ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Club champion fitting

Comments

• getitdailygetitdaily Advanced Members Posts: 2,432 ✭✭
    DeeBee30 wrote:

Bumping this thread since it’s about time for Club Champion’s winter half-off deal.

As much as I really want to get fit, I’ve always been concerned about doing it (1) off mats where you can’t really see turf interaction (especially short irons and wedges) and (2) into nets where you can’t really see ball flight.

I don’t know how much this is accurate, but I always feel like I adapt my swing for mats (which is why I don’t like practicing off them), so getting fit on mats may not mean I’m getting fit for my natural swing.

Also, I’m a technology junkie and love the concept of Trackman, etc, but it seems like it would inspire more confidence to see the actual ball flight in addition to the numbers and calculated flight on a launch monitor.

Ideally, I’d love to see an outfit like CC that performs fittings on grass ranges, but I know that’s not their model. I also know I can go to fittings at local courses with grass ranges, but that’s generally limited to specific manufacturers and one at a time.

Does anyone else share these concerns? For anyone who’s bought clubs (irons) from a CC (or similar indoor) fitting, what’s been your experience with the clubs in the real world vs the simulator? If unhappy with clubs, I know they offer to “make it right” by fixing or replacing clubs, but that’s still based on hitting in their bays.

Finally, before anyone feels like I’m sh*tting on CC, I’m not...I really want to use them because I live 15 minutes from their Willowbrook, IL location, but I’m trying to get past what I feel like are legitimate concerns. Any input from those with experience would be appreciated.

Just went for a driver fitting yesterday. Terrible experience. I posted about it...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1705630-club-champ-driver-fitting-more-questions-than-answers-g400ts316-m2/page__pid__18166358#entry18166358

buckeyefl wrote:

Never indoors and always on grass.

Agree and agree...100%
  • DeeBee30DeeBee30 Advanced Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
    getitdaily wrote:

DeeBee30 wrote:

Bumping this thread since it’s about time for Club Champion’s winter half-off deal.

As much as I really want to get fit, I’ve always been concerned about doing it (1) off mats where you can’t really see turf interaction (especially short irons and wedges) and (2) into nets where you can’t really see ball flight.

I don’t know how much this is accurate, but I always feel like I adapt my swing for mats (which is why I don’t like practicing off them), so getting fit on mats may not mean I’m getting fit for my natural swing.

Also, I’m a technology junkie and love the concept of Trackman, etc, but it seems like it would inspire more confidence to see the actual ball flight in addition to the numbers and calculated flight on a launch monitor.

Ideally, I’d love to see an outfit like CC that performs fittings on grass ranges, but I know that’s not their model. I also know I can go to fittings at local courses with grass ranges, but that’s generally limited to specific manufacturers and one at a time.

Does anyone else share these concerns? For anyone who’s bought clubs (irons) from a CC (or similar indoor) fitting, what’s been your experience with the clubs in the real world vs the simulator? If unhappy with clubs, I know they offer to “make it right” by fixing or replacing clubs, but that’s still based on hitting in their bays.

Finally, before anyone feels like I’m sh*tting on CC, I’m not...I really want to use them because I live 15 minutes from their Willowbrook, IL location, but I’m trying to get past what I feel like are legitimate concerns. Any input from those with experience would be appreciated.

Just went for a driver fitting yesterday. Terrible experience. I posted about it...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1705630-club-champ-driver-fitting-more-questions-than-answers-g400ts316-m2/page__pid__18166358#entry18166358

buckeyefl wrote:

Never indoors and always on grass.

Agree and agree...100%

Thanks for posting your experience and linking to it. All those comments push me further away from CC. I really need to find somewhere that I can hit different manufacturers’ clubs with a launch monitor off grass.
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
    Shop Pride Evolution Striped Plastic 2-3/4" tees
    Kapalua Color Magic Minuteman repair tool
    2001 & 2003 state quarter ball markers
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Advanced Members Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    I want someone to go to three different Club Champion locations and see if they walk out with the same fitting specs from each one.
  • getitdailygetitdaily Advanced Members Posts: 2,432 ✭✭

I want someone to go to three different Club Champion locations and see if they walk out with the same fitting specs from each one.

There's 0 chance of that happening.

Golfer swing differences on 3 different days. And, each fitter having "favorites".
  • Jim In SCJim In SC JiminSC Advanced Members Posts: 191 ✭✭
    I am higher handicapper and slow swing speed golfer returning to golf after an extended layoff. Went for a CC fitting and overall I would rate it a good investment. I am just having the recommended results put together by my local fitter. I was concerned about indoor TM data after seeing some of the posts about Foresight GC Quad vs. TM comparisons. Obviously with any fitting indoors or on the grass, the ability to have a consistent swing or lack thereof contributes greatly to the process of getting to the right arrows.

The CC process starts with hitting your “gamer”, in my case i started with driver and was satisfied that the numbers I was seeing on TM were consistent to my numbers I have experienced with other TM outdoor sessions and on course results. Next step was to tweak settings on gamer and determined the settings I was using provided best results. I was most interested in dispersion, with distance similar or greater to gamer. Moved on to 5 or 6 different shafts in "Gamer" and after 5 or 6 swings with each we settled on a shaft.

