Things to do while waiting for Bandon

1234568
9

Comments

  • rtraudtrtraudt Members  1846WRX Points: 189Posts: 1,846 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #212
    duffer987 wrote:

    Edaw68 wrote:

    rtraudt wrote:
    Also, here's a quick question for the Bandon vets...I understand that the weather is highly variable, so should I have my waterproofs packed every day, even if the morning forecast looks perfect? It's not like they're heavy, so I was simply planning on packing them regardless, but wanted to see if that was being overly cautious.




    Look at the caddies in groups before yours. If all of them are wearing the white jumpsuit then you can probably leave the waterproofs behind. If they have waterproof gear on, bring yours.


    Love it! This is a fantastic locals weather top tip!

    Like at Lahinch when they say if the sheep start coming in, best to follow them.




    Fantastically simple tip, gonna have to keep that in the back of my mind next week. That being said, I'll probably play most days in a short sleeve waterproof/windshirt with my rain pants (amazingly comfortable PX5 stormforce from ProQuip, worth a try for those of you that haven't before) and my full length Galvin Green top in my bag (just in case).



    On another note, is there a shop at Bandon that is considered a better place to find deals relative to the others? Or one with simply a far better selection? I figured they would each have their own character like the courses.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ 10* ACCRA TZ6 
    Callaway Epic Flash 15* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
    TEE CBX 18* and CB Pro U 21* Matrix Altus 
    Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 52, 58 Nippon Modus 115
    Byron Morgan 612
    Shapland stand bag/CaddyTek
    Snell MTB Red
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9904WRX Points: 1,142Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,904 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #213
    Lodge gift shop is the giftiest.

    Bandon is the biggest pro shop, with the most stock by far. Then Pac and I'd say Old Mac and Trails are about the same.

    And you are correct that each will emphasize their own course in regards to logo'd merch.
    Posted:
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Members  1632WRX Points: 262Handicap: 5Posts: 1,632 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Jan 17, 2019 #214
    rtraudt wrote:

    duffer987 wrote:

    Edaw68 wrote:

    rtraudt wrote:
    Also, here's a quick question for the Bandon vets...I understand that the weather is highly variable, so should I have my waterproofs packed every day, even if the morning forecast looks perfect? It's not like they're heavy, so I was simply planning on packing them regardless, but wanted to see if that was being overly cautious.




    Look at the caddies in groups before yours. If all of them are wearing the white jumpsuit then you can probably leave the waterproofs behind. If they have waterproof gear on, bring yours.


    Love it! This is a fantastic locals weather top tip!

    Like at Lahinch when they say if the sheep start coming in, best to follow them.




    Fantastically simple tip, gonna have to keep that in the back of my mind next week. That being said, I'll probably play most days in a short sleeve waterproof/windshirt with my rain pants (amazingly comfortable PX5 stormforce from ProQuip, worth a try for those of you that haven't before) and my full length Galvin Green top in my bag (just in case).



    On another note, is there a shop at Bandon that is considered a better place to find deals relative to the others? Or one with simply a far better selection? I figured they would each have their own character like the courses.




    Each course has it's own pro shop with it's own course logo on most stuff. They all have the usual pro shop gear (hats, towels, shirts, balls, raingear, headcovers, etc) from various manufacturers. Prices aren't gonna be a whole lot different across the resort. The pro shop at Bandon Dunes is the largest with the most gear. The ones at Trails, Pacific, and Old Mac are smaller. If you check the online store on the resort you can get a good idea of the type of merchandise available. The biggest decision is probably what course logo you want.



    Duffer beat me to the enter button.
    Posted:
  • Matt JMatt J Members  8735WRX Points: 340Posts: 8,735 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #215
    The main pro shop usually has a half off rack although I didn't see it on Monday when I looked around.



    Inside the main lodge there is actually another small gift shop and it had some clothes for half off, but as you would expect colors, sizes, utility were suspect and various. I bought my second or third pink shirt from them. Evidently guys who play Bandon don't wear pink.



