Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Comments

• CStephenson17CStephenson17 ClubWRX Posts: 663 ClubWRX
    Great write up Q and Sean! Extremely jealous.
  • mackepamackepa #TheWRX Members Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 16, 2016 #1143
    Alright boys, i'm going to keep redundant pictures to a minimum and only try to post new material.

This trip was without a doubt the best golf experience of my life. Our trip kicked off with my man Johnny Rodriguez greeting us upon arrival and giving us our room keys and strict orders to clean up and meet at the bar for beers. I went straight to the room and was greeted by a bed full of swag/goodies depending on which side of 30 you are on. After arrival beers and introductions we decided to take quick naps before our first night at ECPC.

Up to this point we've been treated pretty darn well and were really kind of expecting similar treatment throughout the week but dinner at the ECPC was beyond anything we could have ever expected.

Full Bag Fitting:

Irons:

After breakfast we loaded the bus and headed back to the ECPC for our full back fitting. I made a bee line straight to Nick since we had worked together the night before. Nick and I started right off the bat with the irons. I already play the Callaway Apex Pro 16 irons with Project X 6.5 which were a pretty good fit already. We got a good base line with them and really noticed that they could be pretty tough to beat. Nick wanted me to try Modus 120's, Tour V's and C-Taper's. The Modus and C-Taper's were just ok. C-Tapers had a decently large dispersion range but the Modus were fairly tight. Even though the Modus dispersion were pretty good the launch and spin varied more than normal between solid strikes so we kicked it out of the equation. The Tour V's on the other hand were very, very consistent. The launch and spin were money and dispersion were right there as well. my ugly swings weren't wild misses like i've seen before. They were just good.

FInal Specs: We went with 5-PW at +3/4", 1* flat and 1* strong to keep spin down.

We also added a tweener club in there that ended up being a bit of a frankenstein. I told Nick I didn't feel like I hit my 4 iron that much farther than my 5 so we hit some balls with a 21* Utility and it was just a hair too long for my gap so it got bent 1* weak and slid right into that gap I needed. The Utility was build to the same specs as the irons except the paying length was left standard to match the progression.

The 2017 Driver:

Torrey Pines:

Oh, the last day of the trip. Bitter sweet. We got off the bus and saw all our clubs in a row right by the putting green. I played with Sean2, Dave Bartels and Nate Adelman. Torrey Pines is no joke. The rough was so thick that reaching a green from it was impossible. actually, the only green I reached from the rough was the hardest hole on the course. I hit a hybrid from the right rough on 4 from about 220 to about 15 feet and I only did it because I hit it in the one area where the rough was laid flat. I shot a 78 and felt good about my round until I found out Matt shot a 70. Nate and Dave were great to play with. Dave is rocket scientist smart and Nate has the coolest odyssey RSX i've ever seen. Dave handles all the golfball engineering and asked me after every wedge shot if the new ball preformed like I expected it to.

Post edited by Unknown User on
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8
    X Forged Utility 21* (bent 19*) KBS Prototype 95
    Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto
    MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper
    Toulon Austin Longneck Garage
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • CStephenson17CStephenson17 ClubWRX Posts: 663 ClubWRX
    Awesome Mackepa! So just out of curiosity, do you have a final verdict on the driver? Seems maybe you weren't completely blown away by it?
  • The Chicken ConnoisseurThe Chicken Connoisseur The Pengest Munch Banned Posts: 3,732
    OMG image/ohmy.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />
  • JC671JC671 Members Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Qmany, I know you've been getting a lot of questions, I just had one. What was it like seeing the ocean for the first time?

WITB Link

• joljol Members Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm Callaway GREEN with envy! Definitely a golf experience of a life time!

To all the participants,

Thank you for all the well thought out blogs, reviews and commentary. I really enjoyed reading them!
  • Roadking_6Roadking_6 Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sean2 wrote:

QMany wrote:

I'm leaving on my honeymoon early Saturday morning, so I'm going to dedicate some time today and tomorrow to getting a comprehensive trip recap finished.

But if any of you have questions, please let us know. There was a lot of information to digest, and I'm sure it will be hard to remember and include everything in our recaps.

Have a great honeymoon Q!