Then we used this shaft on various driver heads and after reviewing the data and my own input settled on a combination.

We then repeated this process with 3 woods and 3 hybrids. In my case we lofted up both clubs to gain height and carry.

For the irons you repeat this process using a six iron head. I did not spend much time on the wedge portion of the program as I felt very comfortable with my current gapping. After I put my new irons in play I will probably have to make some adjustments in my wedges.

I had done an Edel putter fitting with David Orr some years ago and the CC putter fitting led to just a minor loft adjustment on my Edel slight toe hang blade.

I am not using CC for my club build as I have an excellent local fitter, Ken at Victory Custom Golf. I picked up some of the heads I need on WRX a5nd expect to have everything done by the end of this week. As a slow swinging senior my bag is over populated with woods and at this point I will have a 13 club bag. Once I have on course experience with the new bag, I will be adding a club based on real life gapping distances.

Based on the fitting I am expecting improvements in my dispersion will all my longer clubs. Since I was using a 6 iron in the fitting I am anxious too see the real life gapping as the lofts in the new irons (JPX 919HM) are a lot stronger than my current set.

I will report back after I get some drive time on the new bag.
    Ping Gmax 10.5 VA Slay55 R
    Ping G400 SFT 3w,5w,7w Oban Isawa 65R
    Mizuno JPX 919HM 6-GW KBS TGI
    Titleiest H818-1
    Cleveland CBX 53, Titliest SM6 57
    Toulon Design Austin
    Evaluating Club Champion (in Willowbrook) vs PGA Superstore Fitting Van (in Downers Grove) for a bag fitting. Looking for some feedback on some *specific* items if anyone has good insight. As many of you probably know, CC is running their winter special (half-off all fittings), and PGASS has a "buy one, get the rest at 50% off" deal going.

Quick caveat: I know many people have generalized opinions that tend to run a little strong. I'm already considering some of the potential gotchas like indoor fitting off mats, selection of head/shaft combos, CC's tendency to recommend high-end ($$$) exotic stuff, etc. While all valid topics, I'm not looking for a runaway thread on the pros/cons of each.

My main considerations:

- Fitter expertise: Overall, I know a lot of the value of fitting comes from the expertise of the fitter. Trying to asses the guys available at both locations.

- Equipment options: I'm pretty confident that, while CC has more options, PGASS has enough that I could find the right fit, so equipment options is a draw for me.

- LM Accuracy: I realize Trackman and GCQ each have their strengths/weaknesses...I'm looking for good club and ball flight data that I can trust. I know CC uses the SAM putting lab - this isn't that important to me because, aside from a possible tweak on lie/loft and maybe grip, I envision my putter being the 1 club that stays in [background=rgb(246, 213, 217)]my bag.[/background]

- "Fit Guarantee": CC says that, if you don't like the real-world equipment performance, they'll "make it right" - my understanding is that means they'll tweak the specs on what you bought if needed. PGASS has a 90-day playability guarantee, where they'll take back any unsatisfactory equipment for credit towards a replacement. Unlike many folks here, I don't swap equipment often. I've owned only 3 sets of irons in 23 years of playing, while going through maybe 6 drivers. So...it's really important to me to get the next purchase right.

On to my specific questions:

1. Anyone have any experience with Danny Kusek at PGASS? It seems like he knows his stuff, and he actually recommended I wait on a woods fitting until after the new equipment comes out in January.

2. Same question about Roger Paiz at Club Champion. He used to sell equipment and moved over to fitting. If not Roger, who at this location have you worked with and what was the experience?

3. Anyone have practical experience with Trackman vs GC Quad? I understand the main differences and have reviewed many comparisons, including this one on WRX: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1676178-final-result-trackman-4-vs-gc2hmtgcquad/

FWIW, I also plan on checking out the fitting options at Mistwood and Cantigny. I'd love to be able to hit outside to see actual ball flight in addition to LM stats, but I need to figure out what they have in terms of fitters and equipment options.

1. Anyone have any experience with Danny Kusek at PGASS?

2. Same question about Roger Paiz at Club Champion. If not Roger, who at this location have you worked with and what was the experience?

3. Anyone have practical experience with Trackman vs GC Quad? I understand the main differences and have reviewed many comparisons, including this one on WRX: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1676178-final-result-trackman-4-vs-gc2hmtgcquad/
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
  • dhartmann34dhartmann34 Advanced Members Posts: 630 ✭✭
    DeeBee30 wrote:
    Evaluating Club Champion (in Willowbrook) vs PGA Superstore Fitting Van (in Downers Grove) for a bag fitting. Looking for some feedback on some *specific* items if anyone has good insight. As many of you probably know, CC is running their winter special (half-off all fittings), and PGASS has a "buy one, get the rest at 50% off" deal going.

