ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

SuperSpeed Golf training system

Comments

• trippdudleytrippdudley ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 56
    blazman11 wrote:
    Thanks for the confirmation. I've been making every swing as fast as I can possibly make it. Is that correct or should I back off a litttle bit as I go through the G,B,R progression?

Definitely no backing off. Full tilt every swing.

I did step up to 5 reps early on and had great gains. However, I think my advice would be to follow the program. While I'm very happy with my results and will stay with this, it seems I've plateaued. The extra reps might have helped me get results quick, but they would have come either way. Going to 5 is a higher risk of injury. And I'm sure part of this program is muscle confusion- so there prob a benefit in going from 3 to 5
  • blazman11blazman11 Advanced Members Posts: 448 ✭✭
    Thanks again. One of the reasons I wanted clarification is the injury risk. that >100 swings at full tilt seemed a bit much but I'm good if that is what the program calls for. I'll just have to make a conscious effort to use the bigger muscles, especially during the latter half of a training session.

I started the program in earnest Monday and did a couple sessions in the previous two weeks just to get a feel for everything. The gains people have been reporting are encouraging so I'm excited to give this a go.
  • CwingCwing Advanced Members Posts: 7,965 ✭✭
    blazman11 wrote:

Can someone please verify my understanding of the initial phase? The way I read the material is as follows (I'm a lefty):

3x swings Green LH, 3x swings Green RH.

Repeat Blue and Red. Do 3 sets.

3x step swings Green Lh. 3x step swings Green RH.

One LH swing with Green (going off memory, could be 3).

Total swings = 109

So three sets? I thought the intro program was a once through process.
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    Once through using each color, yes. So three sets in total. It is a bit confusing.
  • fawleyfawley Advanced Members Posts: 351
    edited April 2017
    Cwing wrote:

blazman11 wrote:

Can someone please verify my understanding of the initial phase? The way I read the material is as follows (I'm a lefty):

3x swings Green LH, 3x swings Green RH.

3x step swings Green Lh. 3x step swings Green RH.

One LH swing with Green (going off memory, could be 3).

Total swings = 109

So three sets? I thought the intro program was a once through process.

It is. The introductory protocol is 39 swings total.

3 swings on dominant side green / 3 swings on non-dominant side green

3 swings on dominant side blue / 3 swings on non-dominant side blue

3 swings on dominant side red / 3 swings on non-dominant side red

3 step through swings on dominant side green / 3 step through swings on non-dominant side green

3 step through swings on dominant side blue / 3 step through swings on non-dominant side blue

3 step through swings on dominant side red / 3 step through swings on non-dominant side red

3 swings on dominant side green
    Sorry now I'm confused again.

Option A) 3 swings red dominant, 3 swings red non-dominant = 1 set.

Option B) (3 swings red dominant, 3 swings red non-dominant) x 3 = 1 set

It's a big difference in total number of swings and the whole quantification of sets in the video is where my confusion comes from.

Option A = 39 swings in total

Option B = 111 swings in total (number differs from my first post as I couldn't remember if final green was 1 swing or 3).

Thanks again
    Ah ok thanks for clarifying that!

Ive been doing the 111 swing method and I'm dog tired after. Seemed counter intuitive as once you get tired, mechanics break down and usually has an adverse effect (also piggy backs on my comment around injury).

39 makes much more sense. Oh well, does that mean I can skip the next few workouts since I've already done 111 three times over the past two weeks? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • deathbymuffindeathbymuffin Advanced Members Posts: 519
    edited April 2017
    blazman11 wrote:

It's a big difference in total number of swings and the whole quantification of sets in the video is where my confusion comes from.

Option B = 111 swings in total (number differs from my first post as I couldn't remember if final green was 1 swing or 3).

Thanks again

Sorry. I think that was my fault since I said you were "mostly right." I obviously didn't read it too closely.

It's Option A. 39 swings total. If I had tried Option B, my arms would probably have fallen off. image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' />
    3 reps X 13 times = 39
    PING G25 5-U
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
    No worries, that's what the forum is about. But when someone said they did 5 sets I'm thinking there's no way I can do that unless I do a full round of P90x first. The way I was performing sets up to this point, 5 sets would equal 183 swings and that would just be super human.

