Comments

• ell_13ell_13 Members Posts: 74
    edited Jan 9, 2017 #1802
    QMany wrote:

New insert technology:

[media=]

oworks-forward-roll-diagram.gif

How is this different from adding loft?
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Callaway Rogue SZ 9*; Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    TM M1 3W; Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    TM M2 3H; TaylorMade REAX 75S
    Srixon 765 4-PW; Modus Tour 120S
    Callaway MD Forged 50*, 54*, 60*; KBS Wedge 120
    GP Tour Wrap Grips on Irons/Wedges
    GP MCC 4 on Woods
    Bettinardi DASS BB0 w/ FIT Face[/font]
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,036 ClubWRX
    ell_13 wrote:

Wouldn't that increase backspin?
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro White 70TX
    Callaway GBB Epic SZ (15°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • youngunz5840youngunz5840 Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭
    QMany wrote:

New insert technology:

[media=]

Looks to me like flicking the ball forward compared to just pushing it. Ball comes off quicker almost like when the Methods first came out and the concept Nike try to do with those. If it has the same effect but better the insert should be a winner. I always seem to go back to a milled Method of some sort because they seems to take off the putter face better for me. I will give those one a try.

Looks to me like flicking the ball forward compared to just pushing it. Ball comes off quicker almost like when the Methods first came out and the concept Nike try to do with those. If it has the same effect but better the insert should be a winner. I always seem to go back to a milled Method of some sort because they seems to take off the putter face better for me. I will give those one a try.

The Method is the first thing I thought of when introduced to this technology at the ECPC! I asked about that, and they explained the Method and other putters with similar technologies use friction that would require a positive AOA to impart topspin. As explained to me, if this new insert was laying flat pointing straight up, you could drop a ball straight down on it, and the hinges would impart topspin even in that neutral setting. So it doesn't require deloft + postitive AOA (more like pro launch conditions), it can get topspin from even 0 loft face and 0 AOA (more like amateur launch conditions).
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

• ell_13ell_13 Members Posts: 74
    QMany wrote:

ell_13 wrote:

I'm looking at the image provided and the arrow pointing up at an angle. I'm not trying to be skeptical; I'm just ignorant. The ball gets rolling due to friction on the ground. So much of that has to do with the golfer's swing path (which determines your putter fit) that the rest is really feel.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Callaway Rogue SZ 9*; Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    TM M1 3W; Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    TM M2 3H; TaylorMade REAX 75S
    Srixon 765 4-PW; Modus Tour 120S
    Callaway MD Forged 50*, 54*, 60*; KBS Wedge 120
    GP Tour Wrap Grips on Irons/Wedges
    GP MCC 4 on Woods
    Bettinardi DASS BB0 w/ FIT Face[/font]
  • mackepamackepa #TheWRX Members Posts: 3,586 ✭✭
    QMany wrote:

The Method is the first thing I thought of when introduced to this technology at the ECPC! I asked about that, and they explained the Method and other putters with similar technologies use friction that would require a positive AOA to impart topspin. As explained to me, if this new insert was laying flat pointing straight up, you could drop a ball straight down on it, and the hinges would impart topspin even in that neutral setting. So it doesn't require deloft + postitive AOA (more like pro launch conditions), it can get topspin from even 0 loft face and 0 AOA (more like amateur launch conditions).

Very well put. Odyssey is very excited for this release.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto
    MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper
    Toulon Austin Longneck Garage
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • misplacedtexan83misplacedtexan83 Members Posts: 15,316 ✭✭
    Another great thing is the how soft the insert(s) feels. For people who like that will be very impressed.
    Callaway Rogue SZ *9.0 w/ UST Mamyia Proforce V2 6F4 (US Open Edition)

Callaway Rogue SZ *13.5 w/ Project X Even flow 75 S

Callaway SZ Rogue SZ *18 w/ Project X Even flow 75 S

Callaway 18' Xforged 4-P w/ KBS $taper 120 S

Callaway Tactical Wedges 50S & 54S & 58W w/ True Temper S200

Odyssey #6 Long Neck White Hot

#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway
    ell_13 wrote:

QMany wrote:

ell_13 wrote:

I'm looking at the image provided and the arrow pointing up at an angle. I'm not trying to be skeptical; I'm just ignorant. The ball gets rolling due to friction on the ground. So much of that has to do with the golfer's swing path (which determines your putter fit) that the rest is really feel.

I think that (right figure) is showing the direction the hinges are returning after flexing at impact (middle figure).