Quick caveat: I know many people have generalized opinions that tend to run a little strong. I'm already considering some of the potential gotchas like indoor fitting off mats, selection of head/shaft combos, CC's tendency to recommend high-end ($$$) exotic stuff, etc. While all valid topics, I'm not looking for a runaway thread on the pros/cons of each.

My main considerations:

- Fitter expertise: Overall, I know a lot of the value of fitting comes from the expertise of the fitter. Trying to asses the guys available at both locations.

- Equipment options: I'm pretty confident that, while CC has more options, PGASS has enough that I could find the right fit, so equipment options is a draw for me.

- LM Accuracy: I realize Trackman and GCQ each have their strengths/weaknesses...I'm looking for good club and ball flight data that I can trust. I know CC uses the SAM putting lab - this isn't that important to me because, aside from a possible tweak on lie/loft and maybe grip, I envision my putter being the 1 club that stays in [background=rgb(246, 213, 217)]my bag.[/background]

- "Fit Guarantee": CC says that, if you don't like the real-world equipment performance, they'll "make it right" - my understanding is that means they'll tweak the specs on what you bought if needed. PGASS has a 90-day playability guarantee, where they'll take back any unsatisfactory equipment for credit towards a replacement. Unlike many folks here, I don't swap equipment often. I've owned only 3 sets of irons in 23 years of playing, while going through maybe 6 drivers. So...it's really important to me to get the next purchase right.

1. Anyone have any experience with Danny Kusek at PGASS? It seems like he knows his stuff, and he actually recommended I wait on a woods fitting until after the new equipment comes out in January.

2. Same question about Roger Paiz at Club Champion. He used to sell equipment and moved over to fitting. If not Roger, who at this location have you worked with and what was the experience?

FWIW, I also plan on checking out the fitting options at Mistwood and Cantigny. I'd love to be able to hit outside to see actual ball flight in addition to LM stats, but I need to figure out what they have in terms of fitters and equipment options.

1. Anyone have any experience with Danny Kusek at PGASS?

2. Same question about Roger Paiz at Club Champion. If not Roger, who at this location have you worked with and what was the experience?

I can't speak to the Willowbrook location, but I will tell you I've been fit by Tim Naughton at the Deerfield Club Champion, twice. The first time was 5 years ago. He was fantastic and the process was enlightening. I was afraid of the turf vs grass and wasn't sure what to expect. But the information I picked up and choices I made at the time helped me drop almost 4 strokes off my handicap that next season. He was honest with his recommendations and even had me keep my iron heads, hybrid, 4 wood and putter. He suggested I change my driver, iron shafts and then specs. Which I did over a period of the next 6 months, by sourcing my own equipment and having my own guy build them... Which made it a much cheaper venture. Tim was always there to answer my questions and give me any advice on decisions I was thinking about.

Fast forward to January of 2018 and I went in again. I had taken lessons for about a year so I figured it was time to make a change. I went back to Tim. Again the turf vs grass, and the fact that it was mid winter and my swing wasn't in tip top shape, was on my mind. But I went anyway. I spread it out over two days as you get tired going through the whole bag. Tim recommended new irons (Titleist AP2/AP3 combo which want even on my radar... Furthest from my thoughts actually) and shafts, same wedges with updated shafts, which I figured would happen (technology has changed a bit) and recommend that I keep my driver G400 and shaft, but upgrade to a G400 3 wood as well, but keeping the same shaft I had in my 4 wood. He also suggested a G400 crossover. We also changed a few specs on my putter.

I'll be honest, I wasn't sure about the recommendation. Spending money to once again source the components and have everything built was a bit nerve racking, but I did it. And boy did it make a difference. The new irons were great this year. The new 3 wood was fantastic. And once I figured out how to attack using the crossover, I was super happy with that. My putting was out of this world. So unbelievably glad I went.

Now, that all being said, if you pysch yourself out about the turf and indoor location (which I believe both CC and PGASS have plenty of space, unlike Golftec) and not trust the recommendation, then it makes no sense to worry about spending the money to go get fit. Your swing is your swing and while it can vary a tad, with all the swings and options you go through, I think your real swing will come through.

And you don't have to purchase your clubs through CC so if you want the playability guarantee, you can always take your specs to PGASS and order them there and still have that guarantee.

I know it doesn't address the people you spoke about, but I hope this helps and bit. Good luck!
    Thanks, dhartmann. It's great to hear your personal experience (2x) with CC. I have a [background=rgb(246, 213, 217)]golfing buddy [/background]who also got fit at that location, an I have no doubt Willowbrook (which is their HQ) would be good too.

Good point about buying through PGASS - in my heart, I know there's no way I'd buy through CC because of the cost. Yes, my game is worth an investment, but I'd definitely look to shave costs by sourcing recommended equipment elsewhere.