    Their stuff is clearly going to mostly be full retail, but they have a great selection and it doubles as a souvenir. The whole place is owned by one man, so he's not undercutting his own margin shop to shop. To be honest I don't really even understand "golf specific" layering. If I were not going to buy something with a logo, or made by a golf brand that I really like, then I would just go to Dick's or REI and be done with it. Can't understand using my vacation time to drive around looking for a good deal on golf clothes!?! And, I stand by my statement that if that's the MO then go to RedTail - their store has a massive tent sale all day every day with tons of good golf stuff. Their normal prices are a decent cut off of retail on most stuff.
    Posted:
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members  1846WRX Points: 189Posts: 1,846 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #216
    Matt J wrote:


    The main pro shop usually has a half off rack although I didn't see it on Monday when I looked around.



    Inside the main lodge there is actually another small gift shop and it had some clothes for half off, but as you would expect colors, sizes, utility were suspect and various. I bought my second or third pink shirt from them. Evidently guys who play Bandon don't wear pink.



    Their stuff is clearly going to mostly be full retail, but they have a great selection and it doubles as a souvenir. The whole place is owned by one man, so he's not undercutting his own margin shop to shop. To be honest I don't really even understand "golf specific" layering. If I were not going to buy something with a logo, or made by a golf brand that I really like, then I would just go to Dick's or REI and be done with it. Can't understand using my vacation time to drive around looking for a good deal on golf clothes!?! And, I stand by my statement that if that's the MO then go to RedTail - their store has a massive tent sale all day every day with tons of good golf stuff. Their normal prices are a decent cut off of retail on most stuff.




    I wholly agree with you regarding shopping during a vacation if there is something to get to, but as a solo who's on his own schedule and wouldn't even be getting to Bandon until after Sunset based on my arrival time into PDX, I figured it was the perfect opportunity to take a detour and just go to a big golf store and do a little shopping and look at the newer gear. I love looking at new clubs, and I very rarely get the opportunity to do it when not on vacation. Who knows, maybe fate will deliver my the answer to my recent driving woes, at least for a week!
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ 10* ACCRA TZ6 
    Callaway Epic Flash 15* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
    TEE CBX 18* and CB Pro U 21* Matrix Altus 
    Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 52, 58 Nippon Modus 115
    Byron Morgan 612
    Shapland stand bag/CaddyTek
    Snell MTB Red
  • Matt JMatt J Members  8735WRX Points: 340Posts: 8,735 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #217
    Fiddlers and Red Tail both have bays with launch monitors, so you could certainly hit some drivers.



    Enjoy and safe travels!
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • SushiyoshiSushiyoshi Members  1192WRX Points: 68Posts: 1,192 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #218
    rtraudt wrote:

    duffer987 wrote:

    Edaw68 wrote:

    rtraudt wrote:
    Also, here's a quick question for the Bandon vets...I understand that the weather is highly variable, so should I have my waterproofs packed every day, even if the morning forecast looks perfect? It's not like they're heavy, so I was simply planning on packing them regardless, but wanted to see if that was being overly cautious.




    Look at the caddies in groups before yours. If all of them are wearing the white jumpsuit then you can probably leave the waterproofs behind. If they have waterproof gear on, bring yours.


    Love it! This is a fantastic locals weather top tip!

    Like at Lahinch when they say if the sheep start coming in, best to follow them.




    Fantastically simple tip, gonna have to keep that in the back of my mind next week. That being said, I'll probably play most days in a short sleeve waterproof/windshirt with my rain pants (amazingly comfortable PX5 stormforce from ProQuip, worth a try for those of you that haven't before) and my full length Galvin Green top in my bag (just in case).



    On another note, is there a shop at Bandon that is considered a better place to find deals relative to the others? Or one with simply a far better selection? I figured they would each have their own character like the courses.




    I had a chance to try the PX5 over compression/thermal pants Monday when it was raining. Worked so good that I don't think I will need to bring any pants to Bandon next month!