I think it would be easier if they presented a slow-motion video or moving depiction showing how a normal face works and how the insert allegedly works.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

• bd59bd59 Members Posts: 795 ✭✭
    Did any of you guys hit the stock shaft offerings for the Epic ?
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭
    QMany wrote:

New insert technology:

[media=]

Interesting concept. Any idea on price point of these? We looking in the $300+ range, or under $200 like a lot of their offerings?
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,181 ✭✭
    I have a question for you guys that went on the trip. With my slow swing speed of between 86 and 92 do you think I would benefit much from the Epic over lets say a M1?
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,850 ClubWRX
    lawsonman wrote:

I have a question for you guys that went on the trip. With my slow swing speed of between 86 and 92 do you think I would benefit much from the Epic over lets say a M1?

I think Epic and M2 is a better comparison, but that's just me.

Its hard to say without seeing your swing or knowing you shot shape and tendencies. Some say the M1/M2 are fade biased while some say the standard Epic is slightly draw biased. I would recommend you try both and see which one works best for you.
    PING G400 LS 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG Gen1 0311T - DGTI AMT S400
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • My2DogsMy2Dogs Members Posts: 897 ✭✭
    I need an OEM to create an insert that puts the ball in the hole for me. ��
    Driver: PXG Gen 2 XF Driver 9* Tensei Pro White TX 60
    3 wood: Ping 410 14.5*
    PXG Hybrid 19* Veylix Rome 988 X Flex
    PXG 2I 0311X Gen2 Driving Iron Darkness
    PXG 4i 0311X Gen2 Driving Iron C Taper 120 X Flex
    5-GW PXG Gen2 C Taper 120 X Flex
    Reneger 54* bent to 55* SW
    Miura 1957 60* LW
    Odyssey EXO 7
  • misplacedtexan83misplacedtexan83 Members Posts: 15,316 ✭✭
    lawsonman wrote:

See if you can pull up Sean's post about his gains..they were phenomenal for a "slower" swing guy.
    Callaway Rogue SZ *9.0 w/ UST Mamyia Proforce V2 6F4 (US Open Edition)

Callaway Rogue SZ *13.5 w/ Project X Even flow 75 S

Callaway SZ Rogue SZ *18 w/ Project X Even flow 75 S

Callaway 18' Xforged 4-P w/ KBS $taper 120 S

Callaway Tactical Wedges 50S & 54S & 58W w/ True Temper S200

Odyssey #6 Long Neck White Hot

#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,181 ✭✭
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

lawsonman wrote:

I think Epic and M2 is a better comparison, but that's just me.

Its hard to say without seeing your swing or knowing you shot shape and tendencies. Some say the M1/M2 are fade biased while some say the standard Epic is slightly draw biased. I would recommend you try both and see which one works best for you.

I'm actually pretty accurate with a slight fade as my go to shot. My miss is a pull.

lawsonman wrote:

See if you can pull up Sean's post about his gains..they were phenomenal for a "slower" swing guy.

I will do that. I do remember Sean getting great results.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,210 ✭✭
    Sean i believe had the slowest SS yet gained the most yards. There was another question about stock shafts, and i believe Sean was fit into the Diamana Green stock shaft.

If i recall he gained 20yds carry. I snuck away and watched him hit a few balls on the range while Qmany was asking much smarter questions than i would've about putters.
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod
    Did anyone try or get the black Apex irons?
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,850 ClubWRX

I didn't get to try them, but I played with Sean Toulon at Torrey Pines and he had them in the bag. They really looked good. The black finish gives them a more compact look.
    PING G400 LS 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG Gen1 0311T - DGTI AMT S400
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭

Another great thing is the how soft the insert(s) feels. For people who like that will be very impressed.

Which is what appeals to me most about this putter. I know some golfers prefer a "clicky" feel, I like a really soft feel and the "O" is the first putter I hit that gives me that really soft feeling.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

I didn't get to try them, but I played with Sean Toulon at Torrey Pines and he had them in the bag. They really looked good. The black finish gives them a more compact look.

Thanks! I appreciate the reply.
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • bruinsPATSirishbruinsPATSirish Golf is hard. Members Posts: 6,429
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

Thanks! I appreciate the reply.

You want the Apex Pros! That's what I'm going with
    bruinsPATSirish WITB!
    Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
    Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
    Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
    TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
    Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
    Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,508 ✭✭
    Sean, can we get pictures of your fairway woods/heaven woods?

How does the 20 and 23* work out of the rough?

You playing the 23* like a hybrid? What was the reasoning going with the 23 heaven over a hybrid?
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,508 ✭✭
    What's the verdict on the Forged wedges? You guys that got them, you still gaming them?
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • hurricanes7hurricanes7 Members Posts: 2,846 ✭✭
    very curious about the heavenwood
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]DRIVER- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
    3 WOOD- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
    HYBRID- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
    IRONS- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
    GAP- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
    SAND- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
    LOB- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
    PUTTER- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
    BALL- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font]
  • BrizamBrizam Junkie ClubWRX Posts: 948 ClubWRX
    GC70 wrote:

What's the verdict on the Forged wedges? You guys that got them, you still gaming them?