I admit that I have some mental hurdles to get past, which is what's kept me from doing this over the last few years.
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
  • rich srich s Advanced Members Posts: 487 ✭✭
    Alex in Deerfield did my driver/putter fitting. If I was to have another child (boy or girl) their name would be Alex. Can't talk about irons but driver and putter fitting made me question everything I thought I knew about the universe.
  • Long ShotLong Shot Advanced Members Posts: 477 ✭✭
    I would like to add a positive experience that I had at the Long Island Club Champion. I set up a fitting with Hiroshi, who has fit and worked with some of the better tournament Amateurs that I am friendly with and they recommended him. I set up a fitting because I recently got my butt into shape and dropped 75 (315 to 240) lbs in the past 6-7 months. I haven't been fit in a few years and wanted to get everything checked to find the best shafts etc. and to see if my specs changed. I went through an Iron and Driver fitting. I hit several shafts against my gamer irons, and we didn't find any shafts that really performed better (S400 ,Tour Issue) I found one that performed marginally better in the dispersion and felt better (Modus 120), but flight and spin were equal. Good info as I will be likely buying a new set when the new Callaway irons come out. We did find I could change my lengths and lie slightly, so that was good info.

In regards to the driver I game a Ping G400 LST with a stock shaft (bought it planning to change the shaft), but the stock shaft performed as good or better than all the shafts we tried (Oban to Diamana to Speeder etc.) The Oban Purple had a Marginally better dispersion (felt better to me as well), funny thing and Hiroshi the fitter didn't know this, but at my last fitting at Pete's Golf, this was the driver shaft I was fit into a few years ago.

So overall I think my fitting experience was a good one, gave me good info and also the confidence in knowing that I have the right equipment (thankfully I didn't have to spend any extra cash on reshafting or new clubs). I will use the info when I make my next purchase.
  • 300_Straight300_Straight Advanced Members Posts: 929
    Long Shot wrote:

I would like to add a positive experience that I had at the Long Island Club Champion. I set up a fitting with Hiroshi, who has fit and worked with some of the better tournament Amateurs that I am friendly with and they recommended him. I set up a fitting because I recently got my butt into shape and dropped 75 (315 to 240) lbs in the past 6-7 months. I haven't been fit in a few years and wanted to get everything checked to find the best shafts etc. and to see if my specs changed. I went through an Iron and Driver fitting. I hit several shafts against my gamer irons, and we didn't find any shafts that really performed better (S400 ,Tour Issue) I found one that performed marginally better in the dispersion and felt better (Modus 120), but flight and spin were equal. Good info as I will be likely buying a new set when the new Callaway irons come out. We did find I could change my lengths and lie slightly, so that was good info.

In regards to the driver I game a Ping G400 LST with a stock shaft (bought it planning to change the shaft), but the stock shaft performed as good or better than all the shafts we tried (Oban to Diamana to Speeder etc.) The Oban Purple had a Marginally better dispersion (felt better to me as well), funny thing and Hiroshi the fitter didn't know this, but at my last fitting at Pete's Golf, this was the driver shaft I was fit into a few years ago.

So overall I think my fitting experience was a good one, gave me good info and also the confidence in knowing that I have the right equipment (thankfully I didn't have to spend any extra cash on reshafting or new clubs). I will use the info when I make my next purchase.

Good to know as I am on Long Island as well and was considering either a Club Champion or Pete's Golf fitting. Any insight you can give on these 2?

I would really prefer getting fit outdoors, which is why I contacted HotStix Golf up in Nyack county, NY. I haven't heard back yet, but I wasn't planning on getting fit until next season anyway because I am currently doing SuperSpeed Golf and I'm assuming I will continue to make gains until next season. I'm also not entirely trusting of Launch Monitors indoors....
    King LTD Pro 7.5 F / Kuro Kage DC 70TX - 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    '94 Callaway Big Bertha 3 - 9 irons
    46* SM7 / 50* (TBD) / 54* Top Flite / 58* (TBD)
    Old Odyssey Mallet
  • Long ShotLong Shot Advanced Members Posts: 477 ✭✭
    Both are good. Can’t go wrong with either. If you can arrange an outdoor fitting that would be my first choice though, but outside of demo day season it’s toifg to do on Long Island.
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Advanced Members Posts: 1,581 ✭✭
    CactusGolf wrote:

Was fitted for a driver at Club Champion in Orlando back in September. I paid full price for the driver fitting and would absolutely do it again. Properly fit club gave me the yardage I had lost by switching to something that absolutely didn't fit me.

1/2 off a full bag fitting would be a good deal. Just wish I needed the rest of my bag looked at!

Thanks for the heads up, I work next door to the Orlando location and was thinking of doing a proper Driver fitting.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: He who shall not be named...[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 816H1 21 Degree w/Accra 182H M3[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Callaway ChromeSoft 2018 (Yellow)[/font]
    Yeah, for anyone considering it, CC has their 1/2 off Winter special through 1/31, so a full bag fitting is $175. Be sure to break it up into two sessions to avoid fatigue.
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
  • fairways4lifefairways4life Advanced Members Posts: 1,553
    (Speaking of just a driver fitting here)...

