2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Trying Out New MG Senior Golf Ball

miker1951

I am a 65 yr old 9 handicap from typical golf course yardage or 6,000 to 6,200 yards. I usually play the MG Tour, ProV1 or Callaway golf balls. I don't play in much sanctioned golf tournaments anymore just social golf for fun with my wife here in Florida. I typically hit the ball off the tee 220-230 yards. I came across this new MG Senior ball and it stands up to its advertised longer distance. I have played about 3 rounds in various wind conditions and was amazed that I get maybe 15-30 yards off the tee on my sweet hits, and 5-15 yards more with off center hits. My irons are more reliable with about 5-10 yards extra distance with accuracy.

A great addition to the social golfer not playing in tournaments.

With that being said I just read that these balls non-conform because of ball velocity exceeds the "USGA" LIMITS..

Since I am a social golfer that plays the game for my own personal enjoyment, equipment issues do not mean much at my age, as I am loosing flexibility etc etc. The USGA rules are so convoluted and complex and enforced over the last few years in the PRO ranks ridiculously that I ignore these rules around equipment. If there is Equipment out there that gives me additional distance off the tee I can continue to play the courses at a 6,000 yard range for a longer time, then I will use these for personal enjoyment. Again, if I was to play in tournaments or competitive events I would not use them.

Golf in my final years is going to be played for my enjoyment not considering stupid VELOCITY rule for this ball, during social play.

I say go for this GREAT MG SENIOR ball for you own enjoyment. You will gain yardage off the tee and enjoy the round at a great prices of $19.99 a dozen. Doesn't get much better than that.

If you consistently drive the ball 220-230 yards you outdrive the 65-and-up golfers normally play with and you outdrive most of them by 20 yards.

Nobody minds if you want to play a non-conforming ball for whatever reason but really, you are not remotely distance challenged for your age and handicap range. So no need to use that as an excuse.

I play occasionally with a 75-year-old who is very competitive in senior (scratch) state and regional tournaments. He hits a ProV1 and his very best drive in a typical round is maybe 230 yards, at most. Doesn't keep him from playing the 6,400 yard tees and shooting around par.

Understand your viewpoint, however I only play for fun, conformity in my opinion is for those who compete and have the need to go by rules. As I stated I play with conformity if and when I compete. I'll enjoy the game based on my own rules and there are no rules outside of what we establish at the start of a round. Rules are great for competitions and I will be right there following them. Hope this clears my position. My health may only slllw me s few more years of golf. I want to enjoy it.

Sorry, might be off topic, but can you compare the MG tour vs ProV vs Callaway balls you have used?

The MG Tour Ball is as equal to a PROV1 as I can say. Better than Callaway but I don't use the Callaway much anymore. I would prefer the MG Tour ball over the ProV1 as the are about the same and the cost is far superior. No brainer to go with the MG over ProV1 unless cost doesn't matter.

Sorry, might be off topic, but can you compare the MG tour vs ProV vs Callaway balls you have used?

The MG Tour Ball is as equal to a PROV1 as I can say. Better than Callaway but I don't use the Callaway much anymore. I would prefer the MG Tour ball over the ProV1 as the are about the same and the cost is far superior. No brainer to go with the MG over ProV1 unless cost doesn't matter.

Great! Thank you very much for your input!

I hit the ball the same as you. May try these out. As for the science What makes them go farther ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I am a 65 yr old 9 handicap from typical golf course yardage or 6,000 to 6,200 yards. I usually play the MG Tour, ProV1 or Callaway golf balls. I don't play in much sanctioned golf tournaments anymore just social golf for fun with my wife here in Florida. I typically hit the ball off the tee 220-230 yards. I came across this new MG Senior ball and it stands up to its advertised longer distance. I have played about 3 rounds in various wind conditions and was amazed that I get maybe 15-30 yards off the tee on my sweet hits, and 5-15 yards more with off center hits. My irons are more reliable with about 5-10 yards extra distance with accuracy.

With that being said I just read that these balls non-conform because of ball velocity exceeds the "USGA" LIMITS..

Since I am a social golfer that plays the game for my own personal enjoyment, equipment issues do not mean much at my age, as I am loosing flexibility etc etc. The USGA rules are so convoluted and complex and enforced over the last few years in the PRO ranks ridiculously that I ignore these rules around equipment. If there is Equipment out there that gives me additional distance off the tee I can continue to play the courses at a 6,000 yard range for a longer time, then I will use these for personal enjoyment. Again, if I was to play in tournaments or competitive events I would not use them.

Golf in my final years is going to be played for my enjoyment not considering stupid VELOCITY rule for this ball, during social play.

I say go for this GREAT MG SENIOR ball for you own enjoyment. You will gain yardage off the tee and enjoy the round at a great prices of $19.99 a dozen. Doesn't get much better than that.

Good for you Miker1951. Don't let these fools bother you. No need to defend your point and interest to enjoy the game.

Is it a straight ball or does it go further into the woods? One other question. Does it feel firm, mid compression or soft?

The MG Senior ball does come out in yellow. Per their customer service person, it will be re-stocked by the end of Feb. I was thinking, if they are catering to the senior market, they might as well go all of the way and put a yellow ball in the line up.

Anyone know the compression ? Are they hard or Soft feeling ?

Ping 2023 Anser D

miker1951, Would you say these balls feel like a softfli (soft) or harder like a Pro V or somewhere inbetween? Thanks, Tanner

edit: Per my call today with MG customer service, the MG Senior Ball is an 80 compression ball and it is considered a soft ball.

Dean Snell explained it is complicated with urethane covers to do in a small batch, but I think for a small company it would,pay off to go all yellow. At the very least MG should poll their customers.

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

• 1 month later...

Does not matter to me if you use the ball. You don't play tournaments. As long as your buddies do not mind but that is if there are bets on the line. But I guess the rounds that you use the ball in should not be used in calculating your handicap. Given your driving distance and handicap, you do not need to use the MG ball.

Looks like a lot of golfers are trying them. Website now says out of stock. I feel another KSig monster topic coming up.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Cobra FlyZ+[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Sonartec 17* [/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Adams Idea Pro 20*/ 23* [/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Mizuno 5-PW MP-64[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Vokey Oil Can 52*-56*-60*[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Odyssey Metal X DART[/size][/font]

• 5 months later...

One of my golfing buddies was hitting the ball longer than usual and the rest of us noticed. He went on and on about the lessons he took and improved swing (looked the same to us) but it all made sense when we helped him look for his ball and asked him what brand he was playing. He at first didn't want to say, then quickly said "MG". The other guys never heard of it and started to ask him about them and he started to get defensive, when I found it, it was a Senior ball. I chose not to out him since we weren't playing for money but we discussed it in the cart and he knew he was using a non-conforming ball but wanted to added distance.

The ball is longer, he was hitting it at least 10 yards longer than usual.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

this is very tempting as i will be 72 in a month and have been losing distance like melting ice in the tropics ever since i turned 65..

in any case my best drives now carry 200yds at most and i have been experimenting with L flex shafts and women golf balls and these have helped..

i also now play only flattish courses usually from the white tees and they seldom exceed 6000 yards and this has kept the game enjoyable...

but i also play with wagers on the line most of the time and an occasional tournament and this prevents me from really seriously considering using it exclusively but will probably try it at least once just for kicks..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

this is very tempting as i will be 72 in a month and have been losing distance like melting ice in the tropics ever since i turned 65..

in any case my best drives now carry 200yds at most and i have been experimenting with L flex shafts and women golf balls and these have helped..

i also now play only flattish courses usually from the white tees and they seldom exceed 6000 yards and this has kept the game enjoyable...

but i also play with wagers on the line most of the time and an occasional tournament and this prevents me from really seriously considering using it exclusively but will probably try it at least once just for kicks..

I emailed MG and they sent me a sample ball. You might try that. Honestly, I didn't see any difference. Other than the ball is a two piece distance ball and might go a little further than some other balls. If you are currently playing a distance ball, like some of the Top Flight, Slazenger or Pinnacle balls, I doubt there's a difference. The MG Senior is a nice ball, firm if you like that with a great yellow color. But, it over rated in the distance dept. Tanner

Interesting. Conflicting reviews. Why make it non conforming if it doesn't produce better results ??

Ping 2023 Anser D

Interesting. Conflicting reviews. Why make it non conforming if it doesn't produce better results ??

i share the same thoughts on this..

the problem i see in using non-conforming stuff is it could lead to delusions of regaining your diminishing powers rather than just accepting them and moving forward...assuming they deliver as promised.

and if not....what's the point?

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

It could be a placebo effect but the guy that was using it in our group was hitting the ball 10-15 yards longer than usual. I will see if that was an aberration or he's consistently hitting it longer.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

It could be a placebo effect but the guy that was using it in our group was hitting the ball 10-15 yards longer than usual. I will see if that was an aberration or he's consistently hitting it longer.

Cool. Would be useful info. The day he was hitting it longer were conditions any different ? I just switched drivers recently and my first 2 rounds I had more drives in the 235-265 range than ever (long for me). Temps were in the high 80's. Last round temps in the 60's and back to my normal good drive of 220-240.

Ping 2023 Anser D

I usually play found balls. Longest balls for me are the Top Flites, Pinnacles, and the like.

I'm 65, usually drive around 200-220 yards, maybe longer depending on course conditions.

I extend my driver shafts 2" or so. Gives a few yards more. I've extended 3 woods to driver length with similar results. Longer shaft equals higher swing speed.

I've been playing a few holes from the ladies' tees. Sure makes golf more fun, hitting a SW to the green, instead of a 3W.

Haven't tried the MG senior, can't be much longer than the rock hard balls?

My opinion.