    Also tried PX5 jacket but it got too warm. Switched to KJUS Dexter and it was awesome. So light you dont see like you are wearing it and it didnt restrict my swing at all. Will bring both with me but may not even touch the PX5 unless it gets really bad.
    Posted:
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members  1846WRX Points: 189Posts: 1,846 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #219
    Matt J wrote:


    Fiddlers and Red Tail both have bays with launch monitors, so you could certainly hit some drivers.



    Enjoy and safe travels!




    Thanks!
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ 10* ACCRA TZ6 
    Callaway Epic Flash 15* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
    TEE CBX 18* and CB Pro U 21* Matrix Altus 
    Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 52, 58 Nippon Modus 115
    Byron Morgan 612
    Shapland stand bag/CaddyTek
    Snell MTB Red
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members  1846WRX Points: 189Posts: 1,846 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #220
    Sushiyoshi wrote:

    rtraudt wrote:

    duffer987 wrote:

    Edaw68 wrote:

    rtraudt wrote:
    Also, here's a quick question for the Bandon vets...I understand that the weather is highly variable, so should I have my waterproofs packed every day, even if the morning forecast looks perfect? It's not like they're heavy, so I was simply planning on packing them regardless, but wanted to see if that was being overly cautious.




    Look at the caddies in groups before yours. If all of them are wearing the white jumpsuit then you can probably leave the waterproofs behind. If they have waterproof gear on, bring yours.


    Love it! This is a fantastic locals weather top tip!

    Like at Lahinch when they say if the sheep start coming in, best to follow them.




    Fantastically simple tip, gonna have to keep that in the back of my mind next week. That being said, I'll probably play most days in a short sleeve waterproof/windshirt with my rain pants (amazingly comfortable PX5 stormforce from ProQuip, worth a try for those of you that haven't before) and my full length Galvin Green top in my bag (just in case).



    On another note, is there a shop at Bandon that is considered a better place to find deals relative to the others? Or one with simply a far better selection? I figured they would each have their own character like the courses.




    I had a chance to try the PX5 over compression/thermal pants Monday when it was raining. Worked so good that I don't think I will need to bring any pants to Bandon next month!

    Also tried PX5 jacket but it got too warm. Switched to KJUS Dexter and it was awesome. So light you dont see like you are wearing it and it didnt restrict my swing at all. Will bring both with me but may not even touch the PX5 unless it gets really bad.




    If I plan on wearing the PX5 pants, thats the only way that I wear them. I can think of maybe two or three rounds where I wore them over something other than just compression pants and it was on a warm humid day that was just a chance of rain, so I had packed the pants. Interesting regarding the PX5 top, I wonder if that is improved with the PX6 version currently available.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ 10* ACCRA TZ6 
    Callaway Epic Flash 15* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
    TEE CBX 18* and CB Pro U 21* Matrix Altus 
    Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 52, 58 Nippon Modus 115
    Byron Morgan 612
    Shapland stand bag/CaddyTek
    Snell MTB Red
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9904WRX Points: 1,142Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,904 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #221
    ^In the end they're still rain trousers though. It's not a huge thing, but it is always nicer - for me anyways - to be in a pair of Uniqlo heatechs or regular Bonobos Highlands to the Proquip when playing.

    I actually bought some Mizuno Impermalite F20s to see if they were any more on the "normal" side of the rain trousers spectrum, but haven't wore them yet.



    That said, if it saves you some luggage space, but at least bring one pair of regular trousers for those days of zero rain*



    *This is not a guarantee you will get zero rain.
    Posted:
  • Matt JMatt J Members  8735WRX Points: 340Posts: 8,735 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #222
    duffer987 wrote:


    ^In the end they're still rain trousers though. It's not a huge thing, but it is always nicer - for me anyways - to be in a pair of Uniqlo heatechs or regular Bonobos Highlands to the Proquip when playing.

    I actually bought some Mizuno Impermalite F20s to see if they were any more on the "normal" side of the rain trousers spectrum, but haven't wore them yet.



    That said, if it saves you some luggage space, but at least bring one pair of regular trousers for those days of zero rain*



    *This is not a guarantee you will get zero rain.




    People have different theories, but I come over from having spent most of my adult life as a river and mountain guide and whole heartedly believe in layering. I only buy "summer weight" pants as I just wear base layer / tights under them. For rain pants I prefer something thin and packable that's very waterproof and typically don't buy "golf rain pants" but rather backpacking stuff made of Gore PacLite.



    Some days when it's 100% chance of rain all day, I wear a pair of heavier ski pants because they're more comfortable and have normal hip pockets, they're warm and can be worn with just a very light under layer or heavier fleece lined tights if necessary.



    Make sure you bring the cover for your bag, and remember it's just a 5 hour walk. Even if you get uncomfortable for a while it's over before you know it. The only real "extra" that I like although I won't take them to Scotland due to airport security is the real catalytic hand warmers you fill with white gas or some naphtha based fuel. I can deal with just about anything other than my hands being cold. Once my hands get numb playing golf seems like a poor way to spend time, I'll just bunt it around with a hybrid to keep from risking a stinger.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9904WRX Points: 1,142Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,904 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Feb 8, 2019 #223
    For me, my lastest 'while waiting' was playing the same music in the car and stopping at Dutch Bros, as if I was doing a Bandon drive, but was really driving from Texas to Cali.

    I really cannot stop at a Dutch Bros without thinking of Bandon image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />



    Edit: The landscape and size is kind of a give away that's in Phoenix and not Crescent City or Florence though.



    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • BigSky59BigSky59 Members  457WRX Points: 57Handicap: +3Posts: 457 Greens
    Joined:  #224
    Love this thread, wanted to give it a little bump. Leaving for Bandon in 2 weeks!
    Posted:
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Members  1632WRX Points: 262Handicap: 5Posts: 1,632 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #225
    BigSky59 wrote:


    Love this thread, wanted to give it a little bump. Leaving for Bandon in 2 weeks!


    Time to start the packing/repacking/unpacking/change packing dilemma.
    Posted:
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers  1834WRX Points: 425Posts: 1,834 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #226
    Edaw68 wrote:

    BigSky59 wrote:


    Love this thread, wanted to give it a little bump. Leaving for Bandon in 2 weeks!


    Time to start the packing/repacking/unpacking/change packing dilemma.




    Two weeks is the worst. Weather forecasts start becoming your daily prayer. And the lost work time while gazing at the course cams...
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • BigSky59BigSky59 Members  457WRX Points: 57Handicap: +3Posts: 457 Greens
    Joined:  #227
    thats exactly what i did today: course cams. going to start packing tonight
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BigSky59BigSky59 Members  457WRX Points: 57Handicap: +3Posts: 457 Greens
    Joined:  #228
    over the next 2 weeks, if any of you are playing tug o' war with someone else for control of the course cams, its probably me.
    Posted:
  • SushiyoshiSushiyoshi Members  1192WRX Points: 68Posts: 1,192 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #229
    I will be there on Friday. Flying in to PDX on Thursday and driving down Friday morning. May stop and play Florence depending on weather. Forecast doesn’t look so good. Hopefully roads are ok for the drive down.



    Tomorrow is prep day. Switching out bag, pack waterproof and warm gear, etc.



    I’ll be wired all week at work for sure.
    Posted:
  • Matt JMatt J Members  8735WRX Points: 340Posts: 8,735 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #230
    Weather is supposed to improve by the weekend. I'll bet you get nice weather!



    Skip Sand Pines. I'd much rather goof around at Shorty's or under the lights at the Punch Bowl.



    I lost respect for Rees Jones that he would even put his name on that design.
    Posted:
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members  7267WRX Points: 273Posts: 7,267 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #231
    Matt J wrote:


    Fiddlers and Red Tail both have bays with launch monitors, so you could certainly hit some drivers.






    GolfWRX sickness creeps in.

    Posted:
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Members  1632WRX Points: 262Handicap: 5Posts: 1,632 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #232
    Found a new one today. While booking hotel rooms for on the way to Bandon during the drive, freak out at the dates and think you've screwed up all your vacation plans when looking at the email from Bandon reservations. Then realize you're looking at next years trip that you've already booked, not the one in 3 weeks.



