SuperSpeed Golf training system

1868788899092»

Comments

• clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Members Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dhc1 said:
    Has anyone done this with a training aid to prevent swing faults? I was thinking about someone using the right arm trainer or the gravity fit to avoid over-swinging and to ensure a core driven release.

I haven't. Problem I find is that there are many correct ways to swing a golf club. Over swinging isn't necessarily a swing fault, and an arm driven release isn't necessarily wrong vs a core driven release. If you hit the ball well and are consistent, even with some supposed swing flaws, it is a good swing.

• dhc1dhc1 NYCMembers Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clevited said:

@dhc1 said:
    Has anyone done this with a training aid to prevent swing faults? I was thinking about someone using the right arm trainer or the gravity fit to avoid over-swinging and to ensure a core driven release.

I haven't. Problem I find is that there are many correct ways to swing a golf club. Over swinging isn't necessarily a swing fault, and an arm driven release isn't necessarily wrong vs a core driven release. If you hit the ball well and are consistent, even with some supposed swing flaws, it is a good swing.

Fair enough on arm vs core swing but I can’t see how overswinging is anything but a swing fault (and one that I fight).

• clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Members Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dhc1 said:

@clevited said:

@dhc1 said:

Fair enough on arm vs core swing but I can’t see how overswinging is anything but a swing fault (and one that I fight).

Depends on if you can get back to the ball consistently from there. Timing and what not. Think John Daly. Its not easy, but it isn't necessarily a flaw if you hit the ball well. There are different types of over swings too, the ones that cause you to lean towards target are not ideal just because I think it makes you out of balance which makes the downswing tougher, but for others, they can keep balance, make a huge turn, go well past parallel and when they see the club head in their peripheral vision, its time to start the downswing. What I think is important is that you swing in a way that works for you, and unless it is causing you major consistency issues, don't get rid of it. If it is the cause of your issues, then look into changing it.

• SirFuegoSirFuego Members Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 7:17pm #2735

@dhc1 said:

I have tempo issues, so I will "warm up" with the SKLZ Gold Flex prior to doing SuperSpeed. But I won't touch that aid again until well after the SS protocols are done. That helps me to groove my tempo a bit before swinging all out.

I would suspect that training aid would limit your speed (thus losing the benefits of SS training), but it might be worthwhile to perhaps warm up with that training aid, put it away, and trying to maintain that feel during your protocols.

That said, one thing I've noticed with SuperSpeed is that my concepts of "over-swinging" and "going hard at it" were actually producing less clubhead speed than a swing focused more on tempo. When I overswing, I tend to come out of my posture which kills my overall speed despite my swing being longer. When I "swing hard", I generate too much tension which kills speed. In essence, SuperSpeed has stopped me from "overswinging" or "going hard at it". My concept of generating speed is completely different and a lot more efficient than when I started.

I think that this is one of the reasons why using a reliable way to measure swing speed is critical for SuperSpeed. It's too easy to confuse "effort" for "speed" if you aren't actually able to measure how fast you are swinging.

Post edited by SirFuego on
  • 300_Straight300_Straight Members Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ This. You can also get a sense of which swings are faster than others based on repetition with the SSR. However, there are always swings you KNOW were faster than the previous one, only to find out it's 5mph slower.

Timing is huge for speed. I find that if I don't rear back and go for it, my whole swing suffers. I'm so used to doing an "extra full" turn, that it's become ingrained in my swing.

King LTD Pro 7* / Pro Orange 70TX Tipped 3/4" -- 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    Srixon z745 3-PW -- Modus 130x
    50/8f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

Old Odyssey Mallet
  • KevCannonKevCannon ClubWRX Posts: 266 ClubWRX

I have been doing superspeed training for 3-4 months and have had good success with it. What last few posts said about “going hard at it” and finding out it was same speed or slower is 100% spot on. Doing this training without a device to measure swing speed is pointless, unless using it solely for a workout. I messed around with different feels and moves to see what generated more speed, and the more effort applied the slower the swing. Feeling fast is different than being fast is certainly my takeaway. Club head speed is generated by proper technique and sequencing. Some people figure it out right away naturally and others take time to get their sequencing correct. There are for sure different ways to get there, but only a few really. I also want to stress the importance of recovery time after a session, there is a reason they say wait a day or 2 in between. If you truly are doing a very high intensity workout, your body and central nervous system need to recover before attempting another workout or you are doing more harm than good. I was a personal trainer and competitive bodybuilder 10 or so years ago and the same principles applied. Sure the workout was very important, but the recovery process was equally sometimes more important. That includes time off, proper sleep and nutrition. Now this isn’t bodybuilding obviously, but it is still a high intensity workout. So don’t look at it like “must do 3 workouts a week”, but listen to your body. Some people need a day to recover others may need 2 or 3 depending on schedule. Or you may need 1 day after first workout, but then 2 or 3 days rest after second workout.

Callaway Rogue sub zero 9 degree w/ GD tour AD TP 7x 
    Callaway Epic flash sub zero 15 degree w/ GD tour AD TP 7x 
    Titleist 818 H2 19 degree w/ GD tour AD IZ hybrid 95x
    Callaway X Forged 4-9, Apex MB pitching wedge w/ Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50-F, Callaway MD4 54-S, 58-X w/ Project X 6.0
    Toulon San Diego putter
    Srixon Z Star XV ball
  • xreyukxreyuk United KingdomMembers Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting these, can't really see from all the posts but do they work?

Are people seeing good increase in swing speed from them?

• SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX Posts: 1,004 ClubWRX

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but have you really read any of the post on the previous 91 pages?

Taylor Made M6 10.5 * | Ventus 6s
    Taylor Made M4 | Graphite Design IZ-7s
    Adams Pro A12 -  2 / 3 / 4 Hybrids | UST Mamiya Silver
    PXG Gen 2 0311P 5 - GW | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
    Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    JumboMax Medium grips on ALL - Dechambeau-ing it baby!!!!!
    PXG Gunboat H Putter
    PXG Staff Bag
    Snell MTB Black

@xreyuk said:
    I'm looking at getting these, can't really see from all the posts but do they work?

Lol. I'll save you the time. Yes, they really do work if you are consistent and follow the protocol. Like, they really work....

Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    50/8f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

Old Odyssey Mallet
  • airjammerairjammer Members Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@300_Straight said:

@xreyuk said:

Lol. I'll save you the time. Yes, they really do work if you are consistent and follow the protocol. Like, they really work....

Like 300 said they really do work with 1 big BUT you may create swing flaws trying to swing as fast as possible. The people that have seemed to have the most success are the ones that don’t sacrifice form for speed. They haven’t seen as big increases as the “speed at all cost” group but they have retained all or most of their ball striking.

A few years ago I had a lesson with an indoor Trackman. I swung a PW and 7i most of the time on the monitor. At that time, my swing speed with the 7i was 93-94 MPH. Fast forward to this past weekend, add in SSG, a new set of irons (with heavier shafts) and a different Trackman = 99.5mph. Are all those gains attributed to SSG? Probably not, especially considering other variables were at play as well. But SSG is at least good for 3-5mph gains for most people, more for some others who remain consistent over the long term. 10-15 yards of carry with the Driver is totally feasible from ~6 months of SSG.

Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    50/8f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

Old Odyssey Mallet
  • Bluefan75Bluefan75 Members Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So if you haven't been able to do 3 workouts a week consistently, at what point do you shift from the first protocol? I've been pretty good at 2/week, but not 3. Wondering when I could move to the next.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file