Who Is The Greatest Geezer You Ever Saw Play?

Please report in summary the greatest round you ever saw from an older fellow. I saw a 78-year-old man shoot 74 at Pebble Beach GL from the white tees. He was from Kansas and he plays at his home club every day. He rode the golf cart and didn't mind keeping the cart on the path because he had such good control off the tee and he had all the shots. I would estimate his handicap to be about 1. With his classical golf swing he hit the driver dead straight, about 220 off the tee. Crisp contact with the irons and chipped like a pro. No bunkers. He was never a pro, but he just played a hell of a lot after retirement. I asked him how often he shoots his age or better, and he simply answered, "At my home club, all the time."

That was in real life. For television, the greatest round ever must be Gay Brewer at the opening round of the 1998 Masters. Even par and on the first page of the leaderboard!

THe guy I played with yesterday is 77, shot his age, He looks like he is 60, 6 foot 4 , hits the driver about 230, hardly ever misses a fairway, short game is little poor ,has really bad knees so chipping is only part he needs help with

Uses a long putter, I gave him an Orville Moody putter, the long one, he made putts all over the place

I told him I would be the most happy guy on the planet to be able to play like him at 77

There is a guy who plays with the "Mafia" group some. He is from the midlands of SC but has a house here. He is about 74 little in statue but one heck of a ball striker but a streaky putter. He is also one of the top amateur super senior players in the state plays all the CGA Am events. I have played with him on I know at least 5 or 6 times where he has shot his age or better and thankfully most of the time he is one of my partners. Just one amazing player and is sneaky long especially for his age. Heck he shot 69 on a par 72 one day and had 3 3putts no joke

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

One of the founding members of our pot game was the most overall talented golfer I ever played with. In his 70s he played from the club tees with everyone else and I never saw him north of 78. As age caught up he moved to the mens tees and didn't miss a beat still low 70s. He was the best chipper and iron player I've ever played with that wasn't a professional. He was also a chain smoker (think Hogan) and got emphysema. Did the oxygen tank and therapy thing and now I see him still practicing putting. His son is a working pro.

Last summer, surgeon from SanFrancisco expat Brit. Played casual golf with Henry Cotton back in the day. Alastair was his first name. Anyway, I played a round with him and his sons. They were three, I was a single. They asked me to join. I played hickory that day and Alastair was fascinated with my clubs, took him back to his first set, I believe he said. Anyway, a real gent with a fluid move that would do credit to a 35 year old. He shot an effortless 74. As we were walking off to the bar he mentioned it was his birthday. "Oh, happy birthday"said I, "How many" "81"

81 years young.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

I've an old friend who gave the PGA Tour a run in 1960, could not make enough putts to stay. He played in 4 US Opens, 3 Senior Opens. He's 92 now. Plays 6 holes three days a week. Constantly bitchin' about having to hit a 2 iron from 150 yards. Usually makes 3 or 4 pars and a couple of bogeys. The last time we played 18 holes (8 years ago) he shot 76. I'm 60 years old, he still refers to me as 'The Kid'. I wish you guys could meet him. He and Hogan were friends. A walking piece of golf history.

Have an old guy here in town (he's 86 now). Up until about two years ago he was in the 70's for probably 80% of his rounds, from the regular men's tees.

He was one of the top amateurs in the state for a long time. Shooting his age was almost an every day occurrence. Unfortunately he had a small stroke, as well as a couple of other medical issues in the last couple of years. He tires out quickly now and usually won't play more than nine holes.

And just a great guy, we're going to miss him out there when he can't play at all.

I've an old friend who gave the PGA Tour a run in 1960, could not make enough putts to stay. He played in 4 US Opens, 3 Senior Opens. He's 92 now. Plays 6 holes three days a week. Constantly bitchin' about having to hit a 2 iron from 150 yards. Usually makes 3 or 4 pars and a couple of bogeys. The last time we played 18 holes (8 years ago) he shot 76. I'm 60 years old, he still refers to me as 'The Kid'. I wish you guys could meet him. He and Hogan were friends. A walking piece of golf history.

Man I would be picking his brain with my notebook out and BTW you and I are the same age

• 3 weeks later...

We played at the Mountain course at Desert Willow in Palm Desert, Ca in 2009.

We had 3 players so "Irving" from Chicago joined us. We were playing the blue tee boxes back then. He played from the Golds (5600 yards)

He was 93. And shot in the low 80's. Amazing putter and chipper. He was usually on the fairway from the tee and just short of the green on his second. Then chipped on and either one putted for par or two putted for bogey.

