Tour AD-GP or Tour AD-TP??

Comments

• ccheezyccheezy Members Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Word on the street is that the TP is the DI with a touch less launch and spin. From testing I have seen (Search WRX and there is a pretty good youtube video on it with some numbers) it's pretty marginal.
    M6 - 9* Rogue Elite Blue 65x
    Rogue - 15* Tensei Pro White 80tx
    Apex - 20* Diamana D+ 90x
    Z745 - 4-P DG X100
    RTX4- 50* 54* 60* DG S400
    Piretti Matera Elite (getting kicked ASAP)
    PRO V1 '19
    Leupold GX 4Ia2
    Stitch SL1
  • 3woodvt3woodvt 5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder Members Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    ccheezy wrote:

Word on the street is that the TP is the DI with a touch less launch and spin. From testing I have seen (Search WRX and there is a pretty good youtube video on it with some numbers) it's pretty marginal.
    Didn't hit the TP but the GP is a beast! The AD DI and I did not get along at all during my fitting. GP have me about 8 yards more carry than the 65tourX from Ping.
    Cobra F9 8.0 Atmos TS Black7x
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Adams A12 19* VTS Proforce 100hs
    Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Cleveland 2.0 51**,55**,59*
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,387 ✭✭
    ccheezy wrote:

How much did you tip your ad di in 3w? Is it an 8X?
    Cobra LTD Pro - Matrix Type C Prototype 70X
    TM M2 Tour 3W/3HL - Black Tie 80M4-X
    P790 UDI #2  or  TP UDI #3 - Black Tie HM4 105X   
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*)  Nike VR Forged (56DS)  Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

Swap:
    XR 3Deep - Tour AD TP 8X  | Rogue SZ 3+ - Diamana B 80X  | Bridgestone XD-H #2 - Speeder TS 9.8X 

• JDogg206JDogg206 Members Posts: 265 ClubWRX
    I have a DI 8TX tipped 0.5 in my 3wood. Not bad, but tempted to try the GP 8TX as the DI tends to feel a tad loose when I'm going all out.
    Vapor Fly Pro - Tour AD GP
    Vapor Fly 3+ - Tour AD GP
    Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron - Tour AD DI 105
    Vapor Pro 4 - 9 - Nippon Modus3 Tour 130
    Engage 47, 51, 55, 59 - Nippon Modus3 Tour 125 Wedge
    Method 006 Prototype
    RZN Tour Black
  • 3woodvt3woodvt 5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder Members Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    I was thinking the TP would be the perfect fairway shaft to the GP as well BearQ. Would be curious to hear those who play the GP in Driver and tried it in the 3 wood.

I recently got a 3 metal w the 3 year old speeder 757X and its worked out great.
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • Palauan HammerPalauan Hammer Members Posts: 3,117
    As for 3 wood shafts personally I'm enjoying the Tour AD MT I have in mine, I had it tipped an inch and it's $$$$. Great off the tee and off the deck a while keeping a nice smooth feel. Of course I'd still like to try the TP and GP in a wood just to see how it works.
    OGA Member #3232

Epic SubZero 9* Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi XT 70tx
    Cally Xr Pro 14* GD Tour Ad MT 8tx
    Titleist 714 MB 3-Pw Nippon Modus 130x
    Nike Vr Forged 52,56,60 TT Dg S400
    Ping Anser 2
  • Jmmitch13Jmmitch13 Members Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Peanut191 wrote:

Bomber_11 wrote:

Peanut191 wrote:

Bomber_11, any reason you went with the 60 gram in the AD TP instead of the 70 gram, like the Tensei White?

That's the only version Taylormade has available on their website for upgrade options.

Since I get 40% off everything Taylormade, it made more sense to go that route vs. ordering the AD TP at retail. I believe it's $380 retail, and I paid $419.99 for the M1 driver w/ AD TP in it image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Seems odd that they would offer the 60 gram, but not the 70 gram. I could kind of understand not having an 80 gram, because there probably wouldn't be as much demand, but the 70 seems like it would be popular enough to warrant offering it with the 60. Maybe they'll offer the 70 at a later date.