Anyways thanow again for everyone's help. I'm definitely looking forward to 2/3 fewer swings. Doing the full 111 swings was a chore and I was really starting to question the training.
  • Dixie FlatlineDixie Flatline Advanced Members Posts: 525
    edited April 2017

Tuff too tell too be honest? I have been doing the system 3x a week since mid January. I started out with a 104 ss and now I am at 106. I have been swinging as hard as possible and not sure this is correct? Now I try too swing as fast as possible. I went to Palm Desert last month and was clocked on a simulator at 114 come too find out it was juiced 8mph an hour. I honestly have to say I am discouraged but still sticking with it for the time being.

I'm a little disappointed, too.

I'm three sessions in and I only track the last three swings at the end. I also give one full out rip with a normal gamer driver.

In three sessions, I hit my fastest numbers with the stick in the first session. I've picked up a slight amount with the driver, but nothing earth shattering.

I've gone:

131,127,131 real club 123

120,128,122 real club 124

126,127,128 real club 126

I played Monday and didn't really notice any gains. For reference, with my SSR, I've always been about 110-114 when hitting a ball. On Flightscope, I'm more like 105 with real ball speeds in the 154-156 range. I feel like flightscope tracks ball speeds better than club speeds, so that's what I'm really after. I hope that after 7-8 weeks of this, I'll see ball speeds in the mid 160's, but I'm not optimistic.

OTOH, my lefty swing has gotten much faster.

Anybody have any advice on how to generate more speed?

Tuff too tell too be honest? I have been doing the system 3x a week since mid January. I started out with a 104 ss and now I am at 106. I have been swinging as hard as possible and not sure this is correct? Now I try too swing as fast as possible. I went to Palm Desert last month and was clocked on a simulator at 114 come too find out it was juiced 8mph an hour. I honestly have to say I am discouraged but still sticking with it for the time being.

I'm three sessions in and I only track the last three swings at the end. I also give one full out rip with a normal gamer driver.

In three sessions, I hit my fastest numbers with the stick in the first session. I've picked up a slight amount with the driver, but nothing earth shattering.

I've gone:

I played Monday and didn't really notice any gains. For reference, with my SSR, I've always been about 110-114 when hitting a ball. On Flightscope, I'm more like 105 with real ball speeds in the 154-156 range. I feel like flightscope tracks ball speeds better than club speeds, so that's what I'm really after. I hope that after 7-8 weeks of this, I'll see ball speeds in the mid 160's, but I'm not optimistic.

Are those last swings with the lightest club? If so, that's wild that you swing the driver as fast there as the green club which is 20% lighter.

I wouldn't get discouraged after 3 workouts....
    edited April 2017

I've picked up a slight amount with the driver, but nothing earth shattering.

I've gone:

I'm confused. By your own account you've gone from "110-114" on the SSR with your real club up to 123, 124 and 126 (increasing each session) and you are disappointed? After only three sessions? I'm not sure what you expected. According to the manufacturers you can expect a 3-8% increase, which you're already seeing. The entire point of the program is to make the immediate fast twitch post session improvements (your jump from 114 to 124) permanent. From their site: "A 3% – 8% increase is common after just the first use. Our studies find that performing 3 workouts per week over a 6-week period will make this increase permanent. Speeds then continue to increase working through progression of the protocol levels."

It takes time to set in. I was wondering if I blew $200 a couple of weeks in too. I made huge jumps in weeks 5-7. Stick with it.
  • timmy8151timmy8151 Advanced Members Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    UPS just dropped off my Superspeed set and SSR and I intend to start working on the Training Protocol tomorrow.
    Taylormade 2016 M2 Driver 10.5*
    Srixon F45 15*
    Cobra F7 5W-6W 19.5*
    Titleist 816H1 22*
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 5-PW
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged GW
    Cobra King Pur Wedge 54*
    Callaway PM Grind Wedge 58*
    Directed Force Reno 2.0
  • contedconted Advanced Members Posts: 456 ✭✭

blazman11 wrote:

Thanks again

Sorry. I think that was my fault since I said you were "mostly right." I obviously didn't read it too closely.

