#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Comments

• Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    Phreddy wrote:

I can think of 8 guys who have already had a spectacular Christmas. I can't wait to hear what you are doing for New Years!

Thank you for the reports, pictures and follow ups to questions. Equally entertaining and informative.

Phred

Thanks Phred!

This is way beyond any Christmas I ever had.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • gregh729gregh729 #TheWRX 2016 Members Posts: 2,878 ✭✭
    Me too!

Callaway Epic SZ, 9*
    Callaway Epic 15*, 18*
    Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*
    Callaway Steelhead XR, 5-AW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 54F, 58K
    Odyssey O-Works Black 7s
  • nellycuznellycuz Pured Members Posts: 450 ✭✭
    Brizam wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. What app is this?
    '17 M2 10.5 Rogue Black Stiff
    '17 M2 16.5 HL 3W
    913hd 19* Hybrid
    714 AP2 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Scotty Cameron Newport '16
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,867 ClubWRX
    nellycuz wrote:

Brizam wrote:

HotRod71

[url="

[url=" - GolfWRX Mobile(16415966)[/url] from [url="https://vimeo.com/tapatalk"]Tapatalk[/url] on [url="https://vimeo.com"]Vimeo[/url].

Shot Tracer
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG Gen1 0311T - DGTI AMT S400
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • The Chicken ConnoisseurThe Chicken Connoisseur The Pengest Munch Banned Posts: 3,732
    How much lower spin is the SZ with weight back than standard model?

Also, if SZ with weight back is more forgiving than standard model, what's even the point of the standard one?? Surely you could just loft up with the SZ or put a higher spinning shaft if you need a bit more spin...
  • balladmballadm Augusta, GAMembers Posts: 684 ✭✭

Also, if SZ with weight back is more forgiving than standard model, what's even the point of the standard one?? Surely you could just loft up with the SZ or put a higher spinning shaft if you need a bit more spin...

I agree, but the LS was probably just better in every way for some and others will have a different analysis. If the above were true then yes. A+B=Donkey. Just buy it...
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,053 ClubWRX

My guess: the LS version is 200-300 RPM less. But the MOI is higher in the LS version only when the weight is back; I don't know the spin difference in that configuration. I'm a low spin player, so I needed the regular version for more spin.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro White 70TX
    Callaway GBB Epic SZ (15°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • BrizamBrizam Junkie ClubWRX Posts: 954 ClubWRX
    nellycuz wrote:

Brizam wrote:

HotRod71

[url="

[url=" - GolfWRX Mobile(16415966)[/url] from [url="https://vimeo.com/tapatalk"]Tapatalk[/url] on [url="https://vimeo.com"]Vimeo[/url].

It's just called Shot Tracer.

Shot Tracer by Visual Vertigo Software Technologies

I spent 15 minutes downloading it and showing Roger Cleveland how to use it at the ECPC. It's not 100% accurate but it's good fun.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,369 ✭✭
    Brizam wrote:

nellycuz wrote:

Brizam wrote:

HotRod71

[url="

It's just called Shot Tracer.

Shot Tracer by Visual Vertigo Software Technologies

I spent 15 minutes downloading it and showing Roger Cleveland how to use it at the ECPC. It's not 100% accurate but it's good fun.

It's definitely not 100% accurate.... My shot on #1 was WAY more offline
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • tyrotyro Members Posts: 2,604 ✭✭
    edited Dec 22, 2016 #1601
    I'm in the air right now headed to San Diego, so I'm hopeful that I can find a shop around there that has the "driver that shall be named" to try. I'm not holding my breath, but hopeful.

2017 will be the year of Callaway for me. I've already ordered the Apex hybrid, Pro 16 irons, MD3 wedges, and 2017 Hyperlite 5 bag in the black/white/green colors. (I'm tired of looking around for my bag when EVERYONE has a black bag.) I already have a Toulon that I love and only need to top it off with a driver and fairway. I'm even switching to the Chrome Soft after being a die hard Pro V1 guy for years.

Now, if they would just hurry up and release this pesky driver, I could have my bag set for silly season!!! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Oh, and this thread didn't help, or...uh...it did. Depends on how you look at it! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • The Chicken ConnoisseurThe Chicken Connoisseur The Pengest Munch Banned Posts: 3,732
    QMany wrote:

My guess: the LS version is 200-300 RPM less. But the MOI is higher in the LS version only when the weight is back; I don't know the spin difference in that configuration. I'm a low spin player, so I needed the regular version for more spin.

Ok. But you can get your 200 revs by adding a degree of dynamic loft via the head or the shaft.