You bringing your clubs? lol

Sean, I know I read that you were fit into irons that are +2" in length? As a tall guy with over length as well, I'm curious, what length driver were you fit into. I'm back and forth whether longer or shorten benefits me and think I strike better at 45.5" or longer. What did they do for you? Thanks
  • mguhlermguhler In the EtherMembers Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, great writeups guys!
    Cally Epic SZ 9* - Yellow HZRDS 6.0 65g
    Cally X2 Hot Pro 15* - Aldila Tour Green
    Srixon ZH45 #3 & #4 - Kuro Kage Black 70
    Mizuno MP-5 4-9 - Grafalloy ProLogic
    Scratch 8620DS 47* -Steelfiber i95s
    Vokey SM6/M Brushed Copper 54* & 58*
    Tour Cameron NP2
    WITB Link
  • Boricua GolfBoricua Golf Members Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing write-ups, being a Callaway guy I am really paying attention to the newer equipment reactions, thanks again, keep'em coming...
    Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
    Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
    Ping G 19*, GD Tour AD-DI 105X
    Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 33.25" with Scotty Custom Black Pistolero grip, Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour 32.75", built up blacked out Pingman Grip
    Bridgestone Tour XS (Tiger Edition) and new Pro V1
  • gregh729gregh729 #TheWRX 2016 Members Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    GC70 wrote:

@gregh729

Did I miss it ? What wedges did you end up with and driver shaft?

Driver shaft is the Diamana S+ 60, stiff at 45.5"

Wedges are the MD3 56W and 60W. I liked the wide sole and more bounce
  • getair23getair23 Members Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mackepa, you had me at the putter fitting. Great write up! Is Callaway more magical than Disney now?
    Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5TX 
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5 Elements Chrome 7F5T
    Srixon Z 745 (4-9) Z 945 (pw) KBS tour-x
    Fourteen RM 21 50* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Bettinardi "The Hive" Black 54* and 60* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Edel 64* KBS C-Taper s+
    Titleist Studio Design 2
    Pro V1
    edited Dec 16, 2016 #1153

Awesome Mackepa! So just out of curiosity, do you have a final verdict on the driver? Seems maybe you weren't completely blown away by it?

The standard model looked strange to me but numbers were better. The low spin model was awesome and looked much better. I was very surprised by the performance of both heads. I just have bad writing skills and forgot to put my final verdict in.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
    getair23 wrote:

Mackepa, you had me at the putter fitting. Great write up! Is Callaway more magical than Disney now?

Haha officially they're both my two favorite places on the planet.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • FAbbFAbb Members Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 16, 2016 #1155
    Has anybody that was fit into the new 2017 fairway played an M1 or M2 fairway previously? I had an original XR series fairway in the bag, but the M2 absolutely blew it out of the water. Even a local teaching pro I know that's a Callaway staffer has been hiding an M2 fairway under a Callaway cover. If you've hit both, do you think Callaway has caught back up to the M-series with the 2017 fairway?
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,646 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mackepa wrote:

The standard model looked strange to me but numbers were better. The low spin model was awesome and looked much better. I was very surprised by the performance of both heads. I just have bad writing skills and forgot to put my final verdict in.

Im surprised you saw that much difference in the crown of both models. They look almost identical to me.
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck 35.5" (counter weight removed)
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Great reviews! Keep them coming!
    G410 9 Degree - Yonex Red
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Yonex Blue
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - UST Recoil
    G410 6-UW - Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES (Awaiting release) Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,129 ClubWRX
    edited Dec 16, 2016 #1158
    hayzooos wrote:

Great job on the write up, everyone so far. Q, 70 is a **** of a round at a course you've never played with clubs you've never touched. Hopefully '17 has some good things in store for you! I'm honestly kinda pissed at you though knowing you only picked up golf 6 years ago. You were that kid growing up who was just naturally good at everything, weren't you? WEREN'T YOU?

Doc420 wrote:

great read. So you have only been playing 6 years? That's very impressive to get to the level of player you appear to be. Did you play when you were young and pick it back 6 years ago or start from scratch? Did you come from a different sport that made it easier to get good quicker.

I think it is just a little more than six years now, judging by when I joined this site. While I was in law school (2009-12), one of my good friends was an undergraduate on the golf team. He missed the team bus for an out-of-town event and his coached "punished" him by requiring him to play 36 holes while they were gone. He called me up, said he had a 30-pack of beer, and invited me to play. I have been hooked ever since! I joined here to research what irons I should buy after that. My parents might take me to the driving range or putt-putt when I was a kid, but I didn't play in high school or even have my own set of clubs.

I played soccer/basketball in HS and then basketball in college. I was never the most athletic, so I got by on work ethic. I was a "gym rat." And that has translated well into golf; I've been a range rat ever since I started. I love practicing. During the summer, I'll practice or play 9-holes 6 days per week. If it is over freezing and not too windy, I'll hit balls during the Kansas winters.