He beat the rest of use by ten strokes.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

My buddy the Miura dealer who is 70 informed me yesterday that he shot 68 Friday from the senior tees at TPC MB. He quipped to me that it should have been a 67 but he lipped out a birdie on 17. He is one of the top amateur Super Senior players in the Carolinas. First time he has shot lower than his age since turning 70 he pointed out. I told him 70 was just a number as far as he was concerned he has broke his age several times at 68 and 69 years of age. I told him the number only meant he was getting an extra stroke now

• 2 weeks later...

Grouville senior has his moments. Sadly gives less of a monkey's about competition than I do and rarely finishes a whole round because someone will have been slow or otherwise made him angry. Sub-age shot a few times.

In his persimmon days he could hit those rising flight drivers and was known as "The Traj".

Popping out for nine after school once, he outdrove me down the par five first, but I popped a one iron on the green. He holed a two iron, one down, off to the second tee.

Has had five double-eagles and thinks about fourteen holes in one.

Great memories for you Jonny. Thanks for sharing them with us.

One older gentleman that's in our senior touraments plays a decent game still at 75.

In was in our foursome along with another older senior. The other old guy, lol, me calling someone an old guy, that's the pit calling the kettle black, but I regress, the other old guy was playing from one tee up from from the rest of us, except on the 3 pars. Frank stated matter of fact, that he should think about moving up due to his age. I hope not, he tied my score!!!

Years ago (late 90s) at the Country Club of Coral Springs, (FL) I played with a guy named Willie. He had been the locker room attendant at TPC Eagle Trace when it was a tour stop and was well known by all of the pros.

Willie played in my uncle's golf group but was not a member of the club. A bit down on his luck, he actually would arrive at dawn, work on the grounds crew cutting greens and fairways, then the club would let him tee it up with the men's group at 11 a.m.. I believe he was around 70 years old at the time.

He was a pretty big dude, tall with notably big hands. Given his age, I did not expect him to be much of a player. Well, color me shocked when this guy began hammering tee shots, with many drives over 300 yards, and ultimately shot 68 from the back tees. Seemed like his entire game was powered and controlled by those big leathery hands...capable of generating great speed as well as deft touch...lol! Very impressive!

It wasn't until after the round that I learned he had pitched briefly in the majors and still carried about a plus 3 handicap. After the round he went out to his creeper van (lol) and brought in a scrap book to show me his old baseball photos and pictures of himself with all the big PGA stars of the day. Willie was quite the character and I don't know if he's still with us. It was quite obvious that this guy was a remarkable athlete.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone here on GolfWRX remembers this guy...

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Years ago (late 90s) at the Country Club of Coral Springs, (FL) I played with a guy named Willie. He had been the locker room attendant at TPC Eagle Trace when it was a tour stop and was well known by all of the pros.

Willie played in my uncle's golf group but was not a member of the club. A bit down on his luck, he actually would arrive at dawn, work on the grounds crew cutting greens and fairways, then the club would let him tee it up with the men's group at 11 a.m.. I believe he was around 70 years old at the time.

He was a pretty big dude, tall with notably big hands. Given his age, I did not expect him to be much of a player. Well, color me shocked when this guy began hammering tee shots, with many drives over 300 yards, and ultimately shot 68 from the back tees. Seemed like his entire game was powered and controlled by those big leathery hands...capable of generating great speed as well as deft touch...lol! Very impressive!

It wasn't until after the round that I learned he had pitched briefly in the majors and still carried about a plus 3 handicap. After the round he went out to his creeper van (lol) and brought in a scrap book to show me his old baseball photos and pictures of himself with all the big PGA stars of the day. Willie was quite the character and I don't know if he's still with us. It was quite obvious that this guy was a remarkable athlete.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone here on GolfWRX remembers this guy...

l

Played with an old Cuban gentleman down here a few years back. Told me he was 92 (I believe him) and that I could call him Castro (He looked just like Castro. Who knows?) He shot a 78 on the par 72 course we were playing and beat me by 4 strokes!

P.S. @ dpb5031 the Country Club of Coral Springs is about 2 miles from me and I've played the course many times. I never got to play with Willie but have heard about him.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

• 2 months later...

We had two gentlemen that used to play in our group. Walter and Dude. They each had won our city amateur championship when they were much younger 6. In there 80's they were very competitive golfers and especially with each other. Both regularly shot there age. One Spring they got together for the first 18 of the year. On the first hole Walter knocked it about 20 yards past Dude. Dude was quite upset when he found out that Walter had "worked out" several days a week over the winter at our local YMCA. Dude had to live with it all summer.

Murv

• 2 weeks later...

Don Norbury.

Don Norbury.

I played a round with him at Pine Valley in 2008. He actually had a wear spot in the middle of his Nakashima driver. His Mizuno irons all had dime size spots either in the middle or slighly heel side.

Had a beat up hickory shafted putter that was similar to an Otey Crisman that he played since his days at Lawrenceville School.

I believe he shot a smooth 74, without much effort.

Played a soft draw on every shot.

Smoothest swing I ever saw. Purely effortless. Thinking back, I should have learned much more that day but was in awe of both him and the course. Took a while for that lesson to set in.

I really didn't have much business being there as I was still a beginner. My teaching pro has been lifelong friends with Mr. Norbury, so I had the extreme benefit of that relationship and opportunity.

I will never forget the 11th hole, as I birdied that hole with relative ease. The caddie was from Ireland and told me to not tell anyone in the clubhouse about my birdie. I asked why not and he replied that men have been members here for 30 years and never birdied a single hole.

You can look up Mr. Norbury, he is legendary in his prowess as a golfer and businessman. I was recently at Atlantic City Country Club for a party and was walking around the clubhouse, and got to see just how many times he was the club champion.

I asked around about him, and the story goes that Arnold Palmer was stationed in Cape May at the Coast Guard and would often come to Atlantic City Country Club to play/practice. Word is that Palmer never beat Norbury.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.huntingtonquarterly.com/articles/issue70/campbell.php

wish i had been able to see my grandfather play even just once

He was a big paul bunyan kind of man with a booming voice standing 6'4"

Born in 1930 Logan County west virginia he was poor but having a miner father they traveled around and wound up further north whered hed meet my grandmother getting married in 1950

Took up golf early but only ever able to play in pastures or wherever there was room to hit balls. Began caddying at around 12 or so from what i can remember to make money.

Prior to the war.

By his 20s had moved north up into huntington where he started working on railroads and as a caddy which afforded him the opportunity to play on real courses as he was now hooked on the game and believed talented

He caddied at Guyan Cc and Riviera Cc in LeSage and would find himself caddying for HOFer bill campbell on occasion who was his age and of similar if skinnier build

Patty Berg

Among the others from the area

Moved to detroit for a couple years for automobile work where he tried unsuccessfully to get placed on the ford corporate golf team or whatever it was so he could begin taking the game seriously while getting paid.

Kept caddying

Bummed and terrified of the dangers physical and emotional working in the plant however moved back to huntington whered hed begin caddying again

Now he tells of times caddying and becoming more masterful to the point hed start giving real advice and on one memorable occasion getting into a discussion with campbell that he shouldnt lay up but hit long iron over water

Campbell reportedly telling my grandfather if you think thats the play why dont you hit the shot

And allegedly did

My grandfather told of tales hitting the ball 350 yards and even around 400yards once catching a downslope

That he was a longer driver than campbell and campbell was one of the best hed seen

I dont believe any of this obviously

But then fact check online as hes storytelling and bill campbell had a record drive of somewhere near 340-355 or so

So who really knows

My dad who is a pretty fair golfer says grandpa is serious, honest and was always a great driver

Far outdriving him.

I outdrive my father being much shorter than his 6'1" at 5'8"

In my teens id outdrive him with a 3w

I top out at maybe 290 on the range but never had enough experience on a top notch and dry fairway to gauge my true length in play

And still dont

My grandfather admits his downfall was greenside play and putting

He just never could adjust to the speed well enough

But he was a scratch golfer by all accounts

or very low handicap in my ever suspicious mind

and always wished he had a real opportunity to devote to playing

He moved in 1960 to venice, ca where he started work as a plumber and my father would begin caddying at Riviera Cc alongside my grandfather or after my grandfather had hung it up

But gramps would caddy for rita hayworth who loved golf herself

Vic morrow and he became something of friends through golf and would try on one occasion to get him on as an extra in a movie but declining

Very close friends with lucille ball that lasted till her death when i was in 2nd grade

I met her at her house that year while my dad and he were doing work there my father becoming a plumber as well

Eventually moving back to the huntington area after divorce whered hed remain and id see him only a few times before growing old

Never seeing him even dry swing a golf club before passing away

How much is true?

Im long for my size and very athletic

I saw my arms in his

My wrists

Long fingers

Elbows

If i was anywhere near his size id be real dangerous at every sport

So... Maybe he was

Just never quite got the chance

That cambell bio up there mentions his long drive 328yd winner

He was 7 yrs older than my grandfather and already well known if you were familiar with the game

Dont know.

• 4 months later...

May have played with the best "old guy" I have ever played with yesterday. Opening day at the club I work at, after a six month renovation. The staff was invited to play with the membership and I was paired up with an older gentleman.

My boss told me before we headed out that the old cat was a player.

We were playing with an ex Hogan/Dot Com player that I knew and my bosses son.

The old guy was in his mid to late seventies and said he would "move up" to the senior tees with me ( I was playing persimmon and blades) to keep me company.

He didn't miss a shot all day, not a long knocker by any means, but, straight down Broadway with every tee ball.

Where he really shined was knowing where to place his approach shots and getting into position. Best use of course management I have ever seen. He ended up about 5 over on his own ball and was upset. Talking at lunch after the round he said he plays to a 2, and back in the day was a plus 3.

Fairways and greens, nothing flashy, just never shot himself in the foot.

May have played with the best "old guy" I have ever played with yesterday. Opening day at the club I work at, after a six month renovation. The staff was invited to play with the membership and I was paired up with an older gentleman.

My boss told me before we headed out that the old cat was a player.

We were playing with an ex Hogan/Dot Com player that I knew and my bosses son.

The old guy was in his mid to late seventies and said he would "move up" to the senior tees with me ( I was playing persimmon and blades) to keep me company.

He didn't miss a shot all day, not a long knocker by any means, but, straight down Broadway with every tee ball.

Where he really shined was knowing where to place his approach shots and getting into position. Best use of course management I have ever seen. He ended up about 5 over on his own ball and was upset. Talking at lunch after the round he said he plays to a 2, and back in the day was a plus 3.

Fairways and greens, nothing flashy, just never shot himself in the foot.

Sounds like George. I met him in a bowling league that I used to belong to a number of years ago. Only got to play with him once, but my recollection was similar to what you described. He simply took the course apart and shot an easy round in the 70's despite being 80 at the time. He passed away this spring at the ripe old age of 92. His wife Dorothy is still alive, but she didn't remember me. Old age can be cruel. :(

Fairways and greens my friends.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Met a guy a year and a half ago, his appearance was someone in his late 60's and early 70's, slim and medium height, nice demeanor as most good golfers would have.

I did not pay attention to him and his buddy as they were riding golf cart, I was the 4th with one other single walked on been paired as 4-some. Until, he started making par after par.

I could still picture him sitting on the bench just behind the first tee box, gazing out to the first fairway. With the blue sky, white cotton clouds in a beautiful late Spring afternoon.

Anyway, after we made the turn, I asked his playing partner if he was a golf professional in the past ? His partner said no, he was never a pro. but he grew up around golf all his life and he was 81....... 81 ?

I could not believe it as he loosen up coming in and started to drive the golf balls over 275 , The 3rd guy asked his riding partner of name, and was amazed of his age when was told. The 3rd golfer stated " I play a lot of senior tournament and I played allover the region and the Nation, why I had never heard of you ? I was trying to keep up with your drive all day...."

I only wish I will be able to get on the golf course when I hit 81, physically and financially.

• 1 year later...

When I was younf may dad and I would often go on golf tours. We had the luck on one trip to play with an older gentleman (Mid 70's) who had qualified for the open sometime in the 60's. He played beautifully and shot 69 round a decent course. Turns out that not long after his open appearance he fell from a ladder at work and damaged his back. He ended up taking 12 years off golf before returning.

I wish I had been wise enough at the time to really study him and try and extract as much info as possible from him.

I play with 2 individuals fairly regularly that are mid 70s. One guy is a retired dentist, and one guy is an accountant. They both rarely if ever shoot above a 75. Both hit driver 220- 235 with a draw, but thier game is all in thier irons and wedges. The dentist plays a different set of clubs almost every time we play, usually modern clubs, and cannot miss a wedge shot, never has a long putt. He played college golf, for a divison one school.The accountant also retired used to write for a national golf magazine, he just has a great all around game and plays all over the country. They both play from the members tees, 6300 yards. I have never beaten them with my handicap which is 14. My normal partner at that club played best ball against the dentist and we beat him on 18 by one stroke, he is also a 14. I am exactly two clubs stronger than him through the bag, but he is just so much better and has an effortless swing.