Taylormade also only offering tensei 60 gram. Odd
    Miura
  • 1jcwallace1jcwallace Members Posts: 169 ✭✭
    Want to try the GP in my 915d2. Currently hitting a Kai'li. What should I expect/not expect?
    G400 MAX 9 AD GP 6
    G400 14.5 15 AD DI 7
    MIZUNO FLI-HI 3 Iron
    MIZUNO MP-18 PW-7/MP-18SC 6-4
    VOKEY SM7 RAW 52F 08
    VOKEY SM7 RAW 56S 10
    VOKEY SM7 RAW 60L 04
    CAMERON NEWPORT 2
    PRO V1X
    1jcwallace wrote:

Want to try the GP in my 915d2. Currently hitting a Kai'li. What should I expect/not expect?
    I wish I could give you more information than some of us have already posted in here but I never hit the Ka'il. I'd say excellence if you get the right flex, length, and weight. It's been very consistent for me adding some yardage but most importantly, its been consistent everytime out and I know what to expect each time I stand over the ball. GD's description on their website is very accurate as it lowered spin and is very stiff in the tip. I would not tip this shaft unless a professional fitter recommended it for you. Good luck.
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
    edited Feb 14, 2017 #71
    Hey folks

I've gone blind order for TP for all my woods! Ive played a similar bend profile for a decade and this shaft is the cream of the crop materials/technology wise. Have only heard positive reviews.

My personal thoughts and reviews will take a bit, won't be able to play till April, but I'll post when I do!

Went with the following specs:

Driver: 7-TX @ 44.75" tipped 0.5"

3W: 8-X @ 42.50" tipped 1"

5W: 8-X @ 41.50" tipped 1"
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Spider Tour Black 

Swap:
    XR 3Deep - Tour AD TP 8X  | Rogue SZ 3+ - Diamana B 80X  | Bridgestone XD-H #2 - Speeder TS 9.8X 

3woodvt wrote:

1jcwallace wrote:

I wish I could give you more information than some of us have already posted in here but I never hit the Ka'il. I'd say excellence if you get the right flex, length, and weight. It's been very consistent for me adding some yardage but most importantly, its been consistent everytime out and I know what to expect each time I stand over the ball. GD's description on their website is very accurate as it lowered spin and is very stiff in the tip. I would not tip this shaft unless a professional fitter recommended it for you. Good luck.

Just realized the similarities in our bag! Blind order the TP for your 3w dude image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Spider Tour Black 

Swap:

BearQ wrote:

3woodvt wrote:

1jcwallace wrote:

Just realized the similarities in our bag! Blind order the TP for your 3w dude image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    I like your style and sig. I'm sure I'll end up with the TP in the 3 before its over...
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • Palauan HammerPalauan Hammer Members Posts: 3,117
    BearQ wrote:

Hey folks

I've gone blind order for TP for all my woods! Ive played a similar bend profile for a decade and this shaft is the cream of the crop materials/technology wise. Have only heard positive reviews.

My personal thoughts and reviews will take a bit, won't be able to play till April, but I'll post when I do!

Went with the following specs:

Driver: 7-TX @ 44.75" tipped 0.5"

3W: 8X @ 42.50" tipped 1"

5W: 8X @ 41.50" tipped 1"

Sounds like a killer set up!!!! Can't wait to hear about it!
    OGA Member #3232

Epic SubZero 9* Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi XT 70tx
    Cally Xr Pro 14* GD Tour Ad MT 8tx
    Titleist 714 MB 3-Pw Nippon Modus 130x
    Nike Vr Forged 52,56,60 TT Dg S400
    Ping Anser 2
  • mah2010mah2010 Grande Prairie ABMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭
    I am also ordering blind, my swing speed averaged 106mph last fitting . I am going to get the tp6 stiff. Would u recommend tipping it? If I remember correctly my Oban purple 65 is tipped 1"
  • Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Posts: 3,531 ClubWRX
    mah2010 wrote:

I am also ordering blind, my swing speed averaged 106mph last fitting . I am going to get the tp6 stiff. Would u recommend tipping it? If I remember correctly my Oban purple 65 is tipped 1"

If I recall correctly 105 driver swing speed is the threshold where Graphite Design moves from S to X.

Being right on the cusp, I'd tip the AD TP 6S 1/2"
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
    PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/54S/60D w/ Pink DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
  • mah2010mah2010 Grande Prairie ABMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭
    Bomber_11 wrote:
    mah2010 wrote:

If I recall correctly 105 driver swing speed is the threshold where Graphite Design moves from S to X.