When they give you the spec sheet at the end, does it include only the specs of the driver / shaft combination that you hit the best and were "fitted into?" Or does it include all the launch monitor data for all the different combinations that you hit? I'm considering doing it to get the information. I can do a driver fitting right now for $100 and to me, having all of that information would be worth it. But only if I can get all the info from everything that I hit. Launch angles, spin rates, carry distance, angle of descent, everything. And not just for the one club that was best but for all of them.

Anyone that has done the driver fitting, what kind of info do they hand you? Anyone have a picture of their data sheet that they would be willing to post here?
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Advanced Members Posts: 4,713 ✭✭

When they give you the spec sheet at the end, does it include only the specs of the driver / shaft combination that you hit the best and were "fitted into?" Or does it include all the launch monitor data for all the different combinations that you hit? I'm considering doing it to get the information. I can do a driver fitting right now for $100 and to me, having all of that information would be worth it. But only if I can get all the info from everything that I hit. Launch angles, spin rates, carry distance, angle of descent, everything. And not just for the one club that was best but for all of them.

Anyone that has done the driver fitting, what kind of info do they hand you? Anyone have a picture of their data sheet that they would be willing to post here?

You'll get a color "Trackman Report" that shows a bird's-eye and side view of your various shot patters of each driver you try. Also listed in spreadsheet form will be the averages of all of the info (spin, launch, etc.) you're interested in.
  • fairways4lifefairways4life Advanced Members Posts: 1,553
    KMeloney wrote:

You'll get a color "Trackman Report" that shows a bird's-eye and side view of your various shot patters of each driver you try. Also listed in spreadsheet form will be the averages of all of the info (spin, launch, etc.) you're interested in.

Awesome thanks. That's exactly what I'm hoping to get my hands on.
  • ROH1ROH1 Advanced Members Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Any reviews of a putter fitting at CC? $67 for a fitting right now. Some reviews I found are not so complementary.
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Advanced Members Posts: 3,472 ✭✭
    I’ve aaid it before but don’t look for a place, look for an individual.

A lot of ppl here rating CC, but that’s a bit silly because if you find a great fitter there you will say CC is amazing. If you find a lousy fitter, you will conclude all CC suck.
    Small update on my original post. I've decided to go in for the CC fitting this month (to take advantage of their Winter deal). My mat vs grass concern has been alleviated because I've been hitting at a nearby simulator facility for the last couple of months and feel good about putting a good swing on the ball from mats.

My only lingering issue (which won't hold me back) is that the fitter at PGASS recommended waiting until February to hit woods because all the new heads will come out at the PGA show in about 10 days. I'm going to ask CC when they'll have new heads in, but I have a feeling I may miss out on hitting many of the 2019 models.

Anybody have experience with the timing of the new equipment releases in relation to getting fit this time of year?

I'll post a more meaningful update after the session(s).
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
    How accurate has Trackman been in terms of getting your current clubs’ carry distances right during the fitting?

I ask because I’ve been hitting at a sim place that uses GC2s, and by default they have to set the altitude at 1200 feet to get distances that more closely resemble what we’d typically see here in Chicago during the summer (80*, no wind, etc). That struck me as a little odd since were actually about 700’ altitude around here, but it seems to work and has been consistent across multiple sessions.

Before anyone thinks this is some ego-based setting so people hit the ball farther (and there are some of those guys who want it set at 10,000’), I’ve calibrated the 1200’ setting against my PW, 8i and 6i, as well as several length partial wedge shots and it dials in my stock distances spot-on. 700’ leaves all clubs about 8-10% short.
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
  • Dfrank0988Dfrank0988 Members Posts: 1
    My wife just gave me a CC gift card for a full bag fitting for Christmas and I wanted to wait until all the new drivers are out as that is what I plan to replace. I called to schedule my appointment and one of the questions I asked was the availability of all the new heads. Per the rep they have everything in except the new Taylormades, which they received at HQ and were getting ready to send out to each location, and the forthcoming Pings which the said they expect to have in early February.
  • Krt22Krt22 Advanced Members Posts: 6,032 ✭✭
    I'm going in on Tuesday, we'll see what they have
    DeeBee30 wrote:
    How accurate has Trackman been in terms of getting your current clubs’ carry distances right during the fitting?

If properly setup should be very accurate. The radar still captures 8-20ft of ball flight and then calculates the full ball flight from their ball flight model/equation. Sometimes yardages might be slightly higher due to lower spin hitting off mats, but for fitting purposes absolute accuracy probably isn't important as delta numbers and dispersion
  • 300_Straight300_Straight Advanced Members Posts: 929
    I'm set for a Driver fitting tomorrow afternoon with Hiroshi at the Long Island location. I'm actually going to get fit for a shaft in my LTD Pro head, which I'm very excited about. Will be comparing it to my current gamer to see if I can find some yards.

Apparently Trackman is very accurate. I am pumped to see my numbers on Trackman. My only wish is that it was outside!!
    King LTD Pro 7.5 F / Kuro Kage DC 70TX - 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    '94 Callaway Big Bertha 3 - 9 irons
    46* SM7 / 50* (TBD) / 54* Top Flite / 58* (TBD)
    Old Odyssey Mallet
    Finally going for the first session of my fitting at CC in Willowbrook, IL on Thursday. Breaking it up into two sessions - I’m thinking driver/3W/hybrid on day one and then irons/wedges/putter on the second day. I’ve been hitting for 2-3 hours a week at a sim place, so I don’t think fatigue will be an issue, but this way should make sure I can put my best swings into the effort.

I’m excited to finally go through a full fitting. I’ve only ever been fit for a driver, and that was about 13 years ago. Based on all the other CC experiences I’ve heard about, I fully expect a major case of sticker shock when I get the final recommendations. It’ll be interesting to see how exotic they get and whether I can some up with a reasonable equipment plan that’s either identical or close to theirs.

Separately, I’ve heard (from GC2 proponents) that Trackman can have some problems tracking drivers accurately due to ball speed, so I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes. I’m hoping they’ll let me start with my 8i to ensure the distances are calibrated correctly, then move to the actual fitting.
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
    I did mine today. New epic flash and Cobra f9 were available to test, No m5/6, ping, or Mizuno yet.

I did end up getting fit into some exotic stuff but the numbers were actually extremely compelling. I'm pretty happy with my length so my main goal was to mitigate my left miss and tighten up dispersion, which they did. Got more length,less curve, smaller miss. The Sam lab putter fitting was also really good. I was way off the mark with the flat stick.

The only Trackman anomaly I experienced was the ocassionally high smash factors which is well known.
  • type36type36 Members Posts: 8 ✭✭
    I am going in for the first half of my full bag fitting this Saturday, irons ,wedges and putter. Other than a half hearted Titleist driver fitting a few years ago, first time around for me. Probably will do the driver/woods/hybrids some time next week.

I use a Trugolf sim a couple times a week, will be interesting see how the numbers compare.
  • leomessi10leomessi10 Advanced Members Posts: 526
    I'm doing a driver fitting on 1/26. Silly question but can I bring driver heads that I own and use their shafts and shaft fitting system (guessing its club connex)? Is the female part of the connex system bonded to the head?
    From what I could tell their adapters are bonded into the OEM shaft adapter such that they can still adjust the heads. Male on the shaft end, female on the head
    Krt22 wrote:

From what I could tell their adapters are bonded into the OEM shaft adapter such that they can still adjust the heads. Male on the shaft end, female on the head

This - looking at the Club Conex website, their adapters look like the Faz-Fit series.
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
    Well, I caught a wicked stomach bug yesterday afternoon that had me laid out into the night, and I wasn't sure I'd have the energy to manage enough good swings for the first session of my full bag fitting today at the Willowbrook, IL CC, but I was able to push through it and get the irons done.

I worked with Roger Paiz and told him that I'd have lots of questions because I want to understand the process, not just go through it. He was really accommodating and forthcoming with responses to my questions about why he was pulling certain shafts and heads, as well as what his expected outcomes were with each one. Unfortunately, we only covered irons in the 2-hour+ session and didn't get to wedges/putter because of all the (needed) discussion. We'll finish the bag in early Feb.

Today, I hit 6 different shafts and 6 different heads. For shafts, the KBS Tour V stiff clearly provided the best results and felt the best. For heads, it was a near tie between the Mizuno MP-18 SC and the Titleist AP2. The new Callaway Apex Pros provided some pretty good numbers too, but the spin was a bit low and they were a little clicky for my taste. I currently game Mizzy MP-52s with DG S300s, and well-hit shots are just buttery smooth to the ear and hands. So, the MP-18s eeked out the APs in terms of feel - I guess I really am a Mizuno guy now. The KBS/MP-18 combo yielded an increase in carry distance of about 1 club (identical 31* loft as my MP-52) and a much tighter shot dispersion (which is my main focus).

This was my first time hitting on Trackman (my main indoor sessions have been on a GC2 w/out HMT), and I have to say the swing path and club head data was very enlightening. Where I *felt* like I was coming a little over the top, Trackman showed it no more than -.4* out-to-in. It's good to be able to recalibrate that feeling with some empirical data.

Overall, the CC fitting has been a great experience so far. I'm really looking forward to going through the top of the bag next time.

Once anecdote about Trackman: I had to ask the fitter to change the altitude setting from their standard sea level to 800', which is about where we are in Chicago. I've posted elsewhere here that I learned on GC2 that it really makes a difference (about 10%), and I wanted results that were closer to real-world during the fitting. Oddly, the fitter said I was the first guy to ask about this and request any kind of change. I guess they prefer to standardize to sea level in all their locations except Denver, and customers don't question it. Doesn't make sense to me, but it was an easy enough change.
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
  • JoeBloe777JoeBloe777 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Not sure why this would matter. If you know how far you hit it on their Trackman with your clubs, then gains would be gains. If you hit your 7 iron 150 and the fitted 7 iron 160, that 10 yards will carry over outside as well. I think that is their reasoning, or at least what they told me, and it 100% makes sense. That is why they always have you hit your current clubs first. Setting Trackman at sea level and being short is much better than them cranking it up to 5,000 feet and juicing the numbers.
    Yep, delta and dispersion can't be juiced. My goal was to reduce dispersion which I did. Pured shots were similar but average went up sinfe mishits weren't as bad
    edited January 26
    JoeBloe777 wrote:
    Not sure why this would matter. If you know how far you hit it on their Trackman with your clubs, then gains would be gains. If you hit your 7 iron 150 and the fitted 7 iron 160, that 10 yards will carry over outside as well. I think that is their reasoning, or at least what they told me, and it 100% makes sense. That is why they always have you hit your current clubs first. Setting Trackman at sea level and being short is much better than them cranking it up to 5,000 feet and juicing the numbers.