It's Option A. 39 swings total. If I had tried Option B, my arms would probably have fallen off. image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' />

The way I read it, it is only the 39 swings. I had to re-read it a few times just to confirm and even watched and re-watched their youtube video to confirm --> https://youtu.be/I0C...VFY0XeZg-Bx8guq
    Srixon z765 9.5 w/ Hzrdus Yellow
    Srixon f65 3w w/ Hzrdus Black
    Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ S300
    Srixon z745 4i-Pw w/ Nippon Modus 125
    Cleveland RTX 4.0 wedges w/ TI S400
    Putter (annual winter off-season testing)
    conted wrote:

blazman11 wrote:

Thanks again

The way I read it, it is only the 39 swings. I had to re-read it a few times just to confirm and even watched and re-watched their youtube video to confirm --> [url="

I'm all set now and agree that 39 is the way to go. I did my routine today and it's so much more manageable than 111 swings. It's the pamphlet you referenced though that threw me for a loop. I interpreted it as 3 sets of 6 swings per color, 54 swings normal stance and 54 more stepping. Which made sense at the time when they show the last step as one set.

I would have preferred they say, "one set Red, one set Blue, etc". Moot point now I suppose but it would have eliminated any confusion for me. I guess I could have also asked you guys before I started but what fun is that?
  • WardonationWardonation Advanced Members Posts: 1,355 ✭✭

I've gone:

I'm confused. By your own account you've gone from "110-114" on the SSR with your real club up to 123, 124 and 126 (increasing each session) and you are disappointed? After only three sessions? I'm not sure what you expected. According to the manufacturers you can expect a 3-8% increase, which you're already seeing. The entire point of the program is to make the immediate fast twitch post session improvements (your jump from 114 to 124) permanent. From their site: "A 3% – 8% increase is common after just the first use. Our studies find that performing 3 workouts per week over a 6-week period will make this increase permanent. Speeds then continue to increase working through progression of the protocol levels."

It takes time to set in. I was wondering if I blew $200 a couple of weeks in too. I made huge jumps in weeks 5-7. Stick with it.
    Help me please as I started the program on Jan 12th and have done it by the book 3 days a week. I have seen 3% still. Any thoughts or help would be grateful?
    Ward,

Not sure what to tell you. You're a +2.8, so I doubt it's a mechanical issue. I just try to use ground forces and swing the sticks as "fast" as possible, not as hard as possible. Get the club loaded on the backswing and squat and turn as hard and fast as possible in transition. Then the arms and club just sort of whip through.

I think just swinging these every other day has improved my mechanics, since I'm striking the ball better overall. So I'd guess the mechanical improvements are important in feeding my speed increases.

I also do compound lifts three days a week at the gym, but I was doing that for years before starting the speed training. I'm 38, only 5'7", 160 lbs, but I always had decent fast twitch athleticism (played point guard in high school, center field, etc.). I'm sure that plays some part.

The only other thing I mentioned in one of my previous posts was that around 4-5 weeks in I was feeling rundown and took a full six days of rest. Up to that point I had seen some gains, but they were marginal (maybe 5-7 yards of carry). I was losing my enthusiasm for the program by that point. Took those six days away then came back well rested and my speed just took off. Maybe it would be worthwhile for you to step away and give yourself a little extra rest. It helps to remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Ward,

Not sure what to tell you. You're a +2.8, so I doubt it's a mechanical issue. I just try to use ground forces and swing the sticks as "fast" as possible, not as hard as possible. Get the club loaded on the backswing and squat and turn as hard and fast as possible in transition. Then the arms and club just sort of whip through.

I think just swinging these every other day has improved my mechanics, since I'm striking the ball better overall. So I'd guess the mechanical improvements are important in feeding my speed increases.

I also do compound lifts three days a week at the gym, but I was doing that for years before starting the speed training. I'm 38, only 5'7", 160 lbs, but I always had decent fast twitch athleticism (played point guard in high school, center field, etc.). I'm sure that plays some part.

