The M1 440 is Long AND Forgiving, I'm Impressed!!

Milez28

I got a chance to hit all the new 2017 M line and tried the M1, M2, & M1 440. I didn't bother trying the D-type M2 since I normally hit a slight draw and my usual miss is snap left. I've tried and played most low spin drivers of the last few years and always keep going back to what I consider a very underrated driver (hotmelted Jetspeed) because it's as sneaky long as anything I've hit but it's also very forgiving.

The 440 immediately caught my eye and appealed to me because of the deeper face and smaller footprint. Compared to the 440, the 460 M1/M2 looked huge so I was worried I wouldn't hit the 440 as well and my misses would be severely punished. That wasn't the case actually. I hit some very low on the face and granted even though the spin went up, I was surprised it still carried pretty far. Plus my main miss is an early release toe hit which normally snaps hard left but surprisingly didn't snap as bad as I expected. I was really impressed how forgiving the misses were. I tried the M1 430 last year and this is head and shoulders above it as far as forgiveness. I even played the M1 460 last year for a bit but got rid of it because my misses were both left and right. I don't know if it just wasn't for me but I always felt it was too much fade biased and had to work extra hard to turn it left. With the new M1 I can go after it without being worried of missing right. I also noticed the sound/feel improved dramatically from last years M1. Last years M2 wasn't bad but the M1 felt hard and the sound was awfully harsh on some hits.

For reference I my SS was around 115 (normal) to low 120s (if I go after it). I wish I was smooth but I've been told I'm not. It's not pretty and I'm pretty quick with my transition. I used my gamer shaft in all the drivers to get a fair comparison because the fitter didn't have any of the new shaft offerings yet in a heavier x flex range. He said he had to send most of last years shafts back and they will send him the new ones soon. So in my comparison I used mine (Speeder Evo 757x tipped playing at 44.5")

My Jetspeed was carrying average 285ish and so was the 460 M1&M2. I just couldn't get the same numbers with the 460 heads as I could with the 440. When I got the settings adjusted in the 440 it was carrying 300 and some shots were further. I had the back weight all the way forward and the front weight more toward the toe. I'm guessing I put too much spin and the 440 definitely lowered it to create more carry. But what I was impressed with was the dispersion was more consistent due to me hitting the center more. Maybe the deeper/smaller shape just fits me more. I wish I took pics of the numbers on the monitor but I really wasn't thinking about giving a review. Since I've been on here recently looking for ideas for a new shaft to put in it, I figured I'd share my experience with others to at least try the new line and get fitted.

I'm really excited to try different shafts to see if I can maximize it more but not sure what to go with. I want to try the Tensei Pro White, HZRDUS black, Matrix Speed RULZ Type-C, GD AD-GP, maybe Black Tie... but I will be getting one soon. It's the real deal!

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm super curious about the 440 myself. I always seem to be able to hit my 3 wood better than my driver and I have always wondered if I got a smaller driver head if I would hit my driver better.

Also, thanks for posting your experiences with it!

I felt the same way, then after hitting the 440, the 460s just looked huge!

When the fitter switched heads and put in the M1 460 I was like wow, I can't miss with this!! But just couldn't get the ball speeds I was getting with the 440.

I'm super curious about the 440 myself. I always seem to be able to hit my 3 wood better than my driver and I have always wondered if I got a smaller driver head if I would hit my driver better.

Also, thanks for posting your experiences with it!

I felt the same way, then after hitting the 440, the 460s just looked huge!

When the fitter switched heads and put in the M1 460 I was like wow, I can't miss with this!! But just couldn't get the ball speeds I was getting with the 440.

Thanks for that, I'm going to definitely have to try it out now, lol.

agreed, the 440 looks considerably smaller than the 460s. I havent compared the old to new, but according to a buddy, the 440 head has a similar footprint to the 2016 460cc heads.

I was at the right place at the right time when the rep came and was able to purchase the 440 from a local retailer sight unseen. i think it sounds better than the previous generation, the paint scheme looks better than the previous models... and i thought the 2016s looked good!

G430 Max 9*

Ping G25 20*

Ping G425 26*
Ping i500 5-W
Ping Glide Forged 50*/54* 
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2  58*
Ping PLD Custom DS72H 

I have the 440 on order. I was put off by the new color..*cough* but I got over that once I hit it. The 430 last year was all over the place for me. Went to M2,but didn't like it either. Traded it for a 460 m1. Best driver I've used until trying the 440.

Just something about the new 440. Just seems so easy to hit and it just goes and goes. Like the m1 460 I currently use. Same forgiveness, but more distance. Sound is about the same for me,but will say the 17 M series feels more responsive. Feels more solid. I know where I hit the ball on the face. Compared to my M1 now I know where it hit by the sound.

Disclaimer: I was told this years M1 440 is last years tour issue M1 in retail form. Don't know 100% if true,just what I was told.

Is there a difference between the face of the 440 and 460, like if its deep face or not? Titleist does the D3 which is deep face, which seems to work for my swing. I've never owned a Taylormade driver so I'm getting some research on them.

Mizuno ST200 10.5* - Tensei Blue 70x
Ping G 13* - Tour 80x
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi - 3i Mitsubishi Tensei White 90TX
Mizuno MP-18 4-9 C Taper Lite X
Mizuno T7 46/53/58
Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

Is there a difference between the face of the 440 and 460, like if its deep face or not? Titleist does the D3 which is deep face, which seems to work for my swing. I've never owned a Taylormade driver so I'm getting some research on them.

It really seemed deeper to me. Now if that's just an illusion because it's shorter from heel to toe or not, I'm not 100% certain.

I'm wanting to say yes, because I vary my hits more high/low rather than heel/toeish. My hits are 99% from middle to toe, rerely on the heel. Since the middle/toe part of the club is the largest from top to bottom, it really helped my misses.

I was fit by the Taylormade Rep last Saturday. I brought in my current M1 and shaft. I tried out the 2017 460 M1, M2 and 440 M1. The 440 gave the same or better numbers than my current M1 and much better than the 2017 460 M1 and M2. Needless to say, I ordered a 440 M1.

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Hit this on trackman against the new m2, epic.

New M2 is loud and harsh, couldn't get over it.

Epic felt effortless but was spinning a little high even with different shafts. ~2900.

440 M1 was hitting rockets. Fitter put in an xlr8 63x and I had average 8 mph ball speed gain over my 816. 160+ ball speed for the first time in my life. Launch 14* with 2050 spin.

Shape is better than the 460 imo. Would break the bank to put this club together ($800 or something quoted) but dang I was loving it.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

Does anyone know how good Taylormade is at hitting swingweights for custom length orders? Looking at ordering with stock HZRDUS yellow at 44.75" instead of 45.5".

Mine and my brother's custom TM AB drivers came in dead on the stock SW. Of course a lot variables, we both took off a half or maybe it was 3/4". With the MWT of the M's, it's really not an issue, just up the stock weights a few grams.

Has anyone seen any aftermarket or OEM weights available yet? My M1 440 has the open hotmelt port, but I'd like to do some testing with different weights before I have hot melt added and sealed up. I do not care to put lead tape on it. Currently it's @ C9 and I'd like to get it up to D3-D4. Mine came with the two weights which when I checked they were 12g and 13g. I have also confirmed that the old M1 weights will not fit the new M1 heads.

440 is definitely a winner to me. :good:

If I was carrying 300 with the 440 head, I wouldn't be looking for a different shaft to try. :hi:

Yeah think this is s good fit with a low spinning head. Yesterday I tried HZRDUS black and was getting crazy low spin like 1300-1600. Ball speeds were a little lower also

I'll be going to Golftown this friday and will spend some time with whatever M1 440 they have on the shelf. Interesting to see the shape in person, if its better than the 430. I've got the shaft dilemma to deal with (and making sure TM doesn't tip any custom order low/low selection I make because it has to be input manually - the TM Canada website stinks - you have to order custom through the store, hence the probability of human error to request a tip change to 1" soft).

Will try the hzrdus yellow and go from there. Hzrdus red tipped as standard 1 inch is an interesting option (which would get it to low-mid vs mid) and the red is no upcharge! I have a quick transition so not sure if the red would even work tipped- but told it is more stiff tip than say the matrix red.

Also on the list is the obligatory rogue rip i/o 60x ($200 upcharge) or graphite design tour ad tp 60x ($200 upcharge). Other option is rip i/o 125msi 60x of the Bay for $200 USD. Perhaps the plan will play out as getting the hzrdus red and then order the 125msi as a secondary option. Praying the hzrdus red is in the fitting cart....

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I'm getting the 460 M1 for review soon, but I may try to find a 440 in store to compare. Highly doubt I will (damn being lefty) but basically no heads I've been able to hit can get me to my optimized conditions.

I'm hoping with the right shaft finally, I can get pretty darn close with the new M1 and weight forward. Not sure why but I produce a ton of spin. I'm in OP's boat, swing average 114-115, but can hit 120 if I get extremely aggressive. Most drivers put me in the 2600+ range which is too high for my 14* launch or so. If I can find a head/shaft combo that keeps my ball speeds over 160 @ 2000-2100 RPM, I'm in.

I just recently got the 2016 M1 430cc. The 2017 440cc is really tempting.

Ditto!!!

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

Any way you can post a top view pic comparing the m2 to the m1 440?

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

M1 440 could be a game changer for a lot of folks this year. It's a BIG improvement on the 430 from last year. I was hitting it considerably longer and about the same dispersion as the 460. The thing I like best about it vs the 460 is I was able to easily control the ball flight. Draw and fade aren't as important to me as being able to control the trajectory. I was easily able to launch low stingers that didn't over spin, which is really important to me. On the same token I could launch it high on command for a nice tail wind shot. The 460 didn't feel quite as nice and the control just wasn't there. I could certainly work it more left to right with the 440 as well, but again, that's not as important to me as trajectory.

I really thought I'd be bagging a 2016 M2 all season long, but I'd be stupid not to pick up an M1 440 as soon as I've got the money

Any way you can post a top view pic comparing the m2 to the m1 440?

I'll try and get some added tonight..

Thxs!

Rife Phenom.Z 34”