2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TM-92 Australian Blade Specs?

I came across a mint-looking set of these online here in Japan and they were sold shortly after (to me). I've been scouring the net looking for specs. And I just can't seem to track them down. Help me out?

I really hope my wife doesn't get upset when two more boxes come to the door. I also picked up a set of the DP-30s the same day. I'll have to do some comparison of the Dunlop Models in my house - I've already got the DP201s and 212s. Now all I've got to do is find some time to play.

Thank you very muchly!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon that there's a regular contributor to these pages that might have a rough idea...

Hope so!

The first time I actually sat down to watch golf was in 1992, as it happens. I remember watching the US Open at Pebble Beach on the Saturday with my dad on the TV. I think I hit my first golf balls shortly after. By 1995 I was down to scratch handicap and won a few junior tournaments - with Ping Eye2s 3-SW, a Titleist PT driver and a black Hogan Radial 3 wood. Think I used a Bullseye for most of my golf then before turning to Ping and then to Odyssey. God, was I spoiled.

The Tad Moore putters were some of the finest looking sticks going. One of the best players around had a set of Maxfli irons, but I don't know which ones. I'll have to ask him next time I go back to my hometown

I came across a mint-looking set of these online here in Japan and they were sold shortly after (to me). I've been scouring the net looking for specs. And I just can't seem to track them down. Help me out?

I really hope my wife doesn't get upset when two more boxes come to the door. I also picked up a set of the DP-30s the same day. I'll have to do some comparison of the Dunlop Models in my house - I've already got the DP201s and 212s. Now all I've got to do is find some time to play.

Thank you very muchly!

Sloop-

Tad Moore should be along shortly to comment on these clubs... again...., since they are his design. In fact, Tad is a frequent contributor to the Golfwrx site.

Yes...A really great forged iron, used by a number of Maxfli staffers.

And of course....RH Only.

Thank you very muchly!

Tried several times to get a good scan on this, but it's still hard to read. Let me know if you need clarification on a number.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

"Proper" set of blades. Anyone know if these are the same molds as the ones Trevino used during his prime?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

You gentleman are something else! Bravo.

Now if I just have to wait for this killer hangover to subside before I look at that great ad!

Oh and I did know Mr. Moore posts here, just didn't want to bother the man. Just, the specs never came up in any thread...

Now back to that headache... arrrrg

Don't ever hesitate to ask. As long as I am kicking I want to help those that are fans of my designs.

These irons were made at Hoffman Foundry just outside Memphis. Very good to work with. The original heads I made at the tour shop in Kobe Japan offices of Dunlop Japan. I was asked in 1990 to develop irons, wedges and make a few persimmon drivers. All these were made in that great shop. I then transferred iron head masters to Hoffman. The drivers were all made in Japan. I had one Tour win with David Frost. Enjoy these irons. There sweet

Well I was born in Australia and 92 is my number (undefeated university golf season) ... so I approve

I've got 92 on my Titleist balls and license plate

I must hunt down a set !!!!

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Don't ever hesitate to ask. As long as I am kicking I want to help those that are fans of my designs.

These irons were made at Hoffman Foundry just outside Memphis. Very good to work with. The original heads I made at the tour shop in Kobe Japan offices of Dunlop Japan. I was asked in 1990 to develop irons, wedges and make a few persimmon drivers. All these were made in that great shop. I then transferred iron head masters to Hoffman. The drivers were all made in Japan. I had one Tour win with David Frost. Enjoy these irons. There sweet

I had one of your burgundy drivers a handful of years ago ...loved it

EvnRoll ER9

I thought I read somewhere, that these heads were Cast? Is that not true, Tad?

Have a near pristine set.

Thank you very much Mr. Moore.

So, this particular model is forged. There were a lot of 'Aussie' blades and the later one's the 2000 model I think and some others were cast. There's a thread with a really pretty cast set. I've seen some Daiwa Advisors that were cast as well. The David Graham model. Those are a beautiful set of sticks too!

I do have one question. The set I just picked up in Japan. Is there any way they were made here? Obviously the could have been shipped over like the million sets of Eye2s you see over here. But, maybe there's a possibility?

Either way, I know Hoffman had about as good a reputation as you can get, so.... There's that.

That would be true of the MCT97 model that came later, was perhaps even the very next iteration?

Exactly, Birly. There were no Aussie Blades between the TM-92 and MCT-97. It's the 97s that were cast (304 stainless, IIRC), the TM-92 and previous were forged.

The last iteration of Aussie Blades were also cast, came out at the end of 1998. Said to be "cast nickel." Companions to the black dot Revolution irons, and later subsequent midsized red dot Revolutions.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Well in 1996 I parted with Maxfli. Not really something I wanted to do. The Pres of Maxfli decided to turn all golf club design and mfg to Golfworks-Maltby. He spent millions trying to make a wound ball when he should have stayed in clubs and worked on molded balls that they were good at.

The TM92 were the last forged. Some of you have seen some Tour only heads ( not like some putter people) that were truly made for a player in the Japan Tour operation. They are marked a little different.

From there I started Tad Moore Golf and besides clubs we were the distributor for Srixon. Tad Moore golf made two beautiful sets- a signature blade kinda next gen Aussie and a cavity back with a center mass later done by Mizuno. If you can find a set of these they play great. Very soft finish kinda gold/silver looking. Not many sets out there.

Our metal woods were played on tour as well as the irons. The green 997 yi and the burgandy Skyrider that higher handicap players loved.

Enjoy

Brian,

Want to trade for the blades?

EvnRoll ER9

Brian,

Want to trade for the blades?

No thanks. I play them occasionally and there's nothing I'm looking for.

Oh... And... I take it you visited Japan a few times then? How did you like it?

I married a Japanese lady from Kyoto and we live just down the street from the Golden Temple and about 1 or 200 other temples. Ever make your way up here?

I love Japan. Have not been there in two years. One of my favorite places is Kobe

Well in 1996 I parted with Maxfli. Not really something I wanted to do. The Pres of Maxfli decided to turn all golf club design and mfg to Golfworks-Maltby. He spent millions trying to make a wound ball when he should have stayed in clubs and worked on molded balls that they were good at.

The TM92 were the last forged. Some of you have seen some Tour only heads ( not like some putter people) that were truly made for a player in the Japan Tour operation. They are marked a little different.

From there I started Tad Moore Golf and besides clubs we were the distributor for Srixon. Tad Moore golf made two beautiful sets- a signature blade kinda next gen Aussie and a cavity back with a center mass later done by Mizuno. If you can find a set of these they play great. Very soft finish kinda gold/silver looking. Not many sets out there.

Our metal woods were played on tour as well as the irons. The green 997 yi and the burgandy Skyrider that higher handicap players loved.

Enjoy

Tad-

As we spoke before, it was Maxfli where you made the TM milled putters, which included the LH TM-5 putter which found its way into my bag. Included is a photo which includes a LH T-Bone (Pat Pend)

That was over 25 years ago, long before someone contracted with someone else $$$$$$$$ to make milled putters.

Even though Maxfli did not let you include LH irons (no market), I will always be grateful.

Thanks again.

Make sure and post some pics of those MTB.

No doubt.

Nobody is better, or more personable than Tad.

In the interest of full disclosure, I consider Tad a friend, and I own 4 custom putters from him, and have bought my Dad 2, and the godfather of my second child a custom Hoffman forged blade.

The first time I called Tad, he answered the phone "Hello, Tad Moore"

I said: "Yes, I'd like to speak to Tad."

"That is why I said Hello, Tad Moore".