CBS coverage Jon Rahm

tigers9iron

I know a lot of guys were in the mix but we didn't see any coverage of the winner Jon Ram until the 13th hole on Sunday. It was well into the back 9 when they flipped to McCord who introduced Rahm to the viewers with a brief bio then he holed an eagle putt and was your new leader. They showed him maybe 3 or 4 times after that and said here's your winner folks. Just seemed odd. The casual viewer probably didnt even know he was in the field until late in the coverage Sunday.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone wants to up their game going into a new year except CBS...they continue to suck and don't seem to care one bit about it.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I'm not usually one to defend golf broadcasts, but it was a tough situation with so many people in contention and then Rahm coming on really strong at the end. He was 3 off the lead making the turn and the leaderboard was packed! After he made the eagle on 13 to vault into the lead, they showed most (almost all) of his shots coming down the stretch.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

who has better golf coverage then cbs

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Didn't seem odd to me. He came out of the pack quickly. It was a fabulous win for the young man.

Me either. Up until the 11th hole he was a few shots back with a lot of guys in between him and the lead. He was -6 on the last 8 holes so thats when they started showing him? Hindsight is 20-20 but not sure when else they should have started to show him?

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Didn't seem odd to me. He came out of the pack quickly. It was a fabulous win for the young man.

Agree, Was a pretty jammed up leaderboard, think there were a 5+ guys at 10 or 9 under, and then the eagle put him out out in front.

Course if it was Tiger, they would have shown every shot, his headcover, him picking his nose, stupid Tiger!

Me either. Up until the 11th hole he was a few shots back with a lot of guys in between him and the lead. He was -6 on the last 8 holes so thats when they started showing him? Hindsight is 20-20 but not sure when else they should have started to show him?

I agree. I've followed this young man for a while. Something about him exudes "champion". Personally, I love all these young guns coming to the front.

Admittedly, I do only see CBS through the link up with Sky Sports but CBS is usually the worst broadcaster from that perspective. They seem to be quite consistently the provider which shows the least amount of golf and on occasion actually seeing a golf shot is scarce before the next advert kicks in.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I thought their coverage yesterday was fine, but was still keeping with CBS's standards. 2 parts commercials and 1 part golf - and usually just putting. Overall their coverage has really gotten worse over the past few years and I would agree that watching the european tour coverage is much more enjoyable if you want to see actual golf shots. Yesterday was good for the drama and lead changes and also seeing the young guns compete for the trophy. Didn't understand them vaulting Rahm to the best 22 year old though as there are plenty of very good golfers that are 22 or 23 right now (ever heard of Jordan Speith?).

When the coverage came on weren't the leaders on 8-9 or around there? And Rahm was a couple of holes ahead of them. Doesn't seem that bad

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If they would model more after the EuroTour coverage, they would show a lot more golf, and a lot more golf viewers would be happy. When I watch Euro tour golf, I feel like I understand the entire top half of the field in under an hour.

Not only would they show more golf, I wouldn't have to listen to their incessant talking. Euro announcers "get it" and let the golf speak for itself where we get constant chatter to fill up would could otherwise be dead air.

But as far as the topic of the thread is concerned, and as some have mentioned, I'm not really sure when else they would have showed him given the packed leaderboard and when he charged up it. I thought it was well done for what the situation was.

the coverage yesterday was awful. its being discussed by many ...including No Laying Up, geoff Shackelford, and thousands ripping it on twitter.

its not just the lack of Rahm coverage, its the absolutely awful coverage in general. we occasionally get a full swing shot mixed in with the nonstop tap in putts, commercials, surfers, beach views, talking heads in the booth, and more commericals. golf on tv is quickly becoming unwatchable even with DVR.

i could hire 20 fans to carry GoPro's during an event and get better coverage than what CBS is getting with their manned cameras in the tower.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

I'm not usually one to defend golf broadcasts, but it was a tough situation with so many people in contention and then Rahm coming on really strong at the end. He was 3 off the lead making the turn and the leaderboard was packed! After he made the eagle on 13 to vault into the lead, they showed most (almost all) of his shots coming down the stretch.

I agree with this. For one brief moment on Sunday there were 10 guys tied for the lead at -8. When they're piecing the story line together on the fly in the production trailer its hard to anticipate who is going to emerge from a pack like that.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

the coverage yesterday was awful. its being discussed by many ...including No Laying Up, geoff Shackelford, and thousands ripping it on twitter.

its not just the lack of Rahm coverage, its the absolutely awful coverage in general. we occasionally get a full swing shot mixed in with the nonstop tap in putts, commercials, surfers, beach views, talking heads in the booth, and more commericals. golf on tv is quickly becoming unwatchable even with DVR.