The only other thing I mentioned in one of my previous posts was that around 4-5 weeks in I was feeling rundown and took a full six days of rest. Up to that point I had seen some gains, but they were marginal (maybe 5-7 yards of carry). I was losing my enthusiasm for the program by that point. Took those six days away then came back well rested and my speed just took off. Maybe it would be worthwhile for you to step away and give yourself a little extra rest. It helps to remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint.
    I really appreciate your help. I think I am going to take 1 week off and then get back at it? I have felt a touch burnt out on it for sure. I have noticed 1/2 increase in irons and iron game in general feels great. I find my ND side swings are much more upright than dom side? Strange but true, thank you again. In closing, the weather is finally getting good around how do handle the system when playing? I tried too play after a big workout and ss training in the AM it was a train wreck ( no feel).. Thanks again greatly appreciated..
    Ward,

I would never do a workout (weight or swing speed training) before a round. I save those for later in the day or non-playing days. I'll do the super speed stuff after a round of golf or range session and I try to stagger it with my regular weight training routine. For instance, yesterday I did range work at lunch and then stopped after work to get the super speed training in. Tonight I hit the gym and did squats, incline bench press, dead lifts and some isolated triceps work. Tomorrow I'll do short game and super speed at lunch and cardio in the evening. I listen to my body and when it tells me to slow down, I take a day or two off.

As for the ND swings, I don't worry much about form. I golf right handed, but I was a switch hitter in my hardball days, which means most of my plate appearances were from the left side. So I don't even think about them as golf swings. I just think about trying to hit a knee high fastball over the right center field wall.

I've gone:

The 110-114 was real club with a real ball hitting a real shot last summer.

The 120's are real club, no ball no tee, swinging in the driveway. I'd never swing that reckless on the course and I'm not even sure I'd actually make contact.

It's not an apples to apples.

The slight disappointment doesn't really come from not seeing any gains on the course (it was one round and too early for that), but rather that I hit 131 with the light club in my first session and have gotten slower since then.

I was hoping to hear what your last sentence said: gains sometimes aren't gradual.

I've gone:

Are those last swings with the lightest club? If so, that's wild that you swing the driver as fast there as the green club which is 20% lighter.

I wouldn't get discouraged after 3 workouts....

Pretty much, yep, but I'm not sure I'd be generating that speed when I'm actually trying to hit a ball.
    Ok, big updated here.

Had a lesson on the trackman this morning.

Before Driver Speed: 104-106 - ball speed up 160

Now Driver Speed: 108-110 - ball speed up to 165

Takeaways:

SSR: I brought the SSR along - it was always 10 MPH faster than the trackman. So while its faster, its also consistent. Good to know.

Gains: I've gained almost 4%, which is ~4 MPH. That isn't nothing and is in line with what superspeed advertises. Whether its fair or not, I was hoping I'd be in the 115 area as I've gained over 20% on each of the superspeed clubs. So I'm not Rory all of a sudden. However, I think I'll get there - there's some things I'm doing with the driver swing that aren't super efficient.
  • GMRGMR Advanced Members Posts: 1,051
    Thank you all for a very helpful and informative thread. I've decided to give the SS system a go, and have ordered the set (with radar). One question I have though, for those of you with experience: I play jumbo grips (CP2 Pros) on all of my clubs--would you recommend reshafting the SS "clubs" with the same grips, or just using them as is? Thanks, and really looking forward to getting started!
    I play the same CP2 Pro grips in midsize with 1 wrap. I didn't bother to regrip the super speed clubs and I haven't noticed any issues.
  • 300_Straight300_Straight Advanced Members Posts: 929
    Wow, great gains being made here!! I'm glad everyone is finding that this works. I've never used it, but sounds awesome! May consider making my own set.

I agree that the SSR (I have the Blue one) is not incredibly accurate, but it is pretty consistent. I use it during every range session just to get an idea and am almost ALWAYS faster on the course. I use it sparingly on the course and only with Driver, but I'm always faster on the course.

Onto another topic here, but anyone looking for a little more distance, just widen your stance and tilt your upper body slightly away from the ball. In other words, dip your rear shoulder slightly....it helps increase your AoA.
    King LTD Pro 7.5 F / Kuro Kage DC 70TX - 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    '94 Callaway Big Bertha 3 - 9 irons
    46* SM7 / 50* (TBD) / 54* Top Flite / 58* (TBD)
    Old Odyssey Mallet
  • dam276dam276 I shoulda yelled two Advanced Members Posts: 578 ✭✭
    Wow, great gains being made here!! I'm glad everyone is finding that this works. I've never used it, but sounds awesome! May consider making my own set.

I agree that the SSR (I have the Blue one) is not incredibly accurate, but it is pretty consistent. I use it during every range session just to get an idea and am almost ALWAYS faster on the course. I use it sparingly on the course and only with Driver, but I'm always faster on the course.

