Sand Valley

Comments

• krtgolfingkrtgolfing Members Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone here signed up for the Summer Solstice event?

I thought about it as it is a great deal, but doubt I would be able to walk and swing for 72 holes. Dates work out perfect for me though...
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Works Red #1W S
  • PuttLeftHitRightPuttLeftHitRight Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to play the new course. I walked the Sand Valley in May and it was a unique golf experience. At one point I could see no other golfers or man made structures.
  • ode1ode1 Members Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 12, 2018 #64
    Don't know if this has been discussed, but does SV allow push carts if I decide to forgo the caddie?

Assuming answer is yes as there is talk of others using a rickshaw in this thread, but ??

Also, are there yardage books for purchase?

Nevermind on the push cart ?, called and got my answer.....still wandering re: yardage books:)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • marks21marks21 Members Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
    ode1 wrote:

Don't know if this has been discussed, but does SV allow push carts if I decide to forgo the caddie?

Assuming answer is yes as there is talk of others using a rickshaw in this thread, but ??

Nevermind on the push cart ?, called and got my answer.....still wandering re: yardage books:)

I emailed a month back and was told yardage books would be available in early May.

Cobra F7+ Driver 9* Aldila Tour Green 75 X
    Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
    Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
    Toulon Portland H3
    Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

• ode1ode1 Members Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    marks21 wrote:

ode1 wrote:

I emailed a month back and was told yardage books would be available in early May.

Thank you.
  • zer0zer0 Members Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, looks like I'm gonna make my first trip to Sand Valley in August as part of a golf trip. Going to drive up there from my place in Green Lake and spend the day. With only one day on the property, what course would you recommend playing?
  • byflow2byflow2 Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
    zer0 wrote:

Hey guys, looks like I'm gonna make my first trip to Sand Valley in August as part of a golf trip. Going to drive up there from my place in Green Lake and spend the day. With only one day on the property, what course would you recommend playing?
    heard great things about the dunes course... never have I played but every time I see someone who has they remember that course
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Fly Z 9.5 Stock Stiff Shaft[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR 15* Project X 6.0 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Utility 18* Aldia rouge 65g S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon 565 4,5 - Srixon 6-PW Dynamic Gold AMT S300[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 52* [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 56*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 60*[/font]
    Bettinardi [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Queen Bee #9[/font]
    Just called Sand Valley. They have 5 temp greens on the Sand Valley course and they hope to "only" have a couple temp greens by August. Easy pass for me, not paying those prices for temp greens, even if it's one temp green.

No big deal, there's plenty of amazing courses in Wisconsin to choose from to replace the day at SV.
  • aue21aue21 Members Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We came back over 2 weeks ago to SV and Mammouth...

The place will be great in another season to grow in and the rooms were very nice, the issue was that the temp greens were never brought up to us and nothing was done to make it right, we didn't expect free rounds etc. but the answer we got was " an email was sent". Poor customer service on there part to say the least, a lot of money and travel expense not to at least give us a heads up...
  • chrisisoutrunningchrisisoutrunning Members Posts: 49 ✭✭
    MD is the better, and more fun, of the two courses, even if SV didn't have temporary greens. SV is still a great course (ignoring the temporary greens).

If you go and they still have a couple of temporary greens, it isn't going to ruin your day, but obviously, if you have the choice, I'd wait until they get everything open on SV.
    what kind of shape is MD in? Is it worth spending the money this year or will it be a better course in a year or two of growth?

I'm in no hurry and only want to play the courses if they are in ideal shape.
    zer0 wrote:

what kind of shape is MD in? Is it worth spending the money this year or will it be a better course in a year or two of growth?

Excellent shape. I don't see a need to wait.
  • BG5BG5 Members Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a buddy who is going just after the 4th of July and he was told there will be 3 temp greens during that time. The good news if you play 36 holes then you only pay $275 (taxes included) so it does save you a fair amount of money
    Ping K15 Driver - 10.5*
    Ping K15 3 Wood 16* & 5 Wood 19*
    Ping Karsten Hybrids 19* 22* 25*
    Ping Karsten Irons 6-PW
    Ping Karsten Wedges 51* 55*
    Ping Scottsdale Greyhawk TR Putter
    WITB Link
  • WindyCitySPNWindyCitySPN Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zer0 wrote:

I played SV in April of last year and it was in great shape. After playing I was glad I didn't wait.
  • PhreddyPhreddy Members Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you wish to know a little bit more of the history and the future of Sand Valley, this article from the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel is a good read.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/gary-damato/2018/06/30/damato-how-sand-valley-golf-resort-transforming-central-wisconsin/737928002/
    If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.
  • SDLSDL Members Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭
    I played Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes in late May, and I was very glad I didn't wait a year or two to play them. IMO, SV is an excellent course and MD is a truly great course - I'm talking about an amazing world-class course. If you can play only one of the courses at the resort, then you should definitely play MD.
  • WindyCitySPNWindyCitySPN Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SDL wrote:

I played Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes in late May, and I was very glad I didn't wait a year or two to play them. IMO, SV is an excellent course and MD is a truly great course - I'm talking about an amazing world-class course. If you can play only one of the courses at the resort, then you should definitely play MD.

Would you mind elaborating on the MD over SV. I played SV last year and have been wavering on going back this year or waiting until 2019. Thanks!
    Shradersr wrote:

SDL wrote:

Would you mind elaborating on the MD over SV. I played SV last year and have been wavering on going back this year or waiting until 2019. Thanks!

The best way to put it would be that the visuals are amazing for over 2/3 of the holes, and at least that many are just downright fun/interesting/exciting to play. SV is a very good course, and has plenty of interesting holes, but I've never jokingly said "SPEED SLOT" so many times on a single golf course.

Shradersr wrote:

SDL wrote:

The best way to put it would be that the visuals are amazing for over 2/3 of the holes, and at least that many are just downright fun/interesting/exciting to play. SV is a very good course, and has plenty of interesting holes, but I've never jokingly said "SPEED SLOT" so many times on a single golf course.

To give you a better feel for why MD is so much fun, here are my earlier comments from a separate thread about the opening day at MD:

There is a naturalness to the way that the turf at MD "flows" around the hills and valleys while being bordered (or sometimes surrounded) by sand. Elevation changes are interesting and challenging. While most fairways tend to be quite wide, mid-fairway bunkers or "fingers" of sand jutting out from expansive sandy waste areas make it important to select specific sections of fairway as aim points from the tee. Kidd also told us that there are elements of the famous links at Machrihanish from his native Scotland that have been incorporated into the design of MD. Specifically, I noticed that a golfer at MD often needs to decide how much sandy waste to "bite-off" from the tee in order to keep a drive on the fairway - much like the first hole at Machrihanish, which demands a choice of how much ocean can be cleared with the intended drive. Speaking of water, MD has lots of sand instead. In fact, it often seems like the sand creates an effect that is very ocean-like, which helps to give the course the sense of "flow" mentioned earlier. For example, Hole 8 is often being called the "island green," where an island of grass floats in a sea of sand. Although hitting a shot into sand doesn't typically make a golfer happy, a recovery shot from sand is possible while hitting into a water hazard results in a penalty stroke and usually a lost ball. Hole 8 also provides an easier angle into the green for players using the closer tees than for those playing from the tips.

MD has many other holes that are unique and interesting, providing different challenges depending on pin placements and player creativity. I can remember frequently thinking how much fun it would be to play a hole again to see what it played like under different wind conditions or with a pin in a completely different part of the green. A great example of this type of hole would be Hole 6, which has what some have described as a "boomerang green" that lends itself to very interesting putting options depending on where on the green your ball ends up. Hole 14 is also very interesting, as this is the hole on which Kidd received significant input from the winner of the Golf Digest Armchair Architect competition. The hole is designed to be short enough to be a driveable par 4 for a lot of players, especially if the tee shot follows the "speed slot" created by the steep downhill right-to-left slope of the right side of the fairway.

For those of us who aren't members of private clubs or don't have friends who can get us on exclusive courses, the resorts created by the Keiser family give regular golfers a chance to play outstanding courses that are open to the public. Of the great courses I have played in North America, my top favorites are Cabot Cliffs, Pacific Dunes, and now Mammoth Dunes. For me, these three courses are simply 3 different flavors of "great." If you have an opportunity to play Mammoth Dunes, you should definitely play it. You will not be disappointed!
  • PuttLeftHitRightPuttLeftHitRight Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the reason for the temp greens on the MD course? Real green never grew in?
  • PhreddyPhreddy Members Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harsh ugly unforgiving winter followed by a very late and cold spring. Yes. I lived through this crap. On the plus side, it has become a very nice summer.
    If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

What is the reason for the temp greens on the MD course? Real green never grew in?

There were no temp greens on Mammoth Dunes when I played it on May 31. It is the Sand Valley course that has had a few temp greens this year, and updates on this issue have been discussed in a separate thread.
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the replay rate good to play the course you didn't originally play? (SV morning - MD afternoon)
  • jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left ClubWRX Posts: 3,307 ClubWRX
    mci711 wrote:

Is the replay rate good to play the course you didn't originally play? (SV morning - MD afternoon)

Yep. My email was confirmed with prices and I’m paying half for mammoth dunes in the afternoon.
    thehuyhuynhfoundation.com
    FlashSz 1w ADTP, 3w ADIZ, 5w ADDI, Graphite Design
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, 718 TMB 4i, Accra i100
    Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100
    Tour Newport // SC 009 
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    jerebear21 wrote:

mci711 wrote:

Yep. My email was confirmed with prices and I'm paying half for mammoth dunes in the afternoon.

Thanks man!
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Played here on Tuesday and really was impressed with the facility. Mike keiser was playing in the fdoup behind us and met him. Great day and was very secluded for sure. It is a big haul to get there. Like 4 1/2 hours from Southwest Chicago. Didn't play mammouth or sandbox but was a great day at SV. I'll be back and that should tell you all you need to know.

Btw they are building more housing on site which is the middle of nowhere.
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A week from today I will be playing at Sand Valley!!! Can't wait!!!
  • TadWPJTadWPJ Unregistered Posts: 292 ✭✭
    Schley wrote:

Played here on Tuesday and really was impressed with the facility. Mike keiser was playing in the fdoup behind us and met him. Great day and was very secluded for sure. It is a big haul to get there. Like 4 1/2 hours from Southwest Chicago. Didn't play mammouth or sandbox but was a great day at SV. I'll be back and that should tell you all you need to know.

Btw they are building more housing on site which is the middle of nowhere.

I'd rather be in the middle of nowhere then spending 25% of my life in windy traffic. By the time they are done there, they will have their own town.

Which courses are you playing?

Hope you have a great time!
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 12, 2018 #91
    SDL wrote:

Which courses are you playing?

Hope you have a great time!

Mammoth on Sunday followed by the Sandbox. Sand Valley on Monday. Then off to Kohler to play the River course, Straits, Irish, Erin Hills and The Bull.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file