JB, you don’t think that’s an oversimplification? It’s not like it was a binary choice between sea level or 5000 feet. Setting the altitude at 800 feet to replicate *my home* elevation is very different than juicing it up to mile high altitude to boost the results.

For me, it was important to see a 6i distance that indicated that I was fully warmed up and making good contact with my gamer. Once we had that, it became the baseline against which to compare everything else. And I had the peace of mind in knowing - with greater precision - what the yardage and dispersion distances were with each club combo.

I don’t see why anyone would think having *more* accurate data isn’t a good thing.

Edit: fixed a typo
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
    edited January 26
    800yrds and 800ft is a big difference. You wont see 10% more carry at 800ft.

Lets assume PGA tour "trackman averages"

For a 7i its a 2yrd carry delta. 163 vs 165

On a driver its a 3yrd delta. 270 vs 273

Pretty negligible IMO
  • type36type36 Members Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited January 26
    I went this morning for irons, wedges and putter. Hit about six different heads, after we both liked the Aerotech i95 shafts best. I was open to any brand of head, and we ultimately chose 2019 Big Berthas. For shovels, they look pretty good. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> Nice feel, too.

We stayed with my 3 Vokey wedge heads, just reshafted.

I think she was a bit skeptical about my Newport 3 putter being correct for me, until I canned 8 straight 10 footers for the putting machine. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

We did tweak the lie just a little, and she suggested a slightly fatter grip.

Good experience, learned a lot. New clubs won't cure this golf game, but should help a little. Woods, driver and hybrids a week from Monday.
    Krt22 wrote:

Pretty negligible IMO

Fixed my 800 “yard” typo.

I agree that real-world physics may make the differences less dramatic, but in my simulator experience (on three different GC2s and a TM), the difference has been noticeable. I’ve been hitting on a GC2 2-3 times per week this winter and the facility owner told me himself that he has to adjust the altitude setting to replicate the yardage results we see here in Chicago. And once the CC fitter changed the TM to 800’, the variance was eliminated.

And yes, I actually map out my wedges and irons on a real course with a laser rangefinder every season, so I really do know my true real-world distances.

Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
    DeeBee30 wrote:

Krt22 wrote:

Pretty negligible IMO

Fixed my 800 “yard” typo.

I agree that real-world physics may make the differences less dramatic, but in my simulator experience (on three different GC2s and a TM), the difference has been noticeable. I’ve been hitting on a GC2 2-3 times per week this winter and the facility owner told me himself that he has to adjust the altitude setting to replicate the yardage results we see here in Chicago. And once the CC fitter changed the TM to 800’, the variance was eliminated.

And yes, I actually map out my wedges and irons on a real course with a laser rangefinder every season, so I really do know my true real-world distances.

Maybe just indoor effect, maybe being winter vs playing spring/summer in the midwest where it's warmer and more humid (which does increase carry), but 800ft simply does not add 10% to carry numbers
  • KMo23KMo23 Advanced Members Posts: 130
    800 ft elevation on a TM isn’t going to drastically change your carry distances.
    Do the fittings ever actually take the whole time to complete?
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 816H1 21 Degree w/Accra 182H M3[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Callaway ChromeSoft 2018 (Yellow)[/font]
  • firstbatchfirstbatch Advanced Members Posts: 998 ✭✭
    Does CC do MOI fittings?
    King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S
    Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
    Adams A4 5-pw recoil 95 s
    Adams's 9031 23deg hyb Diamana 82+ S
    Cobra F6 Baffler stock RedTie S
    Adams Pugelli 54 SW
    Ping Glide 58 SS
    Mizuno MPT10 64
    Kenny Giannini G6
    yes, it's a lot of swings. If anything a lot of people break it up into two sessions
    edited January 31

As stated, yes. They blocked 2 hours for just half of the bag (irons), and I went 2.5 hours on the 6 iron alone. Probably hit about 100-125 balls total. About 12-15 warm-ups with my gamer, then 5-10 shots each with my gamer, several shaft options (until we landed on a shaft), and then 6 other heads with that shaft. Factor in the time to quickly review the numbers after each shot, swapping out shafts/heads, adjusting lie angles, and general discussion/Q&A along the way...the time adds up.

To be fair, I had a LOT of questions and wanted to know a lot of the *why* behind what we were seeing and what he was recommending, so that's why we went a little long and didn't get to the wedges during the iron session. I'm expecting another 2.5 to 3 hours for driver, 3W, hybrid, wedges and putter session.