As I got a little better, I started getting the itch to play competitively. I practiced hard, took a leap of faith, signed up for the 2013 Missouri Amateur, and made it through qualifying! I've played in the 2014, 2015, and 2016 Kansas Amateur, and other state amateur events, since then.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
    JC671 wrote:

@Qmany, I know you've been getting a lot of questions, I just had one. What was it like seeing the ocean for the first time?

What ocean?
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

• tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    QMany wrote:

JC671 wrote:

What ocean?

Well played my friend!
    G410 9 Degree - Yonex Red
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Yonex Blue
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - UST Recoil
    G410 6-UW - Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES (Awaiting release) Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • joljol Members Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

After we decided on the right shaft I was getting 4-8 yards more carry and the same gain in total distance. This doesn't sound like much as there were others who had much more impressive gains. But as Gerritt said, my gamer was already a really good fit for me, and to get an extra 4-8 yards of carry was impressive.

Which shaft did you end up with?
  • ell_13ell_13 Members Posts: 74
    QMany wrote:

hayzooos wrote:

Great job on the write up, everyone so far. Q, 70 is a **** of a round at a course you've never played with clubs you've never touched. Hopefully '17 has some good things in store for you! I'm honestly kinda pissed at you though knowing you only picked up golf 6 years ago. You were that kid growing up who was just naturally good at everything, weren't you? WEREN'T YOU?

Doc420 wrote:

great read. So you have only been playing 6 years? That's very impressive to get to the level of player you appear to be. Did you play when you were young and pick it back 6 years ago or start from scratch? Did you come from a different sport that made it easier to get good quicker.

I think it is just a little more than six years now, judging by when I joined this site. While I was in law school (2009-12), one of my good friends was an undergraduate on the golf team. He missed the team bus for an out-of-town event and his coached "punished" him by requiring him to play 36 holes while they were gone. He called me up, said he had a 30-pack of beer, and invited me to play. I have been hooked ever since! I joined here to research what irons I should buy after that. My parents might take me to the driving range or putt-putt when I was a kid, but I didn't play in high school or even have my own set of clubs.

I played soccer/basketball in HS and then basketball in college. I was never the most athletic, so I got by on work ethic. I was a "gym rat." And that has translated well into golf; I've been a range rat ever since I started. I love practicing. During the summer, I'll practice or play 9-holes 6 days per week. If it is over freezing and not too windy, I'll hit balls during the Kansas winters.

As I got a little better, I started getting the itch to play competitively. I practiced hard, took a leap of faith, signed up for the 2013 Missouri Amateur, and made it through qualifying! I've played in the 2014, 2015, and 2016 Kansas Amateur, and other state amateur events, since then.
    Now this story I can relate to. I played baseball in college and didn't really pick up golf until the end of my senior year. I'm in Louisiana so winters aren't so harsh; I'm always practicing now.

This thread has been fantastic. Thanks to all of you for sharing. mackepa, I'm also a Disney nut... We own vacation club points at a couple of the resorts. Played The Palm for the first time last month. I won't be taking a Disney trip without my clubs again.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Callaway Rogue SZ 9*; Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    TM M1 3W; Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    TM M2 3H; TaylorMade REAX 75S
    Srixon 765 4-PW; Modus Tour 120S
    Callaway MD Forged 50*, 54*, 60*; KBS Wedge 120
    GP Tour Wrap Grips on Irons/Wedges
    GP MCC 4 on Woods
    Bettinardi DASS BB0 w/ FIT Face[/font]
  • YoYoJumboYoYoJumbo RaleighMembers Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is really fantastic. That new driver sounds AMAZING. I cant wait to try it out.
    Rogue SZ
    TS3
    M3 hybrid
    P760s
    Vokeys
    ER5B
  • ImpImp Fueled Members Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 16, 2016 #1164
    swanry30 wrote:

I'm taking a couple of big things out of Q's write up...

First, Callaway was licking their chops knowing they were fitting a good player with speed using a Ping G30 with a stock shaft. Regardless if it was fit at Ping - the fitting process wouldn't touch the extensive/details they would put him through.

Second, Callaway fit him right. They didn't chase yards - they fit to the miss. One of the easiest way to tighten up dispersion pattern is going shorter, heavier and stiffer (for a strong player). Callaway attacked all three. Pairing this with a head that provided the appropriate spin (in his case a head that would spin). The Tensei is a top notch shaft/line - the CK PRO BLUE might as well have been made for Q.

