Maxfli, the next Top Flite?

Bag Chatter

By R Hetzel

maxfli.jpgTaylor Made just announced the unloading of the Maxfli brand name to big box retailer Dick’s Sporting Goods this week.

This announcement was not really all that surprising. Taylor Made has allowed the Maxfli brand name to languish in a saturated golf ball market. Taylor Made had recently jumped back into the ball market with their TP Red and TP Black premium golf balls. The only Maxfli that was hanging on to any sort of acceptable sales numbers was the Noodle. Not surprisingly, Taylor Made is keeping the Noodle name within their brand strategy. According to Yahoo Finance,the price of the Maxfli brand sale will be kept confidential. You can bet that big box retailers Dick’s Sporting Goods and Golf Galaxy will be selling looking to sell a bunch of Maxflis in the very near future.

In the past, Maxfli made some excellent performance oriented golf balls. The Black Max immediately comes to mind. Of course, the Noodle has always been a top seller. It seems like Maxfli is now destined to be the next Top Flite. The Top Flite brand was swept under the rug by Callaway, becoming an afterthought practically overnight. Only recently has Top Flite, rather their parent company, Callaway, tried to ressurect the Top Flite brand with the introduction of the new D2 series and the Gamer. Unfortunately, it may be a little bit too late for this once proud golf ball label. I don’t see Top Flite as a major player any time soon. I hope that Maxfli can survive into the fututre.Maxfli has been around the block and it is a shame that this brand will most likely be watered down in some shape or form. Will they now be known as a harsh feeling, two for one, big box deal of a golf ball? If so, that’s too bad. It is surprising that after a failed foray into the ball market during the mid 1990’s (remember the Innergel) TaylorMade used their brand name ahead of an established, and possibly more marketable Maxfli name. However, it appears TaylorMade had a plan in place. They relied on the Maxfli brand to bridge the gap, if you will, until research and development of the new TP series was ready for tour level battle. According to Dean Snell, TaylorMade's Senior Director of Research and Development, "In the price point that we are dealing with today for TaylorMade’s golf balls to be the best products in each category we weren't going to put TaylorMade on there until we were ready with that product. Today we are ready." They waited patiently until the appropriate time when the new TP ball that was being developed was worthy of the Taylor Made nameplate. They wanted to develop a real tour level presence, and now they have it. It looks like the re-branded TaylorMade Noodle will fill the void nicely a few rungs down in price point.Will it be long before another once proud golf ball line starts doing guard duty on the shelf, right next to the Top Flite? Maybe, maybe not.

View the full article

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sad to see this happen to maxfli...i used to play the revolution and a10 balls and thought they were the best balls available at the time...

Tm Stealth 2 plus proto driver w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Green 60

Tm Stealth 2 #3 and 5 woods w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Blue 70

Tm P7mc 4-pw w/ KBS $ taper 130 soft stepped 

Tm MG3 50,54,58 w/ KBS Tour

Tm Spider X Tour w/ KBS One Step putter

Tp5x balls

Vessel Carry bag

Cannot disagree more. Maxfli, with its ownership by Dicks, is destined to become a glorified range ball in the mold of Slazenger. Cheap, durable, distance only, all value - little performance.

With TopFlite, I have to give Cally credit.. Their strategy of marketing the TopFlite as a value, distance brand, but with quality seems to be paying off with their hook (dimple in dimple design). Within 2 years, I predict it will be back on solid footing in its target market.

Maxfli - RIP.

With TopFlite, I have to give Cally credit.. Their strategy of marketing the TopFlite as a value, distance brand, but with quality seems to be paying off with their hook (dimple in dimple design). Within 2 years, I predict it will be back on solid footing in its target market.

Maxfli - RIP.

Yep. I love the D2s and am looking forward to trying the gamer.

I think the Maxfli A10 is a good example of what Dick's can do to a ball. The new "titanium" A10 balls are cheap rocks compared to the original model.

Sad to see this happening.

When I first started playing Maxfli was a sub-brand of Dunlop and was amongst the top brands in golf equipment.

When I started to play decent golf and settled on a particular ball, I played a Maxfli DDH and then an DDH HT balata. Fantastic balls and every bit as good as the Titleist of the day. The old green, white and red bags and, latterly the burgundy, gold and white bags were a familiar sight on tour, and the clubs were in the hands of some great players.

To see an evocative name like Maxfli slide into mediocrity and become a budget ballmaker is a real shame.

The Hogan name has been similarly butchered too, and Slazenger are now a lauging stock of a golf company after being the club of choice at one time for a certain spanish genius named Ballesteros. Oh dear.But 'that's progress' presumably and I don't have a business degree from Harvard so what do I know?