More likely it's just to have drivers at two different price points. Because otherwise the standard model sounds useless
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,053 ClubWRX

QMany wrote:

Ok. But you can get your 200 revs by adding a degree of dynamic loft via the head or the shaft.

More likely it's just to have drivers at two different price points. Because otherwise the standard model sounds useless

It may not be ideal for everyone to launch it 1-2 degrees higher with 200-300 RPM less. I suggest you test both heads first before determining any model useless; your mileage may vary.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro White 70TX
    Callaway GBB Epic SZ (15°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
    QMany wrote:

QMany wrote:

It may not be ideal for everyone to launch it 1-2 degrees higher with 200-300 RPM less. I suggest you test both heads first before determining any model useless; your mileage may vary.

That's not what I said. I said. If your spin was 200 revs too high, you could loft up a degree, get the correct spin, and a touch more launch. Not lower spin

I hit the SZ, and while it offered approximately 200 rpm's less spin, I wasn't as consistent with it. So for me, I didn't find it less "forgiving".
    tyro wrote:

I'm in the air right now headed to San Diego, so I'm hopeful that I can find a shop around there that has the "driver that shall be named" to try. I'm not holding my breath, but hopeful.

2017 will be the year of Callaway for me. I've already ordered the Apex hybrid, Pro 16 irons, MD3 wedges, and 2017 Hyperlite 5 bag in the black/white/green colors. (I'm tired of looking around for my bag when EVERYONE has a black bag.) I already have a Toulon that I love and only need to top it off with a driver and fairway. I'm even switching to the Chrome Soft after being a die hard Pro V1 guy for years.

Now, if they would just hurry up and release this pesky driver, I could have my bag set for silly season!!! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Oh, and this thread didn't help, or...uh...it did. Depends on how you look at it! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Make a couple of small changes in there and we can be bag buddies LOL

I love the Apex hybrid. Really nice feel to it and pretty forgiving for a smallish head

I'm also surprised at how high the Apex Pros launch for smaller heads
    Sean2 wrote:

I hit the SZ, and while it offered approximately 200 rpm's less spin, I wasn't as consistent with it. So for me, I didn't find it less "forgiving".

So less consistent is more forgiving?

QMany wrote:

I'm not sure there will be two different price points, didn't get that impression. I suppose it's possible as we didn't talk MRSP but they didn't say the SZ would be more expensive

I do think it's a valid point though, the heads are both 460cc, look similar or identical at address and are both lowish spin. My guess is most players could use either depending on small setup changes. I could probably play a regular head at 9.5 and that alone would cancel out the 200-300rpm difference while maybe costing me 1-2 yds total from launch. Not life altering

I did have that same thought, as to why 2 heads were really needed

Sean2 wrote:

So less consistent is more forgiving?

The SZ has a higher MOI, hence more "forgiveness", generally speaking. But it wasn't as forgiving for me as the one with a lower MOI. I also hit a less "forgiving" iron better than a more "forgiving" one.

MtlJeff wrote:

QMany wrote:

I'm not sure there will be two different price points, didn't get that impression. I suppose it's possible as we didn't talk MRSP but they didn't say the SZ would be more expensive

I do think it's a valid point though, the heads are both 460cc, look similar or identical at address and are both lowish spin. My guess is most players could use either depending on small setup changes. I could probably play a regular head at 9.5 and that alone would cancel out the 200-300rpm difference while maybe costing me 1-2 yds total from launch. Not life altering

Well Jeff, they always say two heads are better than one. :-)
    ^^^haha, maybe they have 2 heads so Phil can play two drivers again at Augusta!
  • hef63303hef63303 Members Posts: 2,861 ✭✭
    gregh729 wrote:

Me too!

That's purty
  • dlongstaffdlongstaff Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

QMany wrote:

I know for me, I like when they have two heads and one, or both, has movable weights. Playing the driver right around 45", then the weight has to be put back somewhere, and I don't like playing heavier (over 75g) shafts in a driver. So, having a place(s) to add weight that can be discreet, and with the way the smaller weights are designed, it works quite well. Case in point: I've got at least 2/3 grams wrapped around the gravity core in my 816 and another 1 wrapped around the back weight. In the end, if they only had one head (sliding weight), well, I would probably pass on it.
    Epic SZ 9* (+1) // 815 DBD 9* (+1, 8 heel - 1 toe, GC down)
    Diamana D+62X // Diamana D+62S // UST Attas 6Star 6S // GD BB 6S

Callaway Steelhead XR 5W (X1); TM RBZ Tour 5 (X1) TM '11 TP #4-21*..Matrix Altus TP