Onto another topic here, but anyone looking for a little more distance, just widen your stance and tilt your upper body slightly away from the ball. In other words, dip your rear shoulder slightly....it helps increase your AoA.

^^^This

My AOA was always +1-2 so I never worried about tilt. Found that having a comfortable level of tilt has gotten me up from my plateau recently. I've now gone from 113/110/95 as my peak dominant side when I started to 119/115/110 today (7 weeks later).

While a 5% gain might not seem like much I'm hitting it as long as I have in 15 years and with not much effort. Admittedly I haven't followed the program to the letter, but it's worked for me. Will be starting protocol 2 this weekend finally..trying to break 120mph!
    Callaway Epic 9* (Accra FX260 M4)
    Callaway Epic SZ 3W (D+ 70X)
    Callaway Epic 5W (Kai'li 70X)
    TaylorMade Rescue 11 4H (NV 85X)
    Srixon Z785 4-PW (PX 6.0)
    Titleist SM7 50* F (PX 5.5)
    Titleist SM7 54* F (PX 5.5)
    Titleist SM7 60* L (KBS Hi-Rev 2.0)
    Lajosi XP3
  • ppjn348ppjn348 Advanced Members Posts: 490
    How often should I be training per week? 2 days? 3 days?
  • EntourageLifeEntourageLife EntourageLife Advanced Members Posts: 1,016
    ppjn348 wrote:
    How often should I be training per week? 2 days? 3 days?

2-3 days a week for 6 months
    edited April 2017
    Wow --- I had previously completed a few random sessions with my superspeed sticks. On Friday, I got started with what I hope begins a 3x a week pattern. I just completed my second session (Sunday) and man do I feel it in the forearms. Anyone else?

Friday wasn't the first time I completed it but it was the first time after a bucket at the range and the evening before a round. Played Sat and didn't get any range time prior to tee'ing off.

Man was my driver/wood/hybrid swing big time off. One good drive on #16. Other than that, top them all will max elevation about 10 ft (or less) off the ground. This also transitioned into my hybrids. Very very bad and frustrating round (96) especially given it was my first time out with the Epic. Man, were my so called buddies giving me the business regarding the driver.

We then decided to play an extra 9. Wow, everything started to come together and I hit some bombs (for me) especially given how bad the first 18 holes were. Honestly, not sure I hit it any farther than I would on a good day but ---- given how poorly I started off, the first time on course with a new driver and it's on,y April. I believe happy days are coming.

One thing I did notice was I gained almost 10 yards with my Cleveland RTX 54* sand wedge. I'm not sure if this will be consistent thru the bag but I know I did hit at least one PW farther than expected.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    PING G25 5-U
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
  • xmanhockey7xmanhockey7 Advanced Members Posts: 296
    Cwing wrote:

Wow --- I had previously completed a few random sessions with my superspeed sticks. On Friday, I got started with what I hope begins a 3x a week pattern. I just completed my second session (Sunday) and man do I feel it in the firearms. Anyone else?

Friday wasn't the first time I completed it but it was the first time after a bucket at the range and the evening before a round. Played Sat and didn't get any range time prior to tee'ing off.

Man was my driver/wood/hybrid swing big time off. One good drive on #16. Other than that, top them all will max elevation about 10 ft (or less) off the ground. This also transitioned into my hybrids. Very very bad and frustrating round (96) especially given it was my first time out with the Epic. Man, were my so called buddies giving me the business regarding the driver.

We then decided to play an extra 9. Wow, everything started to come together and I hit some bombs (for me) especially given how bad the first 18 holes were. Honestly, not sure I hit it any farther than I would on a good day but ---- given how poorly I started off, the first time on course with a new driver and it's on,y April. I believe happy days are coming.

One thing I did notice was I gained almost 10 yards with my Cleveland RTX 54* sand wedge. I'm not sure if this will be consistent thru the bag but I know I did hit at least one PW farther than expected.

All my firearms are fine since started superspeed training. I did start out playing like **** the other day and like you I don't have many sessions in. Still, I see the potential for more speed. If it's just sore muscles from working out it will likely go away before too long.
    edited April 2017
    Agreed that the sore forearms (firearms with spell checker on) will go away. They are only sore when doing the drills.

So, what is everyone doing to regain their tempo prior to playing?????
    PING G25 5-U
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
    Cwing wrote:

So, what is everyone doing to regain their tempo prior to playing?????

I'm really not trying to be "wise" or "smart" here, is losing tempo a real concern or byproduct of SuperSpeed? I'm only two sessions in of the Into protocol, but is swinging faster playing a factor with tempo? I would expect tempo to not change, as pre-shot routine should control tempo, while in-shot swing speed provides distance and (or fights) control.

Please, I expect and willing-filly accept all criticism to this comment.

Thanks and Happy Patriots' Day.
    Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ S300
    Foe me, I believe so. See post #381 above. Also check out the overspeed thread as the same issue is noted there by another. Doing it Friday and playing with no range time on Sat was a bad combo for me. Playing an extra 9 on Sat finally sorted it out.

I did SS again today and I'm playing again tomorrow so I'm hoping I don't have a repeat of Saturday's round. I should have some range time prior to teeing off so I shall see.
    PING G25 5-U
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
    edited April 2017
    Haven't had a problem with tempo since starting the super speed training. If anything, I think it's slowed my tempo down a touch, as I like to feel a smooth loading of the club before unleashing the speed during training. No issue with the forearms until I added in the kneeling swings. Those really tax your arm and back muscles compared to standing swings. Yowza.

One issue that's creeping up is that I'm starting to hit my irons like ****. I think the speed training may be encouraging me to swing flatter and increasing early extension. I played on Saturday and continued to absolutely slaughter the driver. Big, high, long (290+, long for me anyway) draws that split the fairway hole after hole. But couldn't take advantage at all since I could not find the face with my irons. It was horrible. Got to where I didn't even want to pull them after awhile. Shot 79 and was 6 over on the par 3s...lol. Played a 3 par after my morning round and still couldn't find it. Finally gave up and just took two extra clubs and took easy half swings to try and find the face again. Shot +2 but that's only because I got up and down a ton, chipped one in and drained two 40 footers.

I had been so optimistic about my game with the added distance and now a new problem pops up. Just keep plugging the leaks I guess.
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Advanced Members Posts: 1,706 ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I'm two weeks in and had a bit of a eureka moment yesterday. If you are a caster (like I have been as played for years with bad hips prior to surgery so got into only using upper body strength) then you are likely get to a point that you have tempo issues. What the process does do is encourage you to release the club correctly. If you focus on feeling like you are squatting down to initiate the down-swing and then maintain your spine angle and build wrist hinge, you can hear the club-head speed build whilst maintaining correct tempo and balance.

Maybe it is because the super-speed sticks are perfectly balanced, but I've found it easier to work on sequencing with them than with a driver. I also try to swing about two inches off the ground to emulate using a driver. I'm guessing super-speed suggest swinging a little higher in case you are working on a hard surface but I do the routine on my lawn as again I think swinging flatter will encourage a casting swing and I can easily see how it would lead to topped shots.

I'm not measuring my training sessions as I want to give it a while and then check progress with a driver. I have played a couple of rounds and can tell the process is promising.

I'm not measuring my training sessions as I want to give it a while and then check progress with a driver. I have played a couple of rounds and can tell the process is promising.

Good to hear and keep us updated. I just had my third session / first week today. I am messing max speed with each side (dominant and non-dominant) of each set and plan to bring the SSR to the range, to log driver speed.

Good luck!
    Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ S300
    It sounds like a bunch of us have had some ball striking issues. My guess is these issues are due to it being early in the season, rather than a byproduct of the speed training (at least for us in the north). It's not unusual for me to have no clue where the golf ball is going my first few times out.

To that end, my swing is now more grooved, and I definitely saw the results of the training on the course this weekend. Played in a Ryder Cup event, and one guy who's a big hitter said out of the blue that I seemed 20 yards longer this year. So that's anecdotal, but great.
  • DLiverDLiver Advanced Members Posts: 2,578 ✭✭

It sounds like a bunch of us have had some ball striking issues. My guess is these issues are due to it being early in the season, rather than a byproduct of the speed training (at least for us in the north). It's not unusual for me to have no clue where the golf ball is going my first few times out.