    Also spend too much at the liquor store while looking for the perfect flask filler.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • EdinburghgolferEdinburghgolfer Members  456WRX Points: 95Handicap: AimPosts: 456 Greens
    Joined:  #233
    I didn't want to start a new thread just for one question:



    Do the rooms in the Lodge have safes in them? I'm weighing up taking cash vs taking my $ on a pre-paid card.
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
    Cobra F8 3w w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Orange
    Callaway Rogue 5w w/ Oban Isawa Red
    Titleist 818 H1 hybrid w/ Oban Isawa Red
    Srixon z765 5-pw w/ Steelfiber
    Vokey SM7 52F, 56F, 60K w/ Steelfiber
    PXG Darkness Gunboat
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Members  1632WRX Points: 262Handicap: 5Posts: 1,632 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Feb 27, 2019 #234


    I didn't want to start a new thread just for one question:



    Do the rooms in the Lodge have safes in them? I'm weighing up taking cash vs taking my $ on a pre-paid card.




    Now that you mention it I don't remember seeing any safes. I'd just call the resort and ask. (they should have someone answering the reservations line in about 5 hours, since I assume by your screen name you're a bit ahead of us time wise)
    Posted:
  • payerasjlpayerasjl Members  853WRX Points: 103Posts: 853 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #235


    I didn't want to start a new thread just for one question:



    Do the rooms in the Lodge have safes in them? I'm weighing up taking cash vs taking my $ on a pre-paid card.




    i had one on my room at the inn, but the times ive stayed elsewhere i dont recall seeing one.
    Posted:
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying
  • EdinburghgolferEdinburghgolfer Members  456WRX Points: 95Handicap: AimPosts: 456 Greens
    Joined:  #236
    Thanks for the responses so far guys. I’ll give them a phone to confirm.
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
    Cobra F8 3w w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Orange
    Callaway Rogue 5w w/ Oban Isawa Red
    Titleist 818 H1 hybrid w/ Oban Isawa Red
    Srixon z765 5-pw w/ Steelfiber
    Vokey SM7 52F, 56F, 60K w/ Steelfiber
    PXG Darkness Gunboat
  • philsRHmanphilsRHman Members  1439WRX Points: 196Posts: 1,439 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #237
    Edaw68 wrote:


    Found a new one today. While booking hotel rooms for on the way to Bandon during the drive, freak out at the dates and think you've screwed up all your vacation plans when looking at the email from Bandon reservations. Then realize you're looking at next years trip that you've already booked, not the one in 3 weeks.



    Also spend too much at the liquor store while looking for the perfect flask filler.




    Whoa you just reminded me I never booked a car for next week. Now I’m in a panic.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers  1834WRX Points: 425Posts: 1,834 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Feb 28, 2019 #238
    There's only about 12 million rental cars available at PDX.



    It's probably the one thing you don't need a reservation for next week.
    Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • philsRHmanphilsRHman Members  1439WRX Points: 196Posts: 1,439 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #239
    spud3 wrote:


    There's only about 12 million rental cars available at PDX.



    It's probably the one thing you don't need a reservation for next week.




    Lol yeah, not a problem. Although I think prices have risen. I had $205 in my notes but now the best I found was $265 through Costco travel.
    Posted:
  • MichaelJScottMichaelJScott SchruteFarms Members  291WRX Points: 40Posts: 291 Greens
    Joined:  #240
    get the liver in shape
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • oregongolforegongolf Lefty Boomers  8606WRX Points: 190Posts: 8,606 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #241
    philsRHman wrote:

    spud3 wrote:


    There's only about 12 million rental cars available at PDX.



    It's probably the one thing you don't need a reservation for next week.




    Lol yeah, not a problem. Although I think prices have risen. I had $205 in my notes but now the best I found was $265 through Costco travel.




    Just get one through turo.
    Posted:
9

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.