Oh, I certainly don't disagree with this. I don't need to see whales, paragliders, two talking-heads chatting, etc. I wish they showed more golf. But in the golf they did show, I can understand why the Rahm coverage was limited to his back nine.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I think Dottie is the most professional of the bunch. McCord trying predict if a player will make or miss every putt is tiring. Faldo is mailing it in and you can tell. Nance is a tool, but damn, he has great gig to go right from the NCAA tournament to Augusta. #cbsgolfsux

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

i could hire 20 fans to carry GoPro's during an event and get better coverage than what CBS is getting with their manned cameras in the tower.

I won't disagree with the fact that the "coverage" was terrible as a whole given I really wasn't able to see a lot of full shots but some of the things that I have seen them getting criticised for is completely asinine. There's no way to cover everything that happened and make everybody happy with the situation that they were given. Granted, showing less whales and people wandering around on the beach probably would have provided the ability to show more golf shots; but what do I know?

CBS sucks, plain and simple. I never thought I'd say this, but golf channel's coverage was much better... but still leaves something to be desired. I don't understand why they can't show more golf. With the advent of replay, you can show more shots in a shorter amount of time. The problem now is if they go to a guy who hasn't been heard of all day, you pretty much know he's going to make the putt or hit an amazing shot. Deeeeeeead giveaway!

If they would model more after the EuroTour coverage, they would show a lot more golf, and a lot more golf viewers would be happy. When I watch Euro tour golf, I feel like I understand the entire top half of the field in under an hour.

Not only would they show more golf, I wouldn't have to listen to their incessant talking. Euro announcers "get it" and let the golf speak for itself where we get constant chatter to fill up would could otherwise be dead air.

But as far as the topic of the thread is concerned, and as some have mentioned, I'm not really sure when else they would have showed him given the packed leaderboard and when he charged up it. I thought it was well done for what the situation was.

I just always feel like on Saturday and Sunday AM's with Euro coverage, I get a full account of where 1 through 32 stand, or essentially the top half of the field remaining. So even with Rahm a few out, if that had been in India, I would have known/seen a lot of Rahm's good shots due to how they televise it. I wasn't much bothered by it overall yesterday, but did find it as odd as when Simpson won at Olympic and no one saw any of his shots.

I guess what I don't understand is why w/ all the technology we have, and all the open green space on a golf course can they not just superimpose a fed ex logo on the fairway (similar to the first down line on football) and say something to the effect of "The 13th hole brought to you by Fed Ex, your leader in the clubhouse for all your shipping needs." Not ideal I know, but better than cutting to commercial. Then do the same thing on a green w/ another sponsor. Heck it seems we only see 2-3 types of commercials anyway. Good lord how many times did we see that Rory Watch commercial.

Sell ad space on the pro tracer. We can all say the Konika Minolta Biz Hub Swing vision by heart. But ya know what I don't mind that because when they use it they are staying on golf. It just seems that golf is not looking at the tech we have today and how to implement it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Nike Vapor Pro Blades 5-PW
Nike Unitized Putter
Nike Covert Driver
Nike Engage Wedges
Nike CPR 5 Wood (yes the original CPR)
NIKE Sasquatch 3 Wood

CBS sucks, plain and simple. I never thought I'd say this, but golf channel's coverage was much better... but still leaves something to be desired. I don't understand why they can't show more golf. With the advent of replay, you can show more shots in a shorter amount of time. The problem now is if they go to a guy who hasn't been heard of all day, you pretty much know he's going to make the putt or hit an amazing shot. Deeeeeeead giveaway!

Ya! Usually a chip in or a hole out. Followed by a club toss into the air, a lame player-caddie high five, and the announcer, "oh, my, and look at the reaction! You think he is happy with that shot?!"

I know a huge proportion of air time will be commercials. But with 70 guys out there playing golf, why waste a single minute of the remaining "coverage" time on canned features, after-round interviews, shots of two guys chatting in the broadcast booth and those risible cutaways to Kostis or Dottie standing in front of some gadget banging on at random?

And then to add insult to injury, the vast majority of time not spent on commercials and non-golf-coverage nonsense is shown on putting. What do you figure, maybe 80% putting and 20% full swings or is it less than that?

Admittedly, I do only see CBS through the link up with Sky Sports but CBS is usually the worst broadcaster from that perspective. They seem to be quite consistently the provider which shows the least amount of golf and on occasion actually seeing a golf shot is scarce before the next advert kicks in.

They sure showed a lot of ocean shots and people stand up paddle boarding and hang gliding. Not unlike TGC when the Hawaii swing rolls around. We get it, these places are beautiful but we're tuned into to watch golf, show us the golf!

You mean you're not into predictions, projections, analysis, personal opinions and recaps after every shot?

Love watching the Euro coverage. They do a better job at letting the golf speak for itself rather than telling the viewer what they should be thinking.

You mean you're not into predictions, projections, analysis, personal opinions and recaps after every shot?

Love watching the Euro coverage. They do a better job at letting the golf speak for itself rather than telling the viewer what they should be thinking.

Bang on. European Tour Coverage both TGC and Sky Sports always allows for this the golf to showcase itself. The commentators also keep quiet and don't babble on about senseless stuff most viewers already know.