I would say that is probably what the problem is. I play year round where I live, and I am having no trouble with ball striking. In fact, I haven't hit it this good in years -- however I am taking lessons and working on my swing a lot, so it is hard to know what is the cause of the good ball striking.
    DLiver wrote:

I play year round where I live.

I am very jealous.
    Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ S300
    conted wrote:

DLiver wrote:

I play year round where I live.

I am very jealous.

I am a VERY lucky guy
  • par_machine2par_machine2 Members Posts: 2
    Hi.

First off, thanks to all of you sharing your experiences with this training system, and also for all the DIY ideas.

I have decided to make this golf season the year of the driver. It has always been one of the worst part of my golf and now it is time to change that.

I have owned a blue SSR for a couple of years now, and have mainly used it during practice for regular status checks.

My usual SSR speed with the driver when hitting balls is 103 mph. When the driver swing is good, then I'm swinging at 107-110 mph. I can get to 115 when I really go after it, but very rarely try that when playing.

My goal is to get the normal, controlled, driver speed to 110 mph during this summer.

My hope is that more distance will lead to more birdie chances which will lead to lower scores, if I can keep my bogey rate the same.

My main concern is that I will lose some control/tempo in my irons, so I will pay close attention to during this experiment.

I did my first intro level session yesterday (using 5 swings) and it was pretty good.

One thing that really surprised me was that my lefty swings where significantly faster than my righty swings (3-7 mph)!! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Has anyone had the same experience?

Max numbers:

Right: 112/100/77

Left: 115/105/90

Right step-in: 119/106/96

Left step-in: 131/110/99

Right: 121 (with light club)

(Currently using my driver, a gripped shaft with taped bolts and my 3 iron as the heavy club.)
  • Left RoughLeft Rough Advanced Members Posts: 463 ✭✭
    Left Rough wrote:

I'm about a month in and it doesn't look like I'm picking up much speed on the radar swinging right handed (I play right-handed)). My left handed swing is seeing some nice gains though! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> On the course it's really hard to say if this is translating on course to more distances or not.... I am hitting the ball further, but it may be in part due to the weather as the courses in Northern Cali are just now drying out.

I'll be moving on to Protocol 1 so hopefully will see more on the course.

Update on my progress.... I changed my graphs from Average to Max since I'm not confident the SwingSpeed Radar picks up every swing accurately. I figure this will reflect my peak potential more accurately.

I've also spaced out my training sessions from every 2 days to every 3 days and upped my swings per session from 3 per side to 5 per side (e.g. 5 RH-Light, 5 LH-Light, etc....) since I'm mixing in other workouts and don't want to be tired going into a session. I also haven't gone from the Intro Protocol to Protocol 1 since I don't have enough room outside and not enough room inside to do the kneeling swings.

That all said, it looks like I'm picking up some speed, albeit in a slower and choppier manner than others. But for instance the Heavy Standing Right is up from earlier days of 107-109 to 111-113... I'll take it! Again it's hard to say if this is translating to course driver distances given inconsistent conditions to make an apples-to-apples comparison, but I 'feel' faster and short irons I feel I've picked up around 5 yards. Still keeping after it! Progress is the positive reinforcement I need to continue!
    Callaway XR16 Pro
    Callaway X2 Hot 15 degrees
    Titleist 585h 17 deg w/ PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP-5 w/ C-Taper X
    Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60 w/ DG X100
    Odyssey ProType Black #9
    edited April 2017
    Left Rough, Good to see you're making progress. I think it's just one of those things that you just have to put in the time, be patient, and wait for it to pay off in the long run. Also, we are human beings and our performance will vary day-to-day based on our amount of rest, energy level, what we eat, etc.. I've had days since starting the program where I seem to have taken a step back and I'm hitting the ball a tad shorter, but on the whole, I seem to be making great progress.

Played on Sunday and hit a 331 yard drive on a shortish par 5 (fairways were hard). Guy I was paired with said he'd played the course for 20 years and had only seen one other person hit it to that spot. Hit the green with a nice smooth 7 iron and converted a routine 2 putt birdie. Told the group of strangers I was paired with about the Super Speed sticks and they all wanted to buy them off me...lol.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    I am back to 2x a week after taking 1.5 weeks off. Speed has never been better but my iron game is as pure as it has ever been. I started in January and went from 103 to 108 so I will take it and it seems permanant...
  • xmanhockey7xmanhockey7 Advanced Members Posts: 296
    I've been keeping up on my SuperSpeed training. 3 times a week with 1-3 days in between training. I seem to have regressed a hair. Ball speeds have gone down a bit despite hitting some solid shots. I ended up busting out my tour tempo app and that seemed to help a bit. I think I was a bit out of sequence. No topped shots though which is really good. I'll keep doing it though. I think overall, especially in the long run, my ceiling speed will keep rising. Will keep posting updates here. I do need to invest in a radar just for using the SuperSpeed sticks.