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Ironically Maxfli castrated their brand name with the success of the Noodle. While it was a great $20 ball, you can't have a value product as your flagship ball and still be a major player in the premium ball industry.

They tried desparately to regain footing in that market with countless variations of the 'Revolution' followed by the Black Max, but it was an unwinnable battle.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

[quote It seems like Maxfli is now destined to be the next Top Flite. The Top Flite brand was swept under the rug by Callaway, becoming an afterthought practically overnight. Only recently has Top Flite, rather their parent company, Callaway, tried to ressurect the Top Flite brand with the introduction of the new D2 series and the Gamer. Unfortunately, it may be a little bit too late for this once proud golf ball label. I don’t see Top Flite as a major player any time soon.

I don't know what lies in store for Maxfli, but I disagree with your analysis of Top-Flite. Callaway did not make Top- Flite an after thought. Top Flite had a very large market share until 2000 when Titlest introduced the Pro-V1 and killed The Top-Flite Strata market. Before the Pro V, Top-Flite had the bisggest piece of the solid core performance ball market. They also had a large share of the low priced hard distance ball market. From that point until Splading sold the Top Flite name to Callaway they lost market share. Callway did NOT sweep the Top-Flite barnd under the rug. They re-invented it, to make it a poor man's performance ball. In a short time has brought the Top-Flite back to being a brand to be reckoned with. The D-2 line was and is a big success. They have now added the Gamer and the Freak to the Top-Flite brand and retain their XL lines which they sell at stores like Wal-Mart and Target. It is definitely NOT too little too late for Top Flite and they are still serious a player in the industry. Not close to Accushnet (Titlest/Precept), no other brand is, but a serious player none-the-less.

I just bought 5 dozen maxfli fires so I dont know whats going on but this is a solid ball. Im going to continue to stock up through ebay with this because they can be had for so dam cheap.

Driver - Ping G425 LST 10.5 w Ping Tour 65XS
3 Wood - Ping G425 Max 14.5 w Ping Tour 75XS
Utility - Callaway Apex UW 19 w HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Irons - Callaway Apex 19 Smoke w KBS C-Taper Lite 115X
Gap Wedge - Titleist Vokey SM8 48.10 F w S400 Dynamic Gold Tour
Sand Wedge - Titleist Vokey SM8 54.10 S w S400 Dynamic Gold Tour
Lob Wedge - Titleist Vokey SM8 60.12 D w S400 Dynamic Gold Tour
Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Squareback

It is definitely NOT too little too late for Top Flite and they are still serious a player in the industry.

Serious Player in the ball industry? How many Touring Pros are currently playing a Top Flite? Zero, me thinks. Serious player for less expensive golf balls, yes.

I really liked the Strata balls and Callaway wished them away, in favor of marketing it's own branded balls.

They left Top Flites to be the sub $25 ball brand.

I bet you never see a tour level Top Flite again, or a Hogan tour level ball for that matter....

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

It is definitely NOT too little too late for Top Flite and they are still serious a player in the industry.

Serious Player in the ball industry? How many Touring Pros are currently playing a Top Flite? Zero, me thinks. Serious player for less expensive golf balls, yes.

I really liked the Strata balls and Callaway wished them away, in favor of marketing it's own branded balls.

They left Top Flites to be the sub $25 ball brand.

I bet you never see a tour level Top Flite again, or a Hogan tour level ball for that matter....

The majority of players aren't playing tour level balls, and tour endorsements don't mean much to most people buying balls. The discount ball market is the majority of the ball market and Top Flite is still the biggest name there.

I like the D2 balls too...they are good cheap golf balls.

i have to agree this is by far the best ball for the money. i play and shoot consitantly in the mid 70's with the D2 and hope when the GAMER is available it will perform with the big boys. i have no trouble playing and shaping the D2 so i think the GAMER will improve even more. but who knows i will probably continue with the D2. BYE BYE MAXFLI.

Titleist sells MORE golf balls than any other brand. This is right from Fortune Brands Press release. It doesn't even include So Lo, NXT and Pinnacle offerings...

Whether the measurement is in dozens, market share, worldwide Tour player and win counts, or usage by average golfers, the momentum and milestones of the Pro V1 are significant:

* Over 43% of all Golf Ball Dollars On-Course in 2006, according to Golf Datatech.

* Pro V1 and Pro V1x On-Course market share was greater than the collective and combined brand shares of Bridgestone, Callaway, Nike, TaylorMade, Top-Flite and Maxfli in 2006, according to Golf Datatech.

* Pro V1 has been the best-selling golf ball model On-Course and Off-Course since March 2001.

