To all the arm lock users

Comments

• 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,186 ✭✭
    Wdwfreak wrote:

Big thing for me, and I'm trying it bryson style really upright pendulum motion is to get the right length. He uses a 43" putter and he's 6'1" and im 5'11" and obviously there's other considerations but I could not get it to work for me at all and I realized it was just simply too long with my long arms and shorter stature. To be legal it needs to not extend past your elbow and I found the right length for me is 39" and if it gets any longer it just didn't work at all. The only thing I need to figure out now is that I've got the heel off the ground and need a 72-73 degree lie angle. The stability has been really good it becomes SO simple to just lock it in and rock the shoulders. Big thing to experiment with now is headweight I've got a kuchar model 1 at 400 grams which seems awfully heavy and I want to try more like bryson at around 360 grams.

Bryson's putter has a lie angle of 76*.
  • Deuce78Deuce78 Members Posts: 1,243 ✭✭
    I will have to post some pics of my arm lockers...
    TM M5 [email protected] HZRDUS T1100 65g 6.5
    PING G410 [email protected] HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5 
    PING G410 17.5 HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5
    Nike vapor fly pro 2 iron black tie 105x
    MP32/712mb/MP69/714mb/MP4/s55/900 Tour/iblade/5-7-965 combo/MP63/iblade 3-PW
    Vokey sm6/Tour Gorge/TVD/black Glides
    NIPPON 1150gh X flex/kbs tour V 120x/Steelfiber 125x
    Kuchar #1/Lamont Mann Custom ARM LOCK/custom Arm Locks-Scotty, Odyssey, TM
  • WdwfreakWdwfreak Golf Pro - Wisconsin Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭

Wdwfreak wrote:

Big thing for me, and I'm trying it bryson style really upright pendulum motion is to get the right length. He uses a 43" putter and he's 6'1" and im 5'11" and obviously there's other considerations but I could not get it to work for me at all and I realized it was just simply too long with my long arms and shorter stature. To be legal it needs to not extend past your elbow and I found the right length for me is 39" and if it gets any longer it just didn't work at all. The only thing I need to figure out now is that I've got the heel off the ground and need a 72-73 degree lie angle. The stability has been really good it becomes SO simple to just lock it in and rock the shoulders. Big thing to experiment with now is headweight I've got a kuchar model 1 at 400 grams which seems awfully heavy and I want to try more like bryson at around 360 grams.

Where'd you get this info? I do believe you're right I went to 75 and it's still a little heel off the ground. My final specs at 5'11" and pretty long arms is 40" and 76 degree lie angle.
    Taylormade M3 460 8.5 HZRDUS T1100 75X
    Titleist 915fD 3 Diamana White 80-TX
    Titleist TS2 5 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 8TX
    TItleist AP2 718 4-6 DG X100
    Titleist 718 MBs 7-9 DG X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7s 46F DG x100, 50F, 56S, 60M DG S400
    SIK Pro-C Arm Lock 40"
  • hardpan1hardpan1 Members Posts: 39 ✭✭

I hAd the Betti too but never got used to the 7* of loft. I use a standard putter played up in my stance. I feel as though my left leg,left arm and putter shaft are all lined up. Imagine leaning your entire left side against a wall. That's my setup.

I have a Betti that Was at 5* and had the same problem...bent it to 2* and much better...recently read on WRX that Kucher has his at 2.5* so he must play the ball fairly forward..
    It depends on how they measure loft, there is milled head loft and loft measured from the shaft. I bet the milled loft is 2.5 and the shaft is more around 8. My shaft loft is around 10. I have multiple armlock putters. It all depends on where your elbows are, if they are bent and by your hips, then more loft is needed, if you hang your arms straighter, like dechambeau, then less loft is needed. EVERY PERSON'S loft, lie, and length is unique for their arm lock putter.
  • tgg27tgg27 Member Members Posts: 96 ✭✭
    I just did a putter fitting on the putt lab thing. I came out with 5 degree loft and 74.25 lie on my 40.5" SIK arm lock. I'm 5'10" and once they made the adjustments everything was right on line. I was missing to the right when the lie was at 71 degrees.
    My ITB changes too frequently to keep up with it here.
    Wdwfreak wrote:

Wdwfreak wrote:

Where'd you get this info? I do believe you're right I went to 75 and it's still a little heel off the ground. My final specs at 5'11" and pretty long arms is 40" and 76 degree lie angle.

I asked SIK putters for his lie
    What are his specs?

Posting some arm lock eye candy....
    I saw that Adam Scott has started arm locking...
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,802 ✭✭
    We had an arm locker win at Dubai today and an another one finish second at Torrey Pines. I put the over/under at 2 years from now until the USGA bans the method.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
    Yeah I'm afraid of that, for now, I like it because it works better for me. I enjoy playing for fun with a traditional blade, but it does work better for players, usually those that had a long or belly putter before. It obviously works pretty dang well for adam Scott and Bryson, and Kuchar for that matter. Look at the scientist, he wouldn't touch it if it was not proven better for him to utilize it. Scott hasn't made a putt since the ban, but sure did well at Torrey. Kuch is routinely putting well...Webb Simpson hasn't excelled but hes still on tour....
    Deuce78 wrote:

Yeah I'm afraid of that, for now, I like it because it works better for me. I enjoy playing for fun with a traditional blade, but it does work better for players, usually those that had a long or belly putter before. It obviously works pretty dang well for adam Scott and Bryson, and Kuchar for that matter. Look at the scientist, he wouldn't touch it if it was not proven better for him to utilize it. Scott hasn't made a putt since the ban, but sure did well at Torrey. Kuch is routinely putting well...Webb Simpson hasn't excelled but hes still on tour....
    Webb has made 5 million last year armlocking. I would say he is excelling.

And i was told Bryson had two different putters for green speed but its 76* lie angle which is what i was interested in.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,854 ✭✭
    Anyone know more details on Adam's putter?
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • swizbeatzswizbeatz Members Posts: 5,612 ✭✭

We had an arm locker win at Dubai today and an another one finish second at Torrey Pines. I put the over/under at 2 years from now until the USGA bans the method.

That would suck for me
    Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,068 ✭✭
    I wonder if we are going to see more models released from now on with the growing popularity.
    Cobra F9 Tour Length
    TM M2 DF 16.5° 
    Irons TBD
    Cobra King Pur 54°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    TW Ardmore
  • coopscoops Members Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    You can always try a counter balance length putter with an armlock grip on it.

Works well for me, as I also play it forward towards left foot, as i am left eye dominant.

Seemore Giant FGP counterbalance model with the armlock2 grip fitted

(Need to strip the poly layer off the grip as the heat/humidity here kills this plastic [email protected], and replace with leather wrap)

Nice, let's get some more pics of everyone's arm lock gamers!
    Messing around on the puttin' green, 3 dead center from 12 feet...
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,892 ✭✭

Yep. But they will probably allow a free drop from yellow hazards to try to “ even it out “. Lol.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
    I think it would be hard for them to ban arm locking. I say that because it was not very long ago they revised the rules and made the changes they felt were correct. It took a very long time for them to make the decision to ban anchored putters. Arm lock is not anchored, the grip end moves during the stroke...its going to be around a long time...which is great for me. Haha.
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,802 ✭✭
    Deuce78 wrote:

I think it would be hard for them to ban arm locking. I say that because it was not very long ago they revised the rules and made the changes they felt were correct. It took a very long time for them to make the decision to ban anchored putters. Arm lock is not anchored, the grip end moves during the stroke...its going to be around a long time...which is great for me. Haha.

I hope you're right, because I've been arm locking for years and it made me a much better golfer. I swear, the first time I arm locked, I actually felt what it was like to hit a putt solid. And I think I've hit every putt solid in the 5 years since. It still feels awkward to me though; as Bladehunter mentioned, it physically hurts, but it's so worth it to actually make some putts.

Since I've seen a bunch of golfers on tour who sucked on the green suddenly turn into decent to great putters with arm lock, I've started to practice with a conventional putter, just in preparation for a ban. The USGA has a pattern. When the Adam Scott's, Webb Simpson's, Jason Dufner's, Bryson D's of the world switch en masse to a certain method and it changes their games, they look for ways to ban it. Doesn't matter if it matches the current definition of anchoring. They will make an amendment that includes fixing the shaft to an arm. You can make every argument for why fixing the shaft to an arm that they did for anchoring.

Get ready for it arm lockers. I'd bet most of my life savings on this method getting banned.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,892 ✭✭

Deuce78 wrote:

I hope you're right, because I've been arm locking for years and it made me a much better golfer. I swear, the first time I arm locked, I actually felt what it was like to hit a putt solid. And I think I've hit every putt solid in the 5 years since. It still feels awkward to me though; as Bladehunter mentioned, it physically hurts, but it's so worth it to actually make some putts.

Since I've seen a bunch of golfers on tour who sucked on the green suddenly turn into decent to great putters with arm lock, I've started to practice with a conventional putter, just in preparation for a ban. The USGA has a pattern. When the Adam Scott's, Webb Simpson's, Jason Dufner's, Bryson D's of the world switch en masse to a certain method and it changes their games, they look for ways to ban it. Doesn't matter if it matches the current definition of anchoring. They will make an amendment that includes fixing the shaft to an arm. You can make every argument for why fixing the shaft to an arm that they did for anchoring.

Get ready for it arm lockers. I'd bet most of my life savings on this method getting banned.

I agree with you 100%. When the bad putters get better. They start looking. I’d bet with you. And honestly don’t want to see it. It would be easy to ban. And they hate Bryson so there’s lots of motives. Lol. ( mutual hate I think ).
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • Titleist983KTitleist983K Members Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I hope they don't ban it. I've always been a traditional length guy and planned on starting to get serious and play tournaments again in the upcoming few years. I planned on buying an arm lock putter and really practicing hard with it for the next few months. Sounds like I should probably stick to the traditional length instead of switching to something that could be banned in the coming years. Frustrating....
  • airjammerairjammer Members Posts: 988 ✭✭

I think it really starts the powers that be thinking when kids start adopting. They are the future of the tour. Even though I used it briefly in the past I don’t think it should be allowed..the butt of the club is not free to move.
  • vmanvman Members Posts: 1,228 ✭✭
    The powers that be will act on arm locking if the rise of it's success continues and the next generation start adopting it in numbers. Similar to the belly putter, which influenced the anchoring ban, if Majors are won with it it will become a subject for further investigation with a view to, not banning the actual putter, but the attachment/anchoring to the forearm.
    CALLAWAY EPIC SUB ZERO 10.5*
    CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP 14.5*
    ADAMS PRO MINI 18*
    CALLAWAY APEX 4-A
    CALLAWAY MD4 RAW 52* 58*
    ODYSSEY TUTTLE FLOW 35"
    Guys two hands are on the grip, you cant make the grip sit on your arm it's not anchored, but does rest against the arm and the but can release off of the arm very easily during the stroke.

Also, I feel like it makes my short putter technique better for those with any concerns of it impacting your short putter stroke. I have both short and arm lock putters and use both. When I am "on" with the short putter it is better in speed and line, but my arm lock is more consistent over all. If anyone wants to try it, dont let someone's speculation prevent you from trying it.

Also, DM me if you have any questions, I have put together multiple arm lock putters.
    I too went to it for short putts, think like yip range 1-2 feet. Was a good putter but would blow a couple of those under pressure. Starting on line and hitting more solid putts has carried over to every distance.
  • K13K13 Members Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited Jan 29, 2019 6:34pm #59
    cardoustie wrote:

They talked about it a little on the telecast. Believe it was a custom prototype Cameron Fastback. 7 degrees of loft? 6 degrees per Adam Scott in Golf.com Wall to Wall equipment article.

My question - I've seen a few of the older posts in this thread note that they place the ball right off the left foot. And I've also seen that most of the arm lock putters are much more lofted because of the natural forward lean. But wouldn't placing the ball up off the left foot negate and add more loft to the putter in the setup?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    I play it maybe slightly forward from a traditional. I think you need to mess around with one to see, people will have slightly different specs. The older betti models have way more offset to account for the higher loft than their last two models and would be played further back by most people I think.
    karlin13 wrote:
    cardoustie wrote:

They talked about it a little on the telecast. Believe it was a custom prototype Cameron Fastback. 7 degrees of loft? 6 degrees per Adam Scott in Golf.com Wall to Wall equipment article.

My question - I've seen a few of the older posts in this thread note that they place the ball right off the left foot. And I've also seen that most of the arm lock putters are much more lofted because of the natural forward lean. But wouldn't placing the ball up off the left foot negate and add more loft to the putter in the setup?

There are many factors in play with one's preferred posture and your desired playing length, how har it goes up your arm, the lie angle, arc, ball position, all work together to compute your needed loft, and hopefully it looks good with whatever the milled loft of the putter face is...