'd my jackets and pants and hat and a pair of shoes. Talk about beading! Now they won't weigh 50 lbs by the time we finish our rounds. I didn't realize how much residual detergent I had in my jackets that messed up the bead action. Also breathability should be back too. Sweet.


    Nikwax? I just googled that. How much wear you reckon you are getting out of your Goretex before a freshen up?

    I'm off to the UK for two weeks in May/June and I doubt I will be able to avoid rain every day.
    Posted:
  • spud3spud3 Portland, OR 1708Members Posts: 1,708
    Joined:  #54
    My ZR jacket and pants are in their third year, and I have noticed a lack of beading for the past couple times I've been out in heavy rain. I think I will make this an annual ritual, probably in prep for the pilgrimage to Bandon.



    That's where it is most important.
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • SushiyoshiSushiyoshi  1184Members Posts: 1,184
    Joined:  #55
    Ugh..looks like weather is turning worse for the weekend and next week. Gonna be cold compared to previous two weeks.
    Posted:
  • buzlinbuzlin NorCal 1005Members Posts: 1,005
    Joined:  #56
    You're supposed to get something like 200 washes from high quality gear? What I had a problem with was poor rinsing of normal laundry detergent. Which really messed up the beading. Once I rinsed my gear really well and dried it, it improved greatly. I went ahead and washed using tech wash and then tx direct wash in, per instructions, and the gear is like brand new. Pretty impressive. Regardless, I'd run your gear under the faucet and see how it does (back, shoulders, sleeves, thighs, etc....). Dirty and detergent really mess up the breathability and beadability.
    Posted:
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    915F 15, Rogue Black stiff
    913H, 19, 21, Tour Green stiff
    Miura CB57 4/5-pw KBS Tour stiff (or Tourstage 909 4/5-pw)
    Vokey, SM6, 50F, 54S, 58M
    Never Compromise Portofino
  • Edaw68Edaw68  1548Members Posts: 1,548
    Joined:  #57
    Sushiyoshi wrote:
    Ugh..looks like weather is turning worse for the weekend and next week. Gonna be cold compared to previous two weeks.


    I knew the last two weeks was too much to hope for. (Goes to bedroom to cry)
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • payerasjlpayerasjl  798Members Posts: 798
    Joined:  #58
    20-24 here, really hoping the rain stays away but past experiences tell me the reports dont mean much.
    Posted:
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying
  • SushiyoshiSushiyoshi  1184Members Posts: 1,184
    Joined:  #59
    Do I see frost on BD hole #10 on the live camera?

    And it will only get colder. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    Posted:
  • spud3spud3 Portland, OR 1708Members Posts: 1,708
    Joined:  #60
    There must have been a frost delay at PD, as I'm seeing at least four groups standing around the first tee.
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm oot. Canadian in California 9417Members Posts: 9,417
    Joined:  #61
    spud3 wrote:


    There must have been a frost delay at PD, as I'm seeing at least four groups standing around the first tee.


    Ah man, I just think I watched a guy hosel one. OK, turns out not a hosel, but way out right to the bunkers short of the hill. Group ahead is already walking down 2 and they are still hitting their second shots - sooooo easily to be critical from 1000s miles away image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

    Looks like there's one of those always wears shorts guys there too, lol.
    Posted:
9

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file