Who has been to the PGA show?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is, in sum, a blast.

I used to go every year but now it falls at the same time as a big FF convention that I end up going to.

Be sure you:

1. Get there early. There's always free stuff and the early bird gets the worm. I have come away with all sorts of incredible things.

2. Enjoy the indoor putting area. And check out the tech devices. Just take your time and take it all in.

3. Set aside some time to actually hit a course or two in Orlando. We have a ton of awesome courses just itching to be played.

4. I don't know if they still do it but I always used to hit it on Sunday because many of the vendors will part with their stuff to prevent having to pack it up. One year I got a brand new 5W for $60 still in the plastic and my buddy got an incredible deal on a staff bag - brand new for $100.

If you look around there are bags hanging all over the place. Grab one or two. Will help when it comes time to get free tees, pens, hats, coozies, golf gadgets, balls, and the list goes on.

And last but not least your electronic entry badge can be scanned by vendors. Quite often this enters you into giveaways. I didn't win but my buddy did - a free all expenses paid trip to the WGHoF. We stayed and played! It was legit - didn't pay anything but tips!!!

Enjoy buddy. You are in for a treat!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

The PGA Show is a show for people in the industry who are buyers, not Walmart shoppers. If someone is getting in as a guest of a vendor, how about showing a little respect and not be a sponge off of the people in the industry have to spend $50,000 of more just to be there. Those gifts are for customers and prospective customers.

It's a Merchandise show for the industry, not a free shopping reality show.

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

Is your trip work related or are you getting in through different means?

If you're not working, it's probably a great way to soak up all of the new products for 2017 and just nerd out.

If you are working, take advantage of the opportunity to make new relationships with vendors and wear comfortable shoes. I feel like I probably walk 3 miles everyday throughout the convention center.

Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

The PGA Show is a show for people in the industry who are buyers, not Walmart shoppers. If someone is getting in as a guest of a vendor, how about showing a little respect and not be a sponge off of the people in the industry have to spend $50,000 of more just to be there. Those gifts are for customers and prospective customers.

At the time I was selling golf equipment on behalf of a major retailer on eBay. I was a buyer. So if your reply was aimed at me show a little respect and don't make assumptions.

If aimed at anyone else, think about it for a moment. The items I obtained when I visited had the business names on them. The whole point, for example, of a tee with a business name on it is to get someone to use it, lose it, another finds it, and the business gets a little more advertising. That's one silly example but many of the things that were offered to me (I never "took" anything - it was offered each time) had business ads on them. And frankly the one year my host got a table there I was told to give the stuff out.

As for buying the stuff on the final day I was there wondering around, some of the vendors offered up deals, and I parted with the cash. Nothing like some sort of "reality show". It was a blast wondering around and seeing all things golf.

In the end I was able to add to what we were selling, make some great contacts, and have a lot of fun along the way. May have changed since last time I was there but not completely I would wager.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

The best part is seeing and getting to hear a lot of players talk about new sponsors, etc.

I got to eat lunch with Tom Kite and his son. They just pulled up chairs at one of the big dining tables in the food court area.

The strangest thing is seeing past Tour Pros as vendors. I remember seeing Kenny Knox sitting at a small booth by himself selling artificial turf putting greens. Less than five years earlier he had lead just about every major championship. Weird how golf is.

Some of the funniest were a few booths with absolutely no signage, and just an Asian woman that spoke no English sitting at a bare card table. We figured that probably wasn't the best use of the companies advertising dollars.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

The best part is seeing and getting to hear a lot of players talk about new sponsors, etc.

I got to eat lunch with Tom Kite and his son. They just pulled up chairs at one of the big dining tables in the food court area.

The strangest thing is seeing past Tour Pros as vendors. I remember seeing Kenny Knox sitting at a small booth by himself selling artificial turf putting greens. Less than five years earlier he had lead just about every major championship. Weird how golf is.

LOL - I saw Kenny Perry.

It was surreal. Not a lot of people hanging around him. He was with one of his sponsors at the time (can't recall which one) and because there was no one around I walked up, said hello and we chatted for a couple of minutes. I got the impression he didn't want to be there but it was part of his contract or something.

The final year I was there they had a driving demo by Corey Pavin. Could not even get close enough to see that one.

The coolest thing, by far, was the green they had setup. It was twofold cool - at the time Nike was making some awesome putters and in addition it was a new artificial turf that people could put in their back yards as a putting green. It had breaks and everything you could imagine and was huge. And in the afternoon each day Nike sponsored putting comps. It was such a blast getting to try the newest of the Nike putters, the newest of the Nike balls, and trying to make a 10 foot slider for a sleeve of said balls. By Sunday they were giving those sleeves to everyone who so much as touched one of their putters. I put my boss in touch with the guy who handled our region and we added those putters to our line but we didn't sell too many. At the time they cost a pretty good amount and there wasn't a big margin so we ended up sticking with drivers to make our online endeavors worthwhile.

Final thought that reminds me of something odd.

I don't recall seeing Titleist there. Or Taylormade.

But Acushnet and Adidas were there with clothing.

Was a little hard to understand how the biggest names in the game didn't show with their equipment.

Cobra, Ping, Callaway, Never Compromise, Wilson, Yes, and Nike were there in full force. Along with a ton of others. The show is quite literally all things golf.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Is your trip work related or are you getting in through different means?

If you're not working, it's probably a great way to soak up all of the new products for 2017 and just nerd out.

If you are working, take advantage of the opportunity to make new relationships with vendors and wear comfortable shoes. I feel like I probably walk 3 miles everyday throughout the convention center.

I'm going with the director of golf and another guy from the course I play out of. So just going for the experience and see what its all about

I have been twice and I'm not in the industry. My impression is that the vendors handing out freebies could not have cared less if I was in the industry or not. And they were more than happy to take my money if I wanted to purchase something on the spot. Or later, as in when the wife purchased a remote controlled push cart she had seen at the show.

The show has evolved over the years. Few know (or care to know) that the first shows were just reps, selling out of the trunks of their cars, when there were a few winter events in Florida.

Then, as the PGA became more of a "for profit" non-profit, the money got pretty big, the show moved to Orlando, and it became monstrous.

Then, the recession hit, the show shrank, and now, it is making a comeback.

Titleist, Spalding, Wilson, Ping, all use to have massive displays and floor space. Today...do they really need to do all that?

As has been pointed out, everyone here on WRX obviously has some degree of computer savvy, and social media seems to be the "preferred" delivery method of marketing today.

I'm contemplating a return to the show this year, but haven't made up my mind yet.

The last time I went, I took my now deceased father-in-law with me (one of the last years that I didn't have to pay an additional fee for a guest)....and, it was almost impossible to keep him from taking everything from every display. He believed that those stacks of dozen boxes of golf balls were for everybody to just help themselves to....and, I'm sure it has only gotten worse.

Again...historically, at one time, golf pros would often do all of their next season's ordering right at these shows, and I'm sure that many still try. The fact is that it's almost impossible to do so, and that is one of the reasons it has evolved into the event that it is. So many people not really "in the industry" wanting to be a part of the industry.

And, what is the industry today, anyway?

People attending to purchase things to sell online. This leads to "show-rooming", where pro shop/golf course "A" stocks inventory to demonstrate and sell. Customer "B" goes to try it out, and goes online to "find it cheaper", where online retailer "C" has inventory....some of it real, some of it not....priced below pro shop/golf course "A"s price.

Just a huge circle jerk. Golf balls.....very little to no margin in selling them, as now we have the K-sig. I'm pretty sure that Costco won't be at the show.

JDM equipment....you'll probably see a few of them, but....don't expect to just walk in and place an order....altho, I'm sure that will be coming down the pike soon as well.

I'll admit, that the one thing that I would be interested in seeing would be Wilson, if they have chosen to attend. How they will play out with the Triton debacle.

So....to sum up, from a veteran who has attended many a show: I wish you well. It can be a bit intimidating, kind of what I like to refer to as "drinking from the fire hose". So much is thrown at you, that sensory overload is a possibility. Please consider those who are there at the show to actually conduct business, and allow them that room to do so.

Have fun....stay hydrated....find some good courses in Orlando, or nearby, and play....and, as always, be respectful of those around you, and be safe.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Bring a lot of ones.

I almost choked at your reply.

On Sunday the Dunlap vendor was really eager to get rid of all of the balls he had left. He was selling them for $1/dozen. I had a LOT of ones. Well, in the end, he had a lot of ones. I don't think he was certain that he was better off with a wad of ones or just packing up the Locos. I think I still have a couple of dozen of them somewhere around here.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

The show has evolved over the years. Few know (or care to know) that the first shows were just reps, selling out of the trunks of their cars, when there were a few winter events in Florida.

Then, as the PGA became more of a "for profit" non-profit, the money got pretty big, the show moved to Orlando, and it became monstrous.

Then, the recession hit, the show shrank, and now, it is making a comeback.

Titleist, Spalding, Wilson, Ping, all use to have massive displays and floor space. Today...do they really need to do all that?

As has been pointed out, everyone here on WRX obviously has some degree of computer savvy, and social media seems to be the "preferred" delivery method of marketing today.

I'm contemplating a return to the show this year, but haven't made up my mind yet.

The last time I went, I took my now deceased father-in-law with me (one of the last years that I didn't have to pay an additional fee for a guest)....and, it was almost impossible to keep him from taking everything from every display. He believed that those stacks of dozen boxes of golf balls were for everybody to just help themselves to....and, I'm sure it has only gotten worse.

Again...historically, at one time, golf pros would often do all of their next season's ordering right at these shows, and I'm sure that many still try. The fact is that it's almost impossible to do so, and that is one of the reasons it has evolved into the event that it is. So many people not really "in the industry" wanting to be a part of the industry.

And, what is the industry today, anyway?

People attending to purchase things to sell online. This leads to "show-rooming", where pro shop/golf course "A" stocks inventory to demonstrate and sell. Customer "B" goes to try it out, and goes online to "find it cheaper", where online retailer "C" has inventory....some of it real, some of it not....priced below pro shop/golf course "A"s price.

Just a huge circle jerk. Golf balls.....very little to no margin in selling them, as now we have the K-sig. I'm pretty sure that Costco won't be at the show.

JDM equipment....you'll probably see a few of them, but....don't expect to just walk in and place an order....altho, I'm sure that will be coming down the pike soon as well.

I'll admit, that the one thing that I would be interested in seeing would be Wilson, if they have chosen to attend. How they will play out with the Triton debacle.

So....to sum up, from a veteran who has attended many a show: I wish you well. It can be a bit intimidating, kind of what I like to refer to as "drinking from the fire hose". So much is thrown at you, that sensory overload is a possibility. Please consider those who are there at the show to actually conduct business, and allow them that room to do so.

Have fun....stay hydrated....find some good courses in Orlando, or nearby, and play....and, as always, be respectful of those around you, and be safe.

Have a Merry Christmas!

You will be really close to Shingle Creek. They recently completed their upgrades and, if I were just visiting Orlando, this would be one I would put on the list of got-to-play courses.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Final thought that reminds me of something odd.

I don't recall seeing Titleist there. Or Taylormade.

But Acushnet and Adidas were there with clothing.

Was a little hard to understand how the biggest names in the game didn't show with their equipment.

The year after I went, Titleist made a big announcement that they would no longer being doing the show. Too much money and no real reason to do it. Instead they sent all their preferred vendors for a four day weekend golf trip at a LaQuinta resort. My boss got to go and he said that was a much better use of advertising dollars than just setting up a huge booth in Orlando. All the head pros got to try out new equipment, met some players, ate at nice restaruants etc.

A few other big names did the same and the PGA show was probably getting nervous so they started reducing the price for floor space.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Bring a lot of ones.

On Sunday the Dunlap vendor was really eager to get rid of all of the balls he had left. He was selling them for $1/dozen. I had a LOT of ones. Well, in the end, he had a lot of ones. I don't think he was certain that he was better off with a wad of ones or just packing up the Locos. I think I still have a couple of dozen of them somewhere around here.

All of those ones wound up at Rachel's. :).

Bring a lot of ones.

Ha!

Upstairs or down?

Only someone who has visited this fine establishment could possibly know what I am referring to.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I have always wanted to go and will actually be in town for the demo day and the first day of the show. Would anyone be willing to help a fellow member out? Would love to get to the demo day as I am left handed and usually don't ever get to try till late summer here in Colorado. I am even up to play a round on Wednesday morning?

Just throwing a stone out there hoping to catch a fish!

Happy New Year

Who Should Attend?

• Golf Industry Professionals
  • Buyers for Golf Facilities and Courses
  • Golf Course Owners, Presidents, and Managers
  • PGA & LPGA Professionals (International and Domestic)
  • Assistant PGA Professionals and PGA Apprentices
  • Golf and Pro-Shop Owners and Managers
  • Golf Coaches and Instructors
  • Directors of Golf
  • Students and Entrepreneurs of the Golf Industry
  • Golf Tournament Directors and Organizers

The free registration ended back in December. If you go to education sessions, that costs money. I'm not PGA, so I don't need or care to go to any of the education sessions. The show is fun, and on your first trip, can be intimidating. If you go, just enjoy it and see all the new stuff and random stuff that is out there. If you are just going as a guest, feel free to grab some of the freebies if they are just giving it out, but just be aware that some people are there for business reasons, so go and check everything out but just be aware of why a lot of people are there. It will be fun. I always try and keep a couple hours free in my schedule to walk the floor and take everything in.

edit to add: that list is from the PGAshow.com website. Not my opinion that only those people should go. I think if you have the chance to go and are interested in the business side of golf and all that is out there, feel free!

Who Should Attend?

• Golf Industry Professionals
  • Buyers for Golf Facilities and Courses
  • Golf Course Owners, Presidents, and Managers
  • PGA & LPGA Professionals (International and Domestic)
  • Assistant PGA Professionals and PGA Apprentices
  • Golf and Pro-Shop Owners and Managers
  • Golf Coaches and Instructors
  • Directors of Golf
  • Students and Entrepreneurs of the Golf Industry
  • Golf Tournament Directors and Organizers

The free registration ended back in December. If you go to education sessions, that costs money. I'm not PGA, so I don't need or care to go to any of the education sessions. The show is fun, and on your first trip, can be intimidating. If you go, just enjoy it and see all the new stuff and random stuff that is out there. If you are just going as a guest, feel free to grab some of the freebies if they are just giving it out, but just be aware that some people are there for business reasons, so go and check everything out but just be aware of why a lot of people are there. It will be fun. I always try and keep a couple hours free in my schedule to walk the floor and take everything in.

edit to add: that list is from the PGAshow.com website. Not my opinion that only those people should go. I think if you have the chance to go and are interested in the business side of golf and all that is out there, feel free!

As I said before it's been awhile since I went but the last time I was there registration was a simple matter of walking in, showing my ID, and getting my pass. Because I was a buyer (said it on ID pass) I was able to chat with a lot of interesting people about the industry.

There were some really odd products there. A cigar humidor for a cart with its own battery. Yellow glasses that supposedly made it easier to read greens. A remote control golf ball. It was interesting to say the least. I was there specifically to look at certain products to add to what we were selling at the time but had to try to take as much in as possible. It was just an absolute blast!

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 weeks later...

I am lucky to have friends in the industry and live in Orlando so they let me tag along as a guest. Orange County National where they hold demo day is 10 minutes from my house and is always a great experience..thats really where you can get to see what the new stuff can do on the huge range at OCN. The show is just the ultimate playground for a golf nerd :) I really try to not go after freebies out of respect for my hosts but some vendors practically force you take stuff and it seems impolite to say no. I have to admit that I did go to the Exotics booth really wanting a hat and they did hook me up :) I typically make a few purchases (training aids, tools..etc) every year as well. I think the Impact Snap is at the top of my list this year:) If you have a chance to go I would jump at it.

Bring a lot of ones.

Ha!

Upstairs or down?

Only someone who has visited this fine establishment could possibly know what I am referring to.

Lifetime VIP here......There's a downstairs????......I guess we go in through the kitchen! Not the place it used to be, but still impressive....LMAO

My fondest show memories would be in the mid-90's when we (I was asst gm at a big resort) were taken over to the Peabody across the street. On one floor there were suites FILLED with knockoff copies of all the big brands.......Literally identical clubs, Guy said it was ALL already sold........Gave me a wedge that was IDENTICAL to the Wilson JP 53 I had in the bag, said it was gonna be sold at $23. Club was sweet, I'd have never known the difference.......

30 years of attending the PGA Show has sort of jaded me but when the show was actually owned by the PGA of America it was a different (and better in some ways) show. 1983 was the 1st PGA Show I attended and 2013 was the last. Covered 3 shows for Golfwrx but now that they have moved up the days I just stay on SoCal covering the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey.

Don't miss it at all.

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, seems like the attendance has dropped over the years. Probably a better use of time just to look online and spend time gas/hotel money getting custom fitted for new clubs.

WITB:
Driver: Srixon 745 9.5* Diamana Ion Blue X
4 Wood: Taylormade Aeroburner 16.5* White Tie X
5 Wood: Nike SQ 2 Tour (w/Project X 6.0)
Utility: Srixon 745U 23* Project X 6.0
Irons: 5 - PW Srixon 745 Project X 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 588 (50*,54*,58*)
Putter: Odyssey Versa Works 33"

We'll be going as a whole crew next year. 2 PGA head pros, me and another asst. (apprentices), the owner, his wife, the two head pro's wives and we can bring one other person each. On the company dime (or so I'm told)

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"