Yes i still have them and I'm playing them 50-54-58. I really like the straighter leading edge, it suites my eye better than the more rounded MD3.
  • proamateurproamateur Members Posts: 120
    Are there any photos of the used MD Forged wedges in this thread? Or will someone post them? Interested to see how the finishes, particularly the slate, hold up after use. Level of rust, colour loss etc.
  • WaterboyWaterboy #TheWRX Members Posts: 1,295 ✭✭
    I wanted to throw up a quick review of the putter and wedges since it looks like they have both been publicly announced by Callaway and other media outlets.

Putter:

The insert has some really cool technology in it. If you look at a few posts up, its really tough to get a really good understanding of what is going on, but the science behind it makes sense.

The microhinge technology is not a way to completely eliminate the backspin the putter imparts on to the ball, but what it does, from my understanding, is reduces it at the impact, and allows the ball to stop skidding and get into its roll a little faster. For example, with a 10'ft putt, the traditional face would impart backspin off the putter for the first 3 ft while skidding along before getting into the roll. What this insert does is reduces the skidding distance maybe by a foot, maybe by six inches, and allows it to get into a roll earlier.

My thoughts on the putter and the head overall: The ball comes off the putter a little softer then if it was a milled face. The feel isn't completely lost, but there is a softer, less clicky feel when compared to milled putter. The head is similar to a versa head, from what I have heard. Multi color with some additional aid marks on the top of the putter head. This was my first go with a versa styled putter but can see how it works and aids in alignment. I haven't done a lot of testing, but it will be the putter in my bag for my upcoming trip. I thought about bringing an extra putter just in case I can't adapt but I don't want to have the crutch. Sink or swim with the putter right now.

Mack Daddy Forged:

I loved these wedges. Loved the feel, loved the weight, loved the less rounded leading edge. The wedge sets up perfect to my eye. The only negative I could say with this. The grind didn't work for me. The R grind, which looks like is the only grind available, is a more aggressive C grind. If you are a digger or really hit down on your wedge shots, this might not be the best fit for you.

I tried to get these to work. I wrote a quick write up of how my wedge fitting went and that was exactly how it went. Wanted to put these in the bag, was strongly recommended against it, tried it and failed.

Future:

I have a few rounds lined up, on a real golf course, in the future and hope to test out the whole bag extensively. I have a few more months until the season starts here, so there are probably a few rounds in the simulator due.
    Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
    Site: www.thebottomgroove.com

WITB:
    Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
    Callaway BBA 5 Wood
    Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
    Apex Hybrid 23deg
    Apex Pro 5i-PW
    MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
    MD3 60 PM Grind
    Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)
    bd59 wrote:

Did any of you guys hit the stock shaft offerings for the Epic ?

I did, and was fitted with the Diamana M+ 40.
    GC70 wrote:

Sean, can we get pictures of your fairway woods/heaven woods?

How does the 20 and 23* work out of the rough?

You playing the 23* like a hybrid? What was the reasoning going with the 23 heaven over a hybrid?

I don't have the Heavenwood and 9-wood yet. They will ship those soon...though I was fitted using both.

The hybrid is 25º. The reason I didn't go with more hybrids is that I hit the woods higher and longer. I didn't have any problem hitting them out of the rough. Though being tall (6'6" with golf shoes on), I have a steep angle of attack.

GC70 wrote:

It's a great wedge. Very responsive around the greens. Great feel too. I may purchase a set to use for practice.

very curious about the heavenwood

The HW worked very well for me. I hit it high with good distance. They hybrids I hit a bit low.
  • thaarthaar Best 3-putter in town! Members Posts: 955 ✭✭
    edited Jan 10, 2017 #1831
    Wow, I finally got through this entire thread. I can only echo what so many people have said thus far. Great reviews by all - I'm not sure you could have selected a better group for this trip. Thank you all for taking time to share your experience, and answer everyone's questions. It has certainly been eye opening and refreshing to see a company have so much love for what they do, while also putting the consumer first.

I haven't considered Callaway in years, and really, for no good reason overall. Reading about the fantastic people they employ, the passion they have for the game, the freedom they're extended to R&D new equipment to attempt to revolutionize the game, and their excellent customer service certainly has made me excited about them as a company. I'll be heading to the store in the near future to check out their new line. I'm particularly interested to see how my 913D2 stacks up against the Epic.
    Huge thanks to Cobra and WRX!

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
    Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
    Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
    Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
    Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
    Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
    Edel E-1
This discussion has been closed.