I've been keeping up on my SuperSpeed training. 3 times a week with 1-3 days in between training. I seem to have regressed a hair. Ball speeds have gone down a bit despite hitting some solid shots. I ended up busting out my tour tempo app and that seemed to help a bit. I think I was a bit out of sequence. No topped shots though which is really good. I'll keep doing it though. I think overall, especially in the long run, my ceiling speed will keep rising. Will keep posting updates here. I do need to invest in a radar just for using the SuperSpeed sticks.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I feel like 3x/week of protocol 1 without a longer break in there is too much for me. I feel like I get progressively slower with each session if I don't take the occasional 4 day break. I think 3x one week and 2x the next works better for me.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I feel like 3x/week of protocol 1 without a longer break in there is too much for me. I feel like I get progressively slower with each session if I don't take the occasional 4 day break. I think 3x one week and 2x the next works better for me.

I agree with you 100%.
  • fawleyfawley Advanced Members Posts: 351
    edited May 2017
    I'm now 11 sessions into the introductory protocol.

I've been tracking the progress of my sessions by recording the max speed on each exercise from each side with each club. For the introductory protocol, that's 13 data points for each session.

Likely due to a number of factors (what time of day I went through the protocol, whether I had already worked out, if I had a few drinks the night before, possibly the accuracy of the SSR, etc) that my max readings on different clubs / exercises jumped around a little, which I don't think was necessarily indicative of my progress. While a statistician would likely poke all sorts of holes in how I'm monitoring my progress, I decided to take an average of my max swing speeds from all of the exercises, and then take a three session rolling average of those average speeds. I feel as though this takes enough of the session to session variability and potential radar errors out to give a good indication of overall progress, as well as validating that I'm improving overall rather than just, for example, on my dominant side, or just with the light club, etc.

The three session averages have so far played out as follows (using just single and two session numbers for the first two sessions)

1 - 108.1 mph

2 - 108.0

3 - 108.7

4 - 108.9

5 - 111.7

6 - 111.9

7 - 113.8

8 - 112.9

9 - 114.2

10 - 113.9

11 - 114.4

A few interesting (to me) things to note.

1. I've followed the program to the letter, doing 3 sessions per week. Usually Mon / Wed / Fri each week. I went on a ski trip over Easter and skipped 3 full days, and did my session when I got home. My average speed in that session (session 5) was 6mph faster than any of my previous sessions.

2. My fastest swing with the lightest club (I bought mine from Superspeed) hasn't really changed much from the first session. My fists session had my fastest swing speed with that club at 127mph, and I've settled in between 128mph and 130mph for most sessions (although I did have one swing at 135mph during session 7).

3. My most dramatic improvements have been with the heavy club, and with all clubs from the non-dominant side (heavy club is up around 7mph on average from my early sessions, non-dominant side swings are up around 13mph on average since my first session).

4. I'm seeing a little change so far on the course / range, but nothing dramatic at this stage. My driver ball speed is usually in the 143mph to 150mph range depending on the swing. I had a fitting on Saturday, and although I saw a couple of miles an hour increase at the top end, what was more noticeable was that I had fewer swings at the bottom end of that range. I worked to make some changes to my swing over the winter and early spring, and that is likely playing a part also, but my ball striking (both with driver and irons) has been very good during the early part of this season. I think at least some of the credit for how well I'm hitting the ball goes to the Superspeed training.

TL, DR - I haven't seen any significant increase in on course swing and ball speeds at this point, but I'm making fewer poor swings with the resultant lower ball speeds. I'm hopeful that as I progress through the protocols, I'll start to see some improvements to my swing speed on good swings and start to see some improved distance.
  • DoppelgangerDoppelganger Advanced Members Posts: 834
    Anyone tired of this and want to trade their radar for my orange whip? image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />