Raven Phoenix vs Legacy Golf

Elliebarley1978Elliebarley1978 Members Posts: 481 ✭✭
Looking for details on these two courses Raven and Legacy

both a short drive from the airport so it will improve our chances of playing a full round the day we arrive.

Both seem to have good reviews

Playing in the first week of March 2017

Any suggestions or semi current reviews would be great. a few of the past threads are around 5 years old . appologize if i missed a current one

staying in Mesa. so if you have other suggestions...

Thanks

Comments

• EnzogorlamiEnzogorlami RuidosoPosts: 137 ✭✭
    The legacy has stellar practice facility, more open of a course compared to the Raven. Both are in good shape, probably still not much roll in the fairways. Legacys greens probably will run faster than the Raven. The Raven is lined in pine trees on every hole but they never really come into play unless you shank one. Both not worth the 120 they are charging. I like the Raven more though.
    Driver: Ping G400 max 
    3 Wood: Callaway BB alpha 815
    Hybrid: Adams Red 18 degree
    Irons: Bridgestone J40 4-pw
    Wedges: Sm7 52,56,60
    Putter: TaylorMade spider tour black 
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,156 ✭✭
    Both courses designed by Gary Panks so there are a lot of similarities in the features.

Raven is more of a core routing, while Legacy is routed through real estate corridors although, the width is generous and the housing is not intrusive at all. Both are very walkable.

Raven introduced itself as a sort-of pine tree studded parkland course. I never warmed to the idea, seemed forced and out of place. Over the years, it seems they have lost a lot of the pines (duh), so it's not the main focus.

I haven't been out to either course for several years but I had always been more attracted to Legacy simply because it always seemed to play firm and fast. Raven on the other hand, always seemed wet and soggy as the green presentation was more of the focus. Can't speak to current conditions.
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 Members Posts: 2,767 ✭✭
    Raven is currently in poor shape; Legacy is in very good shape. Not much of a decision currently.
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭
    Neither are great but both have some good aspects I prefer Legacy simply because I think it has more solid holes. Raven feels a bit repetitive at times.
  • Elliebarley1978Elliebarley1978 Members Posts: 481 ✭✭
    edited Feb 2, 2017 #6
    Raven is currently in poor shape; Legacy is in very good shape. Not much of a decision currently.

Thanks for the replies!!

what's wrong with Raven? Condition wise? Is it slow? Just less attention to detail?

When did the new owners take over? Has it gone downhill since then?

Any info would be great
  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,352 ✭✭
    It's just not in good shape, especially for $120, new owners took over when it started going down and it's only gotten worse.
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
    I also have an opportunity for legacy for both around 55-75 dollars. Anymore current info / reviews on these would be great. Seems like it is a mixed bag on preference. Thanks again guys!
  • DrSchteeveDrSchteeve Members Posts: 3,379 ✭✭

I also have an opportunity for legacy for both around 55-75 dollars. Anymore current info / reviews on these would be great. Seems like it is a mixed bag on preference. Thanks again guys!

Practice facilities are great. For a relatively nondescript "resort" the service is quite good. The course - for me - is "meh". Some good holes, mostly OK holes. Too much random sprinkling of bunkers not always strategically placed.
    Callaway Epic Driver Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
    Callaway Epic 3+ wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
    Titleist 818 H1 18* and 21* Tensei Blue
    Titleist 818 H1 25* and 27* Tensei Red
    Titleist 818 AP1 7-SW Tensei Red
    Vokey SM4 58* M Kuro Kage
    TM Spider Tour
    OUUL stand bag
    Titleist Velocity
    edited Feb 7, 2017 #10
    Quite honestly I m ok with not a perfect layout. I'm not sure any layout will be perfect in everyone's eyes. But what I cant stand is sub par conditions. If it was between those two courses does legacy take the cake in terms of conditioning? This is what I'm hearing so far...
  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,352 ✭✭
    Yes
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,156 ✭✭

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1424406-2017-phoenix-area-course-conditions/page__st__120#entry14942084
  • DrSchteeveDrSchteeve Members Posts: 3,379 ✭✭
    teejaywhy wrote:

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry14942084

That is so two days ago.
    Callaway Epic Driver Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
    Callaway Epic 3+ wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
    Titleist 818 H1 18* and 21* Tensei Blue
    Titleist 818 H1 25* and 27* Tensei Red
    Titleist 818 AP1 7-SW Tensei Red
    Vokey SM4 58* M Kuro Kage
    TM Spider Tour
    OUUL stand bag
    Titleist Velocity
  • Double KDouble K Members Posts: 717 ✭✭
    Are we back to asking for up-to-the-minute course updates again?
    Titleist 913D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
    Titleist 913F 15* Project X X-flex
    Adams 22* Hybrid
    Titleist 710 AP2 4 - PW
    Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
    Scotty FuturaX or Tank Cruiser #7 Scotty Newport 2
    Double K wrote:
    Are we back to asking for up-to-the-minute course updates again?

Whatever gets your panties in a knot.
  • I played legacy a couple days ago. $37 golf now, got in 15 holes before sunset. Prefer legacy but neither is special. Layout was a little boring. I generally don't like Gary panks designs. Conditions were firm & fast but non playing areas were ugly. The green were large with tiers but very bumpy. Great practice facility. They were out of carts right until I was ready to play, the starter had to give me his cart. Very Bad pace of play. Overall I'm glad I tried it but I'm in no rush to go back.
  • Looking to book 1 last round the day before we leave and someone suggested Raven. I know this is 2 years old, but they played it in Feb 2019 and said it was good (They were visiting from out of town) . Anyone have any recent feedback on it. They want $165 for the rack rate.

Here's the rest of my lineup-
    LongBow
    Copper Canyon
    Papago
    Ranch Manana
    WickenBurg Ranch

Ping G400 LST - Driver
    Ping G400 - 3 Wood
    Ping G400 - 19 deg Hybrid
    Ping G400 23 deg Crossover
    Ping I200 Irons (5-9)
    Ping Glide 2.0 Wedges - (46/52/58)
    Ping Vault 2.0 B60
  • RohlioRohlio Members Posts: 2,310 ✭✭

@5 O'Clock Charlie said:
    Looking to book 1 last round the day before we leave and someone suggested Raven. I know this is 2 years old, but they played it in Feb 2019 and said it was good (They were visiting from out of town) . Anyone have any recent feedback on it. They want $165 for the rack rate.

Here's the rest of my lineup-
    LongBow
    Copper Canyon
    Papago
    Ranch Manana
    WickenBurg Ranch

Raven is in fine shape right now....but just like 2 years ago Legacy is in better shape. You should be able to get a solid rate on Teeoff.

WITB:
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
    FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
    Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
    Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
    Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle