How much does reshafting irons run you?

Lance ·  
LanceLance  161WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 161
I got a price to get X-100's put in my clubs, and it was like $400, I thought that was a little crazy being as they go for $11 each on the golfsmith site. This was at $15/club for install. I wanted PX but I thought the X-100's would be cheaper but holy cow....so I didn't even dare ask how much. At this point I'm contemplating dumping my clubs on ebay and picking up another set with the other shafts and possibly break even.
Posted:

Comments

• truck13truck13  708WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 708
    i just got satin px's in my bridgestones 3-pw, px in my 54 deg and a spinner in my 60 all with tour velvets for 321.00, i know he gave me a great deal tho..it would have been well over 400 at other shops and they turned out great, swingweights all perfect loft and lies bent too...
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TM golf guyTM golf guy  9985WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 9,985
    Reshafting a set of irons is insanely expensive. If it ever comes to the point where I will need to pay to get it done then I will do it myself every time instead of just some times.
    Posted:
  • chop180chop180  367WRX Points: 55Members Posts: 367
    This site offers a ton of information if you want to attempt to do it yourself, it's really not all that difficult. You could purchase shafts/extractor/spine finder/ laser(floing) for less than the cost of one reshaft. Plus you get to enjoy the pleasure of working on you own clubs....if your into that.

But it can also lead to an entirely new addiction. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2  31412WRX Points: 651Members Posts: 31,412
    chop180 wrote on Feb 13 2008, 01:18 AM:
    This site offers a ton of information if you want to attempt to do it yourself, it's really not all that difficult. You could purchase shafts/extractor/spine finder/ laser(floing) for less than the cost of one reshaft. Plus you get to enjoy the pleasure of working on you own clubs....if your into that.

But it can also lead to an entirely new addiction. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Where do you buy that stuff?
    Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. 

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is, and not as it should be. 

• muxi87muxi87 muxi87  5263WRX Points: 56Members Posts: 5,263
    Lance wrote on Feb 12 2008, 10:58 PM:
    I got a price to get X-100's put in my clubs, and it was like $400, I thought that was a little crazy being as they go for $11 each on the golfsmith site. This was at $15/club for install. I wanted PX but I thought the X-100's would be cheaper but holy cow....so I didn't even dare ask how much. At this point I'm contemplating dumping my clubs on ebay and picking up another set with the other shafts and possibly break even.

dumping the clubs and buying others with the shafts you want would be the cheaper alternative...

You have to really think about the hidden costs of the reshaft:

1) shafts

2) grips

3) epoxy

4) grip tape

5) grip solvent

6) ferrules

7) TIME

still, $400 for X100 does sound high!!!

as for buying the stuff, order from golfworks or golfsmith...that's where all my stuff has come from.
    Posted:
  • TLT_DanTLT_Dan TLT_DAN Hampton, ON 1081WRX Points: 128Members Posts: 1,081
    There is more work in reshafting than there is in building new.

The cost should be higher but in most shops it is not.

$400 does not sound that bad to me - as it included the cost of new shafts and grips?

That's only about $30 / club labour.
    Posted:

Regards Dan

True Length Technology

True Frequency Technology

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • withdrewwithdrew  2107WRX Points: 0Unregistered Posts: 2,107
    That might even be more than your clubs are worth.

There's always deals to be had on the BST forums, and so many people here play X-Stiff shafts, you'll find something in no time. $400 (to me) is crazy to spend, unless you had some insanely rare or super-expensive heads, like Miura or Scratch or something like that...
    Posted:
  • LanceLance  161WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 161
    yeah...the clubs were $350 and I passed on a set with x-100s for less money because I thought I just needed stiff, to find out I needed x. So $400 to fix the mistake would hurt. I'm a vw mechanic so I think I can handle re-shafting myself...I'm going to read about it more.
    Posted:
  • blade_manblade_man  2586WRX Points: 1Members Posts: 2,586
    dumping the clubs and buying others with the shafts you want would be the cheaper alternative...

You have to really think about the hidden costs of the reshaft:

1) shafts

2) grips

3) epoxy

4) grip tape

5) grip solvent

6) ferrules

7) TIME

still, $400 for X100 does sound high!!!

as for buying the stuff, order from golfworks or golfsmith...that's where all my stuff has come from.

Couple of things you left out, something to cut the shafts, some way to measure the shafts, something to abrade the shafts, something to capture the quip solvent in, something to hold the shaft and head when you grip it and I am sure I have left something out like a vice, table to work on and paying the rent!
    Posted:
  • AwalkspoiledAwalkspoiled  3328WRX Points: 147Members Posts: 3,328
    Lance wrote on Feb 13 2008, 04:15 PM:
    yeah...the clubs were $350 and I passed on a set with x-100s for less money because I thought I just needed stiff, to find out I needed x. So $400 to fix the mistake would hurt. I'm a vw mechanic so I think I can handle re-shafting myself...I'm going to read about it more.

Welcome to the divine madness image/partytime2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

When you've done all the reading-up you can, feel free to drop me a line and I'll be glad to talk you through it step by step - I'm a big fan of every serious player knowing how to do the basics and with the basics you can make a very playable set. Some of my best customers are guys who actually know how to do most normal reshafts, but are looking for something more.

For a true blueprinting - loft/lie perfect, length/swingweight perfect, spine/FLO all shafts, frequency-matched set on a specific slope or curve - well, that's always going to be the domain of guys who have invested in their own skill and suitable measuring equipment. If that's what the $400 was buying it's not all that high. For a cut and glue job it's a bit much I agree.
    Posted:
    2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
    Cally XHP 15°/Altus or 3Deep/Striper H2
    Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
    Cally XHP23/Altus hb or Cally X-Prototype 24°/Program 95
    6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
    Scratch D/D wedges
    Bettinardi QB3
  • 20something20something  616WRX Points: 55Members Posts: 616
    Paid $37 a club to Ping to reshaft with AWTs with Cushin inserts. But I think they check everything and update the file they keep on set. I could have done it myself (I think) cheaper but it voids Ping's 'forever' warranty. Plus I don't have a shaft extractor so that makes it a lot more difficult.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.