Third, JAILBREAK is legitimate. When you go shorter, heavier and stiffer you lose swing speed, and for your quality player ball speed (because they are already hitting it on the screws - higher handicappers can benefit and see ball speeds increase on average if shortening aids in center face contact). Callaway's new technology appears to have made up the loss and increased his ball speed. If they gave him the same driver .75" longer like his Ping with the 60g CK PRO BLUE - imagine the gains...wow!

Finally, gear/equipment aside - the level of fitting provided should not be overlooked. When you have a great fitter with incredible equipment and product knowledge (great example is the hybrid fitting - an older model would eliminate left more than the current model - I loved this...).

I will for certain be giving the CALLAWAY 2017 "LOW SPIN" DRIVER a go...I play my drivers at 44.5" - .75", D4-6 with 75-80g TX tipped 1". I'm looking for control not distance (already have speed) - yet don't hit "forgiving" heads well. If I can gain ball speed at my playing length, I will be just fine with green on the crown.

Appreciate the detailed write up Q!
    3RLvb.gif

--kC
    Callaway Rogue 10.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD4 52*, 58*, 64*
  • xjohnxxjohnx Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭
    So let me get this straight.

Qmany, you've been playing for only 6 years and you went out on Torrey South first time and shot 70 with clubs you've never played with outside of the fitting? ****.
  • ImpImp Fueled Members Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    xjohnx wrote:

Qmany, you've been playing for only 6 years and you went out on Torrey South first time and shot 70 with clubs you've never played with outside of the fitting? ****.
    The clubs are that good! image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

--kC
    Callaway Rogue 10.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD4 52*, 58*, 64*
    xjohnx wrote:

I had expertly fit clubs, a great caddie, adrenaline, and a lot of aiming fluid. It was the perfect recipe.

The scary thing is, it could have been really low! Birdie putts missed:
    • 15 feet on 1
    • 15 feet on 2
    • 10 feet on 5
    • 3-putt par on 6
    • 15 feet on 7
    • 15 feet on 10
    • 25 feet on 11
    • 6 feet for Par on 12
    • 10 feet on 13
    • 25 feet on 14
    • 3-putt par on 18

image/censored2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':censored2:' />
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

• ell_13ell_13 Members Posts: 74
    QMany wrote:

xjohnx wrote:

I had expertly fit clubs, a great caddie, adrenaline, and a lot of aiming fluid. It was the perfect recipe.

The scary thing is, it could have been really low! Birdie putts missed:
    • 15 feet on 1
    • 15 feet on 2
    • 10 feet on 5
    • 3-putt par on 6
    • 15 feet on 7
    • 15 feet on 10
    • 25 feet on 11
    • 6 feet for Par on 12
    • 10 feet on 13
    • 25 feet on 14
    • 3-putt par on 18

image/censored2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':censored2:' />

Are we supposed to feel sorry for you? image/glare.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':glare:' />
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Callaway Rogue SZ 9*; Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    TM M1 3W; Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    TM M2 3H; TaylorMade REAX 75S
    Srixon 765 4-PW; Modus Tour 120S
    Callaway MD Forged 50*, 54*, 60*; KBS Wedge 120
    GP Tour Wrap Grips on Irons/Wedges
    GP MCC 4 on Woods
    Bettinardi DASS BB0 w/ FIT Face[/font]
    edited Dec 16, 2016 #1169
    ell_13 wrote:

QMany wrote:

hayzooos wrote:

Doc420 wrote:

Now this story I can relate to. I played baseball in college and didn't really pick up golf until the end of my senior year. I'm in Louisiana so winters aren't so harsh; I'm always practicing now.

This thread has been fantastic. Thanks to all of you for sharing. mackepa, I'm also a Disney nut... We own vacation club points at a couple of the resorts. Played The Palm for the first time last month. I won't be taking a Disney trip without my clubs again.

Lake Buena Vista is my favorite Disney course. My wife and I are annual pass holders
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • driverwedgedriverwedge If you swing hard and miss, it hurts a bit. Members Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys. Thanks very much for your great reviews. For the first time in a while I'm legitimately excited to try some of their new stuff. Looks like we had some great representation at the event!
    Adams 9064LS 8.5*/ Aldila CINNAMON 65-X
    Adams Super LS Black 18*/ Redboard 83x
    Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x Or
    MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7
    MP T5 Black Ion 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny
    Tour Issue Drizzle Stick (In case it rains).
    All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+
    WITB Link
    edited Dec 16, 2016 #1171
    I think the thing I was most surprised about was the sound of the New 2017 Driver. It reminds me of the last Callaway club I had in the bag, the Razr Hawk Tour. It is muted but solid. I think you can hear it in the videos posted; it is an addicting sound off the face.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

This discussion has been closed.