Nike VR split cavity 4 (R300); pro blades 5 (S300) 6 (ss X1) 7-PW (X1)

Cally MD2 52T bent-50.5*(X1), 58T bent-56*(X1), 60U (X1ss), and 64S (X1)

Odyssey White Hot XG Sabertooth SS Pistol GT 1.0 CC // Yes~Sophia SS Pistol GT 1.0 CC
    Odyssey MXM 9HT SS Pistol GT 1.0 CC
  • mguhlermguhler Members Posts: 719 ✭✭
    The standard has the chevron site aide on the crown? Is the SZ crown naked?
    Cally Epic SZ 9* - Aldila Tour Green
    Cally X2 Hot Pro 15* - Aldila Tour Green
    Srixon ZH45 #3 & #4 - Kuro Kage Black 70
    Mizuno MP-5 4-9 - Grafalloy ProLogic
    Scratch 8620DS 47* -Steelfiber i95s
    Vokey SM6/M Brushed Copper 54* & 58*
    Tour Cameron NP2
    WITB Link
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,331 ClubWRX
    mguhler wrote:

Nope, both are the same unfortunately.
    TM Mini 11.5 Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • mguhlermguhler Members Posts: 719 ✭✭
    Warrick wrote:

mguhler wrote:

Gross...I can't stand site aides on my clubs.
    Cally Epic SZ 9* - Aldila Tour Green
    Cally X2 Hot Pro 15* - Aldila Tour Green
    Srixon ZH45 #3 & #4 - Kuro Kage Black 70
    Mizuno MP-5 4-9 - Grafalloy ProLogic
    Scratch 8620DS 47* -Steelfiber i95s
    Vokey SM6/M Brushed Copper 54* & 58*
    Tour Cameron NP2
    WITB Link
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,152 ✭✭
    Warrick wrote:

mguhler wrote:

I'd prefer the crown to be clean (like my current 2016 SZ), but the chevron won't be a deal breaker.
    USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - stock shaft in S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
    mguhler wrote:

Warrick wrote:

mguhler wrote:

100% agree.

The one flawed thing from this release "IMO", 2 very similar heads with little variance in performance, and they make them both the same size with an identical look.

It seems to me it would have been an easy decision to leave the EPIC as is, and have the SZ crown clean.
    TM Mini 11.5 Smoke 70
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,378 ✭✭
    edited Dec 23, 2016 #1618
    Warrick wrote:

mguhler wrote:

Warrick wrote:

mguhler wrote:

100% agree.

The one flawed thing from this release "IMO", 2 very similar heads with little variance in performance, and they make them both the same size with an identical look.

It seems to me it would have been an easy decision to leave the EPIC as is, and have the SZ crown clean.

After testing them I don't think they are simliar at all. Epic has a perimeter adjustable weight that can adjust draw or fade bias for controlling shot shape. The SZ has adjustable weights from and back to control spin up or down? M1 and M2 (same crown), Ping G and Ping G LS (same crown) and those are the other two top selling drivers on the market. Gotta be something to it image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Project X HZRDUS Black Smoke 70 6.5
    Callaway Epic Flash 3+  / Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
    The crown really isn't a big deal, a little bit of stuff going on but if you can play cobras or tmag that have dual color crowns this should be easy
    edited Dec 23, 2016 #1620
    J13 wrote:

Warrick wrote:

mguhler wrote:

Warrick wrote:

mguhler wrote:

100% agree.

After testing them I don't think they are simliar at all. Epic has a perimeter adjustable weight that can adjust draw or fade bias for controlling shot shape. The SZ has adjustable weights from and back to control spin up or down? M1 and M2 (same crown), Ping G and Ping G LS (same crown) and those are the other two top selling drivers on the market. Gotta be something to it image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I have no clue on performance, have not hit either, but seemed to be the consensus from some of the reviews (not a ton of difference) between them.

I don't pay much attention to other OEM's for woods, Callaway does it right, and they have a track record of a clean crown for a "player's" head

Not a deal breaker, just more surprised than anything.

Not a big worry for me anyway, as I have no plans to even test this until summer or fall.
    TM Mini 11.5 Smoke 70
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • gregh729gregh729 #TheWRX 2016 Members Posts: 2,878 ✭✭
    I got fitted for the SZ, and I hit it great, but I know I will get a standard head by summer just to goof around with. Lots of ideas rolling around in my head
    Callaway Epic SZ, 9*
    Callaway Epic 15*, 18*
    Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*
    Callaway Steelhead XR, 5-AW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 54F, 58K
    Odyssey O-Works Black 7s
This discussion has been closed.