Being right on the cusp, I'd tip the AD TP 6S 1/2"

Thanks for the reply, I will go with 1/2".
  • ethanshapiroethanshapiro grinder Members Posts: 617 ✭✭
    edited Feb 16, 2017 #78
    GP is outstanding. That said I gained 7 mph switching from Rogue Black to AD-GT. So that is an absolutely phenomenal shaft

EDIT: I also think the GT will be available for less. Worth a shot picking one up, it runs laps around the BB, GP, DI. Only other Tour AD shaft that gives it a real run is the MT.
    TaylorMade M1[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"] 2017 [/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]9.5' Aldila Rogue Silver 60g[/font]
    [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Callaway Rogue [/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]15' Yonex Rexis S 60g[/font]
    Titleist 818 H219' Fujikura Atmos 85g
    TaylorMade PSI KBS Tour Stiff 90g 5-PW
    Titleist SM5 50' 08F Project X 7.0
    Titleist SM6 54'08M Project X 7.0
    Titleist SM5 62' 08T Project X 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2015
    Titleist PRO V1x 2019
    edited Feb 18, 2017 #79
    Well, I made it to the range today with my new AD GP6s in my 915d2 and all I can say is wow. It is freaking perfect for me. I am far less educated than most of you guys on here as far as shaft terminology but all I can say is it is freaking perfect feeling and exactly what I was looking for. I was worried about the "boardy" feeling as a lot of guys on here have said but in my opinion, it felt super stable and had just the right amount of whip that jumps off the face with a mid/high launch with very little spin. I can't wait to get on a monitor and check the numbers. Thanks guys!
    G400 MAX 9 AD GP 6
    G400 14.5 15 AD DI 7
    MIZUNO FLI-HI 3 Iron
    VOKEY SM7 RAW 52F 08
    VOKEY SM7 RAW 56S 10
    VOKEY SM7 RAW 60L 04
    CAMERON NEWPORT 2
    PRO V1X
    edited Feb 18, 2017 #80
    1jcwallace wrote:

Well, I made it to the range today with my new AD GP6s in my 915d2 and all I can say is wow. It is freaking perfect for me. I am far less educated than most of you guys on here as far as shaft terminology but all I can say is it is freaking perfect feeling and exactly what I was looking for. I was worried about the "boardy" feeling as a lot of guys on here have said but in my opinion, it felt super stable and had just the right amount of whip that jumps off the face with a mid/high launch with very little spin. I can't wait to get on a monitor and check the numbers. Thanks guys!
    Nice Wallace. Same results for me and a few others in here. Nice to know there is a shaft specifically for each of us. Please keep us posted.

My only issue is now trying to decide if I want to put a GD or TP in my 3wood.

PS. Like you I also experienced a higher ball flight than expected w low spin. I ended up lowering loft to 8 degrees to get launch down from 15 to around 12-13 and picked up more ball speed and even more distance. However, the most important aspect is control and the GP has my driving game at a very high level of confidence now. Great shaft for those that fit its profile. Congrats on your find.
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
    I went with the DI7s in the 3 wood and 95s in hybrid. I am going to have to butt trim the 3 wood 1/2" and I think it will be good. I always wanted to try the hype behind the Graphite Design Shafts. Glad I finally did. Cant wait to get everything dialed in.
    G400 MAX 9 AD GP 6
    G400 14.5 15 AD DI 7
    MIZUNO FLI-HI 3 Iron
    VOKEY SM7 RAW 52F 08
    VOKEY SM7 RAW 56S 10
    VOKEY SM7 RAW 60L 04
    CAMERON NEWPORT 2
    PRO V1X
    Found a GP for my 3 wood and its a perfect fit again. Just wish it would have been teal instead of black but price and performance trumps looks every time for me. Shaft hunting finally over for me.
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • BigHook25BigHook25 Members Posts: 2,292 ✭✭
    3woodvt wrote:

Found a GP for my 3 wood and its a perfect fit again. Just wish it would have been teal instead of black but price and performance trumps looks every time for me. Shaft hunting finally over for me.

That is great to hear. I have a GP 8x shaft ready, but haven't put it in my 3-wood yet. I'm anxious to try and will definitely post when I re-shaft and see how it performs. This will be my first graphite design shaft I've ever hit, and I've hit about every other major company's shafts.
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,337 ✭✭
    I'm thinking about the GP 7X - can anyone still gaming the GP provide an update? Any additional responses appreciated!
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
    For what it's worth I was thinking of pairing it with the Cobra F7+
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • EntourageLifeEntourageLife EntourageLife Members Posts: 1,016 ClubWRX
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

I paired mine with Tour AD TP 6x. Very solid combo. Currently getting a higher launch with Atmos Red 6x but haven't tested heads up yet.
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,813 ✭✭
    I really want to try the AD TP 6S/7S. Has anyone found them to be whippy at all? Their middle of the road torque specs are right in my preference zone.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • Axman55Axman55 Members Posts: 344 ✭✭
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