* Since 2000, over 100,000 players, 900 wins and $1.6 billion in winnings have been recorded across the worldwide professional tours with the Pro V1 golf ball models.

Top Flite might rule at KMart but that's it, overall they are nowhere near as big as Acushnet.

Titleist sells MORE golf balls than any other brand. This is right from Fortune Brands Press release. It doesn't even include So Lo, NXT and Pinnacle offerings...

Whether the measurement is in dozens, market share, worldwide Tour player and win counts, or usage by average golfers, the momentum and milestones of the Pro V1 are significant:

* Over 43% of all Golf Ball Dollars On-Course in 2006, according to Golf Datatech.

* Pro V1 and Pro V1x On-Course market share was greater than the collective and combined brand shares of Bridgestone, Callaway, Nike, TaylorMade, Top-Flite and Maxfli in 2006, according to Golf Datatech.

* Pro V1 has been the best-selling golf ball model On-Course and Off-Course since March 2001.

* Since 2000, over 100,000 players, 900 wins and $1.6 billion in winnings have been recorded across the worldwide professional tours with the Pro V1 golf ball models.

Top Flite might rule at KMart but that's it, overall they are nowhere near as big as Acushnet.

Your own statistics tell the story. They have to limit it to on-course numbers to get the results they are looking for. Most people don't buy their balls at the course. They buy them at Edwin Watts, Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy and gasp even Wal-Mart and Target. Titleist isn't winning the golf stores, and they are non existant in sporting goods and department stores.

It's true that off-course ball sales account for a large proportion of the total, and I'd certainly agree that Titleist aren't the leader in the two piece/distance/budget categories.

Titleist don't really market to that segment of the ball market though; their whole strategy is built aroud on-course sales and they cater to the golfer who is willing to pay for a premium product.

Where I play, my pro estimates that Titleist balls account for something like 60% of ball sales. An army of people simply buy Pro V1 or NXT Tour balls as a matter of habit without even considering the other brands. There's still a large percentage of the golfing public for whom golf ball=Titleist.

Say what you like about Titleist (and since the legal schenanegans kicked off, there's a large contingent who do) but their marketing strategy over the last twenty years relating to golf balls has been little short of brilliant. They've essentially got a decent proportion of the golfing public (and an even more decent proportion amongst 'serious' players) who are, essentially, a captive audience.

Many brands would give their eye teeth for brand loyalty and exposure like that.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Your own statistics tell the story. They have to limit it to on-course numbers to get the results they are looking for. Most people don't buy their balls at the course. They buy them at Edwin Watts, Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy and gasp even Wal-Mart and Target. Titleist isn't winning the golf stores, and they are non existant in sporting goods and department stores.

It looks to me like they didn't limit if to on-course numbers. Although I can't imagine regularly spending $50/doz. on golf balls (which is the sale price here in Canada), there is a sizable percentage of the population that has no problem with it. These are the same folks that will pull out a new ball when it is scuffed whereas I would bet that the average Top Flite user gets more play out of his balls (no pun intended). I'm quite surprised by this market dominance myself, but it is possible given that the type of people that buy Titleist would probably be the folks that play more rounds each year and are less likely to waste lots of time looking for their balls in the second cut (gold bless them) aside from durability issues.

• 4 months later...

Maxfli was once storied. Red Max and Black Max were really good, but "Maxfli @ Dick's" is much worse than Top Flite's situation. DICK'S AREN'T EVEN IN CALIFORNIA!...A golf-mad state where you can play year-round!! So no Maxfli's in all of Cali. ?? It's like Tommy Armour Golf being only available at Sports Authority.

SIGNS O' THE TIMES, I GUESS.

I too would take issue with the characterization of Top Flite in the lead post. With the Top Flites, they're totally re-branded (pretty accurately and effectively) as affordable performance for the "average" golfer who cares what the price is. (which if you read-up, it turns out the average golfer plays 5-7 rounds per year and you're now considered an AVID golfer if you play just 10-12 times a year) Yet Top Flites are available everywhere, and I agree, the D2 Feel and Gamer are very good for the $$.

Unlike Top Flites, Maxfli will not be considered in various comparative golf tests, like Slazenger, (or others) which are no longer available on-course. Therefore, Maxfli is essentially dead. RIP old friend.

RBZ TP 9.5* RIP'd NV 65
TM R11s - 14* - RIP Alpha 70
TM Rescue '11 TP - RIP 85
Cleveland CG16 Tour - TT DG
Cleveland 588 Forged Wedges
Forged Yes "Callie f" Blade

The NOODLE was not included in the Maxfli fire sale. Noodles are still part of TM.