Edited to fix errors.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
    DeeBee30 wrote:

As stated, yes. They blocked 2 hours for just half of the bag (irons), and I went 2.5 hours on the 6 iron alone. Probably hit about 100-125 balls total. About 12-15 warm-ups with my gamer, then 5-10 shots each with my gamer, several shaft options (until we landed on a shaft), and then 6 other heads with that shaft. Factor in the time to quickly review the numbers after each shot, swapping out shafts/heads, adjusting lie angles, and general discussion/Q&A along the way...the time adds up.

To be fair, I had a LOT of questions and wanted to know a lot of the *why* behind what we were seeing and what he was recommending, so that's why we went a little long and didn't get to the wedges during the iron session. I'm expecting another 2.5 to 3 hours for driver, 3W, hybrid, wedges and putter session.

Edited to fix errors.

That time is figured into the estimated time though, correct? So if a full bag says it takes 4 hours to fit, if we don't finish in that time we just reschedule the rest of the fitting at a later date.
  • KMo23KMo23 Advanced Members Posts: 130
    A 2.5 hour iron fit just sounds awful- I’d rather go to the dentist!

If you let a fitter do their job, don’t try to change your swing and stay in your lane, it shouldn’t take nearly that long.
  • toy cannontoy cannon Advanced Members Posts: 77
    I am thinking of doing an iron fitting next month. If I go in with a upfront attitude about just there to get the correct shaft and head combo and having someone else build it how receptive are they to that idea?
  • forecast6236forecast6236 Advanced Members Posts: 355
    Did the full bag fitting yesterday, first time in a CC. Really pleased with the experience and got so many questions answered. I found that the factors we discussed were very different than what you get at the big box store. I play off scratch and never realized how much more ball speed I could get with the proper swing weight. With a slightly lighter shaft than my DG S300 (Oban ct 115) and a slightly heavier 6 iron head (I play s55s) my 6-iron ball speed went from 123mph to 131mph.

We spent the first 1.5 hours playing with this and nailing down the Oban ct 115 shafts as ideal for me. It's counter balanced and what was interesting is that when we moved to Driver shaft we figured out a counter balanced shaft worked better for me there as well so I'm having them throw that new shaft into my Driver.

I didn't want to spend any time on wedges so I spent the remaining time figuring out a driving iron and doing the putter analysis. Putter was eye opening..... figured out the blade style I use (Bettinardi BB8) is exact opposite of what they would recommend based on my stroke, which is shorter and more strait back strait through. I'm not going to buy a face balanced mallet yet but they did adjust the loft I had which was 0 degrees to 1.5. I'm not sure if it came at 0 or that was from one too many putter slams.... Balls rolls much better off the face now.

Wealth of info and I had a great fitter. As has been stated their prices are absolutely ridiculous but you're paying for a build that's 1000% to spec with the data to back it up. I started small with just a new Driver shaft and driving iron. You have to decide whether the gains you see with a more optimum setup are worth the coin you would need to drop.

My best takeaway was finding out counter balanced shafts produce better results for me in irons and woods. Completely changes which equipment I'll be looking for in the future. I didn't even know there were counter balanced shafts before this.....
  • JoeBloe777JoeBloe777 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
    KMo23 wrote:

A 2.5 hour iron fit just sounds awful- I'd rather go to the dentist!

If you let a fitter do their job, don't try to change your swing and stay in your lane, it shouldn't take nearly that long.

Agreed!! Spending 2.5 hours on irons is a bit much! Aren't their time slots close to 3.5 hours for everything? Basically you are going to spend double the amount of time there and really not buy anything?? If most of their customers do this they won't be in business long.
    JoeBloe777 wrote:

KMo23 wrote:

A 2.5 hour iron fit just sounds awful- I'd rather go to the dentist!

If you let a fitter do their job, don't try to change your swing and stay in your lane, it shouldn't take nearly that long.

Agreed!! Spending 2.5 hours on irons is a bit much! Aren't their time slots close to 3.5 hours for everything? Basically you are going to spend double the amount of time there and really not buy anything?? If most of their customers do this they won't be in business long.

Guys - I included in my post that I spent a fair amount of time in discussion with the fitter during the session. Yes, I could have finished the iron session in much less time, but he was very accommodating after I told him *up front* that I'd have a lot of questions about why he was selecting certain shafts/heads and what the TM numbers were telling us.

As for my time spent hitting balls, I can easily spend 1.5-2 hours on the range hitting balls, so that doesn't bother me. This session wasn't me modifying my swing or turning it into a practice session. It was 5-10 normal swings with several different combos, with some discussion mixed in.

Ultimately, the fitter had the time open on his schedule and we used it to make sure I was comfortable with the process and the information being generated. And who's to say I'm not buying anything from them? I'll make that decision when we have all the specs and prices compiled.

So...what's the problem with my e, and why are people so quick to impose their judgment based on what they feel is right for them?
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls