Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Comments

• BrizamBrizam Junkie ClubWRX Posts: 966 ClubWRX

I have been reading this thread and living vicariously through the lucky 8 since it was first started. I just want to thank all those involved for allowing the wrx community to follow along. All you guys did a wonderful job with your reviews and it was a treat to read them. It is clear they did a perfect job chosing the right people for this trip of a lifetime. With all the swag and free stuff aside, the thing I was the most interested to read about was the fittings. As somebody who has never been fitted for any club in my bag (well except thru trial and error myself), it was great hearing about the process and how the callaway guys were fitting you for your misses rather than just distance was a real eye opener for me. I am hoping to get fit for irons sometime this next year and reading these reviews gave me some great insights on what should be involved.

Again thanks to everyone involved and especially QMany, MtlJeff, Sean2, Brizam, Waterboy, Hot Rod 71, greagh729, and mackepa for taking the time to post their thoughts and answering our questions.

It was our pleasure. We all talked about trying to post as much as possible while we were there. Every few minutes something would happen and one of us would say "I got it, putting it on WRX now".

We all had a good sense of community and knew how much you guys were looking forward to seeing what was going on.

On fittings. I definitely recommend doing one. And make sure you are fit for the miss. Being long is great but being long and out of play isn't much fun at all. Just ask me about 10yrs ago.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,706 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best parts of my day was getting back to the hotel so i could post a bit and update guys on stuff.

I only had 200MB of data i could use for like 4 days on my US plan. So i was a super negligent poster usually until we got back to the Hotel

I've never asked about free wifi so much LOL.

The other guys would get back to the hotel and i'd be late for dinner because i was posting.
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/S300
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,965 ClubWRX
    MtlJeff wrote:

One of the best parts of my day was getting back to the hotel so i could post a bit and update guys on stuff.

I only had 200MB of data i could use for like 4 days on my US plan. So i was a super negligent poster usually until we got back to the Hotel

The other guys would get back to the hotel and i'd be late for dinner because i was posting.

How much is 200MB in Canadian?
  • mackepamackepa #TheWRX Members Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 17, 2016 #1415
    DavePelz4 wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

How much is 200MB in Canadian?

Like 72* Celsius
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8
    X Forged Utility 21* (bent 19*) KBS Prototype 95
    Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto
    MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper
    Toulon Austin Longneck Garage
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
    Haha....it's so cold today up here i've barely moved 50 meters all day
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,965 ClubWRX
    Would you guys mind talking more about the wedge fitting process and how you got to the final choices? How many variants did you go through with wedge shafts? Was that part of the fitting more "feel" based and how did Trackman play a role in the wedge choices?
  • BrizamBrizam Junkie ClubWRX Posts: 966 ClubWRX
    DavePelz4 wrote:

Would you guys mind talking more about the wedge fitting process and how you got to the final choices? How many variants did you go through with wedge shafts? Was that part of the fitting more "feel" based and how did Trackman play a role in the wedge choices?

Well for me it was pretty easy. Roger Freaking Cleveland handed me a wedge and said this is the best wedge for your game. He had only seen me hit about 15 balls too. And he was right. I could hit all the shots I like to hit with the new wedges. I'll probably be buying a second 54 and 58 to use on the range.
    I'm really boring with wedges because i'm not a big wedge lover. I looked at the MD forged and liked the straight leading edge, i hit it maybe 10-12 times in the 52 degree to make sure i was comfortable with full swings, then hit a few pitches with the 56 and 60.

I used trackman for 52 degree only. 56 and 60 i did not because i never take full swings anyway. When i worked on a few pitches the ball seemed to bite well

That was it for me. Than i asked about shafts because i'm used to spinners, and Roger Cleveland was there and said the difference might be a couple hundred RPM vs the S200, so i said "what do you know about wedges, Roger Cleveland?"

(i'm kidding , i did not say that....i just said, "give me the S200 then good sir!")
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    edited Dec 17, 2016 #1420
    If anyone can see my signature, it says i have an MD3 wedge for the 60. That's because Callaway only had the range wedges for lefty in 60 degree. So i have the MD3 to use until the MD are released in stores and then i'm going to go buy the 60 in that model.

So that is why my sig shows MD3 for now just if you were curious. I do plan on getting the MD forged for the set
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
  • OaksOaks Member of #TeamJetSpeed Ocean StateClubWRX Posts: 2,411 ClubWRX
    The attention to detail that the 8 of us have shown is second to none.

As a group your responses it have been greatly appreciated! Also the frankness and honesty that you are posting is great to see.
    M1 440 9.5* - ACCRA TZP Proto 265 M5      X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X     JetSpeed 19* w Matrix Hm95X 
    MP-63 3-PW - Project X 6.0      RTX4  54.10 & 60.09 - DG TI S400     Toulon Portland    Titleist  2016 Ultralight
    #TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013
  • TitleistM1TitleistM1 Banned Posts: 103
    So tour issue clubs or not??
  • mackepamackepa #TheWRX Members Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 17, 2016 #1423
    TitleistM1 wrote:

It's debatable. They don't have the TC serial but they were built by the tour facility and each iron head was weighed to the .001 of a gram. All our woods received hot melt to achieve desired swing weights. My irons were pretty overlength so they had to dust off a top secret drawer of light heads.

I would consider my clubs retail clubs except my putter. My putter is definitely tour issue
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8
    X Forged Utility 21* (bent 19*) KBS Prototype 95
    Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto
    MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper
    Toulon Austin Longneck Garage
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • cz13X4cz13X4 Members Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    TitleistM1 wrote:

Wrx issued. Way better.
  • WaterboyWaterboy #TheWRX Members Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 17, 2016 #1425
    DavePelz4 wrote:

Mine was straight forward:

Me: I like the md forged.

Fitter: oh no, not going to work for you. You need a wide sole. Like a w grind.

Me: (sigh) can I try the md forged?

Fitter: sure, but take the W grind too. The 60 pm also

/walks to spot, swings with md forged

-thin, thin, chunk

Fitter: do you usually hit wedges that clean? (Knowing the answer already) now try a couple with the md3.

-struck well, and again, and again

Fitter: go to that flag

Me: ok

-at it, again, again

Me: just get me the md3s

/walks away.

So yeah. That's how it went. I didn't mess with shafts. I've done it in the past and seen no gain in wedges besides style points.
    Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
    Site: www.thebottomgroove.com

WITB:
    Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
    Callaway BBA 5 Wood
    Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
    Apex Hybrid 23deg
    Apex Pro 5i-PW
    MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
    MD3 60 PM Grind
    Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,129 ClubWRX
    wobgon wrote:

So am i correct in deducing that everyone of you liked all the callaway clubs better than what you have been playing?

It is hard to say so quickly, but I'll take a guess:

Wedges and irons, yes. I found my dispersion with irons noticeably improved and wedges recommended by Cleveland and a Tour-level fitter.

Hybrid, probably not. The build feels odd, heavy and stiff. Was going dead right on me.

3W, I didn't get to hit it enough. I love my Mini, but I'll ditch it if the New 3W offers same benefits off the tee and versatility off the deck.

Driver, it'll require head-to-head on-course testing. Early results are promising though.

Putter, yes. Last year I committed to one putter all year. I'll do the same this year and might as well do it with one expertly fit and built for me.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
    cz13X4 wrote:

TitleistM1 wrote:

Wrx issued. Way better.

My 7 wood is one of a kind. From the builders mouth. You won't find another like it anywhere.

WITB:
    Callaway BBA 5 Wood
    Apex Hybrid 23deg
    Apex Pro 5i-PW
    MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
    MD3 60 PM Grind
    Rod has a special wedge i can tell you that!!!!

my stuff is basically right off the rack. Only cool thing i can say is that the SZ driver i have was at the ECPC for Phil i believe until he cancelled his appointment there. At least as legend has it.

I'm telling everyone i have Phil's driver.
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,414 ClubWRX
    MtlJeff wrote:

my stuff is basically right off the rack. Only cool thing i can say is that the SZ driver i have was at the ECPC for Phil i believe until he cancelled his appointment there. At least as legend has it.

LOL, will that be from adjoining fairways?
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

LOL, will that be from adjoining fairways?

Did you see my swing video from #1 at Torrey? I missed the fairway by like 20 yards. It HAS to be his!
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
  • LeftymooseLeftymoose Members Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Great review as well Brizam...I like the shafts they put you in..but I totally know where you're coming from when they said x100 are your best match, haha
  • jas904jas904 Members Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

jas904 wrote:

A question for the participants. Was the thought of going with matching the gap wedge to your iron set, rather than wedge specific, ever entertained? I would like to know what the fitters philosophy on this option might be.

Yes, i absolutely considered it and at first ordered 4-GW. The fitter asked me to hit a few with the MD 52 degrees and said they'd bend it to 51 if i liked it. Normally i get the set GW.

I hit probably 10 in a row around 115 which is normally what i use my GW for. And to his point i'll probably be a lot better with it for 3/4 swings, so i changed my order

At Torrey i hit it on #2 , on #13 and #15 for my approach and each time had a makeable birdie. So far i haven't had any issue adjusting to the smaller wedge for those distances i guess

Thanks for the info Jeff. Sounds like you definitely made the right choice!
    TaylorMade M4 8.5, HZRDUS Yellow 65
    TaylorMade M3 15, HZRDUS Black 75
    Callaway XR Pro 20, Project X LZ
    Srixon Z765 4-PW, Steelfiber 110
    Titleist SM6 50F Steelfiber 110, SM7 56S Steelfiber 110, SM7 60D Steelfiber 110
    Ping Ketsch Armlock
  • TM_HOYERTM_HOYER Members Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Waterboy wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

-thin, thin, chunk

Fitter: do you usually hit wedges that clean? (Knowing the answer already) now try a couple with the md3.

-at it, again, again

/walks away.

So yeah. That's how it went. I didn't mess with shafts. I've done it in the past and seen no gain in wedges besides style points.

The problem with that is the ground you play on would impact the grind you get. My home course here in Georgia is hard clay based soil so I got the C grind MD3. I played at Bay Hill early this week and the C grind just sliced into the loose sandy soil. Lots of chunks in the first round. For the second round I used my Apex CF16 Sand Wedge and my chips and pitches were fine. No chunks. So if you were fitted on different type of soil, your results could be different at your home course. But at the same time I will say Roger Cleveland has forgotten more about wedges than I will EVER know. So my guess is that Roger and the fitter took that into account.

Great updates, glad you had a great time, and represented GolfWRX well.
    Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 driver w/ Tensei AX 65 Regular
    Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 wooda w/ Tensei AX 75 Regular
    Callaway Epic Forged 5 - GW irons w/ Tensei AX Silver 60 Regular
    Callaway MD4 56 & 60 w/ Project X LZ 5.5
    Toulon Design Palm Beach
    Callaway Chrome Soft
    TM_HOYER wrote:

Waterboy wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

-thin, thin, chunk

-at it, again, again

/walks away.

The problem with that is the ground you play on would impact the grind you get. My home course here in Georgia is hard clay based soil so I got the C grind MD3. I played at Bay Hill early this week and the C grind just sliced into the loose sandy soil. Lots of chunks in the first round. For the second round I used my Apex CF16 Sand Wedge and my chips and pitches were fine. No chunks. So if you were fitted on different type of soil, your results could be different at your home course. But at the same time I will say Roger Cleveland has forgotten more about wedges than I will EVER know. So my guess is that Roger and the fitter took that into account.

Great updates, glad you had a great time, and represented GolfWRX well.

I agree that ground factors grind. I play 95% of my rounds in the same area and my soils are softer then what I was hitting on at the ecpc.

I've always used one kind of wedge and have just replaced it so experimenting with a wider sole is more intriguing and could end up in better results for my wedge game.

I hope this works out for the better.

WITB:
    Callaway BBA 5 Wood
    Apex Hybrid 23deg
    Apex Pro 5i-PW
    MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
    MD3 60 PM Grind
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,414 ClubWRX
    Waterboy wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

-thin, thin, chunk

-at it, again, again

/walks away.

LOL, sounds like me telling my fitter the shaft I want, or Monte anything!

There, got this to the right post.
  • StonebridgeStonebridge Members Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭
    mackepa wrote:

TitleistM1 wrote:

What swing weight were your previous irons and now your new irons? Did you just change head weights or were you given a combination of slightly shorter length irons and lighter heads? Thanks

It's debatable. They don't have the TC serial but they were built by the tour facility and each iron head was weighed to the .001 of a gram. All our woods received hot melt to achieve desired swing weights. My irons were pretty overlength so they had to dust off a top secret drawer of light heads.

I would consider my clubs retail clubs except my putter. My putter is definitely tour issue
This discussion has been closed.