I just got this combo yesterday (F7+ with GP 6X) and it's a winner. I've played the last 4 cobra drivers and this one is the culmination of best parts of all. Limited Pro sound and feel, Fly Z forgiveness, F6+ spin control and seems to be as long as the Bio Cell Pro (which I should probably still be gaming). With the GP shaft it's amazing for me. No numbers, the postman dropped it off and I went straight to the range. Couldn't make it go left, which for me will keep it in the bag a long time! The dispersion was amazing. I can't wait to play it. The GP is not boardy at all for me, and I prefer the rebar feel (absolutely hated the DI, it feels like the club head is soooo far behind me at impact I try and whip my hands through to catch up. Can you say pull hooks?). Its real smooth and stays with you no matter how hard you swing. I have a quick/ aggressive transition with too much lag, SS 109-111, and struggle with excessive spin and slightly too low launch (weird right?). This shaft seems to be a perfect fit for those problems.

I have hit the TP in my friends Epic SZ. It's super smooth, and boardered on "soft" feeling to me. Definitely higher ball flight, but I wouldn't say it spun excessively, I hit some bombs with it, but the dispersion wasn't nearly as good for me. However, I don't get along well with non Cobra heads...

Side note: I also got a Atmos Black 7X that I plugged in. Actually hit it a little higher and what seemed to be farther ( it would land and just run!), however I was missing it left on occasion.... But that's a whole other thread.
    Cobra F9 Tensei Pro White 70TX or Accra TZ6 65 X?
    Cobra F9 Tour 14.5 Tensei Pro White 80TX
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Accra TZ6 85X
    Srixon 785 4-PW CTaper
    Vokey SM6 52F CTaper
    Vokey SM6 58L (bent to 57) & 62M TT Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport
    Axman55 wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

I just got this combo yesterday (F7+ with GP 6X) and it's a winner. I've played the last 4 cobra drivers and this one is the culmination of best parts of all. Limited Pro sound and feel, Fly Z forgiveness, F6+ spin control and seems to be as long as the Bio Cell Pro (which I should probably still be gaming). With the GP shaft it's amazing for me. No numbers, the postman dropped it off and I went straight to the range. Couldn't make it go left, which for me will keep it in the bag a long time! The dispersion was amazing. I can't wait to play it. The GP is not boardy at all for me, and I prefer the rebar feel (absolutely hated the DI, it feels like the club head is soooo far behind me at impact I try and whip my hands through to catch up. Can you say pull hooks?). Its real smooth and stays with you no matter how hard you swing. I have a quick/ aggressive transition with too much lag, SS 109-111, and struggle with excessive spin and slightly too low launch (weird right?). This shaft seems to be a perfect fit for those problems.

I have hit the TP in my friends Epic SZ. It's super smooth, and boardered on "soft" feeling to me. Definitely higher ball flight, but I wouldn't say it spun excessively, I hit some bombs with it, but the dispersion wasn't nearly as good for me. However, I don't get along well with non Cobra heads...

Side note: I also got a Atmos Black 7X that I plugged in. Actually hit it a little higher and what seemed to be farther ( it would land and just run!), however I was missing it left on occasion.... But that's a whole other thread.
    I had the exact same experience and problems with the DI and Tour65X from Ping. Glad you've found the "one'. Reading your post made me think of my experience in Dec. My hcp has dropped over 3 strokes and I finally lost my first ball in 10 rounds in a lake that borders my 10th fairway a few weeks back. It is so nice to have eliminated the left that would always grab me in the past. Nice post and enjoy.
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
    Axman55 wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

Thanks for the post! My order has been placed and I can't wait to try out the new setup. We have similar SS as well so I appreciate hearing your thoughts.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Posts: 3,531 ClubWRX
    Loving my M2 Tour 3-wood and M2 5-wood with the AD GP 7X blacks in them.

Super high performance for someone with an aggressive tempo and fast swing.

If I had to compare them to another shaft, I'd say they feel stouter and more muscular than an AD-TP (if that makes any sense).

They also launch lower than AD TP. Really depends on your game. I like to hit mid-launch bombs and am naturally a high ball hitter. So the AD GP works perfect for me.

This is the first time I've been able to own these shafts and play them for an extended period of time. I bought them once before, and sold them right away. But that wasn't the shafts fault and I was just dumb enough back then to think equipment should lower my handicap. Now that I'm giving them a fair shake, they're right there with any shaft I've ever played.

Dispersion is super tight, probably only second to the AD BB. Distance and ball speeds howeever are as good as any fairway woods I've ever hit.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
    PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/54S/60D w/ Pink DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.